[TUTORIAL][P920/P925][ICS v30A/v30C] A Noob's Guide to XBSA v8/vR3D ROMs with AC!D

Search This thread

drastic00

Dec 31, 2012
Houston
April 24: XBSA vR3D is here! Steps specific to VR3D will be in PURPLE. Let me know if there are issues. You need to be on ICS and rooted with custom recovery for XBSA ROMs. His rooted v28B files give you that.

This guide is for Windows 7 (It is almost the same for Windows xp, except in how you choose the omap4 driver).
New! Here are some tips for installing unsigned drivers on Windows 8 (Thanks sda.171!):
I just wanted to add something for fellow Windows 8 users following your guide. By default, windows 8 does not allow driver which are not signed to be installed. You wont even be prompted to force install it. It will deny the installation without your knowledge (this happened to me and I had no clue). In addition to installing every app as administrator. You have to disable driver signature verification on your windows 8 computer.
To do that.
Go to PC settings > General > Under Advanced startup , click restart now > at the boot up screen click 'troubleshoot' > advanced options > startup settings > restart > then press the corresponding number to temporarily disable driver verification (it was 7 for me).

Then do all the driver installing as stated in the awesome guide. If you restart after the disabling the verification is enabled again. It works for only one boot and has to be done again if required (in case you restart after disabling). The verification has to be disabled for successful installations of the drivers u install or else it wont work for you on windows 8.

Most of this information is from:
here...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1963847http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1963847
XBSALL's thread- Check it out!!
Definitely read page 1, and 160+!
Marcosuper7 has helpful images and a video on using LG Flash Tool on page 1.
(DO IT...READ and LEARN from others. Save yourself trouble in the future...),

and here...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1244490
The original guide to setting up LG Flash Tool, from Marti701 with translation by adixtra. THANKS to THEM!

Thank you also to kideskimo for his guide to ported ics on LG Thrill...
I might still be fiddling with GB if it were not for finding that in December 2012.
...but this is written for noobs like me!

Thanks to all who are listed here and and anyone else who helped me learn all this!
Thanks especially to xbsall for all the hard work he puts into these ROMs!!!

This guide was MUCH longer until the official ICS v28b for Optimus was released. The official update eliminates a bunch of 'fix it' steps that were previously necessary to keep 3D functionality and other issues; it makes things generally easier to do. So, hit the THANKS button for xbsall here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1963847

***OBLIGATORY WARNING: Though worth it, and totally awesome, flashing ROMs to your phone WILL ERASE EVERYTHING. Remove your Micro SD card! Backup your internal SD memory! Save a copy of everything in your internal phone storage that you want to keep! If you make a mistake and 'brick' your phone, it is fixable in almost all situations. BUT, even if you flashed a corrupt file, YOU DID THAT.***

You will need to download 5 files for this process:
NOTE: some of these zips contain system files. Windows Defender and other antivirus programs will prevent some of these from extracting correctly or may cause file corruption.
1) "LGFLASHTool Pack": From here: http://d-h.st/WL2 from me (Called "BagofGoodies").

2) LGP920_110622.dll: Get it here: http://d-h.st/FcP from me

3) Choose one ROM (Do not mirror these links):
XBSA vR3D with Ac!d Audio Engine and Nuance Voice Control:
(DO NOT extract this file): XBSAVR3D.zip:
from here--> https://mega.co.nz/#!Pg5RFTiI!F8dTrFwlNA3JOsngdYY2aAOsjLFtXgEInlndikFtA40
or here--> https://mega.co.nz/#!Cow0xYxJ!OzcVaGvPwAr5TNF2ogsCeTRXQYQ804z05TT_Ns-kqtI
or here--> http://www.putlocker.com/file/1B0B002872D69099 from xbsall

**OR**

XBSA v8 with Ac!d Audio Engine:
(DO NOT extract this file): xbsav8.zip--> http://d-h.st/J9o from xbsall

4) Choose one official LG v28b ICS file (.bin and .fls files included) with root and custom recovery (Do not mirror these links):
For XBSA vR3D get this file:
LARGE partition, rooted official LG ICS v28b with preinstalled TWRP:
28brtlarge.rar--> http://d-h.st/dxl from xbsall

**OR**

For XBSA v8, get this file:
Rooted official LG ICS v28b with preinstalled TWRP (NORMAL partition size):
XBSAV28BROOT.zip--> http://d-h.st/Kxn from xbsall
NOTE: You may also install XBSA v8 using the LARGE partition v28B rooted .bin file included in the ABOVE link BUT you CANNOT install XBSA vR3D using the normal partition v28B .bin file included in THIS link.

5) Also get this folder:
You will ONLY need the driver in there for step f.4.4.
omap4boot-for_optimus-v1.21.7z--> http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1536163&d=1354636466. from wkpark.

EXTRAS (Do not mirror these links):

LGE email app for XBSA vR3D:
After installing the vR3D ROM get this .zip file and copy the contents to system/app on your phone using a File Explorer (then reboot):
sdcard.zip http://d-h.st/zTO. from xbsall

More languages for XBSA vR3D:
After installing the vR3D ROM get this .zip file and install it with TWRP after installing the vR3D ROM:
MULTILENGUAJE VR3D.zip http://d-h.st/wQV. from MarcoSuper7

XBSA Rebooter Tool, Odexed Apps, Wallpaper, and more XBSA vR3D stuff:
Visit xbsall's thread, page 1:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1963847.

Unpack all zips EXCEPT the zipped XBSA ROM file you chose to a folder on your hard drive.
NOTE: some of these zips contain system files. Windows Defender and other antivirus programs will prevent some of these from extracting correctly or may cause file corruption. Temporarily disable these when extracting any files or you may not be able to find some things you will need!

What else do I need?
***Sync Cable**

A SYNC (not charge) cable is essential. One noob problem early on that I had was not knowing the difference (my phone was second hand and came with no chargers or cables). I could not figure out why the device would not connect. Unless the connector on your phone is physically broken, it is likely the cable is not a sync cable. Not all micro USB cables are the same! Some will only trickle charge your phone and not data connect to PC. If you paid $2 for a cable like me, it probably is not a sync cable. If you have connected to pc before to copy music or other stuff, that is the cable you will need...

**Charge your phone battery!**
You MUST have a well charged battery. Some of the install processes will use a sizable chunk of battery power to implement (~10%). If the battery runs out during any of the install processes, your phone may be rendered unusable!

Now that you have read all of the above and are prepared,
we can begin:

1) Set up drivers so the phone can be detected in LG Flash Tool:
A) Uninstall any LG Drivers on your PC:
a1) Open Programs and Features through Control Panel

a2)Find any drivers called "LG United Mobile Driver." Right click and select Uninstall, let it work.

a3) Reboot your pc!​
B) Be sure you disabled antivirus/Windows Defender, etc. before unpacking these files.

C) Install OMAP4430 by running "OMAPFlashInstaller."
NOTE: if you have WKPark's custom bootloaders installed on your phone you may need to SKIP running the OMAP installer, or uninstall it if you did run it (if you don't know, you probably don't have it...), but DO link the driver as in f4.

D) Install the two LG Drivers in the “LG United Mobile Drivers” folder: These are “LGUnitedMobileDriver_S497CA20_WHQL_ML_Ver_1.0” and “LGUnitedMobileDriver_S497MA20_WHQL_ML_Ver_1.0” The second one will warn it is unsigned, choose to install anyway (you will have to insist on this a few times here).

E) Reboot your pc!

F) Install PC/phone drivers:
f1) Shut down your phone. Remove external sd card, SIM card and battery.
NOTE: Please be advised that this section (Part 1 here) can be VERY fiddly to do, especially part f6. You may need to do this several times to get it right. Please be patient and keep trying. It is highly recommended to have the volume up on your PC, so that you can hear the drivers installing. Once f6 is done properly you will hear the installation sounds and it will become clear (finally) when everything is correct.
f2) Open Device Manager from Control Panel

f3) Hold volume up on phone and connect to USB port. Keep holding volume up.

f4)Look for "OMAP4430" blinking on and off in Device Manager with a yellow question mark under "Other Devices." (You can let go of the phone). If you do not see it, look for "TI Boards" blinking in device manager and quickly open the arrow. Then uninstall that OMAP4430 (right click, check box to uninstall device and driver, confirm), disconnect phone and reconnect with volume up. Then...
f.4.1) You will need to 'catch' OMAP4430 (with yellow question mark) by right-clicking on it when it appears under "Other Devices." Choose "Update Driver Software."

f.4.2) Pick "Browse my computer for driver software." Then "Let me pick..."

f.4.3) Leave "All..." selected under Devices. Then "Have Disk."

f.4.4) Navigate to the omap4boot-for_optimus-v1.21 folder and choose "omap_winusb" in the usb_drv_windows folder.

f.4.5) Windows will warn the driver is unsigned. Install anyway. An OMAP4430 device should appear under the list of devices. Confirm the selection. Let the driver install.​
f5) Disconnect the phone from the PC. Again reconnect it to PC while holding volume up.

f6) You should see a popup at the bottom of your screen about drivers installing (the LG USB drivers). (If you do NOT see drivers installing, disconnect phone again, reboot your pc, and again connect it without battery while holding volume up). When you do see drivers installing, let go of the volume button. Click the popup on your PC screen to see the install progress. Let it finish. Leave the phone connected to PC.

f7) Look for “LGE CDMA USB SERIAL PORT” in Device Manager. Right click on it and go to Properties

f8) Select the "Port Settings" tab and click 'Advanced'.

f9) Change 'COM Port Number:' to COM41. Click OK, then OK again.

f10) Disconnect your phone from the PC. Your phone and PC are now ready for the flash procedure. TIP: Leave your PC set up this way, and the next time you need to flash, Step 1 will be already complete!
2) Flashing rooted ICS v28b:
A) Install LG Flash Tool by running "Setup_LGFlashTool_1.1." Let install but uncheck the ‘open LG Flash Tool’ box (don’t run it yet). The package comes with version 1.2, but 1.1 is what I used.

B) Copy the file ”LGFlashTool” from the “FILE.ZIP” folder over the file of the same name into the ” LG Flash Tool 1.1” folder. This will unlock the program.

C) Right click on "LGFlashTool," found in the same folder you just copied into and choose "Run as administrator."

D) Check the box that says "Select Manual Mode."

E) Click the "..." button to the right of the "DLL" field, then choose "LGP920_110622.dll" file you downloaded. This file helps Windows to write the correct information to the phone.

F) To the right of the "S/W" field, choose "Add" and navigate to/select "28bROOT_AP.bin." If you are installing XBSA vR3D, instead choose "28bRTbig_AP.bin" This is the official ICS file, but with root access and TWRP recovery.

G) Be sure the button for "USB" is selected. Click OK.

H) Choose the port settings icon that looks like a serial cable.
h1) Check Port 1.

h2) It should select the first 3 check boxes when you do this; "16 Ports," "Port 1 ~ Port 16," and "1" should be checked.

h3) Click OK.​
I) Click the yellow arrow (start). You should see "Ready!" at the top left.

J) Insert the battery into the phone. While holding the volume up button on the phone, connect it to the pc with the sync cable. The phone should start flashing (i.e. LG Flash Tool will start writing the file). NOTE: if Flash Tool will not connect, try holding volume up, connecting the USB/sync cable, and THEN connecting battery (while holding volume up). Don't touch it until the process is complete. Once Flash Tool resets the device, it is OK to disconnect the phone after 10 seconds or so (let it complete to 100% if you are not sure). FYI: If you continue to leave the phone connected, Flash Tool will eventually say 'failed,' but that's OK.

K) The phone will NOT boot up completely. There may be a message about unsuccessful encryption, OR the phone may stick at the LG logo. Long press power (several seconds) to shut off the phone. Hold Volume Down. Continue holding Volume Down, then also press and hold Power (for about 3 seconds). You should get a black screen with white text about factory resetting. Press power twice to confirm. Let it reset and boot up.

L) Set up the phone (i.e. follow the prompts to start the phone for the first time). If you are installing XBSA vR3D, at this time you MUST go into Android Settings/Storage and ERASE INTERNAL MEMORY. This prepares the internal memory for the large partition size required for vR3D compatibility. Now power the phone down again.

M) Next we will flash the baseband (.fls) file (NOTE: you can also also do this part later, after installing the ROM in step 6). Redo steps 2C through 2J. But replace "28bROOT_AP.bin" with "28bROOT_CP.fls" in LG Flash Tool. If you are installing XBSA vR3D, instead choose "P925_CP.fls" The process of flashing a baseband will NOT complete to 100% in LG Flash Tool (It will say 'failed' after about 40% progress). That’s OK. I got to 155 seconds and it worked.

N) If you have connection problems in your country after setting up your APN (Step 7), you may need to get another baseband from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1974734. Download the file you need and repeat steps 2B through 2J with your preferred file.​
3) Shut down your phone, reinsert your SIM and external (micro) SD, and reboot it. Let it scan the sd card/media, etc. for a few minutes until it is ready.

4) Optional: You can now use an app from Google Play with root access, like Titanium Backup, to backup all the stock apps. This is convenient if you want to recover any of these after installing the XBSA ROM.

5) Optional but Recommended: Use TWRP to make a 'nandroid' backup. You do want to save all the work you have done so far, right? Restart your phone in recovery mode through the P940 Recovery app that is now on your phone. Allow Superuser to proceed if necessary. Your phone will boot into TWRP. Select "Backup" in TWRP. Choose a name and location for the backup, hit enter on the keypad, then swipe the slider to start. Let it backup and then reboot system. You can use this backup later if you want to revert to rooted stock v28b ICS. Just return to TWRP, wipe Cache, Dalvik, do a Factory Reset, then choose Restore and then the backup you made. Swipe to confirm, your phone will be restored to this point.

6) Installing XBSA v8 or vR3D: Doing this step will update your firmware to v30A (v30C for XBSA vR3D) and install the ROM.
A) Now that you have TWRP as the result of all the previous steps, this will be a relatively simple process, but (as in all steps here) you MUST do them in the correct order and NOT skip anything!

B) First, transfer the file "xbsav8.ZIP" (or "XBSAVR3D.ZIP" if you are installing XBSA vR3D) to your phone's sd card. One way to do this is to connect USB as mass storage. I prefer to use the external sd card for zip files. Do not extract the file, leave it in compressed (zip) format.

C) Get to TWRP by pressing Volume Down when the touch keys on your phone blink during bootup
OR
Find the P940 Recovery app on your phone (it was installed with xbsall's rooted v28b). Start it and choose Reboot to Recovery/Yip...

D) First be sure you have the ROM .zip file copied to your phone. Then, you MUST perform these wipes or you will have problems later! Do not reboot your phone after doing the system wipe without installing the ROM or the phone will not boot!!
d1) Select "TWRP Wipes."

d2) Select to wipe "Cache," then swipe the slider to confirm the wipe.

d3) Select to wipe "Dalvik" cache, then swipe the slider to confirm the wipe.

d4) Then select "Factory Reset" and swipe to confirm.

d5) Wipe "System" and swipe to confirm.​
E) NOW, install the XBSA ROM:
e1) Go back a screen in TWRP (tap the up-pointing arrow icon) and tap "Install"

e2) Navigate to the .zip of the ROM you chose to install (v8 or vR3D) and tap it.

e3) Be sure the correct file is selected (read the information), and when you are ready, swipe to confirm the installation.

e4) When it is finished, tap "Reboot," then "System."

e5) If you did the required wipes, there should be a warning that no system is present. That's OK, it will be installed upon reboot. Confirm the reboot (swipe), let android update, go through the Android first time setup menus, then LET IT SETTLE a bit so all files install properly (5-10 minutes).

e6) Finally, reboot again, and let the phone settle again.​
7) Set up the APN (Access Point Name) for your network. Now you are basically ready to use the phone without having to do any more major installations, so you can set yourself up to make calls and data connections according to your provider's APN information (in System Settings, More.., Access Point Names, New). You will need to Google this information. Just remember to tap the menu button and hit save after entering the information required by your provider (I use Straight Talk in the U.S. for my AT&T LG P925).

8) Optional but Recommended: Use TWRP to make another backup after you set up your phone as you like.

That’s it! You now have the best available ROM for the Optimus/Thrill because it keeps the 3D functionality and has AWESOME AC!D Audio!!!! And now Nuance gives vR3D some really cool voice control options ripe for modding! You DID buy a P925 or P920 because it has 3D capability, right? Right??? Now go show it off!

Guide updated 4-30-13, added Windows 8 tips.
Guide updated 4-24-13, added vR3D specific links and notes.
Guide updated 4-2-13, formating.
Guide updated 4-2-13, updated steps for XBSA v8.
Guide updated 4-1-13, added "Run as Administrator" to step 2C and made some formatting changes and other minor corrections/clarifications.
Guide updated 3-30-13, minor corrections and clarifications.
Guide updated 3-20-13, added line about alternate method to start flash, step 2J.
Guide updated 3-19-13, corrected reset instructions, Step 2K. Added Fastboot note to OMAP4430 instructions.
Guide updated 3-18-13, added (and later corrected) OMAP4430 steps.

Pleez
hit that there Thanks if I helped.
. :highfive:

Last edited:

jocazmaj

Jan 23, 2013
Nis
Re: [TUTORIAL] A Noob's Guide to XBSA ICS 3D ROM v7 with AC!D

Drastic00 this is exactly how a noob tut should look and you did it perfectly.:thumbup:

This will help a lot of people and I'm glad somebody took the time to do this.

Sent from my LG-P920 using xda app-developers app

alek01

Mar 16, 2013
A) Uninstall any LG Drivers:
a2) Find any drivers called "LG United Mobile Driver." Right click and select Uninstall, let it work.
a3) Reboot your pc!​
B) Install the two LG Drivers in the “LG United Mobile Drivers” folder: These are “LGUnitedMobileDriver_S497CA20_WHQL_ML_Ver_1.0” and “LGUnitedMobileDriver_S497MA20_WHQL_ML_Ver_1.0” The second one will warn it is unsigned, choose to install anyway (you will have to insist on this a few times here).
C) Reboot your pc!
D) Install PC/phone drivers:
d1) Shut down your phone. Remove external sd card, SIM card and battery.
d2) Open Device Manager from Control Panel
d3) Hold volume up on phone and connect to USB port. Keep holding volume up.
d4) You should see a popup about bottom of your screen about drivers installing. When you do, let go of the volume button. Click the popup to see the progress. Let it finish.
d5) Look for “LGE CDMA USB SERIAL PORT” in Device Manager. Right click on it and go to Properties
d6) Disconnect your phone from the PC.

Congratulations drastic00 for the time and effort you spent writhing this guide, I really appreciate it. However, are you sure that the 1st step of your guide is correct? If I just install the two “LG United Mobile Drivers”, restart the PC and connect the phone with vol up, there is no driver installed. The device manager shows the OMAP but without driver for that.

Shouldn't we also install the OMAPFlashInstaller (from the LG Flash Tool Package) in order to install the driver (automatically or manually)?

I'm trying two days now different guides to flash .bin roms with no success. I followed the guide which is sticky and I am stuck on the Driver Installation.

The steps 1 to 8 complete normally (installation of the LGFlashTool, OMAPFlashInstaller and the two LGUnitedMobileDriver files).

When I press "vol up button" and connect the USB cable, the computer detects the new hardware (Omap4430) and it is installed automatically (on WinXP) and finally I get the message that the new hardware is ready to use (like this screenshot of the guide).

However, the Device Manager keeps refreshing (and you hear the special sound of detecting/undetecting the new hardware), and there is NO new COM port like in the guide's screenshot, so I cannot locate the LGE CDMA Serial Port and change it to 41 and of course I cannot continue further the guide. :(

drastic00

Dec 31, 2012
Houston

Congratulations drastic00 for the time and effort you spent writhing this guide, I really appreciate it. However, are you sure that the 1st step of your guide is correct? If I just install the two “LG United Mobile Drivers”, restart the PC and connect the phone with vol up, there is no driver installed. The device manager shows the OMAP but without driver for that.

Shouldn't we also install the OMAPFlashInstaller (from the LG Flash Tool Package) in order to install the driver (automatically or manually)?

I'm trying two days now different guides to flash .bin roms with no success. I followed the guide which is sticky and I am stuck on the Driver Installation.

The steps 1 to 8 complete normally (installation of the LGFlashTool, OMAPFlashInstaller and the two LGUnitedMobileDriver files).

When I press "vol up button" and connect the USB cable, the computer detects the new hardware (Omap4430) and it is installed automatically (on WinXP) and finally I get the message that the new hardware is ready to use (like this screenshot of the guide).

However, the Device Manager keeps refreshing (and you hear the special sound of detecting/undetecting the new hardware), and there is NO new COM port like in the guide's screenshot, so I cannot locate the LGE CDMA Serial Port and change it to 41 and of course I cannot continue further the guide. :(

EDIT: I added the OMAP4 steps. Since I was flashing from SU760 based ICS (and again from another v28B based version) I did not need to have it installed. If someone could tell me WHY, I would LOVE to have this information.

Sent from my radical P925/920 with XBSA ICS 3D ROM v7

Last edited:

schubeir

Apr 30, 2011
Mumbai
This guide is for Windows 7 (should be the same for Windows xp) but I have NO idea about Windows 8...

6) Installing XBSA v7.
A) Now that you have TWRP as the result of all the previous steps, this will be a relatively simple process, but (as in all steps here) you MUST do them in the correct order and NOT skip anything!
B) First, transfer the file "xbsav52" (a zip file) to your phone's sd card. One way to do this is to connect USB as mass storage. I prefer to use the external sd card for zip files. Do not extract the file, leave it in compressed (zip) format.

That’s it! You now have the best available ROM for the Optimus/Thrill because it keeps the 3D functionality and has AWESOME AC!D Audio!!!! You DID buy a P925 or P920 because it has 3D capability, right? Right??? Now go show it off!

PLEASE EDIT!! ( or is it correct?)

Already thanked you in your OP. great job!!!

schubeir​

Last edited:
Reactions: drastic00

Guantonio

Jul 23, 2011
London
Are you not missing the bit about changing the com port to 41?

d5) Look for “LGE CDMA USB SERIAL PORT” in Device Manager. Right click on it and go to Properties
d6) Select the "Port Settings" tab and click 'Advanced'.
d7) Change 'COM Port Number:' to COM41. Click OK, then OK again.
d8) Disconnect your phone from the PC.

Good job, should help save a lot of repeat questions.

PS. I find it quicker getting to the device manager by pressing both the 'Windows logo' key and the 'Pause Break' keys at the same time. Then just select device manager from the top left.

Last edited:

drastic00

Dec 31, 2012
Houston
Are you not missing the bit about changing the com port to 41?

d6) Select the "Port Settings" tab and click 'Advanced'.
d7) Change 'COM Port Number:' to COM41. Click OK, then OK again.
d8) Disconnect your phone from the PC.

Good job, should help save a lot of repeat questions.

PS. I find it quicker getting to the device manager by pressing both the 'Windows logo' key and the 'Pause Break' keys at the same time. Then just select device manager from the top left.

Thank you for helping. I'd meant to put that. Then my hard drive got corrupt in the middle of writing! Now I need to replace it. It was 2 am when I posted and knew I'd left things out. It's the DETAILS I want to have here. Post edited.
That is a shortcut to Device Manager I had not tried, thanks.

Reactions: bolec13

drastic00

Dec 31, 2012
Houston

OK I re-added in OMAP4430 steps. I was not sure if they were needed...I was already re-flashing from v28B when I tried this and did not need the omap driver installed. Probably they are needed if you have not flashed before, I'm not sure.Thanks, I want to try to keep the DETAILS correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: cismasclaudiu

alek01

Mar 16, 2013
OK I re-added in OMAP4430 steps. I was not sure if they were needed...I was already re-flashing from v28B when I tried this and did not need the omap driver installed. Probably they are needed if you have not flashed before, I'm not sure.Thanks, I want to try to keep the DETAILS correct.
The OMAP4430 drivers are surely needed in my case at least. Before I started with your guide I uninstalled all LG and OMAP drivers. Rebooted and installed the two LG drives posted on your guide. Rebooted again, connected the phone on download mode (Vol up and USB) and the OMAP4430 device with a question-mark appeared on the Device Manager.

In order to install the drivers for the OMAP device, you obviously need to get them from an OMAP installation or folder. They aren't available when we just installing the two LG drivers, I think. ;)

I am also trying to reflash from the v28b, however I flashed the .kdz before not the .bin, so I didn't need the OMAP drivers before. Also I went from GB straight to ICS v28b without having first the Korean ICS.

Last edited:

drastic00

Dec 31, 2012
Houston

The OMAP4430 drivers are surely needed in my case at least. Before I started with your guide I uninstalled all LG and OMAP drivers. Rebooted and installed the two LG drives posted on your guide. Rebooted again, connected the phone on download mode (Vol up and USB) and the OMAP4430 device with a question-mark appeared on the Device Manager.

In order to install the drivers for the OMAP device, you obviously need to get them from an OMAP installation or folder. They aren't available when we just installing the two LG drivers, I think. ;)

I am also trying to reflash from the v28b, however I flashed the .kdz before not the .bin, so I didn't need the OMAP drivers before. Also I went from GB straight to ICS v28b without having first the Korean ICS.

OK now it is becoming clear to me at last. Let me know if the added info works. Thanks!!!

alek01

Mar 16, 2013
OK now it is becoming clear to me at last. Let me know if the added info works. Thanks!!!
You are welcome :)

I wish I could help myself too with that OMAP installation nightmare but I'm still stuck. The OMAP driver indicates that it was installed properly (both in WinXP and Win7) but the Device Manager is still refreshing constantly, making the plug-in sound, and there are no new COM LG Ports created. I tried it already in 3 computers and it's the same in all 3. :(

drastic00

Dec 31, 2012
Houston

You are welcome :)

I wish I could help myself too with that OMAP installation nightmare but I'm still stuck. The OMAP driver indicates that it was installed properly (both in WinXP and Win7) but the Device Manager is still refreshing constantly, making the plug-in sound, and there are no new COM LG Ports created. I tried it already in 3 computers and it's the same in all 3. :(

You are helping me get the details correct. I remember doing all this and it WAS a nightmare... =-0 This guide is for me too, so I can remember all the little bits.

Edit: Deleted incorrect information.

Last edited:
Reactions: alek01

croke

Nov 13, 2009
Singapore
Download Failed

Hello,

I keep on getting Download Failed message its not even on 1% tried so many times, I also tried using the 1.2 Version of the flash tool still got the same issue. anyone can help me here? :(

Attachments

• fail.jpg
    fail.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 418

drastic00

Dec 31, 2012
Houston
Guide Updated

Hello,

I keep on getting Download Failed message its not even on 1% tried so many times, I also tried using the 1.2 Version of the flash tool still got the same issue. anyone can help me here? :(

Insert battery. Connect while holding volume up when LG Flashtool says "READY!" (After doing revised section 1F.)

Guide Updated.
Sorry guys. See new changes at the top on another file you will need to download and check section 1F. I just confirmed this is working, sorry for any confusion.

Let me know if it works so I can fix problems! Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dambo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    April 24: XBSA vR3D is here! Steps specific to VR3D will be in PURPLE. Let me know if there are issues. You need to be on ICS and rooted with custom recovery for XBSA ROMs. His rooted v28B files give you that.

This guide is for Windows 7 (It is almost the same for Windows xp, except in how you choose the omap4 driver).
    New! Here are some tips for installing unsigned drivers on Windows 8 (Thanks sda.171!):
    I just wanted to add something for fellow Windows 8 users following your guide. By default, windows 8 does not allow driver which are not signed to be installed. You wont even be prompted to force install it. It will deny the installation without your knowledge (this happened to me and I had no clue). In addition to installing every app as administrator. You have to disable driver signature verification on your windows 8 computer.
    To do that.
    Go to PC settings > General > Under Advanced startup , click restart now > at the boot up screen click 'troubleshoot' > advanced options > startup settings > restart > then press the corresponding number to temporarily disable driver verification (it was 7 for me).

Then do all the driver installing as stated in the awesome guide. If you restart after the disabling the verification is enabled again. It works for only one boot and has to be done again if required (in case you restart after disabling). The verification has to be disabled for successful installations of the drivers u install or else it wont work for you on windows 8.

Most of this information is from:
    here...
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1963847http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1963847
    XBSALL's thread- Check it out!!
    Definitely read page 1, and 160+!
    Marcosuper7 has helpful images and a video on using LG Flash Tool on page 1.
    (DO IT...READ and LEARN from others. Save yourself trouble in the future...),

and here...
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1244490
    The original guide to setting up LG Flash Tool, from Marti701 with translation by adixtra. THANKS to THEM!

Thank you also to kideskimo for his guide to ported ics on LG Thrill...
    I might still be fiddling with GB if it were not for finding that in December 2012.
    ...but this is written for noobs like me!

Thanks to all who are listed here and and anyone else who helped me learn all this!
    Thanks especially to xbsall for all the hard work he puts into these ROMs!!!

This guide was MUCH longer until the official ICS v28b for Optimus was released. The official update eliminates a bunch of 'fix it' steps that were previously necessary to keep 3D functionality and other issues; it makes things generally easier to do. So, hit the THANKS button for xbsall here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1963847

***OBLIGATORY WARNING: Though worth it, and totally awesome, flashing ROMs to your phone WILL ERASE EVERYTHING. Remove your Micro SD card! Backup your internal SD memory! Save a copy of everything in your internal phone storage that you want to keep! If you make a mistake and 'brick' your phone, it is fixable in almost all situations. BUT, even if you flashed a corrupt file, YOU DID THAT.***

You will need to download 5 files for this process:
    NOTE: some of these zips contain system files. Windows Defender and other antivirus programs will prevent some of these from extracting correctly or may cause file corruption.
    1) "LGFLASHTool Pack": From here: http://d-h.st/WL2 from me (Called "BagofGoodies").

2) LGP920_110622.dll: Get it here: http://d-h.st/FcP from me

3) Choose one ROM (Do not mirror these links):
    XBSA vR3D with Ac!d Audio Engine and Nuance Voice Control:
    (DO NOT extract this file): XBSAVR3D.zip:
    from here--> https://mega.co.nz/#!Pg5RFTiI!F8dTrFwlNA3JOsngdYY2aAOsjLFtXgEInlndikFtA40
    or here--> https://mega.co.nz/#!Cow0xYxJ!OzcVaGvPwAr5TNF2ogsCeTRXQYQ804z05TT_Ns-kqtI
    or here--> http://www.putlocker.com/file/1B0B002872D69099 from xbsall

**OR**

XBSA v8 with Ac!d Audio Engine:
    (DO NOT extract this file): xbsav8.zip--> http://d-h.st/J9o from xbsall

4) Choose one official LG v28b ICS file (.bin and .fls files included) with root and custom recovery (Do not mirror these links):
    For XBSA vR3D get this file:
    LARGE partition, rooted official LG ICS v28b with preinstalled TWRP:
    28brtlarge.rar--> http://d-h.st/dxl from xbsall

**OR**

For XBSA v8, get this file:
    Rooted official LG ICS v28b with preinstalled TWRP (NORMAL partition size):
    XBSAV28BROOT.zip--> http://d-h.st/Kxn from xbsall
    NOTE: You may also install XBSA v8 using the LARGE partition v28B rooted .bin file included in the ABOVE link BUT you CANNOT install XBSA vR3D using the normal partition v28B .bin file included in THIS link.

5) Also get this folder:
    You will ONLY need the driver in there for step f.4.4.
    omap4boot-for_optimus-v1.21.7z--> http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1536163&d=1354636466. from wkpark.

EXTRAS (Do not mirror these links):

LGE email app for XBSA vR3D:
    After installing the vR3D ROM get this .zip file and copy the contents to system/app on your phone using a File Explorer (then reboot):
    sdcard.zip http://d-h.st/zTO. from xbsall

More languages for XBSA vR3D:
    After installing the vR3D ROM get this .zip file and install it with TWRP after installing the vR3D ROM:
    MULTILENGUAJE VR3D.zip http://d-h.st/wQV. from MarcoSuper7

XBSA Rebooter Tool, Odexed Apps, Wallpaper, and more XBSA vR3D stuff:
    Visit xbsall's thread, page 1:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1963847.

Unpack all zips EXCEPT the zipped XBSA ROM file you chose to a folder on your hard drive.
    NOTE: some of these zips contain system files. Windows Defender and other antivirus programs will prevent some of these from extracting correctly or may cause file corruption. Temporarily disable these when extracting any files or you may not be able to find some things you will need!

What else do I need?
    ***Sync Cable**

A SYNC (not charge) cable is essential. One noob problem early on that I had was not knowing the difference (my phone was second hand and came with no chargers or cables). I could not figure out why the device would not connect. Unless the connector on your phone is physically broken, it is likely the cable is not a sync cable. Not all micro USB cables are the same! Some will only trickle charge your phone and not data connect to PC. If you paid $2 for a cable like me, it probably is not a sync cable. If you have connected to pc before to copy music or other stuff, that is the cable you will need...

**Charge your phone battery!**
    You MUST have a well charged battery. Some of the install processes will use a sizable chunk of battery power to implement (~10%). If the battery runs out during any of the install processes, your phone may be rendered unusable!

Now that you have read all of the above and are prepared,
    we can begin:

A) Uninstall any LG Drivers on your PC:

a2)Find any drivers called "LG United Mobile Driver." Right click and select Uninstall, let it work.

a3) Reboot your pc!​
    B) Be sure you disabled antivirus/Windows Defender, etc. before unpacking these files.

C) Install OMAP4430 by running "OMAPFlashInstaller."
    NOTE: if you have WKPark's custom bootloaders installed on your phone you may need to SKIP running the OMAP installer, or uninstall it if you did run it (if you don't know, you probably don't have it...), but DO link the driver as in f4.

D) Install the two LG Drivers in the “LG United Mobile Drivers” folder: These are “LGUnitedMobileDriver_S497CA20_WHQL_ML_Ver_1.0” and “LGUnitedMobileDriver_S497MA20_WHQL_ML_Ver_1.0” The second one will warn it is unsigned, choose to install anyway (you will have to insist on this a few times here).

E) Reboot your pc!

F) Install PC/phone drivers:
    f1) Shut down your phone. Remove external sd card, SIM card and battery.
    NOTE: Please be advised that this section (Part 1 here) can be VERY fiddly to do, especially part f6. You may need to do this several times to get it right. Please be patient and keep trying. It is highly recommended to have the volume up on your PC, so that you can hear the drivers installing. Once f6 is done properly you will hear the installation sounds and it will become clear (finally) when everything is correct.
    f2) Open Device Manager from Control Panel

f3) Hold volume up on phone and connect to USB port. Keep holding volume up.

f4)Look for "OMAP4430" blinking on and off in Device Manager with a yellow question mark under "Other Devices." (You can let go of the phone). If you do not see it, look for "TI Boards" blinking in device manager and quickly open the arrow. Then uninstall that OMAP4430 (right click, check box to uninstall device and driver, confirm), disconnect phone and reconnect with volume up. Then...
    f.4.1) You will need to 'catch' OMAP4430 (with yellow question mark) by right-clicking on it when it appears under "Other Devices." Choose "Update Driver Software."

f.4.2) Pick "Browse my computer for driver software." Then "Let me pick..."

f.4.3) Leave "All..." selected under Devices. Then "Have Disk."

f.4.4) Navigate to the omap4boot-for_optimus-v1.21 folder and choose "omap_winusb" in the usb_drv_windows folder.

f.4.5) Windows will warn the driver is unsigned. Install anyway. An OMAP4430 device should appear under the list of devices. Confirm the selection. Let the driver install.​
    f5) Disconnect the phone from the PC. Again reconnect it to PC while holding volume up.

f6) You should see a popup at the bottom of your screen about drivers installing (the LG USB drivers). (If you do NOT see drivers installing, disconnect phone again, reboot your pc, and again connect it without battery while holding volume up). When you do see drivers installing, let go of the volume button. Click the popup on your PC screen to see the install progress. Let it finish. Leave the phone connected to PC.

f7) Look for “LGE CDMA USB SERIAL PORT” in Device Manager. Right click on it and go to Properties

f8) Select the "Port Settings" tab and click 'Advanced'.

f9) Change 'COM Port Number:' to COM41. Click OK, then OK again.

f10) Disconnect your phone from the PC. Your phone and PC are now ready for the flash procedure. TIP: Leave your PC set up this way, and the next time you need to flash, Step 1 will be already complete!
    2) Flashing rooted ICS v28b:
    A) Install LG Flash Tool by running "Setup_LGFlashTool_1.1." Let install but uncheck the ‘open LG Flash Tool’ box (don’t run it yet). The package comes with version 1.2, but 1.1 is what I used.

B) Copy the file ”LGFlashTool” from the “FILE.ZIP” folder over the file of the same name into the ” LG Flash Tool 1.1” folder. This will unlock the program.

C) Right click on "LGFlashTool," found in the same folder you just copied into and choose "Run as administrator."

D) Check the box that says "Select Manual Mode."

E) Click the "..." button to the right of the "DLL" field, then choose "LGP920_110622.dll" file you downloaded. This file helps Windows to write the correct information to the phone.

F) To the right of the "S/W" field, choose "Add" and navigate to/select "28bROOT_AP.bin." If you are installing XBSA vR3D, instead choose "28bRTbig_AP.bin" This is the official ICS file, but with root access and TWRP recovery.

G) Be sure the button for "USB" is selected. Click OK.

H) Choose the port settings icon that looks like a serial cable.
    h1) Check Port 1.

h2) It should select the first 3 check boxes when you do this; "16 Ports," "Port 1 ~ Port 16," and "1" should be checked.

h3) Click OK.​
    I) Click the yellow arrow (start). You should see "Ready!" at the top left.

J) Insert the battery into the phone. While holding the volume up button on the phone, connect it to the pc with the sync cable. The phone should start flashing (i.e. LG Flash Tool will start writing the file). NOTE: if Flash Tool will not connect, try holding volume up, connecting the USB/sync cable, and THEN connecting battery (while holding volume up). Don't touch it until the process is complete. Once Flash Tool resets the device, it is OK to disconnect the phone after 10 seconds or so (let it complete to 100% if you are not sure). FYI: If you continue to leave the phone connected, Flash Tool will eventually say 'failed,' but that's OK.

K) The phone will NOT boot up completely. There may be a message about unsuccessful encryption, OR the phone may stick at the LG logo. Long press power (several seconds) to shut off the phone. Hold Volume Down. Continue holding Volume Down, then also press and hold Power (for about 3 seconds). You should get a black screen with white text about factory resetting. Press power twice to confirm. Let it reset and boot up.

L) Set up the phone (i.e. follow the prompts to start the phone for the first time). If you are installing XBSA vR3D, at this time you MUST go into Android Settings/Storage and ERASE INTERNAL MEMORY. This prepares the internal memory for the large partition size required for vR3D compatibility. Now power the phone down again.

M) Next we will flash the baseband (.fls) file (NOTE: you can also also do this part later, after installing the ROM in step 6). Redo steps 2C through 2J. But replace "28bROOT_AP.bin" with "28bROOT_CP.fls" in LG Flash Tool. If you are installing XBSA vR3D, instead choose "P925_CP.fls" The process of flashing a baseband will NOT complete to 100% in LG Flash Tool (It will say 'failed' after about 40% progress). That’s OK. I got to 155 seconds and it worked.

N) If you have connection problems in your country after setting up your APN (Step 7), you may need to get another baseband from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1974734. Download the file you need and repeat steps 2B through 2J with your preferred file.​
    3) Shut down your phone, reinsert your SIM and external (micro) SD, and reboot it. Let it scan the sd card/media, etc. for a few minutes until it is ready.

4) Optional: You can now use an app from Google Play with root access, like Titanium Backup, to backup all the stock apps. This is convenient if you want to recover any of these after installing the XBSA ROM.

5) Optional but Recommended: Use TWRP to make a 'nandroid' backup. You do want to save all the work you have done so far, right? Restart your phone in recovery mode through the P940 Recovery app that is now on your phone. Allow Superuser to proceed if necessary. Your phone will boot into TWRP. Select "Backup" in TWRP. Choose a name and location for the backup, hit enter on the keypad, then swipe the slider to start. Let it backup and then reboot system. You can use this backup later if you want to revert to rooted stock v28b ICS. Just return to TWRP, wipe Cache, Dalvik, do a Factory Reset, then choose Restore and then the backup you made. Swipe to confirm, your phone will be restored to this point.

6) Installing XBSA v8 or vR3D: Doing this step will update your firmware to v30A (v30C for XBSA vR3D) and install the ROM.

B) First, transfer the file "xbsav8.ZIP" (or "XBSAVR3D.ZIP" if you are installing XBSA vR3D) to your phone's sd card. One way to do this is to connect USB as mass storage. I prefer to use the external sd card for zip files. Do not extract the file, leave it in compressed (zip) format.

C) Get to TWRP by pressing Volume Down when the touch keys on your phone blink during bootup
    OR
    Find the P940 Recovery app on your phone (it was installed with xbsall's rooted v28b). Start it and choose Reboot to Recovery/Yip...

D) First be sure you have the ROM .zip file copied to your phone. Then, you MUST perform these wipes or you will have problems later! Do not reboot your phone after doing the system wipe without installing the ROM or the phone will not boot!!
    d1) Select "TWRP Wipes."

d2) Select to wipe "Cache," then swipe the slider to confirm the wipe.

d3) Select to wipe "Dalvik" cache, then swipe the slider to confirm the wipe.

d4) Then select "Factory Reset" and swipe to confirm.

d5) Wipe "System" and swipe to confirm.​
    E) NOW, install the XBSA ROM:
    e1) Go back a screen in TWRP (tap the up-pointing arrow icon) and tap "Install"

e2) Navigate to the .zip of the ROM you chose to install (v8 or vR3D) and tap it.

e3) Be sure the correct file is selected (read the information), and when you are ready, swipe to confirm the installation.

e4) When it is finished, tap "Reboot," then "System."

e5) If you did the required wipes, there should be a warning that no system is present. That's OK, it will be installed upon reboot. Confirm the reboot (swipe), let android update, go through the Android first time setup menus, then LET IT SETTLE a bit so all files install properly (5-10 minutes).

e6) Finally, reboot again, and let the phone settle again.​
    7) Set up the APN (Access Point Name) for your network. Now you are basically ready to use the phone without having to do any more major installations, so you can set yourself up to make calls and data connections according to your provider's APN information (in System Settings, More.., Access Point Names, New). You will need to Google this information. Just remember to tap the menu button and hit save after entering the information required by your provider (I use Straight Talk in the U.S. for my AT&T LG P925).

8) Optional but Recommended: Use TWRP to make another backup after you set up your phone as you like.

That’s it! You now have the best available ROM for the Optimus/Thrill because it keeps the 3D functionality and has AWESOME AC!D Audio!!!! And now Nuance gives vR3D some really cool voice control options ripe for modding! You DID buy a P925 or P920 because it has 3D capability, right? Right??? Now go show it off!

Guide updated 4-30-13, added Windows 8 tips.
    Guide updated 4-24-13, added vR3D specific links and notes.
    Guide updated 4-2-13, formating.
    Guide updated 4-2-13, updated steps for XBSA v8.
    Guide updated 4-1-13, added "Run as Administrator" to step 2C and made some formatting changes and other minor corrections/clarifications.
    Guide updated 3-30-13, minor corrections and clarifications.
    Guide updated 3-20-13, added line about alternate method to start flash, step 2J.
    Guide updated 3-19-13, corrected reset instructions, Step 2K. Added Fastboot note to OMAP4430 instructions.
    Guide updated 3-18-13, added (and later corrected) OMAP4430 steps.

Pleez
    hit that there Thanks if I helped.
    . :highfive:
    That's a nice guide man!
    Thanks!

Added a link for your guide in my thread. :thumbup:

Send from my XBSA ICS V7.2 P920.

EDIT: I added the OMAP4 steps. Since I was flashing from SU760 based ICS (and again from another v28B based version) I did not need to have it installed. If someone could tell me WHY, I would LOVE to have this information.

Drastic00 this is exactly how a noob tut should look and you did it perfectly.:thumbup:

This will help a lot of people and I'm glad somebody took the time to do this.

Sent from my LG-P920 using xda app-developers app