• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Tutorial] How To Root HTC Desire X Jelly Bean

Search This thread

ReSkid

Apr 4, 2012
I have seen that since the update notification for Jelly Bean has arrived, Many people (Including me) have been asking for a Tutorial to root the Jelly Bean updated HTC Desire X (HTC DX for short). In this tutorial I would like to mention the steps to root Android Jelly Bean (JB) on HTC DX.

UPDATE: Tutorial with Screenshots here : HTC Desire X Root

This was what had worked for me when I recently rooted by HTC Desire X with Jelly Bean Update, So I hope it works for you too. I am assuming you have just installed the OTA Update and are now sitting with a Stock Jelly Bean on your device.

Summary:

1. Unlock Bootloader (if not already unlocked).
2. Install Jelly Bean compatible Custom Recovery.
3. Flash Super User and Install Busy Box.
4. Enjoy.

Steps.

1. Unlocking Bootloader.

There is a fully explained thread on unlocking bootloader and rooting android ICS put up by user nlooooo, Follow that thread and unlock your bootloader.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2076675

Once you update via OTA for the JB Update, Your HBoot becomes JB Hboot instead of the old ICS Hboot so you need a JB Hboot compatible Custom Recovery to flash the Super User and Root.

Our fellow user atis112 fixed the recovery by neXus PRIME to make it work with JB. So you need to download the JB Custom Recovery from the attachment and put it in your C Drive, So the file location would be C:\recovery.img

2.1] Download JB Recovery.img from here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=39662992&postcount=66 OR You can use the TWRP Recovery Image made by Yasir. Download from here : http://d-h.st/tSc

2.2] Once you put it in C Drive you need to connect your HTC Mobile to PC and Install HTC JB Drivers, You can install the drivers from here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2222501. Make sure you have installed the Drivers correctly.

2.3] Open your Android SDK (Download it from here if not already) and Go to the \sdk\platform-tools folder. If on Windows 7, Keep the Shift Key pressed + Right click on an empty place in the platform-tools folder > Open Command Window here.

2.4] Type in the following command and see if your device is detected.

After it is detected, Type the following command.

adb reboot bootloader

Once you are in the bootloader, Type the following command.

fastboot flash recovery c:\recovery.img

followed by

fastboot reboot-bootloader

and

fastboot erase cache

2.5] Now you have installed your custom recovery. Now Reboot your Phone.

3. Install SuperUser and Busybox.

3.1] Once again connect your HTC to PC, Download the attached SuperUser.zip and copy it to your SD Card.

3.2] Open the command prompt again as said earlier by going to platform-tools folder and using the adb devices command to check if the phone is detected.

3.3] Once it is connected, Type the following command.

3.4] Now you are in the recovery, Use the Volume Up and Down keys to navigate it (Use the power button to select an option).

Navigate to Install Flashable Zip. (This should be the first option and already selected.)

Press Power Button once.

Select "Choose Zip from internal SD-Card" or "external SD-Card" accordingly as to where you put the Superuser.zip.

Press Power Button once.

Scroll and select the Superuser.zip using the Volume Keys.

Press Power Button once.

Then you have flashed your Zip successfully and you are rooted.

Go back to the Main screen using the "Go back" option. Select the "Reboot System Now".

Once you are in the HTC Main screen > Go to App Drawer > Google Play Store > Search for Busy Box and Install it.

That is it, You are now on Jelly Bean and Successfully Rooted.

To Check If You Are Rooted.

1. Open Playstore and search for an app named "Terminal Emulator".
2. Install it.
3. Open it and type in su and execute it.
4. You will get a prompt from Superuser to allow or deny > Allow it.

If you get that prompt, You are successfully rooted.

I hope I have provided credits to all the users whose threads I have mentioned. If not please let me know.

Thanks for reading this. :)

Attachments

• Superuser.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 8,849
Last edited:

ReSkid

Apr 4, 2012
1 more little thing.
I think the instructions in recovery are using vol up down and power buttons. But if im not mistaken,, both my recoveries you mentioned are Touch enabled. So actually no need to bash the crappy volume buttons (i really hate these volume buttons due to bad tactile feedback) :)

Actually I used the CWM Modded Recovery using Vol rockers only assuming it wasn't touch enabled due to its User Interface. The TWRP one is touch enabled. Are you sure the fixed recovery is touch enabled? As I don't want to flash the old recovery once again to test it. :)

neXus PRIME

Nov 22, 2011
Lahore, Pakistan
Actually I used the CWM Modded Recovery using Vol rockers only assuming it wasn't touch enabled due to its User Interface. The TWRP one is touch enabled. Are you sure the fixed recovery is touch enabled? As I don't want to flash the old recovery once again to test it. :)

Both my recoveries are touch enabled.
1. TWRP (JB)
2. neXusRecovery. (discontinued for updates)

I'm not really a fan of buttons.

Reactions: ReSkid

xpirt

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Feb 19, 2013

Yes, also fixed recovery is touch enabled: you mean the nexus Recovery, right?

xpirt

mary-lou

Dec 30, 2012
root JB without flashing custom recovery?

Hi!

I haven't flashed TWRP v2.5.0.0 but only boot the phone into this custom recovery, which is working perfectly. (I want to keep the stock recovery.)
I can install and use the Aroma File Manager (TWRP with Aroma File Manager did not work.)
I can mount the system partition and change / delete files.

However, with a reboot, all my changes will be undone.

Before installing Aroma File Manager for the first time, I installed SuperSu1.34.zip. No error. I installed Aroma File Manager right after it, and I think it said "rooted".

Using TWRP's SuperSu does not work (no error message, but system reboots, and it says it's not rooted.)

My question: can I root my phone while only booting into a non-stock recovery or do I have to flash TWRP and then root the phone?

Would I see the system apps e.g., after mounting /system, even if the phone was not rooted?

I am new to JB, I had 2.3.7 before, which I could root without flashing a custom recovery.
I am not sure if I have to flash the custom recovery because of the s-off problem with HTC devices?
If I flash a custom recovery and root the device, can I flash the stock recovery afterwards without loosing root again?

Would you recommend using SuperSu or Superuser? Which version?
I don't think I need busybox.

I only want to delete bloatware and change the battery symbol.

Thanks for your help!

dansou901

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2012
Aachen
OnePlus Nord
I didn't try rooting using the stock recovery, but I think it won't be possible as it won't let us change system partition due to S-On. But after you rooted using a custom recovery you can flash the stock recovery again without loosing root. But keep in mind that you won't be able to change system partition. Also, you can't flash zips which aren't signed by HTC.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using xda premium

mary-lou

Dec 30, 2012
I didn't try rooting using the stock recovery, but I think it won't be possible as it won't let us change system partition due to S-On.

The question is if there is a difference if I just boot into the custom recovery vs. if it is flashed and I boot into it. Does ist need to be properly flashed to allow writing in /system?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have seen that since the update notification for Jelly Bean has arrived, Many people (Including me) have been asking for a Tutorial to root the Jelly Bean updated HTC Desire X (HTC DX for short). In this tutorial I would like to mention the steps to root Android Jelly Bean (JB) on HTC DX.

UPDATE: Tutorial with Screenshots here : HTC Desire X Root

This was what had worked for me when I recently rooted by HTC Desire X with Jelly Bean Update, So I hope it works for you too. I am assuming you have just installed the OTA Update and are now sitting with a Stock Jelly Bean on your device.

Summary:

1. Unlock Bootloader (if not already unlocked).
    3. Flash Super User and Install Busy Box.
    4. Enjoy.

Steps.

1. Unlocking Bootloader.

There is a fully explained thread on unlocking bootloader and rooting android ICS put up by user nlooooo, Follow that thread and unlock your bootloader.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2076675

Once you update via OTA for the JB Update, Your HBoot becomes JB Hboot instead of the old ICS Hboot so you need a JB Hboot compatible Custom Recovery to flash the Super User and Root.

Our fellow user atis112 fixed the recovery by neXus PRIME to make it work with JB. So you need to download the JB Custom Recovery from the attachment and put it in your C Drive, So the file location would be C:\recovery.img

2.1] Download JB Recovery.img from here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=39662992&postcount=66 OR You can use the TWRP Recovery Image made by Yasir. Download from here : http://d-h.st/tSc

2.2] Once you put it in C Drive you need to connect your HTC Mobile to PC and Install HTC JB Drivers, You can install the drivers from here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2222501. Make sure you have installed the Drivers correctly.

2.3] Open your Android SDK (Download it from here if not already) and Go to the \sdk\platform-tools folder. If on Windows 7, Keep the Shift Key pressed + Right click on an empty place in the platform-tools folder > Open Command Window here.

2.4] Type in the following command and see if your device is detected.

After it is detected, Type the following command.

adb reboot bootloader

Once you are in the bootloader, Type the following command.

fastboot flash recovery c:\recovery.img

followed by

fastboot reboot-bootloader

and

fastboot erase cache

2.5] Now you have installed your custom recovery. Now Reboot your Phone.

3. Install SuperUser and Busybox.

3.1] Once again connect your HTC to PC, Download the attached SuperUser.zip and copy it to your SD Card.

3.2] Open the command prompt again as said earlier by going to platform-tools folder and using the adb devices command to check if the phone is detected.

3.3] Once it is connected, Type the following command.

3.4] Now you are in the recovery, Use the Volume Up and Down keys to navigate it (Use the power button to select an option).

Navigate to Install Flashable Zip. (This should be the first option and already selected.)

Press Power Button once.

Select "Choose Zip from internal SD-Card" or "external SD-Card" accordingly as to where you put the Superuser.zip.

Press Power Button once.

Scroll and select the Superuser.zip using the Volume Keys.

Press Power Button once.

Then you have flashed your Zip successfully and you are rooted.

Go back to the Main screen using the "Go back" option. Select the "Reboot System Now".

Once you are in the HTC Main screen > Go to App Drawer > Google Play Store > Search for Busy Box and Install it.

That is it, You are now on Jelly Bean and Successfully Rooted.

To Check If You Are Rooted.

1. Open Playstore and search for an app named "Terminal Emulator".
    2. Install it.
    3. Open it and type in su and execute it.
    4. You will get a prompt from Superuser to allow or deny > Allow it.

If you get that prompt, You are successfully rooted.

I hope I have provided credits to all the users whose threads I have mentioned. If not please let me know.

Thanks for reading this. :)
    Or you can refer to my TWRP for JB. Its much better than the fixed neXusRecovery.

Both my recoveries are touch enabled.
    1. TWRP (JB)
    2. neXusRecovery. (discontinued for updates)

I'm not really a fan of buttons.
    my cell is rooted, but I am facing a problem, whenever I am trying to install busybox, it won't install , either it restarts the device or show a message that busy box can't be installed...

That is because of S-ON. Boot into Recovery and Flash the attached Zip.
    all done..recovery.img and busybox flashed with TWRP Recovery..all done..because im begginer to this and this is my first time to root android device..now if i want to do factory reset, what i will lost ??
    All your data (apps installed)

xpirt