• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Tutorial] Install Windows 10 for ARM32 on your Surface RT

Search This thread

fuzzius_navus

Jun 11, 2021
Hi all!

I'm stalled very early in this process.

dism error 13, the data is invalid.

In the logs:

Code:
2021-06-10 19:38:35, Info                  DISM   
    DISM Provider Store: PID=1176 TID=1180 Provider has previously been initialized. 
    Returning the existing instance. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider

2021-06-10 19:38:35, Error                 DISM   
    DISM WIM Provider: PID=1176 TID=1180 base\ntsetup\opktools\dism\providers\wimprovider\dll\wimmanager.cpp:1058 -
        CWimManager::Apply(hr:0x8007000d)

DISM WIM Provider: PID=1176 TID=1180 base\ntsetup\opktools\dism\providers\wimprovider\dll\wimmanager.cpp:4205 -
        CWimManager::InternalCmdApply(hr:0x8007000d)
    DISM WIM Provider: PID=1176 TID=1180 Error executing command -
        CWimManager::InternalExecuteCmd(hr:0x8007000d)
    DISM WIM Provider: PID=1176 TID=1180 base\ntsetup\opktools\dism\providers\wimprovider\dll\wimmanager.cpp:1936 -
        CWimManager::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x8007000d)
    DISM.EXE: WimManager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=8007000D
2021-06-10 19:38:35, Info                  DISM   
    DISM.EXE: Image session has been closed. Reboot required=no.

I have redownloaded the image and copied it to the USB

There was a problem early creating a recovery disk, but I followed the instructions here (https://old.alexenferman.com/create-recovery-usb) to download one for the Surface RT

Would really appreciate some guidance! The tutorial is clear and helpful, but I can't find anything about this issue online.

RT 64GB

Jun 8, 2021
Hello, I am French and I do not speak English I managed to install Windows 10 on Surface RT 8.1 without any problem.
since I would like to know if there is a language pack in particular in French and another problem my keyboard cover is no longer recognized part of the touchpad that works.
Could you help me please

RT 64GB

Jun 8, 2021
Bonjour, je suis français et je ne parle pas anglais j'ai réussi à installer Windows 10 sur Surface RT 8.1 sans aucun problème.
étant donné que j'aimerais savoir s'il existe un pack de langue notamment en français et autre problème mon cache clavier n'est plus reconnu partie du touchpad qui fonctionne.
Pourrais-tu m'aider s'il te plait
Pour le clavier SurfaceTouchCover_01 est bien reconnu mais ne trouve pas de drivers

luis77140

Aug 3, 2021
Bonjour, je suis français et je ne parle pas anglais j'ai réussi à installer Windows 10 sur Surface RT 8.1 sans aucun problème.
étant donné que j'aimerais savoir s'il existe un pack de langue notamment en français et autre problème mon cache clavier n'est plus reconnu partie du touchpad qui fonctionne.
Pourrais-tu m'aider s'il te plait
Bonjour
Tu me dire comment tu as pour installer Windows 10, un lien et tuto.
jé remercie d'avance

luis77140

Aug 3, 2021
Bonjour, pour installer il te faut te munir de :
Bonjour
Je suis bloqué la, premier images, je fais comme le tuto(deuxième images)si tu as une idée merci beaucoup

Louis
16285156527264491406457454377537.jpg
Screenshot_2021-08-09-15-25-19-31_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

luis77140

Aug 3, 2021
il faut mettre les espaces comme sur l instruction
dism (espace)/apply-image(espace) /imagefile:e:\sources\install.wim/applydir:c: (espace)/index:1
M
il faut mettre les espaces comme sur l instruction
dism (espace)/apply-image(espace) /imagefile:e:\sources\install.wim/applydir:c: (espace)/index:1
Merci j'ai réussi à l'installer... merci encore...mais il y a pas moyen de enlever"test mode"

peege3

Oct 4, 2014
I'm having trouble with the Debug Policy. Instead of being able to select with the volume keys, it wants me to type f3. If I use the volume key, it rejects the agreements and restarts. Any ideas?

ODonnell2030

Aug 14, 2021
I installed windows10 on my surfaceRT1 successfully and set up everything just fine instead of activating windows using 1st post method and key? A warning that my windows will be expired keeps pop up. Any solutions for that?

biggestelfintown

Aug 20, 2021
I am amazed I got Windows 10 to work, and it seems reasonably fast. The edge browser is an improvement, but still there is a website it will not work for. Says I need v90+ ... any way to get that ? Possibly "chromium" may work... I attempted to use the one for the ARM32 ... but could not get that to install. Now that I've successfully got W10 to work, any updated browsers?

vasilyst

Dec 4, 2020
Played around with old RT and bricked it, showed disabled secured boot, but after installing windows 10, stuck on Surface logo, and won't boot anything. Is there a method to get it working again? I have made recovery usb, tried different images, and usb, nothing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is made based on my experience and based on the other thread: "[Tutorial] Install Windows 10 for ARM32 on your Surface 2".

It is not complete yet. I will be adding files and more clear instructions slowly.
    Do this at your own risk. Your device may be bricked. I am still not sure if the SecureBoot fix should be executed on 8.0 or 8.1

# How to Install Windows 10 on the Surface RT #
    2020/02/16 kephax

Download complete tools: [will upload]
    Download temporary link in attachments

## 0. Restore Windows 8.1

1. Turn the Surface Off
    2. Insert this USB stick in the Surface
    3. Press Volume Down and Power
    4. The Recovery menu will start
    5. Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt
    6. Type: "restore.cmd" (this will whipe the whole disk, repartition it and install the Windows 8.1 image) (this will take a while)

## 1. Unlock Secure boot ##

1. Run Disable_UAC.reg
    2. Start > Regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\BCD00000000" > Select "BCD00000000" > Click on file and select "unload hive"
    3. Copy SecureBoot to Desktop > Open it > Run "InstallPolicy.cmd"
    4. Restart
    5. Start > cmd (as Adminstrator) > PostInstallPolicy.cmd
    6. Restart

## 2. Install Windows 10 ##
    If you don't have a message "Secure boot" in the bottom right corner then retry step 1

1. Turn the Surface Off
    2. Insert this USB stick in the Surface
    3. Press Volume Down and Power
    4. The Recovery menu will start
    5. Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt
    6. Type: "script.cmd" (this will whipe the whole disk, repartition it and install the Windows 10 image) (this will take a while)
    7. When restarting you will get an error popup: Press SHIFT+F10
    8. Type Regedit and go to KEY_Local machine/SYSTEM/Setup/Status/ChildCompletion > setup.exe > Modify the value to "3"
    9. Restart

### 2.1. How to activate Windows
    1. Powershell
    slmgr.vbs /upk
    slmgr /ipk NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43
    slmgr /skms kms.03k.org
    slmgr /ato
    slmgr /skms zhang.yt

### 2.2 Install runtime
    1. Copy APPX1 from Recovery USB to Desktop
    2. Desktop\APPX1\APPX1.ps1 > Right click > Run as Administrator
    3. Restart
    4. Desktop\APPX1\AppxBundle.ps1 > Right click > Run as Administrator
    5. Restart
    6. Install:
    Microsoft.windowsStore.appxbundle
    Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.1.appx
    Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.1.appx

## 3. After installation ##

### How to remove Expired version popup ###
    1. Go to C:\Windows\System32
    2. Right click on LogonUI.exe > Properties > Security > Advanced
    3. Ower > Change
    4. Enter your username > Check Names
    5. Close all dialog boxes
    6. Now rename the file to LogonUIbak.exe

### How to change the language to English (and remove chinese) ###
    Start > Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language
    Remove chinese and set English as Default

### How to install uBlock Origin on Edge ###
    1. Download this:
    2. Edge > about:flags
    3. Select: "Enable extensions developer features"
    4. Select the "..." > Extensions > Load Extension
    5. Select the folder with uBlock Origin (this should be on the Surface itself)

### How to install UWP applications ###
    1. Find your application here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/b/home

2. Copy the URL and copy it here:
    https://store.rg-adguard.net/7

3. You will need to find here the .appxbundle ARM and sometimes also the dependencies. Sometimes when you download the file it does not have the extension, so rename the file to .appx in the end.

4. Install first the dependencies then the application on the Surface RT

## 4. Pictures
    This is super amazing project! It brought life again to this amazing device!

Here's the things that I've noticed:
    #1 Skype app is not working. Doesn't accept any account I throw at it. Let me know if anyone had success with it.
    #2 Edge doesn't support Web Assembly. I've tried enabling the experimental JavaScript features, but it still doesn't work. Is there any other browser for ARM-32? I honestly could not find...

Thanks all and keep up the good work!

There are no other browsers but recently I have been working on compiling Firefox for arm32 but I did not have too much luck : ( I am still trying...
    Ok so I'm attempting to follow this tutorial and the other one for my original surface rt. Where is the wim for windows 10? Those instructions don't seem clear to me, or am I supposed to use the surface 2 image?
    i am stuck at run script.cmd from command prompt in recovery. It wont let me run the command. I have secureboot disabled
    AFTER YOU MAKE SURE YOU SEE THE SECUREBOOT DISABLED FLAG IN THE COMMAND PROMPT RECOVERY ON THE DEVICE (NOT THE USB RECOVERY), you can format the drive using all of theese commands. Otherwise, DO NOT DEPLOY THE W10 IMAGE BECAUSE YOUR SURFACE MIGHT NEVER BOOT :(
    What happens is that the USB flashdrive has different drive letters and are not the same. Also, I do not encourage people to use premade batch files to automate the process. You do not know exactly what can happen and by typing the commands yourself, you know what you type. So here are all of the commands to deploy the windows 10 system:

1. ###Formatting the C: Drive###
    Enter diskpart . . . . . #Enters diskpart
    lis dis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . #This shows all of the drives available
    sel dis 0 . . . . . . . . . . . .#This selects the Default harddrive
    lis par . . . . . . . . . . . . . .#This shows all of your partitions
    sel par 4 . . . . . . . . . . . #This selects the partition 4
    for quick fs = ntfs override . . . . . #This formats the drive
    exit . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . #Exits Diskpart

2. ###Installing Windows 10###
    dism /apply-image /imagefile:d:\install.wim /applydir:c: /index: 1
    _______________________/
    |
    |__Replace [D:] with your usb drive letter (d: f: etc...)

You can check the original detailed tutorial in chineese (Translated in English) on how to install Windows 10 ARM on the Surface RT's: https://sites.google.com/view/alexenferman/hacking/surface-rt
    Dumb question......I been reading the other post in regards to installing Windows 10 on the other surface 2..... Would I have to follow this tutorial or the one for the surface 2 if I have a surface 2 running rt? Also it says I need a keyboard..... Does it mean a USB keyboard or can I use my Microsoft soft keyboard?

Procedure for Surface RT and 2 is the same but the only difference is that the ".wim" file that you need to keep in your usb is different for rt and 2.

And yes, you can use your Microsoft soft keyboard