• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[TUTORIAL] How to create and install android bootanimations from scratch

Search This thread

aboalghool

May 19, 2012
you did everything but use notepad++ to write the desc with unix eol im guessing... you use notepad built into windows and itll break the scripts kuz its windows format and android cant read it

Sent from my N9100 using Tapatalk 2

i did everything too and also used the notepad++ to write the desc.txt but still isn't working
i put 86 .png pictures in part0 and did the desc.txt : 480 800
p 0 0 part0

i zipped them with winrar and made the mode changed to Store and still isn't working
is there something wrong i did?

Junkie2100

Mar 10, 2010
i did everything too and also used the notepad++ to write the desc.txt but still isn't working
i put 86 .png pictures in part0 and did the desc.txt : 480 800
p 0 0 part0

i zipped them with winrar and made the mode changed to Store and still isn't working
is there something wrong i did?

if youre using notepad++ but not modifying an already working one formatted for unix you have to change the EOL format manually. when you create a new file in windows its gonna default to windows format which is the same thing that breaks when you use notpad to edit an existing unix file

also, sometimes you can go overboard, certain phones can handle certain resolutions and certain color formats. the pngs may be the wrong color mode or something which will cause a failure. one time i tried to go from indexed color to rgb, got nothing but black screen

aboalghool

May 19, 2012
if youre using notepad++ but not modifying an already working one formatted for unix you have to change the EOL format manually. when you create a new file in windows its gonna default to windows format which is the same thing that breaks when you use notpad to edit an existing unix file

also, sometimes you can go overboard, certain phones can handle certain resolutions and certain color formats. the pngs may be the wrong color mode or something which will cause a failure. one time i tried to go from indexed color to rgb, got nothing but black screen

i did everything correctly and even downloaded the "boot animation factory" to preview the bootanimation and i could preview it. i flashed it on my phone and didn't work..

Junkie2100

Mar 10, 2010
i did everything correctly and even downloaded the "boot animation factory" to preview the bootanimation and i could preview it. i flashed it on my phone and didn't work..

as i said, different phones have different specs they can handle, boot animation factory being able to play it obviously doesnt matter... do what i said, check the EOL format of the .txt file, check the formatting of the original png files, check that the boot animation isnt 3 hours long, check that its not 1080p resolution, obviously something is wrong kuz if it was done right for that phone itd work on that phone

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

unpack the boot animation that was originally there and working, see what sizes things are, see what color formats they are, see what resolution its using in the description.txt, make sure that EOL is set properly

cisza

Mar 24, 2006
@<JohnCarter>, great tutorial!
But there is no information about small update that was introduced in JB.
In the new ROMs (from JB and higher), we can use the new letter - c.
probably many of you have noticed the change but only a few know what it is :)

for example in desc.txt:
1080 240 24
p 1 60 part0
c 1 0 part1
c 0 0 part2

c means that the entire part of the animation (eg part2) will be played even if bootup completes.

This gives the possibility of eye-catching animation completion with an additional visual effect (it all depends on your imagination ;))

Good luck with creating your own bootanimations :good:

Reactions: <JohnCarter>

<JohnCarter>

Jun 1, 2012
Ranchi
@<JohnCarter>, great tutorial!
But there is no information about small update that was introduced in JB.
In the new ROMs (from JB and higher), we can use the new letter - c.
probably many of you have noticed the change but only a few know what it is :)

for example in desc.txt:
1080 240 24
p 1 60 part0
c 1 0 part1
c 0 0 part2

c means that the entire part of the animation (eg part2) will be played even if bootup completes.

This gives the possibility of eye-catching animation completion with an additional visual effect (it all depends on your imagination ;))

Good luck with creating your own bootanimations :good:

Thanks bro.. didn't update the thread back then.. will do now.. ;)

pez123

Jan 21, 2014
Hi guys, im having trouble making my own on android 4.4 on the smartq watch..

If some one could help me make one and i can send you my file of the image that i would like.. could some one do this and then also let me know how to install it..

pez123

Jan 21, 2014
Hi guys, im having trouble making my own on android 4.4 on the smartq watch..

If some one could help me make one and i can send you my file of the image that i would like.. could some one do this and then also let me know how to install it..

Anyone able to help on a zip that has been done but replacing it with my image and then telling me how to upload it to make it work..
I cant do it grrrrr :(

sambuculus

Feb 5, 2014
I'm also having troubles, but I narrowed it down to the zipping process (I think). I even tried it with another person's working animation just to be sure.

If I download a finished animation and put it into my data/local/-Folder, everything works fine. But if I download it, unzip it, re-zip it* and then put it to data/local/, it won't play!

*I tried it on Win 7zip, Mac Terminal as well as Mac "Keka" App (an unofficial 7zip-port). Yes, I do know about choosing the "store" method.

So what else can go wrong with the zipping matter? I'm desperate!

Last edited:

infodsagar

Feb 15, 2013
rajkot
very good tutorial

thanks for this tutorial.
and information about bootanimation is also good. can u suggest me any online website to create a photo according to my phone size.

rassawyer

Aug 8, 2012
Hanover
www.rassawyer.com
thanks for this tutorial.
and information about bootanimation is also good. can u suggest me any online website to create a photo according to my phone size.

Check out gimp.org gimp is a full fledged program, not just a website, but its free, and will do what you want, plus a whole lot more. If you have any questions, pm me.

Sent from my Vivid 4G using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Can I use bootanimations for the xperia u?

Sorry I didn't get this in my last post. We will need to know your device to answer that question. I'm certain you can modify the bootanimation from the xperia u to fit your device tho.

fizic18

Dec 15, 2013
i did my bootanimation, just that im usig an lg l5 cm11 beta 4. so original bootanim was 330*330. photos used are 315*458. i just wrote in the txt 330*330 and it Works, stretching the picture and shrinking it also to that resolution(330*330). the problem is that i cant use my phone;s resolution or photo's resolution, only 330*330. other res just give me the android bootanimation. any help? also the boot animation factory can create the animations, but just cant push them to the phone, using adb, dunno why. i didnt tried to push using adb apks in the android. ty for your answers anticipately. i uploaded the 330*330 version and the normal picture rez( or lower cant remember exactly, maybe someone with cm11 and an lg l5 could try this also( regarding resolution, not that some of u would idolatrize my picture used in the bootanimation)

Attachments

• bootanimation.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • bootanimation2.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Junkie2100

Mar 10, 2010
i did my bootanimation, just that im usig an lg l5 cm11 beta 4. so original bootanim was 330*330. photos used are 315*458. i just wrote in the txt 330*330 and it Works, stretching the picture and shrinking it also to that resolution(330*330). the problem is that i cant use my phone;s resolution or photo's resolution, only 330*330. other res just give me the android bootanimation. any help? also the boot animation factory can create the animations, but just cant push them to the phone, using adb, dunno why. i didnt tried to push using adb apks in the android. ty for your answers anticipately. i uploaded the 330*330 version and the normal picture rez( or lower cant remember exactly, maybe someone with cm11 and an lg l5 could try this also( regarding resolution, not that some of u would idolatrize my picture used in the bootanimation)

well, the not being able to push the boot animation is that you have to remount system as writable. adb shell then su then mount -o remount,rw /system is usually the proper command for that

Sent from my ZTE N9100 using Tapatalk 2

fizic18

Dec 15, 2013
well, the not being able to push the boot animation is that you have to remount system as writable. adb shell then su then mount -o remount,rw /system is usually the proper command for that

Sent from my ZTE N9100 using Tapatalk 2

you kinda lost me on that way..... :D i;ve put the animation using root browser, had no problems this way. the main problem that i have is that from what i deduced is that cm 11 supports only 330*330 resolution for ba? i atached both bas that ive made, i think someone could look into them, i did not put a higher resolution than the one supported by the phone, not a bigger resolution than that of the pictures, so were is the problem?

rassawyer

Aug 8, 2012
Hanover
www.rassawyer.com
My bootlogo doesn't appear! instead, a blank screen appears. Does this have to do with me using photoshop with layers?:fingers-crossed:

As long as you exported the image(s) to PNG the layers were flattened when you exported it, so no, that wouldn't be the problem. Make sure your image(s) are in PNG format, numbered sequentially, and that your desc.txt file is setup correctly.

Junkie2100

Mar 10, 2010
you kinda lost me on that way..... :D i;ve put the animation using root browser, had no problems this way. the main problem that i have is that from what i deduced is that cm 11 supports only 330*330 resolution for ba? i atached both bas that ive made, i think someone could look into them, i did not put a higher resolution than the one supported by the phone, not a bigger resolution than that of the pictures, so were is the problem?

maybe the software wont support larger ones, i dont know really. but in the same respect people dont seem to be following my suggestion of using the original boot animations files and just modifying them. yes you made them proper sizes yes you made them png, but are they grey scale? indexed color? 8 bit? 16 bit? does it use interlacing? those are things that most people overlook

maybe things have changed since i did this but on my evo 4g it had to be indexed color or itd fail

try the stock boot animation on cm11 see how that goes and go from there

Sent from my N9100 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to create and install android bootanimations from scratch

This is a guide which tells you how to make a your very own bootanimation and install a bootanimation on your device.
    Please let me know if you made a bootanimation using this method so that every bootanimation made using this method can be posted here

Code:
    #This guide assumes that you are windows user and have - 
      1- 7 zip or winrar installed
      2- a image editing software (for ex-photoshop)  #

Bootanimation- what is it ?

Bootanimation basically is a collection of .png pictures that are projected on the screen one after the other quickly so that it looks like a animation , stored in a zip file

Prerequisites

1-you need a bootanimation.zip file [you can find them on google]

now if you have downloaded the bootanimation.zip file ,open it up

2- as you can see in the picture you find some folders in it named
    Code:
    "part0"    "part1"    "part2"
    and a desc.txt file .

d17e80fd.png

EXPLANATIONS
    folders like part0;part1,etc. STORE .png pictures of bootnaimation
    the desc.txt file contains all the necessary info to run bootanimation like resolution fps ,etc

EXPLANATION OF desc.txt

2cfbc55c.png

Code:
    As you can see in the image
       #1-it is the resolution of the bootanimation(you should basically use your device's resolution for ex - in the pic it is 320X480)
       #2-it is the fps(frames per second) of your bootanimation [higher the no. faster will your bootanimation play [B]a standard fps should be 30[/B]]
       #3-these are the folders which contain images for your bootanimation
       #4-it is a pointer to tell it to look at new commands
       #5-specifies the no. of times this section of bootanimation will play ( 0 means infinite)
       #6-defines pause in seconds before repeating or moving on next line (o means no pause 10 means 10 sec pause)

Fire it up el captain !!

we'll start making a bootanimation from scratch from here

#1-create a folder anywhere put in desktop for ease,let's call it
    Code:
    bootanimation

#2-open the folder and create another folder name it
    Code:
    part0

#3- With part0 created, it's time for you to start creating an image. To make it simple for beginning we'll make a simple one .So, using Photoshop as an example, create a new image which is the resolution of your handset. [like if ur on htc explorer use 320X480 or galaxy mini use 340X320] (if u don't know your device's resolution google it

#4-Give a black background to the image and take a image you wan't to fade in . paste it as a new layer and set the layer to 0% opacity
    so now you can only see a black background.

#5-now save the image in your
    Code:
    part0 folder
    and name it
    Code:
    image00.png

#6-now increase the opacity of your bootanimation by a narrow degree say 6%.now save it as
    Code:
    image002.png
    in the part0 folder

#7-repeat step 5 every time until you reach 100%.and each time save it as image003-image004 etc. in part0 folder

#8-open notepad and type this --
    Code:
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]
    1080 240 24
    p 1 60 part0
    c 1 0 part1
    c 0 0 part2

c means that the entire part of the animation (eg part2) will be played even if bootup completes.[/COLOR][/B]

Code:
    [B]change[/B] the 1080 240 with the resolution you are using

Thanks to @cisza for this info.. [images will be updated soon ]

#9- save it as :
    Code:
    desc.txt
    in the root of your bootanimation folder (not in part0)

#10- compress it using your archive manager say 7zip ;winrar,etc.
    imp: SET COMPRESSION METHOD TO STORE
    or else bootanimation WON'T work

p1_zpsugp31kmt.png

p2_zpsdp0malu2.png

congrats u just made a boot animation... and remember to share with us your bootanimation ;)

You can also use boot animation factory by RD despotovski01 It may help you with debugging and previewing and also creating bootanimations ;)

Installing bootanimations

To install your bootanimation just use root explorer to put it in system/media folder
    if using htc stock rom put it in system/customize/resources folder (make sure to rename it the bootanimation.zip to htc_bootup.zip )
    thanks

thanks alot for this....

1-made a 480x800 video,
    2-used video to photo converter (# of frames selected)
    3-used irfanview to rename them to image###
    4-created the folder.(part0)
    5-desc.txt
    6- used root explorer to paste that zip to resources folder in system...

worked like a charm....:)
    Thanks for the tutorial. I'll try it soon.
    What did I do wrong??

It just shows a black screen and sometimes doesn't even finish booting, so I have to delete it from recovery.

EDIT: Nevermind it workes now??????

m not gettin compression method "store" in 7 zip... :confused: