[TUTORIAL][GUIDE][Root][How to] Root and TWRP for SM-N900W8 (Canadian variants)

Search This thread

choch69

Sep 27, 2013
You only have the option to click fix permissions. It does the rest for you.

sent from my Note 3
respect,teach,coach,say thanks and have fun...
●●●The Jedi way●●● ? ? ?

Oh okay. Just tried it and no result. Same error message. I'm going to try and flash an older version. Having trouble finding a link

Negan

Recognized Themer/ Retired Forum Moderator
Oh okay. Just tried it and no result. Same error message. I'm going to try and flash an older version. Having trouble finding a link

Here's an older version 1.34. I used this on my Galaxy Mega when I rooted it. It should be fine to flash.
http://d-h.st/ikN

sent from my Note 3
●●●The Jedi way●●● ? ? ?

choch69

Sep 27, 2013
url]http://d-h.st/ikN[/url]

hey man thanks for uploading the older version for me unfortunately that one doesn't work either and I am getting the same error. And now I am unable to flash the newer 1.65 version back it's saying failed in TWRP.

sent from my Note 3
●●●The Jedi way●●● ? ? ?
[/QUOTE]

Negan

url]http://d-h.st/ikN[/url]

hey man thanks for uploading the older version for me unfortunately that one doesn't work either and I am getting the same error. And now I am unable to flash the newer 1.65 version back it's saying failed in TWRP.

sent from my Note 3
●●●The Jedi way●●● ? ? ?
[/QUOTE]

Ok well you can always go and tey chainfire's method in his thread. I don't know what the outcome may give you though. Again at your own risk

sent from my Note 3
●●●The Jedi way●●● ? ? ?

choch69

Sep 27, 2013
Of I give up for now. I'll check back after thanksgiving weekend and hopefully an answer will present itself. If not I'll probably smash this phone and get a Z1.

Negan

Of I give up for now. I'll check back after thanksgiving weekend and hopefully an answer will present itself. If not I'll probably smash this phone and get a Z1.

Just be patient and enjoy your phone for now. When people get anxious they make mistakes and those mistakes make paperweights

sent from my Note 3
●●●The Jedi way●●● ? ? ?

Reactions: FatJap204

choch69

Sep 27, 2013
Ok guys enough. Just relax. Let's be respectful. No need for a flame war or the mods involved. This is to end now. My thread do not trash it. Back on topic. Thanks in advance lol!

sent from my Note 3
●●●The Jedi way●●● ? ? ?

Ok Im sorry, I love you.

Reactions: ultwill

Apra24

Oct 7, 2013
Alright guys, good luck with coming up with some workarounds to all of this knox security. I buckled and shipped my phone off to samsung repair, and it will be a long time before I even think of flashing anything on my phone when I get it back. Let's hope the community can completely rip these bootloaders apart and bypass knox.

Negan

Ok Im sorry, I love you.

Good now do me a solid and go delete all that iPhone crap from yoyr comment before. I understand you didn't like tkjeepers comment but he was trying to make a point which is to search search search and read read read. Don't take it to heart. He's actually doing you a favor even though you don't see it. Trust me I know him from jedi. He's a good guy

sent from my Note 3
●●●The Jedi way●●● ? ? ?

Negan

Has anyone had any luck with twrp yet...they seem to have the rc1 working well over in the TMO forum but no news for us canucks?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda premium

I believe it works just the same as ling as you don't restore efs

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk now Free

Reactions: force70

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DO NOT RESTORE A NANDROID BACKUP OR YOU WILL HARD BOOTLOOP

With today's launch of the Note 3 in Canada the first thing to do has got to be root and custom recovery! So enough talk let's get to it!

First I must mention that I did not invent this method and take no credit for it. I'm simply sharing the method which I used for all my Samsung devices

Remember that I take no responsibility for anything that happens to your device so as the user you assume all responsibility. Flash at own risk. If you brick or choke It's not my fault. I have tested this myself and confirm it working with the N900W8. I am with bell. However it should work just fine on the Rogers or Telus variants also. If you are a different variant and this method doesn't work DO NOT post that!!! If it does well that's a bonus. feel free to mention it.

This will void your warranty. This will increase your flash counter and also trip your Knox counter. At this point there is no method to reset your Knox counter and it may any repair claims may be denied due to this

Instructions:

***Please note you must have the reactivation lock turned off in settings/Security or you will get a FAIL message***

1. download and install the Samsung drivers
    2. enable usb debugging in developer options. (tap build number in about device 7 times to enable developer options)
    3. download Odin v3.09
    4. Download the .tar file which is your twrp recovery (thanks to Dees_Troy)
    5. download the updated Supersu zip (thanks chainfire)
    6. enter download mode by pressing volume down+home button+power. you will then need to push volume up to enter download mode. Or if you want to change your mind and enjoy the lag and bloat of stock, simply volume down to exit and reboot.
    7. ok so now that you're in download mode on your pc open up Odin (you may need to run as administrator)
    8. Connect your device to your pc and allow any drivers to install if it tries to.
    9. make sure that the auto reboot and f.reset time are checked only.
    10. you should see a box near the top left which should say something like: 0:[COM 6] but the number doesn't matter. As long as you see this you're ready to go
    11. Next you want to select the AP button and navigate to the .tar file you downloaded. Once selected hit START!
    12. You should see: "PASS" in the upper left box! This means you have successfully flased a custom recovery. Your phone will reboot as well.

Now that you have flashed TWRP you need to reboot into recovery to flash the SuperSU zip which will give you root access. be sure to have put the SuperSu zip in the root of your sd card for easy access
    1. reboot into recovery by pushing the volume up+home+power button
    2. once in recovery 1st do a nandroid backup
    3. After your nandroid is finished you will need to go into install.
    4. Navigate to where you put the SuperSu zip and flash.
    5. you should see sucessful!

Now reboot your phone and you should see the SuperSu app in your app drawer. confirm root by downloading a root access app like Titanium Backup and try to run it. It should ask you for root access.

That's it!
    Downloads:

TWRP 2.6.3 http://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/hltecan
    ODIN V3.09 http://d-h.st/jjn
    SuperSu v1.65 http://download.chainfire.eu/351/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip
    Samsung drivers:
    http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/SM-N900WZKEBWA

Also please note that as time passes there may be updates to superSU. You can find the update here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23427715

Same with odin. Check here for latest version: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2189539
    If you found this useful hit my thanks button with your finger like this ?
    Got the downloads going guys. Probably take an hour for both the bell and rogers to complete. Are any of you guys that are bricked on rogers?

sent from my Note 3
    ●●●The Jedi way●●● ? ? ?
    Ok guys hang tight I have to make a different .tar file in ext4format. Gonna take a while again to upload but I know we can do this guys. I know you're stressed hut we'll do this

sent from my Note 3
    ●●●The Jedi way●●● ? ? ?
    Ok guys one thing I found in the .tar file was a hidden knox file that I didn't even know about. It was not in the typical system/app folder. I don't wanna get too excited as it may have been found by other devs already. But I wouldn't be surprised if somehow knox was the culprit somehow with this ridiculous brickloop problem. So maybe just maybe....nvm
    I want a bricklooped tester later on if someone wouldn't mind testing who's already experiencing the bootloop problem. Must be the Canadian variant. Preferably on bell. Either my theory will save you ir you'll be right where you are now in brick mode. Not gonna be ready for a couple hours likely as I wanna cross all my t's and dot my i's

sent from my Note 3
    ●●●The Jedi way●●● ? ? ?