[Tutorial] How To Root Nexus 5 Lollipop 5.0.1

Search This thread

pushkardua

Apr 18, 2012
Delhi
www.androidclaus.com
Hi Everyone, I am Pushkar Dua just wanted to share a rooting guide for Nexus 5 Android 5.0.1

As many people Reported that Root has stopped working after the 5.0.1 Update or previous Binaries lead device to Boot Loop,

Please Download Latest Binaries That i am providing here: http://download.chainfire.eu/641/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.40.zip

And flash it with TWRP recovery..
Please Use TWRP Version 2.8.1.0 as people reported some problems in latest 2.8.2.0 version.
Downlaload TWRP 2.8.1.0

Please note: if you're having a problem with twrp 2.8.1.0 asking for password..
Please use twrp 2.0.4.5 :)
just reboot to system and you will have root access..

Watch the video for more info and Please Hit thanks or subscribe me on youtube to support me! every bit will be strongly appreciated!
Please Leave your questions BY QUOTING ME :)
Thanks

Thanks To @Chainfire for making this!

Original Thread for SuperSU : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053 Root Nexus 5 Lollipop 5.0.1

Last edited:

Ubichinon

Nov 17, 2012
Guys, i installed the 5.0.1 update by fastboot flashing system, boot and radio. I lost my custom recovery tho (CWR). I now tried to install TWRP, but after flashing the recovery image, the recovery still hasnt changed. Could i just flash CRW or should i use TWRP for this version?

pushkardua

Apr 18, 2012
Delhi
www.androidclaus.com
Guys, i installed the 5.0.1 update by fastboot flashing system, boot and radio. I lost my custom recovery tho (CWR). I now tried to install TWRP, but after flashing the recovery image, the recovery still hasnt changed. Could i just flash CRW or should i use TWRP for this version?
have you tried wugfresh's nexus toolkit to flash TWRP recovery???
maybe that works........ waiting for ur response... let me know..

Reactions: class101

class101

Nov 24, 2014
Nantes
steamcommunity.com

This. I flash with it here since 4.4.4 and it did everything just fine. Not only it is an app to automatically root, but it gives very good hints, and provides lots of others features like installing Apks, getting a adb prompt, and so much more. Greatest third party Android app I have tried. Highly recommended, didn't even had to wait they update it for 5.0.1, as soon I got the 5.0.1 OTA notification, Nexus Root Toolkit was already ready for it.

MrKaon

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
This is lollipop security, custom recover wouldn't stick, after each reboot it will replaced with stock one, of course there is a way to make it sticky just search the forum.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MrKaon

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Everyone, I am Pushkar Dua just wanted to share a rooting guide for Nexus 5 Android 5.0.1

As many people Reported that Root has stopped working after the 5.0.1 Update or previous Binaries lead device to Boot Loop,

Please Download Latest Binaries That i am providing here: http://download.chainfire.eu/641/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.40.zip

And flash it with TWRP recovery..
    Please Use TWRP Version 2.8.1.0 as people reported some problems in latest 2.8.2.0 version.
    Downlaload TWRP 2.8.1.0

Please note: if you're having a problem with twrp 2.8.1.0 asking for password..
    Please use twrp 2.0.4.5 :)
    just reboot to system and you will have root access..

Watch the video for more info and Please Hit thanks or subscribe me on youtube to support me! every bit will be strongly appreciated!
    Please Leave your questions BY QUOTING ME :)
    Thanks

Thanks To @Chainfire for making this!

Original Thread for SuperSU : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053 Root Nexus 5 Lollipop 5.0.1
    Since you've probably lost your custom recovery upgrading to 5.0.1, you can grab the TWRP images for Nexus 5 here: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/hammerhead

I believe you need to use 2.8.1.0 since 2.8.2.0 either doesn't work or is causing problems for many users.
    So you are saying I can't install 5.0.1 with a rooted 5.0? I can't even flash my SuperSU binary because I have the TWRP problem anyway! My phone is encrypted! They said TWRP 2.8.3 takes care of it and I am running TWRP 2.6. But I don't know how to update TWRP. If 2.8 does work with phone encryption then all I have to do is update my TWRP and then I can flash SuperSU binary and fix my root problem. Right now my root is all ****ed up. Encrypting my phone screwed everything up. I am just thinking about factory resetting my phone and starting from scratch. I wouldn't know if I did factory reset my phone if I would have to unlock the bootloader again though, would I? How would that work? Ugh.

If you think you are all messed up.. Just flash the latest factory image with fastboot adb commands..
    Note it will wipe all the data if you flash userdata.img (don't remember correct name)

Once you have stock 5.0.1 .. You need to download latest root file(updated-supersu 2.40)
    And latest twrp which is 2.8.3
    Not you need to flash twrp the same way you.. With fastboot...
    Just renamed twrp to recovery.img and place it to into c:\
    Now open cmd and press type
    cd c:\
    Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

And you will have latesr twrp on your phone...
    Once you have latest twrp installed...
    Just flash the root file with recovery...
    Leave a reply for any questions.. ;)
    With respect, your title is misleading . That is not an article on how to root..... It's one on updating binaries. A totally different subject. Some one wishing to root will waste their time reading that.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone