[TUTORIAL] Recovering your Nook Simple Touch Glow

Search This thread

troelsfr

Jul 25, 2011
Disclaimer
Before even consider reading this, know that I cannot be held responsible if following these steps will: brick your device, make your girl friend break up with you, start third world war or do any other kind of damage.

Motivation
This tutorial is intended to help people who did not make a full backup of their device and applied the Alpha-FormatTouch-2.zip to their device and as a result lost the GlowLight feature. It took me a couple of days to figure out how to revert to factory settings, and thus, I hope that I can save others time.

Preliminary
You need
  • Nook Simple Touch Glowlight, semibricked
  • SD Card
  • SD card reader

Downloads
Download the following files:
  • factory.zip - downloads[dot]nanophysics[dot]dk/nstg/factory[dot]zip (if you have a copy of your own factory.zip -- found on the partition /factory/ -- use that instead)
  • [ClockworkMod - downloads[dot]nanophysics[dot]dk/nstg/sd_128mb_clockwork-rc2[dot]zip

Install Clockworkmod on SD card
On Mac OS X, plug in the SD card and find the device using
Code:
$ diskutil list
I will assume that your device is /dev/disk1. Unmount the disk
Code:
sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1
and write the ClockworkMod to it
Code:
sudo dd if=128mb_clockwork-rc2.img of=/dev/disk1
Copy the factory.zip to the disk and eject it.

On Windows you can use Win32Imager.

Install factory image
Power off your Nook and insert the SD card. Then power it up. After a while the CWM menu will appear (if you get a white screen press right-down). Select "install zip from sdcard" using the right side navigation to go up and down and u to enter. If you enter the wrong menu you can go back on right up. Now select "choose zip from sdcard" and choose factory.zip. Finally, click the option saying "yes - install factory.zip"

After a few minutes the installation is complete and if everything went ok, you should now be back to the original factory software.

Reset user settings (optional)
If you want your Nook to be completely reset, you can optionally do a reset of your settings. Power off you Nook. Power it up again and hold left and right down simultaneously for around 30 s. Answer yes twice. After a while your Nook has been reset.

Backup
Finally, it is time to do what you should have done in the first place (and probably also the reason why you are following this tutorial): Make a full backup of your Nooks internal SD card. See blog[dot]the-ebook-reader[dot]com/2012/05/02/how-to-backup-and-restore-nook-glow-and-nook-simple-touch for more information.

Last edited:

shank21101985

Dec 19, 2010
Thanks for the tutorial. However i just had a few queries.

1. My NSTG is rooted and functioning normally. Only glowlight does not work. Does your tutorial apply to such a device too.

2. How can i take backups of my current /rom and /factory partitions so that i can restore them in case of any eventuality.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

jjinkou2

Nov 9, 2012
i just erase every thing . now my nook is completely messed up.
I can't find your factory.zip would you mind resend it please ?

troelsfr

Jul 25, 2011
Thanks for the tutorial. However i just had a few queries.

1. My NSTG is rooted and functioning normally. Only glowlight does not work. Does your tutorial apply to such a device too.

2. How can i take backups of my current /rom and /factory partitions so that i can restore them in case of any eventuality.

Thanks a bunch in advance.
If your NSTG is rooted, this may remove rooting - at least I think, I did not try. However, you can always reroot.

Regarding backup, I would make a full image backup before starting. If you have a Windows box, follow the instruction on blog[dot]the-ebook-reader[dot]com/2012/05/02/how-to-backup-and-restore-nook-glow-and-nook-simple-touch and make a full backup of your system.

I have only done backup of individual partitions on Linux: Boot the device with noogie.img and plug it in. On Ubuntu,t 6-8 partitions should immediately appear.

Last edited:

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
Are you able to register a device reimaged using this factory.zip to your BN account?

If not, it's a bit of a pain for folks.

I have a disk image made via

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/part1.img bs=1M

This contains teh whole of a US NSTG's first partition; restoring it using

dd if=part1.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 bs=1M

allows me to boot my device, and the glow still works.

This seems to be more likely to restore the glow function yet preserve the ability to register with BN - the factory.zip method is not generic, as far as I know, it will restore some other person's NST serial number, mac address and other identifiers to your device, won't it?

If someone will PM me, I'll send a zipped copy of my .img file to them and let them try using it to recover glow function and their own registration in a nook glow. If that works, it can be posted more widely.

troelsfr

Jul 25, 2011
This seems to be more likely to restore the glow function yet preserve the ability to register with BN - the factory.zip method is not generic, as far as I know, it will restore some other person's NST serial number, mac address and other identifiers to your device, won't it?

If someone will PM me, I'll send a zipped copy of my .img file to them and let them try using it to recover glow function and their own registration in a nook glow. If that works, it can be posted more widely.

Remark that I recommend that people use their own factory.zip image. Nevertheless, all these data you mention are stored on the rom partition. To my awareness this partition is only overwritten if one applies rombackup.zip, but not by factory.zip. Thus, your B&N shop should be fully functional afterwards. I did apply someone elses factory.zip first, and I had no problems registering my device. However, if anyone would experience such an issue, please drop a line in this thread.

In any case, you should always do a full system image before following tutorials like this one, or for that matter, before apply someone elses partition images to your own device.

troelsfr

Jul 25, 2011
Are you able to register a device reimaged using this factory.zip to your BN account?

If not, it's a bit of a pain for folks.

I have a disk image made via

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/part1.img bs=1M

This contains teh whole of a US NSTG's first partition; restoring it using

dd if=part1.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 bs=1M

allows me to boot my device, and the glow still works.
Judging from your other post (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1836188&page=4), the partition you have made a copy of, is the boot partition? If glow was already working, it will still work after overwriting the boot image.

However, if it was not working already, it is very unlikely that installing a new boot image will resolve the issue described here, since it is a consequence having downgraded the OS.

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
I had not understood that the device you're targeting with this thread is an NSTG running 100% noo simple touch software - the thread refers to a problem with the alpha touch formatter, but I had not realized that was the outcome of the tool.

I've seen a few people describe their NSTGs as "fine, but not glowing any more" and had not seen those folks explain that they were running NST software on the NSTG.

For those folks, I had thought copying in the boot environment and kernel would be helpful. My understanding was that the kernel in the NSTG at software 1.1.5 was different than the NST kernel; I was thinking that getting the kernel and other boot hooks ready was what was really missing.

Fortunately, there's now a 1.2.0 updater out, and I suspect that soon there will be a CWM installable 1.2.0 update which will be super helpful. (Though folks will still need a partition table - I think that would be another use of writing in a viable first partition followed by a restart, to get the partition table straightened out before proceeding.)

Last edited:

troelsfr

Jul 25, 2011
I had not understood that the device you're targeting with this thread is an NSTG running 100% noo simple touch software - the thread refers to a problem with the alpha touch formatter, but I had not realized that was the outcome of the tool.

I've seen a few people describe their NSTGs as "fine, but not glowing any more" and had not seen those folks explain that they were running NST software on the NSTG.

For those folks, I had thought copying in the boot environment and kernel would be helpful. My understanding was that the kernel in the NSTG at software 1.1.5 was different than the NST kernel; I was thinking that getting the kernel and other boot hooks ready was what was really missing.

Fortunately, there's now a 1.2.0 updater out, and I suspect that soon there will be a CWM installable 1.2.0 update which will be super helpful. (Though folks will still need a partition table - I think that would be another use of writing in a viable first partition followed by a restart, to get the partition table straightened out before proceeding.)
Ok. No this thread is not intended for people who have destroyed partition tables etc., but only for people who have downgraded their software by using NST recovering guides on their NSTG device. I found it relevant to explain how this is done, since many people complain that their NSTG works, except that glow light no longer works. If they look into the software version they find something below 1.1.5, like 1.1 which was my case. I could not find a guide which explained me what to do after screwing up the software, hence this guide.

Partition tables and "accidently formatting" is a completely other issue. In the end, here the main problem is that people do not make a backup as they assume that everything is going to be fine. I assumed that myself. However, at some point I will have a look at the rom partition, because I think it is quite limited amount of information you find their. It should be possible to restore your Nooks serial number -- it is written on the package of the Nook -- after applying another Nooks image. I just received my second Nook so I am going to try this at some point.

john2k10

Dec 19, 2015
factory.zip

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has a copy of the factory.zip from a glowlight I'd really appreciate it. I've installed a non-glowlight one for now, but would really love my backlight back!

Cheers!

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has a copy of the factory.zip from a glowlight I'd really appreciate it. I've installed a non-glowlight one for now, but would really love my backlight back!

Cheers!

So did you actually replace the factory.zip with one for the NST or did you just run a restore from, say, NookManager? I'm not too sure about this, but I think it's kind of difficult to wipe the factory.zip. Anyway, since I'm not familiar with the NTG, and you seem to have done something that others have also done before, have a look at this old thread and see if it gets you anywhere:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1936458

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer
    Before even consider reading this, know that I cannot be held responsible if following these steps will: brick your device, make your girl friend break up with you, start third world war or do any other kind of damage.

Motivation
    This tutorial is intended to help people who did not make a full backup of their device and applied the Alpha-FormatTouch-2.zip to their device and as a result lost the GlowLight feature. It took me a couple of days to figure out how to revert to factory settings, and thus, I hope that I can save others time.

Preliminary
    You need
    • Nook Simple Touch Glowlight, semibricked
    • SD Card
    • SD card reader

Downloads
    Download the following files:
    • factory.zip - downloads[dot]nanophysics[dot]dk/nstg/factory[dot]zip (if you have a copy of your own factory.zip -- found on the partition /factory/ -- use that instead)
    • [ClockworkMod - downloads[dot]nanophysics[dot]dk/nstg/sd_128mb_clockwork-rc2[dot]zip

Install Clockworkmod on SD card
    On Mac OS X, plug in the SD card and find the device using
    Code:
    $ diskutil list
    I will assume that your device is /dev/disk1. Unmount the disk
    Code:
    sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1
    and write the ClockworkMod to it
    Code:
    sudo dd if=128mb_clockwork-rc2.img of=/dev/disk1
    Copy the factory.zip to the disk and eject it.

On Windows you can use Win32Imager.

Install factory image
    Power off your Nook and insert the SD card. Then power it up. After a while the CWM menu will appear (if you get a white screen press right-down). Select "install zip from sdcard" using the right side navigation to go up and down and u to enter. If you enter the wrong menu you can go back on right up. Now select "choose zip from sdcard" and choose factory.zip. Finally, click the option saying "yes - install factory.zip"

After a few minutes the installation is complete and if everything went ok, you should now be back to the original factory software.

Reset user settings (optional)
    If you want your Nook to be completely reset, you can optionally do a reset of your settings. Power off you Nook. Power it up again and hold left and right down simultaneously for around 30 s. Answer yes twice. After a while your Nook has been reset.

Backup
    Finally, it is time to do what you should have done in the first place (and probably also the reason why you are following this tutorial): Make a full backup of your Nooks internal SD card. See blog[dot]the-ebook-reader[dot]com/2012/05/02/how-to-backup-and-restore-nook-glow-and-nook-simple-touch for more information.