[TUTORIAL] How to create and install android bootanimations from scratch

Search This thread

starbucks2010

Jun 30, 2010
Thank you for your reply.

Actually, now I have the original Samsung bootanimation (.qmg files). Reading from other threads, I need to update the bootanimation file to tell to the system from where to use the bootanimation.zip. Now, my problem is how to update this bootanimation file (not text readable) for my specific device (SG Note Edge - it might work also SG Note 4)?

I might be wrong about the process but this is my understanding so far.

Best regards.

Frecciablu(2)

Feb 22, 2014
Thank you for your reply.

Actually, now I have the original Samsung bootanimation (.qmg files). Reading from other threads, I need to update the bootanimation file to tell to the system from where to use the bootanimation.zip. Now, my problem is how to update this bootanimation file (not text readable) for my specific device (SG Note Edge - it might work also SG Note 4)?

I might be wrong about the process but this is my understanding so far.

Best regards.
Yes, this is same info i have :/
Samsung have different management.

Try to find a way to change ur file type

munnibhai

Nov 14, 2012
Gujranwala
heres mine
for S4 Mini proper resolution

Attachments

• bootanimation.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 11
  • bootanim.jpg
    bootanim.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 209

Siddhesh Sapre

Nov 25, 2012
Thane
cAN SOMEONE HELP?

Attached below is the bootanimation for Avatar Rom for xperia z. i am using xperia z.the bootanimation dimensions are very small.can someone make proper dimensions so as to display properly on a 1080*1920 display(xperia z). when i tried to change the default 480 800 to 1080 1920, the device gives me a bootloop. please help

Tajemniczy

Jan 17, 2015
Does not work...

Hi, I've done everything you've written to do.
Bootanimation plays from part0 to part1, but it does not play part2, even if in desc.txt is typed c.
I've made it using After Effects CC 2014 and rendered in PNG Sequence, dropped into part0, 1 and 2 folders.
Please help!

Alireza1869

Jan 7, 2015
Hi
I decompressed a boot animation to resize its pictures and then I zip it again, but it didn't work, I did it in my phone with es xplorer.

lava_owner

Dec 22, 2013
Chennai
Not working.

Hi Dude,

I tried the steps on my own. I have "One plus one" device. When i flash the BootAnimation.zip file using TWRP it shows failed and no md5 found. Can you help me with this?

How to create and install android bootanimations from scratch

This is a guide which tells you how to make a your very own bootanimation and install a bootanimation on your device.
Please let me know if you made a bootanimation using this method so that every bootanimation made using this method can be posted here

Code:
#This guide assumes that you are windows user and have - 
  1- 7 zip or winrar installed
  2- a image editing software (for ex-photoshop)  #

Bootanimation- what is it ?

Prerequisites

1-you need a bootanimation.zip file [you can find them on google]

now if you have downloaded the bootanimation.zip file ,open it up

2- as you can see in the picture you find some folders in it named
Code:
"part0"    "part1"    "part2"
and a desc.txt file .

d17e80fd.png

EXPLANATION OF desc.txt

2cfbc55c.png

Code:
As you can see in the image
   #1-it is the resolution of the bootanimation(you should basically use your device's resolution for ex - in the pic it is 320X480)
   #2-it is the fps(frames per second) of your bootanimation [higher the no. faster will your bootanimation play [B]a standard fps should be 30[/B]]
   #3-these are the folders which contain images for your bootanimation
   #4-it is a pointer to tell it to look at new commands
   #5-specifies the no. of times this section of bootanimation will play ( 0 means infinite)
   #6-defines pause in seconds before repeating or moving on next line (o means no pause 10 means 10 sec pause)

Fire it up el captain !!

we'll start making a bootanimation from scratch from here

#1-create a folder anywhere put in desktop for ease,let's call it
Code:
bootanimation

#2-open the folder and create another folder name it
Code:
part0

#3- With part0 created, it's time for you to start creating an image. To make it simple for beginning we'll make a simple one .So, using Photoshop as an example, create a new image which is the resolution of your handset. [like if ur on htc explorer use 320X480 or galaxy mini use 340X320] (if u don't know your device's resolution google it

#4-Give a black background to the image and take a image you wan't to fade in . paste it as a new layer and set the layer to 0% opacity
so now you can only see a black background.

#5-now save the image in your
Code:
part0 folder
and name it
Code:
image00.png

#6-now increase the opacity of your bootanimation by a narrow degree say 6%.now save it as
Code:
image002.png
in the part0 folder

#7-repeat step 5 every time until you reach 100%.and each time save it as image003-image004 etc. in part0 folder

#8-open notepad and type this --
Code:
[B][COLOR="Blue"]
1080 240 24
p 1 60 part0
c 1 0 part1
c 0 0 part2

c means that the entire part of the animation (eg part2) will be played even if bootup completes.[/COLOR][/B]

Code:
[B]change[/B] the 1080 240 with the resolution you are using

Thanks to @cisza for this info.. [images will be updated soon ]

#9- save it as :
Code:
desc.txt
in the root of your bootanimation folder (not in part0)

#10- compress it using your archive manager say 7zip ;winrar,etc.
imp: SET COMPRESSION METHOD TO STORE
or else bootanimation WON'T work

p1_zpsugp31kmt.png

p2_zpsdp0malu2.png

congrats u just made a boot animation... and remember to share with us your bootanimation ;)

You can also use boot animation factory by RD despotovski01 It may help you with debugging and previewing and also creating bootanimations ;)

Installing bootanimations

To install your bootanimation just use root explorer to put it in system/media folder
if using htc stock rom put it in system/customize/resources folder (make sure to rename it the bootanimation.zip to htc_bootup.zip )

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
I have an animation that works on my Nexus 5.
675 375 30
c 1 30 part0
c 1 0 part1
c 0 0 part2
c 1 30 part3
c 1 0 part4
c 1 0 part5

I also have it on my Nexus 7 (2012), and have it's DPI changed from 213 to 280. The animation is a bit big on it. All the images are 675 x 375. Do I need to change all, or can I just change the 675 375 30 in the desc?

<JohnCarter>

Jun 1, 2012
Ranchi
I have an animation that works on my Nexus 5.
675 375 30
c 1 30 part0
c 1 0 part1
c 0 0 part2
c 1 30 part3
c 1 0 part4
c 1 0 part5

I also have it on my Nexus 7 (2012), and have it's DPI changed from 213 to 280. The animation is a bit big on it. All the images are 675 x 375. Do I need to change all, or can I just change the 675 375 30 in the desc?

Its better to change the images, but changing in the desc also works for some.(well it worked for me :rolleyes:)

lynchyy89

Feb 17, 2013
Followed this to a point to create my own but it refuses to run, and when I go to look in the .zip file in the system folder it comes up with error message saying "cannot compress or decompress files in directory on your device" but when I go to look in any folder outside of the system I can view the contents.. Any help or advice would be great

EDIT: I've sorted this problem, I'd forgotten to change the permissions to rw-r--r--, now I've done that it registers it's there but just get a black screen when booting, how can I get it to run properly?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2013
Thank you for tutorial :)
Here is mine bootanimation with a running fox for Galaxy Note II (720x1280, 20 fps).

Attachments

• running-fox-bootanimation.gif
    running-fox-bootanimation.gif
    80.3 KB · Views: 113

lynchyy89

Feb 17, 2013
I need a bit of advice, I made a boot animation using 2 different ideas in part0 is one idea that runs well at 4fps and I'm using someone else's animation for part1 (with their permission) however they had it set at 24fps, the desc.txt is as follows:

1080 1920 4
p 1 0 part0
p 0 0 part1

Once on my phone the first part runs fine but it won't show the second part of the boot animation, but the original animation of the second 1 works fine on my phone alone.. Any ideas?

Sent from my D6603 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to create and install android bootanimations from scratch

This is a guide which tells you how to make a your very own bootanimation and install a bootanimation on your device.
    Please let me know if you made a bootanimation using this method so that every bootanimation made using this method can be posted here

Code:
    #This guide assumes that you are windows user and have - 
      1- 7 zip or winrar installed
      2- a image editing software (for ex-photoshop)  #

Bootanimation- what is it ?

Bootanimation basically is a collection of .png pictures that are projected on the screen one after the other quickly so that it looks like a animation , stored in a zip file

Prerequisites

1-you need a bootanimation.zip file [you can find them on google]

now if you have downloaded the bootanimation.zip file ,open it up

2- as you can see in the picture you find some folders in it named
    Code:
    "part0"    "part1"    "part2"
    and a desc.txt file .

d17e80fd.png

EXPLANATIONS
    folders like part0;part1,etc. STORE .png pictures of bootnaimation
    the desc.txt file contains all the necessary info to run bootanimation like resolution fps ,etc

EXPLANATION OF desc.txt

2cfbc55c.png

Code:
    As you can see in the image
       #1-it is the resolution of the bootanimation(you should basically use your device's resolution for ex - in the pic it is 320X480)
       #2-it is the fps(frames per second) of your bootanimation [higher the no. faster will your bootanimation play [B]a standard fps should be 30[/B]]
       #3-these are the folders which contain images for your bootanimation
       #4-it is a pointer to tell it to look at new commands
       #5-specifies the no. of times this section of bootanimation will play ( 0 means infinite)
       #6-defines pause in seconds before repeating or moving on next line (o means no pause 10 means 10 sec pause)

Fire it up el captain !!

we'll start making a bootanimation from scratch from here

#1-create a folder anywhere put in desktop for ease,let's call it
    Code:
    bootanimation

#2-open the folder and create another folder name it
    Code:
    part0

#3- With part0 created, it's time for you to start creating an image. To make it simple for beginning we'll make a simple one .So, using Photoshop as an example, create a new image which is the resolution of your handset. [like if ur on htc explorer use 320X480 or galaxy mini use 340X320] (if u don't know your device's resolution google it

#4-Give a black background to the image and take a image you wan't to fade in . paste it as a new layer and set the layer to 0% opacity
    so now you can only see a black background.

#5-now save the image in your
    Code:
    part0 folder
    and name it
    Code:
    image00.png

#6-now increase the opacity of your bootanimation by a narrow degree say 6%.now save it as
    Code:
    image002.png
    in the part0 folder

#7-repeat step 5 every time until you reach 100%.and each time save it as image003-image004 etc. in part0 folder

#8-open notepad and type this --
    Code:
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]
    1080 240 24
    p 1 60 part0
    c 1 0 part1
    c 0 0 part2

c means that the entire part of the animation (eg part2) will be played even if bootup completes.[/COLOR][/B]

Code:
    [B]change[/B] the 1080 240 with the resolution you are using

Thanks to @cisza for this info.. [images will be updated soon ]

#9- save it as :
    Code:
    desc.txt
    in the root of your bootanimation folder (not in part0)

#10- compress it using your archive manager say 7zip ;winrar,etc.
    imp: SET COMPRESSION METHOD TO STORE
    or else bootanimation WON'T work

p1_zpsugp31kmt.png

p2_zpsdp0malu2.png

congrats u just made a boot animation... and remember to share with us your bootanimation ;)

You can also use boot animation factory by RD despotovski01 It may help you with debugging and previewing and also creating bootanimations ;)

Installing bootanimations

To install your bootanimation just use root explorer to put it in system/media folder
    if using htc stock rom put it in system/customize/resources folder (make sure to rename it the bootanimation.zip to htc_bootup.zip )
    thanks

thanks alot for this....

1-made a 480x800 video,
    2-used video to photo converter (# of frames selected)
    3-used irfanview to rename them to image###
    4-created the folder.(part0)
    5-desc.txt
    6- used root explorer to paste that zip to resources folder in system...

worked like a charm....:)
    Thanks for the tutorial. I'll try it soon.
    What did I do wrong??

It just shows a black screen and sometimes doesn't even finish booting, so I have to delete it from recovery.

EDIT: Nevermind it workes now??????

m not gettin compression method "store" in 7 zip... :confused: