[Tutorial] "How to" flash the Samsung Galaxy Tab FW to enable phone calls

Search This thread

unkie_s

Nov 8, 2009
humm...
I have a Bell tab and flashed it with the procedure above. i posted this guide for people who are beginners with flashing stuff in order to help them and make the whole thing simpler to understand. The Providers I listed above are the ones that have been tested and worked with this firmware.

You need to dig into the forum and find out if it works on sprint tab. Or do you want me to do it for you??????

If this an answer to my question I have a tmobile tab and yes I have searched and only found that voice only works with 2g on tmobile but you are saying it works with 3g and voice just confirming since you posted it

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

crash6

Jan 27, 2008
Im will Bell

Any idea what the charges will be for voice / text messaging if I only have the tablet data plan on my sim?

Just curious.

rangercaptain

Oct 27, 2010
West Coast of California
. . . you will NOT get voice+3G on T-mobile without the modem switcher or getting rid of your IMEI.

That "or" should be AND.

T-mo users can have voice and EDGE speed data by flashing the the JME v.4 ROM and Roto 2g modem.

T-mo users can have 3g data only (no voice), by doing nothing except buy the data plan with the tab.

T-mo users can use a sim card with an existing data plan by doing nothing except mess with the efs folder contents.

Reactions: rickytr23

supergadgetman

Nov 2, 2005
I have an unlocked At&t tab with a data only Tmobile sim. I'm not interested in phone features since my sim is data only, but is there a way for me to get 3g speeds? As it stands Im getting EDGE data, but if I flash a different modem would that allow me to get 3g speeds with an At&t tab using a tmobile sim?
TIA

pic.micro23

Nov 14, 2008
I have an unlocked At&t tab with a data only Tmobile sim. I'm not interested in phone features since my sim is data only, but is there a way for me to get 3g speeds? As it stands Im getting EDGE data, but if I flash a different modem would that allow me to get 3g speeds with an At&t tab using a tmobile sim?
TIA

Your hardware (850Mhz...) does not work on TMOBILE 3G (900Mhz..) So the only common thing between ATT and TMOBILE will be EDGE. :p

myshinynewtouch

Jul 30, 2008
do i need to flash the jk5 package at the end? i want to flash the latest roto's package JMG, and i wanted to know if i really needed the JK5 package or it is not needed if i re-flashing once again.

netbones

Dec 5, 2006
This Failed - Help!

Ok, I just went through the process, and after I clicked the Start button, after a few minutes Odin states that it failed:

<ID:0/003> cache.rfs
<ID:0/003> dbdata.rfs
<ID:0/003> zImage
<ID:0/003> modem.bin
<ID:0/003> cache.rfs
<ID:0/003> dbdata.rfs
<ID:0/003> movinand.mst
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Any Help is appreciated. Can I reboot the tab or am I bricked? How do I recover?

Attachments

• odinerror.jpg
    odinerror.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 647

netbones

Dec 5, 2006
Yes, Sprint Galaxy Tab

I thought the post I placed right after my initial one showed up. Thanks for making me see it didn't.

dubie76

May 22, 2010
Austin
www.driphter.com
US carriers do not have a GT that makes calls. So if this is done, does it go "around" the network since none of us have any call minute plans? How does this work?

Stevenjcarney

Dec 25, 2009
I've got a rather good question. (And before it happens, don't ask "Why would you want to do that?!" Because I don't feel like answering that.)
How do you reverse this. I can't find a single ROM that doesn't have the phone feature, and frankly, I have a phone for a phone. I don't need my tablet to be a phone.

rangercaptain

Oct 27, 2010
West Coast of California
I've got a rather good question. (And before it happens, don't ask "Why would you want to do that?!" Because I don't feel like answering that.)
How do you reverse this. I can't find a single ROM that doesn't have the phone feature, and frankly, I have a phone for a phone. I don't need my tablet to be a phone.

Any stock rom from US and Canadian carriers will not have the phone feature.

BTW there was no question from you in your post.

Bugman1

Jun 7, 2008
Somewhere in Florida, U.S.A.

Your sig says you have a T-mobile Galaxy Tab. Assuming it's a U.S. version and you haven't flashed a European or Asian Rom the Phone feature (dialer) won't be on the Tab.

North American Tabs do not come with the phone dialer or modem.

If yours has a dialer and modem grab one of the stock T-Mobile U.S. roms from the dev section and flash it with Odin

That will delete the phone functions.

d4redevil

Mar 18, 2008
Orlando
I was able to flash all the files

phone works GREAT

but no DATA...

when I open the browser it takes me the tmobile site and asking me for a password.

I went to APN,
there is:
TMOBILE US 320

when I create a new APN and save it
it wont save.

when I edit the tmobile apn thats already there, when i edit MCC and MNC and save it the apn deletes so i have to RESTORE DEFAULT.

any ideas on how to make the apn sticks or what?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Below you'll find a "step by step" tutorial on how to flash your Samsung Galaxy Tab Firmware to the European version ( unbranded firmware ) and therefore enabling the phone calls option ( and 3G data + 850/1900Mhz WCDMA ) Tested and working for the following tabs: Bell, Rogers.

What do you need?
    Download the following package:
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/444576369/Samsung_TAB_Euro_Flash_Package.7z

What's in it?

• Kies_2.0.0.11011_16_5.exe
    • Odin3 v1.31
    • P1000XWJJ4
    • P1000XXJK5
    • modem_bell_i9000

Preparation:

A. After downloaded the package and extracted with 7zip Install and then reboot: Kies_2.0.0.11011_16_5.exe (this will install properly drivers x86 or 64 depending on your OS configuration, needed for your Tab and Odin to communicate correctly ).

B. Extract Odin3_v1.31_PITupdate and put the all the files contained in P1000XWJJ4 into Odin3 v1.31 source folder.

C
    . Set you Samsung Tab into "Download mode" ( Hold volume down and power button until the device boot up. You'll see a yellow android sign and some warning text like :do not turn off target) and connect it to your PC with the USB cable.

D
    . Start Odin3 v1.31.exe and make sure that the com post is yellow highlighted and check off Re-partition.

E
    . Load the following files as shown in the screenshot below:

F. Hit Start and then relax, hopefully it is going to be ok and in about 2. min and 50 you'll get a green highlight and pass stamp in the same Odin screen which will also reboot the Tab. It will be In Russian, but not to worry. keep reading below.

G. Turn offf the tab and set it to download mode again. Transfer over the Odin folder the P1000XXJK5.tar file re-start Odin, Connect the phone.

H. Leave the "Re-partition" unticked and load into "PDA" the tar file. Hit "Start" and wait again about 2min and 50 sec, you'll get the same green pass and the tab will reboot.

I. This is the final step. now you are going to flash the tab with the right Modem files. Again like Put the Tab into download mode unpack the modem_bell_i9000.zip into Odin folder then start Odin up and select "phone". Load the modem.bin up and hit Start. Wait for the Green pass and you are DONE!!! :cool::D;)

[note]In order to have Internet and mms going you need to set the right APN settings. Google your provider for specifics.[/note]

Bell canada has the following Settings:

Code:
    Name: Bell Internet
    APN: pda.bell.ca
    Proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
    Port: 80
    MMSC: http://mms.bell.ca/mms/wapenc
    MMS proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 610
    APN type: Internet + mms
    Authentication Type: none

Are you wondering where the APN settings are?

1. Press the Menu key
    2. Tap Settings
    3. Tap Wireless controls
    4. Tap Mobile networks
    5. Tap Access Point Names
    6. Press the Menu key
    7. Tap New APN.
    8. Enter your settings

FAQ

If you see missing apps from the market it is because XXJK5 is not an official firmware and the market is not showing protected apps.
    To change this you will need to edit the build.prop file under /system and change the fingerprint.

If you are lazy you can do the following:

1) root the tab
    2) install busybox from the market, open the app and install busybox from within the app.
    3) install GST from the market
    4) go top step 6 in the app "change your fingerprint" ad run the script
    5) go to setting > applications > manage applications > ALL > find "market", force stop and clear data
    6) reboot the tab, reopen the market - you should see all apps now.

Credit:
    Tutorial By: Neuropass @Newage-os.com How to flash the Samsung Galaxy Tab FW to enable phone calls
    Original Poster: clubtech @XDA
    So to reiterate, 3g/hspa AND voice work on this build without rotos modem switcher, and it is not breaking the imei??? I am using T-Mobile US. Thanks!

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App
    new tab plus

has anyone tried to make phone calls on the plus
    Yes correct. I just made This tutorial to make the process clear seeing that all the procedures written here were all confusing.
    humm...
    I have a Bell tab and flashed it with the procedure above. i posted this guide for people who are beginners with flashing stuff in order to help them and make the whole thing simpler to understand. The Providers I listed above are the ones that have been tested and worked with this firmware.

You need to dig into the forum and find out if it works on sprint tab. Or do you want me to do it for you??????