[Tutorial] How to Enable Continuum on Unsupported phones [Windows 10 Mobile]

Search This thread

Abdullah S.A.

Dec 22, 2016
Redmi K20 Pro
Continuum is such a great feature that turns your phone into a big-screen projector, it supports officially a few phones because it requires good specs to run it as well.

Anyway, there is a way to enable Continuum on any windows 10 mobile phone via Miracast (Wi-Fi), it does even work on lumia 630 :p .

What you need to know first
1- you will do this at your own risk

2- this can cause some problems, one of these problems is that .XAP apps like Whatsapp won't work anymore unless you reset your phone

3- your phone needs to be interop unlocked, if you want to do it check this thread (Interop Tools): https://xdaforums.com/windows-10-mobile/windows-10-mobile-apps-and-games/app-interop-tools-versatile-registry-t3445271

4- Continuum will only work via Miracast and not via the dock.

And now, let's get started!
-----
How To

1- Download this cab on your PC from here :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-txDcTZoU6Mbi00bTNuWUxIUUE/view
and move it to a new folder, make sure that the name of the folder doesn't contain a space, name it with a simple name

2- download iutool on your PC (Size: 4MB)
Download link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-txDcTZoU6MNnowSi0tMDdJbXc/view
extract it to a new folder

3- on your pc run the Command Prompt as administrator
go through the CMD to the folder where you extracted iutool

4- Type this command on cmd :
iutool -l

Your phone information must show up.

now type this command :
iutool -V -p "the path of the folder where you put the cab file"
for example: iutool -V -p F:\Continuum

Note: if you get an error try again, if you got it again open your phone and go to update settings and try again.

5- Now your phone must install the cab file

6- after the installation process you need to create a registry, if you have the last version of Interop Tools on your phone it will be very easy to do it, just open Interop Tools, go to Tweaks and enable "Force Continuum via Miracast on unsupported devices" and restart your phone.
If you have another registry editor (in other words: you want the long way :D) follow these instructions:
Create a new registry.
Registry Type: Integer
Registry key path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\shell\docking
Registry Value Name: EnabledForTest
Registry Value Data: 1

and then restart your phone and Continuum should work.

Possible problems:
1- As I said first .XAP apps may not work any more.
2- If you will connect it to a PC, the keyboard and the mouse of the pc may not work with Continuum.. so you will need to scroll and control using your phone.
3-Your phone may heating up while projecting.

Continuum will not be so fast but it's almost acceptable.
I (with my team) tested it on some phones : Lumia 630, Acer Liquid M330, Lumia 640 XL, Lumia 930 and more .... It works well!

I hope that this is helpful and better explained
If there is any question I would be happy to answer as soon as I can.
Sorry for my bad English :p
Source : Read this thread

Here is a short video to see how continuum runs on my Lumia 630 :

Last edited:

Abdullah S.A.

Dec 22, 2016
Redmi K20 Pro

Hi there,

have you ever heard about respect while replying :)

However, I know that you can explain it within 10 words but not everyone will get it as well so I explained it step by step and so detailed possible so that everyone can do it, so I'm not f***** kidding :D
Plus, that thread didn't explain everything but I did!

Thank you for your reply!

Last edited:

marianodelfino

Apr 30, 2015
Continuum is such a great feature that turns your phone into a big-screen projector, it supports officially a few phones because it requires good specs to run it as well.

Anyway, there is a way to enable Continuum on any windows 10 mobile phone via Miracast (Wi-Fi), it does even work on lumia 630 :p .

2- this can cause some problems, one of these problems is that .XAP apps like Whatsapp won't work anymore unless you reset your phone

3- your phone needs to be interop unlocked, if you want to do it check this thread (Interop Tools): https://xdaforums.com/windows-10-mobile/windows-10-mobile-apps-and-games/app-interop-tools-versatile-registry-t3445271

-----
How To

and move it to a new folder, make sure that the name of the folder doesn't contain a space, name it with a simple name

Download link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-txDcTZoU6MNnowSi0tMDdJbXc/view

iutool -l

now type this command :

Note: if you get an error try again, if you got it again open your phone and go to update settings and try again.

6- after the installation process you need to create a registry, if you have the last version of Interop Tools on your phone it will be very easy to do it, just open Interop Tools, go to Tweaks and enable "Force Continuum via Miracast on unsupported devices" and restart your phone.
If you have another registry editor (in other words: you want the long way :D) follow these instructions:
Create a new registry.

Possible problems:
2- If you will connect it to a PC, the keyboard and the mouse of the pc may not work with Continuum.. so you will need to scroll and control using your phone.

I (with my team) tested it on some phones : Lumia 630, Acer Liquid M330, Lumia 640 XL, Lumia 930 and more .... It works well!

What do you mean with whatsapp not working anymore?? Not working on Continuum or that this method somehow breaks the app and won't work anymore?

BlueTR

May 14, 2013
Bursa
Well, I tried on my 630 and old 8.0 apps work fine. I didn't try whatsapp since I don't use wp as daily driver anymore.
I don't have any tv or screen that support miracast so I tried projecting to my old android tablet and it was pretty laggy. This was different than 1 sec delay, it was like a pc whose gpu driver isn't installed.

Abdullah S.A.

Dec 22, 2016
Redmi K20 Pro
I tried it on my lumia 630 ( RS1) and my Acer Liquid m330 (RS2) and .XAP apps don't work anymore on the both of my devices.
I'm not the only one who have this problem, other people are having it.

But however, I said it's one of the possible problems and perhaps you face it or perhaps you don't!

marianodelfino

Apr 30, 2015
I tried it on my lumia 630 ( RS1) and my Acer Liquid m330 (RS2) and .XAP apps don't work anymore on the both of my devices.
I'm not the only one who have this problem, other people are having it.

But however, I said it's one of the possible problems and perhaps you face it or perhaps you don't!

I have RS1 so i might skip this for a while until there's a fix

BlueTR

May 14, 2013
Bursa
Can anyone install latest rs1 build after installing continuum cab? I'm stucked in 14393.953. I get 0x8018830f error everytime I try installing 14393.1066.

YoungAll

Sep 29, 2016
LG V60 ThinQ
LG Wing
I've been using continuum on my lumia 1520 since months ago I found the tutorial on youtube. I installed it when I was in 14393 AU update with that cabs file.

Now I'm in fast ring 15063 CU and continuum runs better. Upgrading build will upgrade the continuum experience. In this latest FR, continuum still work when our screen locked and it's great. The ability to change screen timeout whether on phone or second display has been added.

But we will never see the improvement of continuum feature since mostly all older devices wont get the creator update nor the rest RS3. We wont witness how it can have floating windows like they showed us last year or any improvements.

---------- Post added at 06:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 AM ----------

Can anyone install latest rs1 build after installing continuum cab? I'm stucked in 14393.953. I get 0x8018830f error everytime I try installing 14393.1066.

It happened to me also that I couldnt update build after installing continuum, but somehow after joining fast ring, it allowed me to update my build and bringing improvements to continuum feature also. Have you tried to join fast ring?

BlueTR

May 14, 2013
Bursa
I've been using continuum on my lumia 1520 since months ago I found the tutorial on youtube. I installed it when I was in 14393 AU update with that cabs file.

Now I'm in fast ring 15063 CU and continuum runs better. Upgrading build will upgrade the continuum experience. In this latest FR, continuum still work when our screen locked and it's great. The ability to change screen timeout whether on phone or second display has been added.

But we will never see the improvement of continuum feature since mostly all older devices wont get the creator update nor the rest RS3. We wont witness how it can have floating windows like they showed us last year or any improvements.

---------- Post added at 06:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 AM ----------

It happened to me also that I couldnt update build after installing continuum, but somehow after joining fast ring, it allowed me to update my build and bringing improvements to continuum feature also. Have you tried to join fast ring?

My device has 512mb ram, I joined fast ring and got your device is up to date message. Then I quit from insider and tried installing 14393.1066 and got same error. I think I'll hard reset.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-----
    How To

iutool -l

now type this command :

Create a new registry.

Possible problems:

First of all thank you for helping me. I did activate the switch on tweaks "Force continuum over Miracast" but it seems like it goes back to "off" and also when I activate all the features in unlocking with interop tools even they go back to "off after I leave the Interop. so you are right, somewhere along the line my installation is not going well. Problem is I dont know were but I am gonna keep on trying untill I get it right. Thanks once again
    best regards to you

You have to install the dependencies to make interop tools work! Uninstall any version you have and download the one in the link. Once you installed all the dependencies properly(wait 1~2 mins between each) then install the interop tools app. Enter the app, go to unlock and enable restore ndtk. Reboot the device and you'll be able to edit the registry and enable any other slider.

Last version of interop tools
    Hi xxjMarian,

first of all HAPPY NEW YEAR. Well I followed all your steps and did as you told me to do. First I did factory reset and installed Windows 8 on my L930 then I installed Windows 10 Mobile and after that I followed your steps how to install dependencies and Interop tools app. As I wrote before everything went OK since I could enable restore ndtk and after that I was able to edit the registry and enable any needed slider and most important they stayed ON :) But...sorry but with me there is always BUT. :(
    After I did all of that I could not see CONTINUUM app on my phone. When I use CONNECT ( I thought my CONNECT option would be CONTINUUM now) it is still like before. So I thought : ok, you need to use cmd and so I did. I wrote C:\i386\itool.exe -p C:\cabs -v (I have already placed needed files on my PC i the right directories) , but when I press enter I got the outcome:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>C:\i386\iutool.exe -p C:\cabs -v

(IUTool Version: 11:52:10/Feb 7 2014)

Log file: C:\Users\miros\AppData\Local\Temp\IUTool-{299338D7-E9AD-4D02-BD74-B341894FDEEF}.etl

[1] Started device 360552dcf8864756e7daf51c27f60b31
    [1] Transferring files started
    [1] Transferring files complete: 1 file
    [1] Update started
    [1] Installation failed (HRESULT = 0x8024a110)
    [1] Failed (0x8024a110)

ERROR: 0x8024a110

1. Do I need to keep trying with the cmd command C:\WINDOWS\system32>C:\i386\iutool.exe -p C:\cabs -v in order to install
    Continuum app on my phone or do I need to do something else/more?
    2.Also do I need to have Insider Preview Builds Win 10 Mobile on my phone or is upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile all I need
    3. When I enter Interop Tools I am prompt to choose from : This device (through provider extensions), This device, Test provider , Remote device). I choose second option THIS DEVICE, is that correct?

Thanks in advance
    Best regards
    Miro

Glad you made it work!

1. I did try to install and have the same error everytime. But, continuum appeared installed after a hard reset i made, don't ask me why. It works like a charm.
    2. My phone got some updates so, i don't really know if it was installed because of the hard reset or because it got an update that got the files. If you did the iutool steps and even tho it failed, your phone rebooted and installed something, then try doing a hard reset. Don't do iutool or anything again, just hard reset and see if the OS installs it on a clean install.
    3.Yes, that is correct. Always use THIS DEVICE, the one without extensions. The extensions option it's used more commonly for x50 users that use vcreg and use the extensions to migrate to interop tools.

Try what i mentioned and let me know if it worked!:cowboy:
    God bless you my friend...it works! Continuum is actually working on my L930 ! Phone did an update and Continuum app showed up on my phone and then I did some settings in order for display to show correctly. Now everything is working great.

Thank you once again for helping me.
    Best regards to you,
    Miro

Enjoy!:cowboy: