• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Tutorial] How to create your own custom launcher

Search This thread

sylsau

Recognized Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hello,

I made a video tutorial to present you how to create your own custom launcher.

Tutorial is here :

Launcher created during tutorial is simple but it's the base to create a custom launcher. With that base, you can improve and add features that you want.

Don't hesitate to give me your feedbacks.

Sylvain

TheArc

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jan 1, 2012
Auckland City
www.ascendapps.tk
This is awesome, I've built a launcher before but never finished it.

Any chance you know the following -

How can I use an intent to launch an app I want? Then save it so when I press the button the next time instead of asking me which app to launch, it'll auto launch the app I chose before.

Basically like a App Chooser.
You press the button, a pop up appears, you select the app and choose save. Then when you press the button again you will automatically open the app you saved. Subscribing to this thread :)

Thanks bro.
And nice tutorial

Sent from my T-Mobile G1

Reactions: Cogra147

katinatez

Mar 17, 2011
Awesome, was thinking of making launcher as my first app.
Only question is which version of eclipse to install? Keppler? Luna? Mars? Which one is best to start building for jellybean 4.1 and current 4.4?

s7560m

Apr 17, 2014
Toronto
Hello,

I made a video tutorial to present you how to create your own custom launcher.

Tutorial is here :

Launcher created during tutorial is simple but it's the base to create a custom launcher. With that base, you can improve and add features that you want.

Don't hesitate to give me your feedbacks.

Sylvain

Nice! I was thinking about making a launcher as one of my first apps. That will get my indie-company started!
Thanks!

sylsau

Recognized Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Awesome, was thinking of making launcher as my first app.
Only question is which version of eclipse to install? Keppler? Luna? Mars? Which one is best to start building for jellybean 4.1 and current 4.4?

Hello,

You can use lastest version of Eclipse with ADT plugin found here : http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/installing-adt.html

Or download the Eclipse with ADT bundle from Google here : http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html .

Sylvain

Reactions: katinatez

katinatez

Mar 17, 2011
Thanks just installed Mars eclipse and added the plugin. That's as far as I got will continue tonight.

maslascher

Dec 19, 2010
Since it is on front XDA page i guess it is great tutorial (didn't watch yet, don't have time for this now). But is it possible to create iOS launcher like, only with application grid and no workspaces?

coal686

Senior Moderator / Developer Rel. / Mod Liaison
Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
Since it is on front XDA page i guess it is great tutorial (didn't watch yet, don't have time for this now). But is it possible to create iOS launcher like, only with application grid and no workspaces?

MIUI ROMs use a launcher like that so I guess it's possible. You'd have to get comfortable with this tutorial first and then work on mimicing it (or you could find the launcher from MIUI and decompile it to see how it works).

TheArc

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jan 1, 2012
Auckland City
www.ascendapps.tk
Yes it is, instead of having two separate activities. (Home screen) and (Drawer). You can merge the two activities together. So yeah you can.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1

sylsau

Recognized Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This is awesome, I've built a launcher before but never finished it.

Any chance you know the following -

How can I use an intent to launch an app I want? Then save it so when I press the button the next time instead of asking me which app to launch, it'll auto launch the app I chose before.

Basically like a App Chooser.
You press the button, a pop up appears, you select the app and choose save. Then when you press the button again you will automatically open the app you saved. Subscribing to this thread :)

Thanks bro.
And nice tutorial

Sent from my T-Mobile G1

Hello,

For which kind of intent do you make that ?

Sylvain

sylsau

Recognized Developer
Nov 8, 2011

Hello,

Like said by coal686, you can make what you want. Launcher created during tutorial is the base for a custom launcher. With that base created, then you can imagine all the improvements for your launcher.

Sylvain

Top Liked Posts