[Tutorial][Resource][Root][ICS/JB]Unlock-Recovery-SuperSU for Evo 4G LTE

Search This thread

userfriendlyme

I have a question with a problem I'm having after rooting. I did all the steps unlocked the boot loader, installed recovery and even flashed a ROM. Everything works fine until I reboot the phone. It will not boot up regardless of which ROM I install without me manually fastboot boot "boot.IMG" . Suggestions on how I could fix this would be appreciated.

Sloth

Recognized Contributor / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
I have a question with a problem I'm having after rooting. I did all the steps unlocked the boot loader, installed recovery and even flashed a ROM. Everything works fine until I reboot the phone. It will not boot up regardless of which ROM I install without me manually fastboot boot "boot.IMG" . Suggestions on how I could fix this would be appreciated.

If you are s-on you will need to flash the kernel separately as you mentioned but most roms have a kernel installer for s-on people and it sometimes takes a little longer to boot

Sent from my MB855 using xda app-developers app

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
I'll have to reboot to be sure but im pretty sure it is S-off. When I flash a ROM and the proper gapps it doesn't boot up past the HTC screen. After that it stays black and I have to reboot back into fastboot and boot the boot.IMG to get it started.

If your flashing a sense rom no gapps are required

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
No its not a sense ROM. And gapps were required. Everything works fine til I reboot the phone and it won't boot up without me fast booting boot.IMG. I've tried two different ROMs both cm10 based.

Sorry I only use sense try asking in the rom thread maybe they can be more helpful :D
And again if you're s-on you will have to fastboot the kernel
There is also an app called flash image guide in the play store you could try that then you won't have to fastboot every time

Last edited:

lord dredd

Apr 4, 2011
Picking up a EVO LTE tomorrow and will need something to do tomorrow night. Look forward to giving this a try fresh off. Would you recommending checking if the JB update is available and updating to it than using this guide?

Jb update is being dine as of now all over.
So as soon as you get the phone, just have a look in the forums if there is any major bug and if all s well update.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Picking up a EVO LTE tomorrow and will need something to do tomorrow night. Look forward to giving this a try fresh off. Would you recommending checking if the JB update is available and updating to it than using this guide?

Yes I would recommend going to JB before using this because if you use it and then take the OTA to JB you would just have to start over again.
This SHOULD work on JB but no promises if you use it while on the new JB update and it works please report back :D

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
I'm pulling SOME of the links until I can get them revised.

Update: Uploading now :D

1 more to upload but will have to wait until I get home from work :p

Last edited:

GoldenGlove

Jan 31, 2008
Ok, I need a little help on the order of updating to JB and rooting my phone.

I just went the S-OFF process. I am on STOCK, S-OFF DirtyRacun, HBOOT 1.19. What is the best order for getting the JB update and gaining root access? I'm confused about updating via the OTA and then rooting, or rooting/installing TWRP and then flashing the OTA JB ROM. I just want to stay stock and gain root on the latest OTA.

Can someone clear this up for me? If I take the OTA will it update the HBOOT and mess with the S-OFF?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sup XDA :D
    This is my first(and hopefully many to come) contribution to the community.
    The reason I put this together is I have been seeing a lot of posts in Q&A about "How do I root my Evo 4G LTE?" I have also seen posts in "other threads" asking "How do I get recovery and root back after using the latest S-OFF exploit?"

This is an updated and slightly modified version of Zedomax's root method.This is not my work I just did the legwork updating it.

I updated the TWRP Recovery to the latest version 2.3.1.0 and updated the SuperSU.apk to a more up to date version. I also added the factory divers.

This will work on all ICS/JB builds. Software versions (1.13.651.1 - 1.22.651.3 - 2.13.651.1 - 3.15.651.16 - 3.16.651.3 - 3.17.651.4 -3.17.651.5 - 4.13.651.3)

<------If this helped you buy me a coffee :p

If you used the latest S-OFF exploit you can still use this as far as I remember your bootloader will already be unlocked so just flash the recovery and SuperSU.apk.

Using this method will NOT give you S-OFF it will help you unlock your bootloader(HTC-DEV) flash a custom recovery(TWRP) and install the Superuser app of your choice.

What's included:
    Read Me Text (instructions,ADB commands, and whatnot)
    <----- Updated 03/24/13
    Mac User Text (helpful tips for Mac Users) <---- Added 01/05/13
    ADB Tool
    Drivers(both 64 bit and 32 bit)
    ADB Drivers for HTC Evo4G LTE Solution(see Post 2) <---- Added 03/05/13
    TWRP openrecovery v2.5.0.0

Superuser v 3.2 is post 2 and now added to all folders if anyone is having problems with SuperSU updating binaries <---- Added 12/22/12
    SuperSU.apk v1.25

Changelog:

03/04/13 Added SuperSU v1.25 to Root Files and Post 2
    03/05/13 Added ADB Drivers for HTC Evo4G LTE Solution (see Post 2)
    03/13/13 Added TWRP v2.4.4.0 to All Files and Post 2
    03/24/13 Added HTC-Sync Drivers to Root Files and Older Twrp Versions Folder and Updated ReadMe.txt
    03/25/13 Added 32 and 64 bit driver zips to post 2
    03/27/13 Added the latest HTC Drivers v4.0.1.001 and HTC BMP USB Drivers v1.0.5375(32 and 64 bit versions)
    03/27/13 Removed HTC Sync Drivers it makes the files WAY to big if you need them see below
    04/09/13 Added TWRP v2.5.0.0 to All Files and Post 2
    04/22/13 Added a cmd shortcut to make it easier run all the commands
    05/21/13 Added SuperSU v1.30 to Root Files
    06/08/13 Added SuperSU v1.32 to Root Files
    07/09/13 Added TWRP 2.6.0.0 and SuperSU v1.41 to Root Files
    09/04/13 Added TWRP v2.6.1.0 to Root Files
    09/04/13 Added SuperSU to Root Files
    09/04/13 Added HTC Drivers v4.2.0.001 to Root Files
    02/28/14 Added SuperSU v 1.93
    02/28/14 Added TWRP v2.6.3.0-jewel-selinux (will work on any roms EXCEPT the new 4.13.651.3 roms see below for link to that recovery)
    02/28/14 Added a link for the recovery that needs to be used for 4.13.651.3 roms right below the Root Files link
    11/20/14 Updated SuperSU to 2.16
    11/20/14 Updated TWRP to 2.8.1.0
    11/20/14 Updated PhilZ Touch 6.15.6
    11/20/14 Added Captain_Throwbacks Unofficial TWRP builds.
    I would like to thank:
    Zedomax (for a great starting point)
    VeNuM (for his advice and feedback)
    Lord Dredd (for confirming this works with 2.13 base) It will work for all software versions.
    flex360 (for pointing out I forgot to add a .zip extension) :p
    Timberwolf671 (see below)
    jlampitt (for some helpful tips for Mac Users see post 2)
    qbking77 (for the video :D )
    Chainfire (for SuperSU)
    TeamWin (for TWRP)
    Captain_Throwback (for his Unofficial TWRP Builds)
    Phil3759 (for PhilZ Touch)
    dominicsdad (for ADB Drivers for HTC Evo4G LTE Solution) Post 2 Please Thank Him
    All of the XDA Community

Disclaimer:
    Code:
    * Standard disclaimer: 
    * Your warranty is now void.  Use at your own risk.
    * In other words: It is your choice to use these files.
    * I am not responsible for any damage or problems you may have!

I suggest extracting it to a folder on your desktop so you can find it and start by reading the Read Me Text.

Root Files Evo 4G LTE
    AFH

Mirror
    Recovery for 4.13.651.3 Roms Thanks @Captain_Throwback
    Latest RUU 3.17.651.4
    Guides:
    Frequently Asked Questions - HTC Evo 4G LTE
    Don't Panic -- Please Read First, includes troubleshooting guide
    FAQs - Massive Question Round Up Thread for Jewel

Qbking77 Videos:
    How to Root the HTC EVO 4G LTE - Latest Thanks Tim/Qbking77 :D

How to Relock the HTC EVO 4G LTE Bootloader

How to Unroot / Unbrick the HTC EVO 4G LTE

Anyone having problems with drivers you may need to go HERE and download the HTC Sync drivers.
    Once installed it will need to update again. For some stupid reason they are not posting the updated software but require you to install the old version first then update. <--- (Thank Timberwolf671 for this)

I will update this thread as updates become available.
    First haha :p

If you are having troubles flashing TWRP see below :D

Some helpful tips for Mac Users below (Thanks jlampitt)

Older versions of TWRP HERE

Older versions of SuperSU and Superuser below <---- Updated 03/01/13

ADB Drivers for HTC Evo4G LTE Solution HERE <---- Added 03/05/13 (Thanks dominicsdad) <---- Thank Him :D

Driver troubles with Win 8 look here <---- Added 02/10/13
    Updated OP
    SuperSU v1.04 in Root Files only for now will do the others when I have some more time :D

SuperSU v1.04 can be found in the zip in post 2 if anyone is interested :D
    good stuff bro.. im already rooted and s-off but this will help alot of people out for sure! i dont kno how many times i see new users on here looking for a way to root there LTE.. thanks:good:

Same here! Now I have a place to link people to!
    What one should we download if we have the OTA JB HBOOT 2.09?
    http://d-h.st/djb
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone