• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[TUTORIAL] How to create and install android bootanimations from scratch

Search This thread

The Analog Kid

Dec 5, 2013
Ok. Right now it is three times that I've been forced to reflash ROM just because a bootanimation refuses to properly work (I've never, ever had to do this before). Bootanimation starts just fine until it get stuck and then phone never ends booting. Needless to say, I got no custom recovery simply because there is no custom recovery for this LG G3 version, so reflashing is in order. Got to say that I did this bootanimation fully based on the stock one, by means of just replace the resized images trick. I've made two versions this way; version one is working flawless, but the second (which involves 'nexus' bootanimation images and is much more simple in that matter) is the one that refuses to work, despite it has the very same 'desc.text' information. Am I missing something or anyone has a hint of what is possibly going wrong? Assuming you might need the samples, I'm into putting them in Google Drive, if requested... Thanks in advance

CNK80Q3MX uses G3-D693n & XDA mobile

der_RAV3N

Dec 2, 2013
plus.google.com
Hello there :)

I'm actually on a new bootanimation with this tutorial, but one thing, that bugs me, is, that I use Illustrator/Photoshop at the moment, and with 30 fps thats quite a lot files to save and things to change again and again..

Anyone of you knows a nice tool to just animate things right away? I thought of using after effects maybe.. but thats a bit of an overkill, isn't it?^^

SilverSix

Sep 18, 2014
Hello there :)

I'm actually on a new bootanimation with this tutorial, but one thing, that bugs me, is, that I use Illustrator/Photoshop at the moment, and with 30 fps thats quite a lot files to save and things to change again and again..

Anyone of you knows a nice tool to just animate things right away? I thought of using after effects maybe.. but thats a bit of an overkill, isn't it?^^

Look for some software that can convert video to frames. VLC is an option but it lags my computer. ImageGrab is another piece of freeware and it worked for me (even though it needs Haali and ffdshow and wouldn't recognize them after installation; the guy who made ImageGrab has two custom(?) installers for Haali and ffdshow available on his site and those worked)

As for Photoshop, and this is something I just learned last night, you can do batch operations. Photoshop > File > Scripts > Image Processor... - this takes you to a window that asks for a folder of images, then can resize them and save them as JPEG, PSD, or TIFF. Since we want PNG, I used an extra step, described here.

TL;DR:

1. Extract your frames using some video-to-frames/animation software. Save them in folder X
2. In Photoshop, go to File > Scripts > Image Processor...
3. Select folder X, select output folder, select "Save as PSD", and resize image as appropriate.
(NOTE: This is where you resize your images. The upcoming script doesn't resize them for some reason)
4. Go to take a shower or to work out. It'll do it's own magic.

5. Go to this page and right click at the bottom where it says "Download it here" and save target file. It's a JBK file. If you're skeptical, you can open it in a text editor. It's just a script for Photoshop.
6. In Photoshop, go to File > Scripts > Browse...
7. Select the JBK file. In the first prompt, select the folder where the PSD images are. In the second prompt, select the output folder.
8. Play a game or hit someone up to chat. It'll be done by the time you come back.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

der_RAV3N

Dec 2, 2013
plus.google.com
Look for some software that can convert video to frames. VLC is an option but it lags my computer. ImageGrab is another piece of freeware and it worked for me (even though it needs Haali and ffdshow and wouldn't recognize them after installation; the guy who made ImageGrab has two custom(?) installers for Haali and ffdshow available on his site and those worked)

As for Photoshop, and this is something I just learned last night, you can do batch operations. Photoshop > File > Scripts > Image Processor... - this takes you to a window that asks for a folder of images, then can resize them and save them as JPEG, PSD, or TIFF. Since we want PNG, I used an extra step, described here.

TL;DR:

1. Extract your frames using some video-to-frames/animation software. Save them in folder X
2. In Photoshop, go to File > Scripts > Image Processor...
3. Select folder X, select output folder, select "Save as PSD", and resize image as appropriate.
(NOTE: This is where you resize your images. The upcoming script doesn't resize them for some reason)
4. Go to take a shower or to work out. It'll do it's own magic.

5. Go to this page and right click at the bottom where it says "Download it here" and save target file. It's a JBK file. If you're skeptical, you can open it in a text editor. It's just a script for Photoshop.
6. In Photoshop, go to File > Scripts > Browse...
7. Select the JBK file. In the first prompt, select the folder where the PSD images are. In the second prompt, select the output folder.
8. Play a game or hit someone up to chat. It'll be done by the time you come back.
thanks for reply, but that's not what i searched for :(
I searched for a way to easily make an animation which doesnt exist yet. If I would've a video already from it, no problem :)
In the meantime I experimented a bit with Adobe After Effects and it turned out to work quite good for this, only problem is, that for some reason my 6P(!) (1. Attempt, full image quality) end up in a bootloop after showing 2-3 frames of my bootanimation, (2. attempt, low image quality) really lag out on the first loop of the animation, then everything is perfectly fine.

bigbdroid

Dec 5, 2011
Rochester
I guess I missed something. I don't get what I'm doing wrong.

I'm using a rooted LG G Stylo (t-mobile). I followed the guide and copied my bootanimation.zip to my /system/media folder. All I get is a black screen or the original "Android" boot screen.

I have tried all bootanimation apps on play store. None work.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I don't have a computer

You can download my bootanimation.zip here

Last edited:

Dethfull

Jun 4, 2016
The desc file is not a simple txt, this file, haves a unvisible binary builted characters, formats, i never was able to edit my bootanims because this file.

Sent from my XT687 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Joshua_B.

Jul 10, 2016
Milan
How to create and install android bootanimations from scratch

This is a guide which tells you how to make a your very own bootanimation and install a bootanimation on your device.
Please let me know if you made a bootanimation using this method so that every bootanimation made using this method can be posted here

Code:
#This guide assumes that you are windows user and have - 
  1- 7 zip or winrar installed
  2- a image editing software (for ex-photoshop)  #

Bootanimation- what is it ?

Prerequisites

1-you need a bootanimation.zip file [you can find them on google]

now if you have downloaded the bootanimation.zip file ,open it up

2- as you can see in the picture you find some folders in it named
Code:
"part0"    "part1"    "part2"
and a desc.txt file .

d17e80fd.png

EXPLANATION OF desc.txt

2cfbc55c.png

Code:
As you can see in the image
   #1-it is the resolution of the bootanimation(you should basically use your device's resolution for ex - in the pic it is 320X480)
   #2-it is the fps(frames per second) of your bootanimation [higher the no. faster will your bootanimation play [B]a standard fps should be 30[/B]]
   #3-these are the folders which contain images for your bootanimation
   #4-it is a pointer to tell it to look at new commands
   #5-specifies the no. of times this section of bootanimation will play ( 0 means infinite)
   #6-defines pause in seconds before repeating or moving on next line (o means no pause 10 means 10 sec pause)

Fire it up el captain !!

we'll start making a bootanimation from scratch from here

#1-create a folder anywhere put in desktop for ease,let's call it
Code:
bootanimation

#2-open the folder and create another folder name it
Code:
part0

#3- With part0 created, it's time for you to start creating an image. To make it simple for beginning we'll make a simple one .So, using Photoshop as an example, create a new image which is the resolution of your handset. [like if ur on htc explorer use 320X480 or galaxy mini use 340X320] (if u don't know your device's resolution google it

#4-Give a black background to the image and take a image you wan't to fade in . paste it as a new layer and set the layer to 0% opacity
so now you can only see a black background.

#5-now save the image in your
Code:
part0 folder
and name it
Code:
image00.png

#6-now increase the opacity of your bootanimation by a narrow degree say 6%.now save it as
Code:
image002.png
in the part0 folder

#7-repeat step 5 every time until you reach 100%.and each time save it as image003-image004 etc. in part0 folder

#8-open notepad and type this --
Code:
[B][COLOR="Blue"]
1080 240 24
p 1 60 part0
c 1 0 part1
c 0 0 part2

c means that the entire part of the animation (eg part2) will be played even if bootup completes.[/COLOR][/B]

Code:
[B]change[/B] the 1080 240 with the resolution you are using

Thanks to @cisza for this info.. [images will be updated soon ]

#9- save it as :
Code:
desc.txt
in the root of your bootanimation folder (not in part0)

#10- compress it using your archive manager say 7zip ;winrar,etc.
imp: SET COMPRESSION METHOD TO STORE
or else bootanimation WON'T work

p1_zpsugp31kmt.png

p2_zpsdp0malu2.png

congrats u just made a boot animation... and remember to share with us your bootanimation ;)

You can also use boot animation factory by RD despotovski01 It may help you with debugging and previewing and also creating bootanimations ;)

Installing bootanimations

To install your bootanimation just use root explorer to put it in system/media folder
if using htc stock rom put it in system/customize/resources folder (make sure to rename it the bootanimation.zip to htc_bootup.zip )

Thanks for the tutorial bud, but I do not recommend using a photo editing software as it is very tedious and difficult to do a simple animation. I recommend things like video compositors, e.g. Adobe After Effects or Hitfilm 4 PRO or even the free express version and in export settings select "png sequence" or something similar. I will leave links below for useful software.

hitfilm.com
http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects.html

Last edited:

JaredTamana

Feb 2, 2015
I'm seeing a bunch of people have problems with their .zips not working (black screen + boot) and then it just works. Is that just how Android deals with boot animations? I'm having the same problem. ROM Toolbox seems to load the boot animation just fine in the preview.

ZIP attached.

Moto G 2015, 6.0.1 Turbo ROM.

1280x720 (images currrently scaled to 405x720)

Attachments

• bootanimation.zip
    645.1 KB · Views: 17

<JohnCarter>

Jun 1, 2012
Ranchi
I'm seeing a bunch of people have problems with their .zips not working (black screen + boot) and then it just works. Is that just how Android deals with boot animations? I'm having the same problem. ROM Toolbox seems to load the boot animation just fine in the preview.

ZIP attached.

Moto G 2015, 6.0.1 Turbo ROM.

1280x720 (images currrently scaled to 405x720)

well the problem usually lies in the method of compression used during creation of zips.
if you use anything other than store mode, you are more than likely to encounter problems.
android basically just loads the the pngs from the zip loaded, and plays them in sequence as directed by the desc.txt file,
the other problem is faulty method of creating pngs or using higher resolution than you device can display.

Hope this helps

JaredTamana

Feb 2, 2015
well the problem usually lies in the method of compression used during creation of zips.
if you use anything other than store mode, you are more than likely to encounter problems.
android basically just loads the the pngs from the zip loaded, and plays them in sequence as directed by the desc.txt file,
the other problem is faulty method of creating pngs or using higher resolution than you device can display.

Hope this helps
The resolution is smaller than what the device can output and I've used the store method. I'll give it another go, I guess. Thanks :p

JaredTamana

Feb 2, 2015
The resolution is smaller than what the device can output and I've used the store method. I'll give it another go, I guess. Thanks :p

FOR ANYONE USING THIS FOR THE FIRST TIME — I HAVE A SOLUTION.

Go grab a precompiled boot animation, then edit the files from there to suit your needs. It just works easier. Mine worked like magic after sampling the stock MM animation.

Last edited:
Reactions: ihope01

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to create and install android bootanimations from scratch

This is a guide which tells you how to make a your very own bootanimation and install a bootanimation on your device.
    Please let me know if you made a bootanimation using this method so that every bootanimation made using this method can be posted here

Code:
    #This guide assumes that you are windows user and have - 
      1- 7 zip or winrar installed
      2- a image editing software (for ex-photoshop)  #

Bootanimation- what is it ?

Bootanimation basically is a collection of .png pictures that are projected on the screen one after the other quickly so that it looks like a animation , stored in a zip file

Prerequisites

1-you need a bootanimation.zip file [you can find them on google]

now if you have downloaded the bootanimation.zip file ,open it up

2- as you can see in the picture you find some folders in it named
    Code:
    "part0"    "part1"    "part2"
    and a desc.txt file .

d17e80fd.png

EXPLANATIONS
    folders like part0;part1,etc. STORE .png pictures of bootnaimation
    the desc.txt file contains all the necessary info to run bootanimation like resolution fps ,etc

EXPLANATION OF desc.txt

2cfbc55c.png

Code:
    As you can see in the image
       #1-it is the resolution of the bootanimation(you should basically use your device's resolution for ex - in the pic it is 320X480)
       #2-it is the fps(frames per second) of your bootanimation [higher the no. faster will your bootanimation play [B]a standard fps should be 30[/B]]
       #3-these are the folders which contain images for your bootanimation
       #4-it is a pointer to tell it to look at new commands
       #5-specifies the no. of times this section of bootanimation will play ( 0 means infinite)
       #6-defines pause in seconds before repeating or moving on next line (o means no pause 10 means 10 sec pause)

Fire it up el captain !!

we'll start making a bootanimation from scratch from here

#1-create a folder anywhere put in desktop for ease,let's call it
    Code:
    bootanimation

#2-open the folder and create another folder name it
    Code:
    part0

#3- With part0 created, it's time for you to start creating an image. To make it simple for beginning we'll make a simple one .So, using Photoshop as an example, create a new image which is the resolution of your handset. [like if ur on htc explorer use 320X480 or galaxy mini use 340X320] (if u don't know your device's resolution google it

#4-Give a black background to the image and take a image you wan't to fade in . paste it as a new layer and set the layer to 0% opacity
    so now you can only see a black background.

#5-now save the image in your
    Code:
    part0 folder
    and name it
    Code:
    image00.png

#6-now increase the opacity of your bootanimation by a narrow degree say 6%.now save it as
    Code:
    image002.png
    in the part0 folder

#7-repeat step 5 every time until you reach 100%.and each time save it as image003-image004 etc. in part0 folder

#8-open notepad and type this --
    Code:
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]
    1080 240 24
    p 1 60 part0
    c 1 0 part1
    c 0 0 part2

c means that the entire part of the animation (eg part2) will be played even if bootup completes.[/COLOR][/B]

Code:
    [B]change[/B] the 1080 240 with the resolution you are using

Thanks to @cisza for this info.. [images will be updated soon ]

#9- save it as :
    Code:
    desc.txt
    in the root of your bootanimation folder (not in part0)

#10- compress it using your archive manager say 7zip ;winrar,etc.
    imp: SET COMPRESSION METHOD TO STORE
    or else bootanimation WON'T work

p1_zpsugp31kmt.png

p2_zpsdp0malu2.png

congrats u just made a boot animation... and remember to share with us your bootanimation ;)

You can also use boot animation factory by RD despotovski01 It may help you with debugging and previewing and also creating bootanimations ;)

Installing bootanimations

To install your bootanimation just use root explorer to put it in system/media folder
    if using htc stock rom put it in system/customize/resources folder (make sure to rename it the bootanimation.zip to htc_bootup.zip )
    thanks

thanks alot for this....

1-made a 480x800 video,
    2-used video to photo converter (# of frames selected)
    3-used irfanview to rename them to image###
    4-created the folder.(part0)
    5-desc.txt
    6- used root explorer to paste that zip to resources folder in system...

worked like a charm....:)
    Thanks for the tutorial. I'll try it soon.
    What did I do wrong??

It just shows a black screen and sometimes doesn't even finish booting, so I have to delete it from recovery.

EDIT: Nevermind it workes now??????

m not gettin compression method "store" in 7 zip... :confused: