Tutorial for Samsung Gear Watch Designer

Search This thread

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
So my brother told me that if I learned how to make a watch face, he would wear WHATEVER face I created for a week.

Long story short, I’ve created a really nice Hello Kitty one. There is a little icon where the Kitty’s red bow starts to disappear as the battery goes down. I’m pretty impressed with myself.

So is it possible to get him the watch face when I don’t even have a watch? I tried to build it, but it looks like it requires me to test it out on my own (non-existent) watch.

Thoughts?

To get him the watch, you and he would need to be on the same Wi-Fi network as his watch. Thats the only way I know of getting it to the watch

Cr4z33

Oct 14, 2011
Salento, Italy
I've got latest Java installed in Windows 10 Pro 64-bit although stupid GWD setup keeps saying that I haven't...

Please what on Earth shall I do to skip that bug without having to run everything on a 32-bit VMware Windows 10 Pro machine? :rolleyes:

g0tch

Dec 29, 2009
Somerset
Smart Watches
I've got latest Java installed in Windows 10 Pro 64-bit although stupid GWD setup keeps saying that I haven't...

Please what on Earth shall I do to skip that bug without having to run everything on a 32-bit VMware Windows 10 Pro machine? :rolleyes:

Try this:
Go to where your GWD is installed and add a folder called jre. In that folder create a folder called bin. (This is all lower case)
Now go to where you have Java installed, click on bin and find javaw.exe. Copy that file and paste it in the bin folder you created in GWD. I had this problem last November and it solved it for me and still working.
Regards,
https://xdaforums.com/gear-s3/themes/gear-watch-designer-problem-t3702206

Reactions: Cr4z33

Cr4z33

Oct 14, 2011
Salento, Italy
Try this:
Go to where your GWD is installed and add a folder called jre. In that folder create a folder called bin. (This is all lower case)
Now go to where you have Java installed, click on bin and find javaw.exe. Copy that file and paste it in the bin folder you created in GWD. I had this problem last November and it solved it for me and still working.
Regards,
Thank you, but unfortunately the Java error message is the first thing that comes up when launching the setup. [emoji53]

g0tch

Dec 29, 2009
Somerset
Smart Watches
Thank you, but unfortunately the Java error message is the first thing that comes up when launching the setup. [emoji53]

You did copy the javaw.exe not java.exe? If so, I'm sorry it didn't work for you. Hope someone else can chip in with a solution.
Regards,

Mine looks like this:

Attachments

• Java.PNG
    Java.PNG
    6.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Reactions: Cr4z33

Cr4z33

Oct 14, 2011
Salento, Italy
You did copy the javaw.exe not java.exe? If so, I'm sorry it didn't work for you. Hope someone else can chip in with a solution.
Regards,
I actually didn't check that yet. :)

I will have a look once at home and post again.

---------- Post added at 15:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

Nothing to do. :(

I manually created those GWD folders and copied javaw.exe, but as soon as I run the setup the messages keeps coming up.

g0tch

Dec 29, 2009
Somerset
Smart Watches
Is it the same error I got way back in november? If not, it might be a different problem but the instruction I gave you solved that error.

Attachments

• attachment.php.png
    attachment.php.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 185

rogerperk

Aug 11, 2010
North Carolina
Question - I want to go directly to BT to turn it on and off. Not have to work through Settings. Is there an APK for just that function that I can link a button on the watch face to? Or some way to get just that on the pulldown? Thanks!

motoatrix

Mar 1, 2011
Dallas
Where do you all go to download designer watch faces and hands? I searched but all I see if images with faces and hand already attached.

SidEwigk

Dec 25, 2007
Hi, i have a little (i hope so^^) Question.
Im searching for a technique to highlite specific points/Numbers/Parts of the Watchface for a time of 1, 2 ore 3 Seconds/Minutes/hours/days. But i cant get a good solution. Anyone have an Idea?

morgfarm1_

Aug 14, 2018
Hi, i have a little (i hope so^^) Question.
Im searching for a technique to highlite specific points/Numbers/Parts of the Watchface for a time of 1, 2 ore 3 Seconds/Minutes/hours/days. But i cant get a good solution. Anyone have an Idea?

Not sure if THIS is what you mean, but, most of us just use a custom index. In my earliest test faces i took a pre-made index from the sample directory, loaded it into my graphics software and tweaked it around a bit. So, if you're doing analog, it's just a graphical thing.

If you mean the font in a digital form, That's a whole different beast. That would involve a font where 1, 2, 3, 6 and 9 are all larger, but in doing so you'd also impact the minutes and seconds, AND of course 2:22 for example would all be the huge font.

Gdv92

May 19, 2012
Hi all,
if I want to reproduce the tourbillon's movement, I have it to load in GWD the tourbillon's miniature, put on top and let it the turn? Is this the option? Otherwise can you help me with another solution, please?

The watch I want to reproduce is the Vacheron Constantin Maitre Cabinotier Astronomica that I really love! The problems is the it has 15 complications, in the front it has in addition to the hours and minutes, eleven complications are displayed on the front side: minute repeater chiming hours, quarters and minutes, equation of time, tourbillon, perpetual calendar, date, day of the week, month, leap years, power reserve, sunrise and sunset times.
Is it possible to reproduce it completely on GWD?
Thank you so much!!!

matthias.schmidt

Sep 15, 2015
Hi mates..
could anyone please tell me how to convert rgb colors to that strange color mode in the designer tool?
Strange because the hue does not go from 0 to 360 but from -180 to +180...
Text can be colored in rgb, the rest (e.g.hands) needs the other format..
Thx..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi.
    As some of you have expressed the desire to know how to create your own watch faces, I have started working on a tutorial. To begin with, it will be a slide presentation. I will also try to create a video tutorial, but time does not allow for that right now.
    Here's a quick sampler. The aim is to create something that is easy to follow, where you can benefit from the 9 months of trial & error I went through to get from zero ability to a more advanced stage in using the Gear Watch Designer tool. I believe this fast-track method if used with sincerity will, hopefully, allow some of you to reach my level in perhaps 9 days, not nine months. Try out this sampler tutorial and see how easy it is to create nice watch faces. The components are also displayed, which you can save and use in the tutorial.
    Thanks.

Basic Tutorial on designing your own watch face in Gear watch designer:
    Tutorial_Title_v4_Slide0.png

Tutorial_Sampler2.png

Tutorial_Sampler1a.png

Tutorial_Slide4a.png

Tutorial_Sampler4a.png

Tutorial_Sampler5a.png

Tutorial_Slide7.png

Tutorial_Slide8.png

Tutorial_Slide9.png

Tutorial_Slide10a.png

Tutorial_Slide11.png

Tutorial_Slide12.png

Tutorial_Slide13.png

Tutorial_Slide14.png

https_s8.postimg.org_hgju2feph_Omega_Hour_Hand.png

https_s8.postimg.org_jme4we7px_Omega_Minute_Hand.png

https_s8.postimg.org_8msxku711_Omega_Seconds_Hand.png

Omega_Pic5.png
    I made a watch face way back in the days of GWD 1.2
    I’d like to make another but my old head forgot how to add 3 things that the old one had.

1. Tap the top and battery % would show
    2. Tap right and day and date would show
    3. Tap left and steps would show

Could any kind person point me in the right direction to achieve this in GWD 1.5
    Promise I will write it down for next time.
    Kind regards,

The process is pretty much the same for all 3.
    - In the left side add Text box (Normal Text), place it where you want to press each function
    - On the right side in the "Properties" top right side click the down arrow next to the 3 horizontal bars and "Set as button"
    - Choose the Action tab.
    - In the drop down next to "Action", select "Open App", and choose the app you want to open.

Edit** and you have to set each text font opacity slider to 0% so the text becomes see through

Try this:
    Regards,

Regards,

Mine looks like this:
    I am unable to download the watch designer tool from samsung developers. Anyone have the current version handy?
    I'm on the same boat.. i have contacted samsung but still no response from them.
    All links look broken from samsung developers.