[Tutorial] Installing alternative Keyboards on the NT.

Search This thread

robertely

Aug 20, 2010
New York
Shout out to yaggermr, He was the one who found the keyboard debug screen, and XIndirect for being a generally "rad dude."
The following is written for Hacker keyboard, but should work with Swift, and others. Some keyboards require more than one file to be moved to more than once place. Swype is an example of this. There is more than enough information in the next few pages describing what you need for various keyboards.
This procedure requires Root.
I can not be held responsible for any damaged property or loss of data you incur while running this tutorial.

Enable keyboard Debug mode.
  1. Install an Alternate launcher and Root explorer
  2. Install anycut: http://goo.gl/isvc1
  3. Open Anycut, Create a New Shortcut.
  4. Pick "Activity"
  5. Pick "Android Keyboard Debug" (PROTIP: the list is larger than it looks, Scroll down!)
  6. While you are there, create another shortcut for "Accessibility", and "Debug settings."
  7. Return to your alternate launchers home screen and open "Android Keyboard Debug"
  8. Enable Debug mode, and click Back. (Side note, you can stop here if you only want to change themes.)

Install an alternate keyboard.
Hacker Keyboard: http://goo.gl/AvZ08
  1. Download your keyboard in APK form. DO NOT INSTALL IT WITH THE PACKAGE MANAGER OR MARKET
  2. Open Up root explorer and navigate to "/media/My Files/My Downloads"
  3. Copy "Hacker_s_Keyboard_v1.27.apk"
  4. Now Navigate to "/system/app" and Mount as R/W
  5. Paste "Hacker_s_Keyboard_v1.27.apk"(PROTIP: You may need to modify the files permissions, 777 will do here(that means on the permissions screen check all the boxes.))
  6. Close every thing, and return to your launchers home screen.
  7. Reboot your nook.

Enable The alternate keyboard.
  1. Run the Accessibility shortcut you created earlier.
  2. Under input method, select your new keyboard.
  3. Thats it!
Dialog.png
keyboard.png

Last edited:

dang69

Jan 16, 2007
Thanks! This is hopeful. It worked for me but the version of Swype I used FCed relentlessly. perhaps a different apk would work but I don't have any idea how to find one. I used the one that the swype installer downloaded for me when it thought it could just install.

If it ain't Swype I'm fine with stock so I didn't try any others. BTW, I've used Swype on a tablet and it's brilliant.

xdahgary

Aug 18, 2010
Thanks! This is hopeful. It worked for me but the version of Swype I used FCed relentlessly. perhaps a different apk would work but I don't have any idea how to find one. I used the one that the swype installer downloaded for me when it thought it could just install.

If it ain't Swype I'm fine with stock so I didn't try any others. BTW, I've used Swype on a tablet and it's brilliant.
Don't forget the libSwypeCore file. You need to drop that in the /system/lib folder.

rip32

Nov 23, 2011
When making the short cut under activity I don't have the option to pick "Android Keyboard Debug"? is there something else I need to enable first?

dang69

Jan 16, 2007
Don't forget the libSwypeCore file. You need to drop that in the /system/lib folder.

Darn! I'll bet that was it. I had everything else in place. Is that a file the apk creates when you install? I couldn't find it on my device. Now I'm back to where I'll have to let the installer try the normal method just to get the main program back so I can copy it into root. Is there anywhere I can get the library file?

Is there any chance the program will just install correctly now that I'm rooted?

xdahgary

Aug 18, 2010
Darn! I'll bet that was it. I had everything else in place. Is that a file the apk creates when you install? I couldn't find it on my device. Now I'm back to where I'll have to let the installer try the normal method just to get the main program back so I can copy it into root. Is there anywhere I can get the library file?

Is there any chance the program will just install correctly now that I'm rooted?
Yes, it creates when installed.
Doubt swype will install normally cuz nook tablet not an approved device.

Removed...

Last edited:
Reactions: robertely

dang69

Jan 16, 2007
Yes, it creates when installed.
Doubt swype will install normally cuz nook tablet not an approved device.

Here's my swype.apk. Drop it in the /system/apps folder.
Here's my libSwypeCore file. Drop it in the /system/lib folder.
If it doesn't work, just delete them.
Don't have my nook yet. :p

Oops. ".so" file not valid for uploading. Here's a zipped one.

I'm on it. Will report back. It'll be a while gotta prep for family visit.

Thx.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

I'm on it. Will report back. It'll be a while gotta prep for family visit.

Thx.

One more quick question. Should I do anything with permissions? I don't know jack about them but I'd be inclined to click all the boxes for user. I don't know what 644 means, never saw anything in root explorer like it but see it all the time in posts.

xdahgary

Aug 18, 2010
Sorry, I don't use root explorer. I use super manager's file manager and all it asks me is "R/W or Read-Only?"
I'm not a dev. just a nerd.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Shout out to yaggermr, He was the one who found the keyboard debug screen, and XIndirect for being a generally "rad dude."
    The following is written for Hacker keyboard, but should work with Swift, and others. Some keyboards require more than one file to be moved to more than once place. Swype is an example of this. There is more than enough information in the next few pages describing what you need for various keyboards.
    This procedure requires Root.
    I can not be held responsible for any damaged property or loss of data you incur while running this tutorial.

Enable keyboard Debug mode.
    1. Install an Alternate launcher and Root explorer
    2. Install anycut: http://goo.gl/isvc1
    3. Open Anycut, Create a New Shortcut.
    4. Pick "Activity"
    5. Pick "Android Keyboard Debug" (PROTIP: the list is larger than it looks, Scroll down!)
    6. While you are there, create another shortcut for "Accessibility", and "Debug settings."
    7. Return to your alternate launchers home screen and open "Android Keyboard Debug"
    8. Enable Debug mode, and click Back. (Side note, you can stop here if you only want to change themes.)

Install an alternate keyboard.
    Hacker Keyboard: http://goo.gl/AvZ08
    1. Download your keyboard in APK form. DO NOT INSTALL IT WITH THE PACKAGE MANAGER OR MARKET
    2. Open Up root explorer and navigate to "/media/My Files/My Downloads"
    3. Copy "Hacker_s_Keyboard_v1.27.apk"
    4. Now Navigate to "/system/app" and Mount as R/W
    5. Paste "Hacker_s_Keyboard_v1.27.apk"(PROTIP: You may need to modify the files permissions, 777 will do here(that means on the permissions screen check all the boxes.))
    6. Close every thing, and return to your launchers home screen.
    7. Reboot your nook.

Enable The alternate keyboard.
    1. Run the Accessibility shortcut you created earlier.
    2. Under input method, select your new keyboard.
    3. Thats it!
    Dialog.png
    keyboard.png
    Follow instructions to create shortcuts and enable keyboard debug.

This is where my method differed to op. Install swype from market or use a downloaded apk. It won't work yet.

Go into something like ES File explorer with root access activated and file system mounted with R/W access (bottom of ES explorer settings in latest version available from market). it's also a good idea to set root as / instead of /sdcard because it makes finding things easier.

In ES File Explorer navigate to /data/app and copy the keyboard apk (swype one) to /system/app. Once you've done that copy it again from data/app to a safe place such as your sdcard. Change properties of system copy to all ticks then reboot.

Once rebooted select the keyboard with any cut shortcut to accessibility settings (it may say something about you having no accessibility installed, you can install something form market here if you wish but you don't actually need to). Keyboard will keep crashing which is OK it's nothing to worry about, it's just a bit annoying for a moment.

Once again in Es File Explorer navigate to the safe place you stored a copy of the swype apk (not the original one in /data/app or the duplicated /system/app one) then click to install it from the apk. It will inform you that it's going to overwrite existing copy, click OK. Crashes will stop.

Finally delete the copy from system/app

All should work now. I've got Go keyboard, swype and a couple of others installed this way and all work ;)

Good luck!
    After some struggling, I did manage to get both SwiftKey and SwypeBeta onto my rooted NookTablet.

Follow instructions at your own risk.

After enabling keyboard debug mode, here is what worked for me:

Swype:
    1. Signed up for the Swype Beta on their website.
    2. Downloaded the installer from the email and installed the Swype app.
    3. Went into data/apps
    -- Copied com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk to a separate folder (I chose my Dropbox)
    4. Went into /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod.apk/lib/
    -- Copied libSwypeCore.*.co to a separate folder (again, I chose Dropbox)
    5. Uninstall Swype
    6. Moved the apk from my dropbox to system/app
    7. Changed apk permissions to "777" as noted in the OP
    8. Moved the lib file from my dropbox to system/lib
    9. Exit out
    10. Reboot
    The keyboard should be available in accessibility (You might have to go into system/app and actually install the apk using package installer, reboot, etc)

SwiftKey
    I purchased SwiftKeyX from the Android Market a couple days ago for 10 cents. Sent the apk from my phone to my Dropbox.

1. Install SwiftKeyX.apk
    2. Go to data/app
    3. Move com.touchtype.swiftkey-1.apk to system/app
    4. Change apk permissions to "777"
    5. Exit out
    6. Reboot
    7. Install Swiftkey via package installation from system/app
    Keyboard should now be available in accessibility (Originally, I moved the swiftkeyx.apk to system/app and that didn't work. You need to move the "com.touchtype.swiftkey-1.apk" that installs after installation)

This is what worked for me. I have both keyboards and the "default" keyboard (Indirect's replacement) available to choose from in my Accessibility menu.

Hopefully this is helpful to others.
    Yes, that's the same as my system/app folder. I think it might have installed a com.beansoft.keyboardplus-1.apk file into data/app folder after I installed com...keyboardplus-2.apk from system/app folder. I have both com.beansoft...-1.apk and com.beansoft...-2.apk in data/app folder now.

So summarized: Just install from Android market, it's marked as Nov 8, 2011, version 4.3.4. Copy com.beansoft.......apk file from data/app over to /system/app. The permission didn't need changing. Press on the file to get the option to install. Then install it (might need reboot to see it as an option in "accessibility").

Edit: for me, this install doesn't seem to survive a reboot. After rebooting, it FC all over again. I go check the files and com.beansoft.keyboardplus-1.apk is gone from data/app.

After multiple trial and error, i manage to have ThumbKeyboard survive multiple reboot here is how.

1) Follow the direction thatdude90210 have listed to install the apk to to system/app. Reboot, make sure everything works.
    2) Copy the thumbskeyboard.apk in system/app to a safe location in the sdcard or emmc location, let say /sdcard/temp
    3) Reboot.
    4) At this point you should get continuous FC, that is ok this is expected.
    5) Use Root explore or other file explore program to go to /sdcard/temp folder and install the thumbskeyboard.apk again. Let it install over the existing keyboard.
    6) The FC should stop, and you should still have ThumbsKeyboard enabled as the default keyboard. Test that the new installation is ok, everything works, etc.
    7) Go into system/app folder and delete the Thumbskeyboard.apk.
    8) Reboot.
    9) Now you shouldn't have any more FC upon reboot, and Thumbskeyboard still works.

If that works for you, don't forget to hit Thanks
    Not having any luck installing the hacker keyboard. Copied the apk to thr system/app folder, rebooted, bit still no luck seeing it in the accessibilty menu. Still only showing andoid keyboard. Halp?

Also, debug mode is enabled.

Did you check the status of permissions? I long clicked the apk after copying it to system/apps and clicker the "user" boxes across the top.