Tutorial for Samsung Gear Watch Designer

Search This thread

tha700

Nov 17, 2017
Hi.
As some of you have expressed the desire to know how to create your own watch faces, I have started working on a tutorial. To begin with, it will be a slide presentation. I will also try to create a video tutorial, but time does not allow for that right now.
Here's a quick sampler. The aim is to create something that is easy to follow, where you can benefit from the 9 months of trial & error I went through to get from zero ability to a more advanced stage in using the Gear Watch Designer tool. I believe this fast-track method if used with sincerity will, hopefully, allow some of you to reach my level in perhaps 9 days, not nine months. Try out this sampler tutorial and see how easy it is to create nice watch faces. The components are also displayed, which you can save and use in the tutorial.
Thanks.

Basic Tutorial on designing your own watch face in Gear watch designer:
Tutorial_Title_v4_Slide0.png

Tutorial_Sampler2.png

Tutorial_Sampler1a.png

Tutorial_Slide4a.png

Tutorial_Sampler4a.png

Tutorial_Sampler5a.png

Tutorial_Slide7.png

Tutorial_Slide8.png

Tutorial_Slide9.png

Tutorial_Slide10a.png

Tutorial_Slide11.png

Tutorial_Slide12.png

Tutorial_Slide13.png

Tutorial_Slide14.png

https_s8.postimg.org_hgju2feph_Omega_Hour_Hand.png

https_s8.postimg.org_jme4we7px_Omega_Minute_Hand.png

https_s8.postimg.org_8msxku711_Omega_Seconds_Hand.png

Omega_Pic5.png

Last edited:

tha700

Nov 17, 2017
so once I've made my watch face, how do I share it with a friend without putting it on the marketplace?
Hi.
If you received the recent update, then Samsung have now given you a share function. You should long press the watch face on your watch, it will bring up 2 icons. The one on the left is a share button. Press it and follow the prompts.

Otherwise, you can send your friend the GWD file for the watch face. However, they will need to load it in the Gear Watch Designer tool and build it to load onto their watch.

Thanks.

Nov 24, 2014
Hi.
If you received the recent update, then Samsung have now given you a share function. You should long press the watch face on your watch, it will bring up 2 icons. The one on the left is a share button. Press it and follow the prompts.

Otherwise, you can send your friend the GWD file for the watch face. However, they will need to load it in the Gear Watch Designer tool and build it to load onto their watch.

Thanks.

so if I share it that way it brings up my contacts, so I figure I just put them in there and it sends. If I do it this way, they don't need GWD?

tha700

Nov 17, 2017
so if I share it that way it brings up my contacts, so I figure I just put them in there and it sends. If I do it this way, they don't need GWD?

Yes, that's the idea. I did try it when I received my update, and went as far as doing the send to my contact from the watch, but have not checked if it got there. If you are successful, maybe you will let us know the result.
Thanks.

Nov 24, 2014
Hi.

Thanks.

Yes, that's the idea. I did try it when I received my update, and went as far as doing the send to my contact from the watch, but have not checked if it got there. If you are successful, maybe you will let us know the result.
Thanks.

when you click on the link it sends, I get this:

XDWBB5C.png

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

looks like it's trying to link to it on the samsung app store which it is not there because I haven't put it on there and they probably won't approve it

tha700

Nov 17, 2017
when you click on the link it sends, I get this:

XDWBB5C.png

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

looks like it's trying to link to it on the samsung app store which it is not there because I haven't put it on there and they probably won't approve it
You could send a message to Samsung support to get clarification. As far as I know, they have not provided much info on how this new feature should work. I would not have expected it to have any connection with the app store, however, it would be good to know.
Thanks.

Motawa88

Oct 9, 2011
Hamburg
is it possible to show the seconds hand moving in always on like the stock watch faces?

Also, I added a .gif for the background but it isnt moving?

tha700

Nov 17, 2017
is it possible to show the seconds hand moving in always on like the stock watch faces?

Also, I added a .gif for the background but it isnt moving?
Hi.
No for both. Samsung has not given us the option to place moving objects or any motion in the AOD. Reason being, it was developed to stay on always and to save battery drain, they don't allow motion as yet.
Thanks.

shazeem

Dec 11, 2011
Hey,

I get this message while trying to build, Set OPR of Always On State under 15%. how do i do that?

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
you mean to lower the brightness in the device to under 15? or in the gear deisgner? how to do that? I'm a newbie in this!

You have to lower how bright the images are on the actual design for the AOD. When you select the images in GWD, move to the right panel and you can set brightness levels there (you can use opacity too). This includes hands, face, any image that is in the AOD.

g0tch

Dec 29, 2009
Somerset
Smart Watches
I made a watch face way back in the days of GWD 1.2
I’d like to make another but my old head forgot how to add 3 things that the old one had.

1. Tap the top and battery % would show
2. Tap right and day and date would show
3. Tap left and steps would show

Could any kind person point me in the right direction to achieve this in GWD 1.5
Promise I will write it down for next time.
Kind regards,

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
I’d like to make another but my old head forgot how to add 3 things that the old one had.

Could any kind person point me in the right direction to achieve this in GWD 1.5
Kind regards,

The process is pretty much the same for all 3.
- In the left side add Text box (Normal Text), place it where you want to press each function
- On the right side in the "Properties" top right side click the down arrow next to the 3 horizontal bars and "Set as button"
- Choose the Action tab.
- In the drop down next to "Action", select "Open App", and choose the app you want to open.

Edit** and you have to set each text font opacity slider to 0% so the text becomes see through

Last edited:
Reactions: meatgel

g0tch

Dec 29, 2009
Somerset
Smart Watches
- In the left side add Text box (Normal Text), place it where you want to press each function
- On the right side in the "Properties" top right side click the down arrow next to the 3 horizontal bars and "Set as button"
- Choose the Action tab.
- In the drop down next to "Action", select "Open App", and choose the app you want to open.

Edit** and you have to set each text font opacity slider to 0% so the text becomes see through

Many thanks for your reply.
It has now brought back some of old memories of doing it years ago and the job is done.
The only question I'd like to ask is, how to delete old/unwanted watch feces from GWD? It seems to keep files at 3 different places on my computer and I'm sure it's embedded in some file like log or xml. After deleting the old .gwd and .tpk files, they still show up when GWD started.

Kind regards,

Last edited:

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
Many thanks for your reply.
It has now brought back some of old memories of doing it years ago and the job is done.
The only question I'd like to ask is, how to delete old/unwanted watch feces from GWD? It seems to keep files at 3 different places on my computer and I'm sure it's embedded in some file like log or xml. After deleting the old .gwd and .tpk files, they still show up when GWD started.

Kind regards,

I'm not sure about that one. I've not deleted any from my stash

amejlvang

Jun 15, 2012
Copenhagen
2 quick questions from a newbie:

Have anyone found a way to change the animation fps in the 1.5 version?

Is it possible to build customizable watchfaces in gear watch designer? Fx include 5 different color versions? And if.. how?

Mshahan

Jan 15, 2018
Creating a watch face for my brother when I don’t have a watch

So my brother told me that if I learned how to make a watch face, he would wear WHATEVER face I created for a week.

Long story short, I’ve created a really nice Hello Kitty one. There is a little icon where the Kitty’s red bow starts to disappear as the battery goes down. I’m pretty impressed with myself.

So is it possible to get him the watch face when I don’t even have a watch? I tried to build it, but it looks like it requires me to test it out on my own (non-existent) watch.

Thoughts?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi.
    As some of you have expressed the desire to know how to create your own watch faces, I have started working on a tutorial. To begin with, it will be a slide presentation. I will also try to create a video tutorial, but time does not allow for that right now.
    Here's a quick sampler. The aim is to create something that is easy to follow, where you can benefit from the 9 months of trial & error I went through to get from zero ability to a more advanced stage in using the Gear Watch Designer tool. I believe this fast-track method if used with sincerity will, hopefully, allow some of you to reach my level in perhaps 9 days, not nine months. Try out this sampler tutorial and see how easy it is to create nice watch faces. The components are also displayed, which you can save and use in the tutorial.
    Thanks.

Basic Tutorial on designing your own watch face in Gear watch designer:
    Tutorial_Title_v4_Slide0.png

Tutorial_Sampler2.png

Tutorial_Sampler1a.png

Tutorial_Slide4a.png

Tutorial_Sampler4a.png

Tutorial_Sampler5a.png

Tutorial_Slide7.png

Tutorial_Slide8.png

Tutorial_Slide9.png

Tutorial_Slide10a.png

Tutorial_Slide11.png

Tutorial_Slide12.png

Tutorial_Slide13.png

Tutorial_Slide14.png

https_s8.postimg.org_hgju2feph_Omega_Hour_Hand.png

https_s8.postimg.org_jme4we7px_Omega_Minute_Hand.png

https_s8.postimg.org_8msxku711_Omega_Seconds_Hand.png

Omega_Pic5.png

Kind regards,

- Choose the Action tab.

I've got latest Java installed in Windows 10 Pro 64-bit although stupid GWD setup keeps saying that I haven't...

Please what on Earth shall I do to skip that bug without having to run everything on a 32-bit VMware Windows 10 Pro machine? :rolleyes:

Try this:
    Go to where your GWD is installed and add a folder called jre. In that folder create a folder called bin. (This is all lower case)
    Now go to where you have Java installed, click on bin and find javaw.exe. Copy that file and paste it in the bin folder you created in GWD. I had this problem last November and it solved it for me and still working.
    Regards,
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/gear-s3/themes/gear-watch-designer-problem-t3702206
    Thank you, but unfortunately the Java error message is the first thing that comes up when launching the setup. [emoji53]

You did copy the javaw.exe not java.exe? If so, I'm sorry it didn't work for you. Hope someone else can chip in with a solution.
    Regards,

Mine looks like this:
    I am unable to download the watch designer tool from samsung developers. Anyone have the current version handy?
    I'm on the same boat.. i have contacted samsung but still no response from them.
    All links look broken from samsung developers.