[Tutorial] How to create Titanium skins (WM6.5)

Search This thread

twolf

Mar 5, 2006
LX
twolf.sytes.net
Theres one thing I have to say before I begin: Make good skins!
Theres nothing wrong on reusing stuf from others (with due credits and permission, if needed) but dont go for the easy mix, make some good graphics with cool transparencies and plently of bling.
Please dont make ugly skins (like I did) for example, the M2D skin thread is huge, but only some are thrully nice and different.
Each person has its own taste, but lets all make an effort to raise the bar.

The skin change can be as simple as editing the 2 main images: The main tab and the minimized tabs, you can do much, much more, but those 2 images are the main change to the visual effect.
The minimized tab is very simple, its just a PNG inside the Windows folder named CHome_listback.png (its hidden, so use Resco Explorer if needed).
The main tab is a png inside a DLL with other icons, for that you need to edit the DLL with a special program.

To edit the DLL (containg the main graphics and icons):
----------------------------------------------------

- Download ans install the PE Explorer trial: http://www.heaventools.com/download.htm
- Copy bronzeres.dll from the Windows folder to your SD card then to your PC.
- Open the DLL in PE Explorer and click on View > Resources
- See all the files inside the RC Data folder and double-click the png number 3000 for portrait or 4000 for landscape.
- Import a new PNG into that new screen and save the dll when finished (backup yours first).
- Download, export an open MSigner and open your dll inside this software.
- Copy that dll into your SD Card and then into the Windows folder (use Resco explorer if it denies access).
- Reset and enjoy.
:)

To change the layout of the plugin you need to edit the Titanium_*.cpr file on your Windows folder (like Titanium_240x320.cpr, or whatever your screen resolution is), its a "simple" XML inside, you can see it with Notepad.
See this link for a detailed explanation of it:

Titanium Walkthrough by drkfngthdragnlrd
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=3601164&postcount=2

You can download here a (bad) example of a simple skin.

More tools for developers:
--------------------------

A Guide to Windows Mobile 6.5 by joel2009
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=3626556

CPL/CPR online creator:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=520857

Last edited:

jmckeejr

Aug 11, 2008
Altoona, Pa
www.mckeeflooring.com
Thanks, Iwas trying to look at the bronzeres.dll with reshacker and getting really confused. All I saw was a bunch of code. No images. I'll try this PE Explorer out. Anybody know if there is a chrome or grey theme already? Do we not need to sign the dll as in previous skinning like taskbar?

Last edited:

Januwar

Sep 16, 2008
PNG Format

Hi TWolf,

thanks for the perfect instructions. Just tried myself. WAnt to change the 3000.png. But if I export it into Photoshop and create a new one with transparnency Titanium just shows background after having copied the new dll.
Do you know the specifications of the PNG?
Thanks
Januwar

twolf

Mar 5, 2006
LX
twolf.sytes.net
Hi TWolf,

thanks for the perfect instructions. Just tried myself. WAnt to change the 3000.png. But if I export it into Photoshop and create a new one with transparnency Titanium just shows background after having copied the new dll.
Do you know the specifications of the PNG?
Thanks
Januwar

Hmmm.. I used simple 32 bits alpha transparent pngs from flash or paint shop pro... :/

there is also a tutorial for cpr files?

would be nice like the one for manila 2d, where people put lines and explanations...

The link on the first post of Titanium Walkthrough by drkfngthdragnlrd has some info on that.

Switchke

Mar 27, 2009
Ternat
when i replace the file and reboot it. I get a blank today screen :p and its set on windows default so i guess i'm doing something wrong. Same problem as januwar

twolf

Mar 5, 2006
LX
twolf.sytes.net
:confused:Thats strange, could you test this?
Open your file on the signer and after its signed try to put it on the windows folder again...

I wasnt sure this step was really needed.. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• msigner.zip
    256 KB · Views: 846

KeRmiT80

Sep 10, 2007
Tegucigalpa - Honduras
yes but only if the plugin already has the code to display an icon in the cpr right?

dont' know...it's the right place to ask for an example?

how to add an icon (not to change only) can you show the lines to add to the cpr for a generic tab? maybe it's possible to use the chome editor, i saw some registry entries related to icons in tabs editor...
something easy...newbie level please :D

KeRmiT80

Sep 10, 2007
Tegucigalpa - Honduras
no sorry maybe i didn't explain myself...

default plugins in titanium has only text when not selected, right?
now if i want (like i saw in some themes) to add an icon on the left to a non selected tab i think i have to edit the cpr and add some lines to create a link to a number in case of bronzeres or to an external png.

what i need is an example of these lines to add to cpr so i can replicate on my own for all my installed plugins.

i hope i've been more clear this time :D

ps :sorry for the dumb question as i told you i'm newbie, thank you for your help :)

twolf

Mar 5, 2006
LX
twolf.sytes.net
Theres already a thread, as I said, to show ppl how tu use the cpr files... :/

You can see a example of what I did here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=3788297&postcount=45

I added this to the condensed view of my resolution cpr:
Code:
<Image ID="[B]ICON[/B]" Left="0" Top="0" Width="36" Height="36" />

And this to the registry:
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\CHome\system\CondensedPage]
"[B]ICON[/B]"="\\[I]My Documents\\Themes\\Titanium System Panel\\sd.png[/I]

syrguy1969

Jan 17, 2007
OK...color me stupid, but I don't see CHome_listback.png on my device...I read and followed:

"The minimized tab is very simple, its just a PNG inside the Windows folder named CHome_listback.png (its hidden, so use Resco Explorer if needed)."

from the first post, but it is not there. it sharts with CHome_send..... and then a list of CHome_ Win..... images, but no CHome_listback.png!!

Any suggestions or ideas as to why?

Thanks

skilty

Feb 23, 2005
Ash-Vegas
OK...color me stupid, but I don't see CHome_listback.png on my device...I read and followed:

"The minimized tab is very simple, its just a PNG inside the Windows folder named CHome_listback.png (its hidden, so use Resco Explorer if needed)."

from the first post, but it is not there. it sharts with CHome_send..... and then a list of CHome_ Win..... images, but no CHome_listback.png!!

Any suggestions or ideas as to why?

Thanks

Me too, I could'nt find CHome_listback.png at all with Total commander/or Resco - just the same list as above.

I'm using NRGZ rom on the Diamond