• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Tutorial] How to install any GSI on doha (g8 plus)

Search This thread

MappleBunny

Jun 10, 2021
Hello! So this is my first post, i actually just made an account specifially to post this because i noticed there was no instructions anywhere

I have a Moto G8 Plus that's running Lineage OS 17.1, i sucessfully ran AOSP, Havoc and Bliss with a perfect experience across the board, the install process for the GSI is super easy and does not involve TWRP or any recovery for that matter

Software wise, you're going to be needing two things: ADB and FASTBOOT, which can be obtained easily through a google search, then you need the usb drivers for your phone, which should also be easy to find

SO, here's the steps, do backup your phone beforehand as what you're about to do will wipe your phone clean:

1. Power off the device
2. Hold Power and Vol Down to enter Fastboot
3. Now that your phone is in fastboot, you need to flash a stock rom onto it, i used lolinet for my android 10 stock rom (in the RETLA region, be sure you get the right region rom), doing that is quite simple, just copy the g8flash.bat file into the same folder where you extracted your stock rom, open the .bat file i provided and let it do it's thing, it'll close when it's done, you have now installed a stock rom on your phone
4. download a GSI https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/Generic-System-Image-(GSI)-list (From android 10 to Android 12, haven't got 9 to work), you should get a .img or a .bin file
5. put the GSI in the same folder as your stock rom and rename the file GSIROM (don't change the .bin or .img, i will put 2 files to deal with this)
6. copy either GSI_INSTALL_IMG.bat or GSI_INSTALL_BIN.bat inside the folder
7. run the bat file and let it do it's thing, once it's done, you are ready to reboot your phone and enjoy your new rom

If you have issues, feel free to post about it and i'll try answering as soon as i can, i wish all of you good luck!

Attachments

• G8 GSI bat files.zip
    716 bytes · Views: 158

daniel_lvs

Jun 12, 2021
Hey thanks for the post. I tryed to download HavocOS-4.5-official-arm64-ab-gapps.img (3.3153489 KB) but it won't let me install. Error message says flashed image is larger than partition size.
So i check on TWRP -WIPE -partition options for system. and i got this:
Size: 2991MB - Used: 2771MB - Free: 219MB Backup Size: 2771MB

so any tips ? i'm on stock rom right now.

MappleBunny

Jun 10, 2021
Hey thanks for the post. I tryed to download HavocOS-4.5-official-arm64-ab-gapps.img (3.3153489 KB) but it won't let me install. Error message says flashed image is larger than partition size.
So i check on TWRP -WIPE -partition options for system. and i got this:
Size: 2991MB - Used: 2771MB - Free: 219MB Backup Size: 2771MB

so any tips ? i'm on stock rom right now.
Hi! Did you use fastboot or TWRP? You should have the default recovery after flashing the stock ROM

Make sure to get the latest stock for your software channel (I'm on RETLA) https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/ and flash it in fastboot using the .bat files I provided

Hope that helps!

daniel_lvs

Jun 12, 2021
hi thanks for reply. i did use fastboot and also your files. After i got the error on fastboot, i used a twrp.img to boot just to check the partition but its not flashed/saved in memory recovery. i also download lastest stock rom from your link. mine is RETBR.

i tryed the havoc file without gapps and it worked (file size to flash is smaller and fits partition) but i coudn't get to work google account or play store.

the havoc file with gapps included keeps saying is larger than partition size.

MappleBunny

Jun 10, 2021
hi thanks for reply. i did use fastboot and also your files. After i got the error on fastboot, i used a twrp.img to boot just to check the partition but its not flashed/saved in memory recovery. i also download lastest stock rom from your link. mine is RETBR.

i tryed the havoc file without gapps and it worked (file size to flash is smaller and fits partition) but i coudn't get to work google account or play store.
Hi, can you try to flash this GSI instead of Havoc? If it works, the problem may be the havoc GSI you're using, if that's the case i'll start looking on my end for a working Havoc GSI:

Make sure to select the right variant when getting a GSI, here i already selected the right one

daniel_lvs

Jun 12, 2021
i got this arm64-ab; is that correct?
HavocOS-4.5-official-arm64-ab-gapps.img file size 3.315.489 KB (coudnt flash duo size)
HavocOS-4.5-official-arm64-ab-vanilla.img file size 2.466.145 KB (it worked but does not work google account)

i'll try your file now

MappleBunny

Jun 10, 2021
i got this arm64-ab; is that correct?
HavocOS-4.5-official-arm64-ab-gapps.img file size 3.315.489 KB (coudnt flash duo size)
HavocOS-4.5-official-arm64-ab-vanilla.img file size 2.466.145 KB (it worked but does not work google account)

i'll try your file now
Hey there sorry for the late answer, I've been trying out GSI's and from what I've experienced, Google Play services won't work on Android 11 GSI's, at least for the G8 Plus.

I'm currently running an Android 10 version of Havoc and everything is working perfectly

MappleBunny

Jun 10, 2021

69PerTTu69

Mar 5, 2016
Nice! I didn't even knew about this GSI thing. How far things have come since gingerbreak/kitkat times! :cry:

I'll save it for when the guarantee runs out! Thanks!!!!

d0ct0rd00m

Apr 23, 2017
I just wanted to say thank you for this. I have a xt2019-2 and I couldn't figure out which firmware to download from lolinet so I just did RETAIL and it worked thanks to your instructions.

strybog

Aug 30, 2018
Hi,
so i was able to flash to stock rom , but any gsi rom i try fails, it stops at the flashing system 1/x, so the phone just boots into the stock rom

Edit : i was able to get havoc android 10 to install , trying the lineage 18 linked in the thread and havoc androind 11 didnt work

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello! So this is my first post, i actually just made an account specifially to post this because i noticed there was no instructions anywhere

I have a Moto G8 Plus that's running Lineage OS 17.1, i sucessfully ran AOSP, Havoc and Bliss with a perfect experience across the board, the install process for the GSI is super easy and does not involve TWRP or any recovery for that matter

Software wise, you're going to be needing two things: ADB and FASTBOOT, which can be obtained easily through a google search, then you need the usb drivers for your phone, which should also be easy to find

SO, here's the steps, do backup your phone beforehand as what you're about to do will wipe your phone clean:

1. Power off the device
    2. Hold Power and Vol Down to enter Fastboot
    3. Now that your phone is in fastboot, you need to flash a stock rom onto it, i used lolinet for my android 10 stock rom (in the RETLA region, be sure you get the right region rom), doing that is quite simple, just copy the g8flash.bat file into the same folder where you extracted your stock rom, open the .bat file i provided and let it do it's thing, it'll close when it's done, you have now installed a stock rom on your phone
    4. download a GSI https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/Generic-System-Image-(GSI)-list (From android 10 to Android 12, haven't got 9 to work), you should get a .img or a .bin file
    5. put the GSI in the same folder as your stock rom and rename the file GSIROM (don't change the .bin or .img, i will put 2 files to deal with this)
    6. copy either GSI_INSTALL_IMG.bat or GSI_INSTALL_BIN.bat inside the folder
    7. run the bat file and let it do it's thing, once it's done, you are ready to reboot your phone and enjoy your new rom

If you have issues, feel free to post about it and i'll try answering as soon as i can, i wish all of you good luck!