[Tutorial][ROOT][4.3]Root your own stock 4.3 firmware

Search This thread

quetzalcoatl2435

Apr 16, 2012
Yogyakarta
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Since every "best way to root stock 4.3" guide for LB in this forum involves flashing a deodexed ROM from a region that might not be yours and taken from someone's phone that might be different from yours, I've decided to make this guide which will (I hope) help you make YOUR OWN pre-rooted flashable zip using YOUR OWN phone and an FTF for YOUR OWN region.

Just a mandatory precaution: I'm not responsible for whatever happens to you, your phone, your family, your house, your dog, your car, etc resulting from the use of this guide.

Here goes.

What's needed:
==========================
1. Your SONY Xperia SP running a rooted stock ROM. You might need to downgrade to 4.1.2 and root that.
2. A recovery. See: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2649923 (Note: I only use CWM. I have not tried Philz or TWRP.)
3. SONY PC Companion
4. Flashtool
5. su + busybox binaries
6. META-INF
7. SuperSU
8. Stock .266 kernel. You could make this yourself, but for the sake of simplicity, just use this one instead.
8b. Stock .201 kernel.
9. (Optional) be2_album for Bravia Engine fix.

The good part:
=====================
1. Follow this guide to download and make your own FTF file. This file will contain the stock firmware for your own phone and region.
2. Then follow this guide to extract the system folder, but stop at step 9.
3. Navigate to the "bin" folder inside the system folder you just extracted and delete anything that's <10 bytes in size. Those are symlinks which will be recreated automatically in the flashing process. (Ignore this step if there are no files smaller than 10 bytes. Anything larger than 100 bytes should NOT be deleted.)
4. Extract the META-INF.zip file you downloaded above and copy the META-INF Folder in the folder alongside the system folder.
5. You should now have 2 folders, META-INF and system.
6. Extract the su + busybox binaries and put them in system/xbin.
6b. (Optional) Extract be2_album and put it in /system/etc.
7. Zip the two folders (META-INF and system) using store only (no compression).
8. Congrats, you just made your own pre-rooted pure stock ROM. Copy this zip and SuperSU into your sd card and we're good to go.

How to flash:
================
This might sound familiar, because this part is the same as the other guides.
1. Boot into CWM.
2. Clear dalvik cache and wipe cache. (Optional: wipe data)
3. Flash the zip you just made.
4. Flash SuperSU.
5. Power off.
6. Flash kernel using flashtool.
7. Boot up your phone and enjoy (or not) using a ROOTED STOCK firmware that was meant for YOUR phone and not for someone else's phone in another country on the other side of the world.
8. (Optional) If you get a reboot when remounting (e.g. when using Foldermount), apply this fix.

As a side note: Memory management is kinda crappy on 4.3. Dropping dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit to 64m and dalvik.vm.heapsize to 96m helps somewhat, but YMMV. Please experiment on your own to find a limit that works best for you.

This guide will (in theory) work for ANY future official release as long as the partitions stay the same. I hope this will at least reduce the nagging the devs (especially DoomLord) gets for a root exploit for stock 4.3. :p

Last edited:

nasroed

Jan 6, 2014
Yogyakarta
Grrrreeeatt.. This what I looking for all this time..

Whereas just last night I'd stay up finding how the way to put my region stock fw flashed to my device with root via dsixda andro kitchen, but the update script f***ing my brain all day long..
5 times xperimental flashing, but nothing happen. All kind of error Stats 7, 6, 0, etc just appear..

deodexed rom is suck considering it's not came from my own region..
I will try soon..

=============================
Edit :
- in step 3, are u sure to delete <10 "bytes" file? Bcause nothing here below 10 bytes. Just 10 kb are there..

Sent from my C5302 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

mrjraider

Jul 1, 2012
Okay I followed the guide step by step. I have removed anything that was 7 bytes.. The others are min 156 bytes and 178 bytes the others are going to KB. So now I have to put the SU+Busybox into Xbin, make a .zip and flash it, flash Su and kernel?

See attachment for files smaler then 10 bytes

Attachments

• Backup.rar
    3.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

mrjraider

Jul 1, 2012
After few flashtattemps i get installtion aborted on touch CWM and TWRP cant even find the files.
Also I got some errors due to missing paths via the updater.script. Worth taking a look there.

quetzalcoatl2435

Apr 16, 2012
Yogyakarta
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Okay I followed the guide step by step. I have removed anything that was 7 bytes.. The others are min 156 bytes and 178 bytes the others are going to KB. So now I have to put the SU+Busybox into Xbin, make a .zip and flash it, flash Su and kernel?

Yes. The zip should contain 2 folders. META-INF and system. Can you give me a listing of what you zipped? This guide is exactly how I rooted my 4.3 and it works fine. Also, try using store only when zipping. Sometimes the recovery doesn't work with zips that are to aggressively compressed.

Sent from my C5302 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Honeytea

mrjraider

Jul 1, 2012
Followed the guide step by step and the problem I have is it wont flash. It says instalation aborted and there were some errors about paths?

I zipped the meta-inf and system folder.

Added to archive and seleted .zip and store.. After copying to SD and flashing I got instalation aborted.
I will try this later tho. I just need my phone in a few hours :p

mrjraider

Jul 1, 2012
edit:

I know the probem xD

It was a sort of my fault

zip file>firmware> meta-inf and System

There was an extra folder that did not needed to be there :)

Will try it later tho.

mrjraider

Jul 1, 2012
Alright back to testing.. Will flash my own zip when downgrading and rooting is done :)

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

It worked!!! Thank you!

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2682651

;)

LocaMobile

Jun 15, 2011
quick one question :) I'm on doomlord v5 and Ultimate PureXSP (.266). But got some reebots. When I change kernel to stock via flashtool my root will stay? (quite noob question :< ) :D

headache59

Feb 22, 2014
Awesome - a rather clean method of rooting - inserting a modified meta-inf and su/busybox into the system file and flash it.

quick one question :) I'm on doomlord v5 and Ultimate PureXSP (.266). But got some reebots. When I change kernel to stock via flashtool my root will stay? (quite noob question :< ) :D

I don't think so, as there are very few and 'minor' changes to the system file...
[not going to 4.3 as I didn't like the lag - still mulling about it]

Edit: A question
For the necessary process, one needs to downgrade in order to install CWM, say .254.
If I flash the new modified system+meta-inf, plus the original .266 (kernel only), I am still on hybrid 254+266 system, yes?
[after all there are other sin files not replaced: eg loader, fota, partition, etc]

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since every "best way to root stock 4.3" guide for LB in this forum involves flashing a deodexed ROM from a region that might not be yours and taken from someone's phone that might be different from yours, I've decided to make this guide which will (I hope) help you make YOUR OWN pre-rooted flashable zip using YOUR OWN phone and an FTF for YOUR OWN region.

Just a mandatory precaution: I'm not responsible for whatever happens to you, your phone, your family, your house, your dog, your car, etc resulting from the use of this guide.

Here goes.

What's needed:
    ==========================
    1. Your SONY Xperia SP running a rooted stock ROM. You might need to downgrade to 4.1.2 and root that.
    2. A recovery. See: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2649923 (Note: I only use CWM. I have not tried Philz or TWRP.)
    3. SONY PC Companion
    4. Flashtool
    5. su + busybox binaries
    6. META-INF
    7. SuperSU
    8. Stock .266 kernel. You could make this yourself, but for the sake of simplicity, just use this one instead.
    8b. Stock .201 kernel.
    9. (Optional) be2_album for Bravia Engine fix.

The good part:
    =====================
    1. Follow this guide to download and make your own FTF file. This file will contain the stock firmware for your own phone and region.
    2. Then follow this guide to extract the system folder, but stop at step 9.
    3. Navigate to the "bin" folder inside the system folder you just extracted and delete anything that's <10 bytes in size. Those are symlinks which will be recreated automatically in the flashing process. (Ignore this step if there are no files smaller than 10 bytes. Anything larger than 100 bytes should NOT be deleted.)
    4. Extract the META-INF.zip file you downloaded above and copy the META-INF Folder in the folder alongside the system folder.
    5. You should now have 2 folders, META-INF and system.
    6. Extract the su + busybox binaries and put them in system/xbin.
    6b. (Optional) Extract be2_album and put it in /system/etc.
    7. Zip the two folders (META-INF and system) using store only (no compression).
    8. Congrats, you just made your own pre-rooted pure stock ROM. Copy this zip and SuperSU into your sd card and we're good to go.

How to flash:
    ================
    This might sound familiar, because this part is the same as the other guides.
    1. Boot into CWM.
    2. Clear dalvik cache and wipe cache. (Optional: wipe data)
    3. Flash the zip you just made.
    4. Flash SuperSU.
    5. Power off.
    6. Flash kernel using flashtool.
    7. Boot up your phone and enjoy (or not) using a ROOTED STOCK firmware that was meant for YOUR phone and not for someone else's phone in another country on the other side of the world.
    8. (Optional) If you get a reboot when remounting (e.g. when using Foldermount), apply this fix.

As a side note: Memory management is kinda crappy on 4.3. Dropping dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit to 64m and dalvik.vm.heapsize to 96m helps somewhat, but YMMV. Please experiment on your own to find a limit that works best for you.

This guide will (in theory) work for ANY future official release as long as the partitions stay the same. I hope this will at least reduce the nagging the devs (especially DoomLord) gets for a root exploit for stock 4.3. :p
    Updated for 12.1.A.1.201 plus added a few fixes.

The main process is the same, but I've updated the recovery link to one that works with 4.3, in case you come from a rooted 4.3 ROM.

Yes. The zip should contain 2 folders. META-INF and system. Can you give me a listing of what you zipped? This guide is exactly how I rooted my 4.3 and it works fine. Also, try using store only when zipping. Sometimes the recovery doesn't work with zips that are to aggressively compressed.

hello...is this guide is applicable for locked boot loader also ?

This is especially applicable for locked bootloaders. :)

I tried this before with .201 and it worked. Did you try this in .205? Same steps except for BE?

Sent from my C5303 using xda premium

Yes, I did it with 205. Pretty much the same steps as the OP. A few notes:
    - I skipped the BE part
    - You don't really need a separate ftf to flash the kernel only. Instead, during step 6 (section "how to flash"), using the complete FTF that you built earlier, tick "SYSTEM" in the exclude list (since you obviously don't want to erase that partition after all the troubles you went through) but flash everything else (kernel, baseband, etc...). I also unselected "wipe data", since I wanted to keep existing data on my phone. I was migrating from 201.
    And it worked like a charm. I didn't have to reinstall anything, all my apps are still there with the saved data.

I've been running 205 for a bit less than a day, and for the time being, I have to say it looks pretty good. Finally happy with that phone.