[Tutorial] ]Install app offline / sideload app using powershell in windows 8.1 RT on surface RT

Search This thread

tomgeniewang

Mar 11, 2019
Ok i tested it on my Windows 8.1 x64 installation and they still gave me a free developer license, and in fact i was able to sideload AccuWeather for Windows 8, and it doesn't show the "X" symbol (error) in the start screen anymore!
The app still won't launch, but i think it's because of missing dependencies.

Here is how to get a developer license:
1) Run PowerShell as Administrator
2) Type Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration
3) Sign in with your MS account when asked, and it will give you the license immediately for free :)

So in theory i successfully installed an Appx (because i don't get the X showing up on the start screen), im gonna try to get the dependencies now, i attached a screenshot.

PS: I got the instructions from here: https://www.howtogeek.com/129535/how-to-sideload-modern-apps-on-windows-8/

View attachment 5846835
Wow, that's amazing. I will definately give it a try. Thanks so much.

dj_tech1

Feb 23, 2023
Temporary i'm unable to test. I'm waiting for Your tests :) Give a request with screen if the operation will be successfull ;) Good luck!

Reactions: jonnyprogamer

jonnyprogamer

Jun 9, 2021
Found fix! you can test sign your APPX and install them with PowerShell, works and i can run Metro Apps!
remotedesktop.png

Attachments

• Netflix.png
    Netflix.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 113

dj_tech1

Feb 23, 2023
@jonnyprogamer @tomgeniewang

IMG20230329083156.jpg

For few weeks I've been testing fev systems and a lot of apps. Everything is great with apps sideloading, but there is one huge problem.
We need to find a solution that will work also in Windows 8.0
Why?
The developer license is valid only for 6 months. After this peroid of time we will be unable to run installed apps (if microsoft will turn off license server to renew license). So, the most logical solution is to make apps run on Windows 8.0 with lifetime license. If we will make it, we can use it also on 8.1.

I'm studying MS docs...

Is there straight answer to easy get developer license that do not expire (without joining the domain) or sideloading product key?

BTW: These bastards made something in San Andreas servers, because it stops to load... It works only on Windows 10...

Last edited:
Reactions: tomgeniewang

jonnyprogamer

Jun 9, 2021

View attachment 5875183

For few weeks I've been testing fev systems and a lot of apps. Everything is great with apps sideloading, but there is one huge problem.
Why?
The developer license is valid only for 6 months. After this peroid of time we will be unable to run installed apps (if microsoft will turn off license server to renew license). So, the most logical solution is to make apps run on Windows 8.0 with lifetime license. If we will make it, we can use it also on 8.1.

I'm studying MS docs...

Is there straight answer to easy get developer license that do not expire (without joining the domain) or sideloading product key?

BTW: These bastards made something in San Andreas servers, because it stops to load... It works only on Windows 10...
Hi, i don't think there is a way to install app without license, domain or dev product key, i think only option would be to emulate MS license server with a Proxy.

tomgeniewang

Mar 11, 2019

View attachment 5875183

Why?

I'm studying MS docs...

oops, that's such a good point. I guess I will look into it when the license expired

dj_tech1

Feb 23, 2023
I've Searched about signing and i found two certificates:

One from XDA dedicated to Surface. Used for signing desktop apps.

and second named Hadesy Pcbeta (only one that's expire date is 2017 - past date instalation od apps beore expire?)
Used for signing APPX, but i dont know if visual studio is required.
Manual: http://m.cfan.com.cn/article/103864
Thread about: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...ding-added-7-31-games-for-win8-1.53181/page-2

Someone will give a try?

Also - about developer license - if i will set the time to past (2013) and disable the internet and time update - will the license be valid thru 2023 (10 years?).

Attachments

• Hadesy_pcbeta_2017.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

jonnyprogamer

Jun 9, 2021
how do you test sign the appx? Any instructions?

----------------------------------------------------------​

Essential Requirements:​

* I checked today (01/05/2023) and it appears that the Build Tools link is dead, for this reason im uploading the buildtools on my Mediafire account, i will add the link here when the upload is finished.

UPDATE: New BuildTools Link :)

Note: the build tools can't be used under Windows RT.​

Instructions:​

1) Extract the "Appx Packer v2.5.zip" that you downloaded on the Win 7 / 8 PC that you want to use to sign the Metro Apps. (i recommend that you extract the tools to C:\Program Files(x86)\ and then add the folder to your system %PATH%)

2) Add a developer license to your Windows 8 / Windows RT installation (the PC / Surface where you want to install / test your signed ".appx").

• Run PowerShell as Administrator
  • Type Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration
  • Sign in with your MS account when asked, and it will give you the license immediately for free :)

3) Download the ".appx" or ".appxbundle" of the app that you want (use https://store.rg-adguard.net/, just find the Windows Store URL of a Win 8 / RT compatible Metro App and paste it there to download the required files).

4) If the file that you downloaded ends with ".appxbundle" then unzip the contents of it to a folder (use 7-Zip or "makeappx unbundle path/to/appx-bundle"), otherwise if it is ".appx" just skip this.

5) Launch CMD as Administrator and follow the instructions below:

--------------------------------------------------------​

UNPACK APPX (step 1):
makeappx unpack /p file.appx /d DATA

FIND DEVELOPER NAME VALUE (step 2):
Go into the "DATA" folder, open the file named "AppxManifest.xml" and copy the "Pubblisher" Value -> (CN=...)

GENERATE CERTIFICATE (step 3.1):
NOTE: put no password (press None) when asked while generating the ".cer" file.
makecert -r -pe -n "CN=..put.value.of.step2.." -e 12/31/3000 -a sha256 -cy end -sky signature -sv MySPC.pvk MySPC.cer

GENERATE PRIVATE KEYS (step 3.2):
pvk2pfx -pvk MySPC.pvk -spc MySPC.cer -pfx MySPC.pfx

ADD CERTIFICATE AND PRIVATE KEYS TO THE "TRUSTED ROOT AUTHORITIES" STORE (step 3.3):
Double click
the "MySPC.cer" that you just created and choose "Local Computer", then press "Next".
Now choose "Place all certificates in the following store" -> press "Browse" -> choose "Trusted Root Certification Autorithies" and press "OK" -> press "Next" -> Press "Finish".
Repeat the same process for the "MySPC.pfx" file ;)

NOTE: I think that it's not necessary to integrate the ".pfx" file, since that's just used for signing the App, try integrating the ".cer" first and if the app works then you can avoid integrating the ".pfx".

RE-PACK APPX (step 4):
makeappx pack /d DATA /p file-signed.appx

SIGN THE APPX (step 5):
SignTool sign /v /fd SHA256 /f MySPC.pfx file-signed.appx

INSTALL THE METRO APP (APPX) ON YOUR WINDOWS RT DEVICE (step 6):
Add-AppxPackage -Path file-signed.appx

NOTE: If the App requires any dependency install it like this:
Add-AppxPackage -Path file-signed.appx -DependencyPath dependency.appx

I hope that this guide will help you guys, it took me 3 days of reading MSDN docs to understand how to run these damned apps :), maybe in the future we will be able to bypass this developer license (since M$ might shut down their license servers).

Last edited:

tomgeniewang

Mar 11, 2019

1) Extract the "Appx Packer v2.5.zip" that you downloaded on the Win 7 / 8 PC that you want to use to sign the Metro Apps. (i recommend that you extract the tools to C:\Program Files(x86)\ and then add the folder to your system %PATH%)

2) Add a developer license to your Windows 8 / Windows RT installation (the PC / Surface where you want to install / test your signed ".appx").

3) Download the ".appx" or ".appxbundle" of the app that you want (use https://store.rg-adguard.net/, just find the Windows Store URL of a Win 8 / RT compatible Metro App and paste it there to download the required files).

4) If the file that you downloaded ends with ".appxbundle" then unzip the contents of it to a folder (use 7-Zip or "makeappx unbundle path/to/appx-bundle"), otherwise if it is ".appx" just skip this.

UNPACK APPX (step 1):

Go into the "DATA" folder, open the file named "AppxManifest.xml" and copy the "Pubblisher" Value -> (CN=...)

makecert -r -pe -n "CN=..put.value.of.step2.." -e 12/31/3000 -a sha256 -cy end -sky signature -sv MySPC.pvk MySPC.cer

RE-PACK APPX (step 4):

SIGN THE APPX (step 5):

I hope that this guide will help you guys, it took me 3 days of reading MSDN docs to understand how to run these damned apps :), maybe in the future we will be able to bypass this developer license (since M$ might shut down their license servers).
That's epic. You are really the man. Thanks heaps

tomgeniewang

Mar 11, 2019
I've Searched about signing and i found two certificates:

One from XDA dedicated to Surface. Used for signing desktop apps.

and second named Hadesy Pcbeta (only one that's expire date is 2017 - past date instalation od apps beore expire?)
Used for signing APPX, but i dont know if visual studio is required.
Manual: http://m.cfan.com.cn/article/103864
Thread about: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...ding-added-7-31-games-for-win8-1.53181/page-2

Someone will give a try?

Also - about developer license - if i will set the time to past (2013) and disable the internet and time update - will the license be valid thru 2023 (10 years?).
Setting the time back, that's the first thing I would like to try when app couldn't run due to license expired. However, the way I install it is by removing the signature. So it might not require the developer license to run it. We will see at that point

jonnyprogamer

Jun 9, 2021
Setting the time back, that's the first thing I would like to try when app couldn't run due to license expired. However, the way I install it is by removing the signature. So it might not require the developer license to run it. We will see at that point
Nope, Windows 8 requires a valid license for a Metro APP to run, if the app was developed by you (or if you follow my guide above on how to sign the app yourself) then you can install the .cer and .pfx file, and then use the app (developer license is still required, because that's how MS designed the Metro subsystem back in the day)

Only way for us to sideload apps without signing (and without having developer license) would be to find the code that checks for these requirements and remove it / patch it, but i think that a way easier solution is just to simulate the service that MS uses to give developer licenses, and make a custom web server.

camborita

Dec 27, 2019

UNPACK APPX (step 1):

RE-PACK APPX (step 4):

SIGN THE APPX (step 5):

Thanks very much for the hard work to figure this out and the detailed write-up. With the above, I was able to reinstall Netflix on my Windows 8.1 RT Asus tablet since this can no longer be done through the Windows Store.

One step to add is that the certificate that you generate must be imported into the Trusted Root Certificates through the mmc.exe console on the Windows 8 machine. A good write up how to do that is here (it is for W10, but also works on W8 (RT flavor or otherwise):

However, I am having an issue with the Netflix app in general. For any title that has multiple episodes (such as a tv series), the episodes do not show up - they only appear as blank gray tiles, and cannot be selected and as such cannot be watched (see attached screen shot). For an individual movie, there are no issues, but for any content that has multiple episodes, they cannot be watched. Has anyone run into this problem? If so, is there are a fix for this?

Thanks in advance for any ideas how to solve this.

Attachments

• NF series - blank episodes.jpg
    NF series - blank episodes.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 57

jonnyprogamer

Jun 9, 2021
Thanks very much for the hard work to figure this out and the detailed write-up. With the above, I was able to reinstall Netflix on my Windows 8.1 RT Asus tablet since this can no longer be done through the Windows Store.

One step to add is that the certificate that you generate must be imported into the Trusted Root Certificates through the mmc.exe console on the Windows 8 machine. A good write up how to do that is here (it is for W10, but also works on W8 (RT flavor or otherwise):

However, I am having an issue with the Netflix app in general. For any title that has multiple episodes (such as a tv series), the episodes do not show up - they only appear as blank gray tiles, and cannot be selected and as such cannot be watched (see attached screen shot). For an individual movie, there are no issues, but for any content that has multiple episodes, they cannot be watched. Has anyone run into this problem? If so, is there are a fix for this?

Thanks in advance for any ideas how to solve this.
Yep, forgot to specify that you need to add the certificate, gonna edit the message and do that now.
As for Netflix well i don't have it so i can't confirm, but my guess would be that they changed something in the API that broke that functionality, try to get the absolute latest version of the App (I know that they developed the RT version for a bit longer)

BsVerma

Dec 8, 2016
Plz help I need a working way to install apps
Need vlc or any mkv player

I install vlc and 2-3 other apps by power shell with your mathod
But after installation app not open all apps show same error

I m using windows surface 8.1 rt tablet
I need video player there is no video player at time

Attachments

• 16828689840546831196210789736334.jpg
    16828689840546831196210789736334.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 70

Bumkers

May 1, 2023
to be able to run the app, we will have to bypass the app license.
Not to annoy you, but you mention you got the developer license,
is there no way to bypass the app license without getting developer license?
Not that im complaining cause i can install it via developer license, just asking : o

tomgeniewang

Mar 11, 2019
Not that im complaining cause i can install it via developer license, just asking : o
That's all good. I acutally haven't tested this by myself. As i got the developer license first. So I wouldn't know whether it would work if I don't have the develper license by just reomving the certificate in the appx. But one issue I run into is that the app will stop working after some time. But with @jonnyprogamer method to sign the app, it actually doesn't have this issue.

jonnyprogamer

Jun 9, 2021

Please follow my method instead, the OP post is outdated.

BsVerma

Dec 8, 2016
I try jailbreak , developer licence + test mode + source boot Disable ,8.1 windows update 3 manual installation , try hard 5 days but in windows 8.1 rt store and apps not working then install Win 10 arm insider 15035 in surface rt much better then 8.1 rt
I install 10 + games and vlc and windows theme pack (not working h265 codes video ) need better video player and better' browser ...I try 30 plus store browser and yt tube apps nothing working better then IE11 .. Any one know browser for windows 10 arm insider or 8.1 rt .. help me need browser like chorm Mozilla

Attachments

• 16832345017504573941802030388881.jpg
    16832345017504573941802030388881.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 49
  • 16832347396864119557222071597901.jpg
    16832347396864119557222071597901.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    how do you test sign the appx? Any instructions?

* I checked today (01/05/2023) and it appears that the Build Tools link is dead, for this reason im uploading the buildtools on my Mediafire account, i will add the link here when the upload is finished.

UPDATE: New BuildTools Link :)

• Run PowerShell as Administrator
    • Type Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration
    • Sign in with your MS account when asked, and it will give you the license immediately for free :)

UNPACK APPX (step 1):

ADD CERTIFICATE AND PRIVATE KEYS TO THE "TRUSTED ROOT AUTHORITIES" STORE (step 3.3):
    Double click
    the "MySPC.cer" that you just created and choose "Local Computer", then press "Next".
    Now choose "Place all certificates in the following store" -> press "Browse" -> choose "Trusted Root Certification Autorithies" and press "OK" -> press "Next" -> Press "Finish".
    Repeat the same process for the "MySPC.pfx" file ;)

NOTE: I think that it's not necessary to integrate the ".pfx" file, since that's just used for signing the App, try integrating the ".cer" first and if the app works then you can avoid integrating the ".pfx".

RE-PACK APPX (step 4):

SIGN THE APPX (step 5):

INSTALL THE METRO APP (APPX) ON YOUR WINDOWS RT DEVICE (step 6):
    Add-AppxPackage -Path file-signed.appx

NOTE: If the App requires any dependency install it like this:
    Add-AppxPackage -Path file-signed.appx -DependencyPath dependency.appx

It's very sad and unfair that after the extended support ending in Jan 2023, surface RT users are not even allowed to download or install app from windows store anymore, such enormous company as Microsoft is just too rich and huge to not be evil, so i had to start to look for ways to get offline installers and manually install them. I can sucessfully install them and it shows on the windows store as installed. But the app could not run properly, i get a message saying the app needs to be repaird and it just stuck on repairing in the windows store. but i don't know whether it's because the issue of my system, as it's not the original system and I could not sync my license of the windows store in the app undates. As this is usually the reason that the app could not be updated in windows store. So maybe it could work on the original system? Somebody have a try?

You need to open your actual Microsoft Store.

Find the app that you want, get the link of the app.

go to this site:
    https://store.rg-adguard.net

put the link in the box and click the tick

Look for and download the ARM or Neutral version of the app that you want, and it must be .appx or .appxbundle filetype.

You will also need to download other appx of the ARM or neutral as well. From the name you would possibly know they are the dependancies to run the actual app, so you will need to manually install them before install the actual app

I will use installing unpacker app for example. Run the powershell as administrater.

Install the dependencies first

just type in

Add-AppxPackage -Path "C:\Users\user1\Desktop\Microsoft.VCLibs.110.00_11.0.51106.1_arm__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx"

after this one is done, do the same for the next one

Microsoft.WinJS.1.0_1.0.9200.20789_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx

Add-AppxPackage -Path "C:\Users\user1\Desktop\Microsoft.VCLibs.110.00_11.0.51106.1_arm__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx"

After you get everything ready,

just type in

Add-AppxPackage -Path "C:\Users\user1\Desktop\unpacker.appx"

can get more details here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/appx/add-appxpackage?view=windowsserver2022-ps

and voila

if you get error when installing, just read the details and it's possibly you haven't installed the dependencies, which means you will need to use the same code above to install the dependencies first.

-------------------------------------------------------

update:
    Thanks to @dj_tech1 , I am pretty much sure that the evil Microsoft must have messed up the license after ceasing the support.

to be able to run the app, we will have to bypass the app license.

I have entered the test mode and also disble the DEP

To be able to do this, the secureboot has to be disabled beforehand

I have also acquired the developer liscense thanks to the help of

@jonnyprogamer at #19​

I am not sure whether all the steps above will need to be achieved or not.

Now, we need to remove the signature file of the appx.

First, extract the appx/appxbundle to a working directory, then delete "AppxSignature.p7x".

open a new Powershell window to the working directory, then run the following command:
    (I still use unpacker for example)
    Add-AppxPackage -Register .\AppxManifest.xml

-Register must point to the path of the AppxManifest.xml

Have a read here: https://titleos.dev/bypassing-microsoft-store-licensing/

And voila!!!!

UPDATE:
    with deleting the "AppxSignature.p7x". method, the app stop running after some time. I reinstall it and it can still run for some time.
    Anyway, Thanks to @jonnyprogamer @camborita

Go with the method at #29 to test sign the appx and it will not have the issue that I had.

Rememeber to give a thank to @jonnyprogamer ^_^

Please follow my method instead, the OP post is outdated.
    Some manual to make test?
    Ok i tested it on my Windows 8.1 x64 installation and they still gave me a free developer license, and in fact i was able to sideload AccuWeather for Windows 8, and it doesn't show the "X" symbol (error) in the start screen anymore!

3) Sign in with your MS account when asked, and it will give you the license immediately for free :)

So in theory i successfully installed an Appx (because i don't get the X showing up on the start screen), im gonna try to get the dependencies now, i attached a screenshot.

PS: I got the instructions from here: https://www.howtogeek.com/129535/how-to-sideload-modern-apps-on-windows-8/

Win 8 Developer license success.png

View attachment 5846835