• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Tutorial] How to set up sms/call/email count with tasker and minimalistic text

Search This thread

thedesolatesoul

Oct 3, 2010
Sorry for all the questions, new to Tasker!

So I'd add Alert-->Popup(?) and then set the text to %THEBODY?

Edit: Ok, so that got a popup from Tasker, but not using Minimalistic text widget.

So you are saying that the popup has the correct SMS body text in it?
It means that for some reason the SMS body is not going into MT?
I have done it before for sure, but it wasnt looking pretty so I removed it.
Can you check your MT variables? To check that, forcefully assign something to the variable like '1' or 'hello' and see if that reflects in the widget.

Reactions: tekhna

tekhna

Dec 31, 2007
So you are saying that the popup has the correct SMS body text in it?
It means that for some reason the SMS body is not going into MT?
I have done it before for sure, but it wasnt looking pretty so I removed it.
Can you check your MT variables? To check that, forcefully assign something to the variable like '1' or 'hello' and see if that reflects in the widget.

Yes, it has the SMS body text in it, it's just not going to MT. The MT Widget either blank, or it displays %THEBODY. I set %THEBODY to 'hello' when I receive any SMS and it displays 'hello' but MT just displays %THEBODY

Edit: On an unrooted Thunderbolt, otherwise I'd post screenshots. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

thedesolatesoul

Oct 3, 2010
Yes, it has the SMS body text in it, it's just not going to MT. The MT Widget either blank, or it displays %THEBODY. I set %THEBODY to 'hello' when I receive any SMS and it displays 'hello' but MT just displays %THEBODY

Edit: On an unrooted Thunderbolt, otherwise I'd post screenshots. Thanks for the help!

Weird. The MT Plugin is not considering %THEBODY to be a variable for some reason. Weird weird.:confused:

thedesolatesoul

Oct 3, 2010
Totally weird. I also tried setting up MT to display the playing track using Tasker, and it just displays %MTRACK. There's some sort of glitch, I guess.

Well %MTRACK never worked for me. There was nothing in the variable. Tasker couldnt integrate with Samsungs Media Player.
Can you try another variable like the SMS contact name etc...maybe the sms body is too long to go into the MT variable.

OneDeep

Jan 2, 2011
This what I got so far still tryin to get Tasker to update right away
ad62f8f4-6b48-c938.jpg

Sent from my HTC Evo

tekhna

Dec 31, 2007
Well %MTRACK never worked for me. There was nothing in the variable. Tasker couldnt integrate with Samsungs Media Player.
Can you try another variable like the SMS contact name etc...maybe the sms body is too long to go into the MT variable.

Tasker pops up the proper #, but MT just display %THEBODY.

See attachment (ghetto taken with Photo Booth!)

Edit: I'm actually wondering if there's some problem with Tasker's variables. I'm trying the same thing with Text Widget http://www.appbrain.com/app/text-widget/com.tText
and having the same problem. It displays %SMSRB as well. Not sure what's up.

Last edited:

Leshy01

May 11, 2010
Tasker pops up the proper #, but MT just display %THEBODY.

See attachment (ghetto taken with Photo Booth!)

Edit: I'm actually wondering if there's some problem with Tasker's variables. I'm trying the same thing with Text Widget http://www.appbrain.com/app/text-widget/com.tText
and having the same problem. It displays %SMSRB as well. Not sure what's up.

Make sure in addition to setting the variable %THEBODY to %SMSRB in tasker you are also then setting the minimalistic plugin too.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk

tekhna

Dec 31, 2007
Make sure in addition to setting the variable %THEBODY to %SMSRB in tasker you are also then setting the minimalistic plugin too.

Within the same task, in Tasker? And then setting it in Minimalist widget? I've done that.. but just for sake of clarity:

I'd set %THEBODY=%SMSRB and then add another step w/minimalist plugin where Name is '%SMS' and variable is 'THEBODY'

Greystreet

Mar 23, 2011
Notifications for GTalk

Been loving this site and it's helped me a ton being a new Android user so I figured I'd attempt to contribute. I didn't see this anywhere in the thread so I apologize if it's been noted already.

I use Gtalk alot, probably more than sms, and I wanted to set up similar minimalistic messages for my gtalk messages. Its very similar to the set up for Gmail, but the notification actually doesn't come from the Talk app that is selectable in the apps list.

To set up:

1. Create two profiles similar to GMail setup only for Talk. Just use the selectable Talk app from the list for now.

2. Choose the notification profile and open Options(click on the tools that make an 'x') and select Export. Chose export XML to SD.

3. Find the xml file at sdcard\Tasker\Profiles and open it...I emailed the file to my self so I could look at it on my pc.

4. Update the item <appPkg>com.google.android.talk</appPkg> to <appPkg>com.google.android.gsf</appPkg> and save. If you did this on your pc you'll want to get the file back into that folder now.

5. Back in tasker, delete the original notification profile.

6. Hit menu and choose Profile Data->Import One Profile and choose your xml file

That should do it for you. I hope this can help some one and sorry if I was a little verbose, I'm new to Android and like detailed steps and assume everyone else does too :D

Reactions: NachoB

thedesolatesoul

Oct 3, 2010
Within the same task, in Tasker? And then setting it in Minimalist widget? I've done that.. but just for sake of clarity:

I'd set %THEBODY=%SMSRB and then add another step w/minimalist plugin where Name is '%SMS' and variable is 'THEBODY'

Just for the sake of clarity, the variable where name is '%SMS' should be '%THEBODY'
Also, preferable not to use the variable %SMS as it may be a reserved internal tasker variable

Been loving this site and it's helped me a ton being a new Android user so I figured I'd attempt to contribute. I didn't see this anywhere in the thread so I apologize if it's been noted already.

I use Gtalk alot, probably more than sms, and I wanted to set up similar minimalistic messages for my gtalk messages. Its very similar to the set up for Gmail, but the notification actually doesn't come from the Talk app that is selectable in the apps list.

To set up:

1. Create two profiles similar to GMail setup only for Talk. Just use the selectable Talk app from the list for now.

2. Choose the notification profile and open Options(click on the tools that make an 'x') and select Export. Chose export XML to SD.

3. Find the xml file at sdcard\Tasker\Profiles and open it...I emailed the file to my self so I could look at it on my pc.

4. Update the item <appPkg>com.google.android.talk</appPkg> to <appPkg>com.google.android.gsf</appPkg> and save. If you did this on your pc you'll want to get the file back into that folder now.

5. Back in tasker, delete the original notification profile.

6. Hit menu and choose Profile Data->Import One Profile and choose your xml file

That should do it for you. I hope this can help some one and sorry if I was a little verbose, I'm new to Android and like detailed steps and assume everyone else does too :D

com.google.android.gsf is Google Service Framework..hmm...how does that help
ill try this soon

tekhna

Dec 31, 2007
So didn't see this thread but got gmail unread count and heres how. Basically everything else is the same but your event that triggers the task is going to be notification under the menu ui and set the owner of the app to gmail. So anytime you get a notification from gmail, the counter increases. Thats also how I get google voice counter.

Only other thing you need to do is in addition to the counter reset by opening the app, you make another profile that resets the counter everytime you click the notification icon in the pull down. Reason being sometimes clicking that I've found gmail doesn't always tell android its application has opened if you do it this way.

Don't know if this was explained but with my setup the first missed call shows who it was, and after that it lists the amount of missed calls and not the name. If you want this, in tasker when you set the variable that minimalistic text uses, youre going to use if statements. 1. If missed calls<2 set the variable to equal tasker's built in variable %cname otherwise have it be the counter. Can't explain it otherwise cause I have no access to a computer or a way to send the tasker profile atm but if someone else wants to help explain they can.

Alternatively to set it back to zero, if you make your gmail icon widget with Tasker, couldn't you do:

Load app: Gmail
Variable set %GMAILCOUNTER to 0 +Do maths.

So it's not clicking the app, it's clicking the widget that triggers the counter going back to 0?

Edit: Yep, that works perfectly to modify %GMAILCOUNTER through a task. Much better than clicking through notifications. But you could have it set up to do it through loading the app, notifications, and clicking the widget, that way you'd hit 'em all!

Last edited:

Kablam228

Mar 7, 2011
Open up tasker and select your counter profile so that you see the context and task boxes. Click on the task box and then select edit. Click the plus then select Display then "Turn On" and click "Done". Then you just click and hold to select the "Turn On" task and drag it to the top of the list of tasks. If it isn't at the top, then it wont update properly.

Does anyone know why this option is disabled on my Nexus S? And either how to enable it, or another work around? Cheers

Last edited:

kingchris

Apr 17, 2007
i found out that you can do the same with GMail, if u capture the Notification from Gmail
(Event -> UI -> Notification) so you can get a Counter for all Apps which creates Notifications

i should read the thread till the end -.-

Last edited:

sjaakdesirehd

Jan 18, 2011
It doesn't work for me, Tasker keeps saying, "no active profiles":confused:
It works now, I just had to open the Handcent app and close it. That triggered the count

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since tasker can be complicated ive tried to make this as simple as possible even though it might not seem like it. This is my first tutorial so constructive criticism and comments are appreciated!

NOTE: If you dont know what Tasker is research it and what it does otherwise you wont understand this tutorial.

1. Setting up the first profile

A. Okay first we need to start a new profile in tasker by clicking "new" on the bottom.
    Name it whatever you want or leave it blank.
    Your first profile should look like this once completed:
    1stshot.jpg

2. Setting when your context so tasker will know when its supposed to do something

A. You want your context to be "received text".
    Choosing through menus go to "Event>Phone>Received Text"

3. Setting up what tasker is supposed to do when the "conditions/context" are met

A. Next we need a task, name it whatever you want or leave it blank. Add a task by clicking the plus on the bottom left. When choosing actions you want to navigate to "Variable>Variable Set"
    When setting up this variable, you want it to look like this:
    2ndshot.jpg

Make sure there are spaces between the + and 1 and "Do Maths" is checked otherwise it wont display right.

4. Setting up tasker so it will send the sms count to Minimalistic Text widget

A. Add a 2nd task by clicking the plus on the bottom left. When choosing an action navigate to "Plugin>Minimalistic Text variable settings. The settings will show up, set them up like this:
    3rdshot.jpg

Okay so we've set up a profile to add a 1 to the count everytime you have a new text. Problem is, we have to set up another profile to reset the count to 0 after youve read your texts

5. Setting up the 2nd profile so your sms app to reset the count to 0 when closed

A. Start a new profile, name it or not, and add a context of "Application>whatever messaging app you use here". I use chompsms so for me its "Application>chompsms".
    It will look like this when completed:
    4thshot.jpg

B. Set up the new variable like so:
    5thshot.jpg

This will reset the counter to zero everytime you close out of your messaging app

EDIT: its also possible to have not have the zero displayed so theres nothing there. Instead of using "variable set" use "variable clear" with the variable your using.

C. Add one more variable to have Tasker display it through Minimalistic text. Its the same set up as step 4A

6. Setting up minimalistic text to display tasker variables

A. Create a new minimal text widget on your homescreen/lockscreen and choose "custom layout". Add "Locale Variable" from Misc and set up the variable name to be % MNMLMSGCOUNT
    6thshot.jpg

NOTE: Minimal text will not add "SMS" or "MESSAGES" in front of the count. You have to manually add it with "Static Text" under Misc

Exapmles of how i use it:
    7thshot.jpg

8thshot.jpg

Please leave questions or comments if you have them and since i did this on my phone i will check how it looks on a computer soon

Thanks: thedesolatesoul for explaining to me how to set this up! He should post a screen of his so we'll see how his is set up

Update 2-10
    Missed Call Count: call count is achieved by following the tutorial and changing "MSGCOUNT" to "MISSEDCALL" and changing the 2nd profile app to phone

Update 2-11
    Unread Email Count: this works with only K-9 since its open source. Same set up for sms count just different context "K9 Email Received" and different variable "%UNREADEMAILCOUNT". The 2nd profile context to set it to zero is app "K9"
    9thshot.jpg
    Thanks guys! Ill add more pictures too
    Do you have any other cool things you've done with Tasker?
    In "Variable Name" ? I did..

Hmm im not sure. With the app profile make sure your variable is set "To 0"
    Slightly off-topic, but relevant--any idea how I'd set up Tasker to display a minimalist widget with the content of the last SMS from a particular contact?

I have it set as %VARNAME and the variable content is %SMSRB
    if
    %SMSRF ~ (Contact)

and then in
    Minimalist widget I have it set to Locale and %VARNAME, but it doesn't display anything.

Edit: Ok, I cut out the if SMSRF ~ (Contact) bit, and now the widget is displaying something, but instead of the last text from the contact, it's displaying %SMSRB

Any ideas?

What is the event you have that triggers the task? you should be able to set incoming text from a given contact to enable the task.