[Tutorial] Root after November security update (A5 2017).

Search This thread

thangluong

Aug 30, 2015
Ho Chi Minh
Edit: You can follow the solution of @ashyx through the following link to fix the problem can not flash twrp or boot via Odin. I think it will work ;)
Link: https://xdaforums.com/samsung-a-ser...g-sm-a520f-2017-kernel-source-t3557622/page31

Hello everyone,
After I updated the latest firmware, I was unable to flash BOOT or TWRP via Odin. It just returned the result that ONLY OFFICIAL BINARIES ARE ALLOWED TO BE FLASHED (RECOVERY / BOOT). I think samsung locked the bootloader. Today, I have found a way to fix this problem because knox 0x1 but can not root is not pleasant at all!
I only tested on my A520F, not tested on any other device. I am not responsible for any errors on your device.
1. Go to http://updato.com and download 2 firmware updates with your CSC.
+ Latest firmware 7.0 (November security).
+ Latest firmware 6.0 (MM).
2. Backup your important data :)
3. Reboot to download mode.
4. Add AP, CP, CSC of firmware 7.0 (November security) to the corresponding slot in Odin.
5. Add BL file of lastest firmware 6.0 (MM) to BL slot in Odin.
6. Start and wait a moment.
7. Setup and after that, you can flash TWRP or BOOT via Odin without bootloader errors.
Enjoy!
Sorry for my english...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171207-023415.png
    Screenshot_20171207-023415.png
    155 KB · Views: 4,166
  • Screenshot_20171207-023403.png
    Screenshot_20171207-023403.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 4,164
Last edited:

thangluong

Aug 30, 2015
Ho Chi Minh
Hi ahyx, i searched google about not being able to flash twrp or boot after security update in November and know the information is that maybe samsung has locked the bootloader. So, I just tried replacing the BL file of the old firmware that I saved on my laptop and it worked. I do not notice that you have found the solution first. Sorry for it as an act of plagiarism. I will link to your topic as a good faith ;) (sorry for my english)

Reactions: ashyx

caiquess95

Dec 30, 2016
Salvador
Oh man, thank you very much !! helped me here too! I had my a5 17 with this 'softbrick' but thank God I was able to install twrp, and so doing root haha I just can not downgrade to the MM.

kobejor

Dec 8, 2017
this one are 100% work?

i need to download lates MM version and lates Nougat version? then i flash only BL of MM and CP,CSC and AP of nougat version? tia

caiquess95

Dec 30, 2016
Salvador
i need to download lates MM version and lates Nougat version? then i flash only BL of MM and CP,CSC and AP of nougat version? tia

Vou need to download the latest Nougat 7.0 firmware (A520FXXU2BQK4) and fw plus MarshMallow 6.0.1 (A520FXXU2AQG4).

I, as a Brazilian, downloaded the fw of Brazil.

And then in AP, CP and CSC you put the respective AP, CP and CSC files of the Nougat rom
and in BL the Marshmallow rom file.

It works, man!

At first I had some problems, the smart was out of system because before finishing the process I got some errors (old usb port, bad contact, etc.). Try to keep all the smart USB drivers on your PC, turn on the debug and also the OEM mode and restore your a5. Today I have been able to downgrade and I am using the stock rom 6.0.1

GenisonPedro

Jun 16, 2012
Vitória da Conquista
Vou need to download the latest Nougat 7.0 firmware (A520FXXU2BQK4) and fw plus MarshMallow 6.0.1 (A520FXXU2AQG4).

And then in AP, CP and CSC you put the respective AP, CP and CSC files of the Nougat rom

It works, man!

At first I had some problems, the smart was out of system because before finishing the process I got some errors (old usb port, bad contact, etc.). Try to keep all the smart USB drivers on your PC, turn on the debug and also the OEM mode and restore your a5. Today I have been able to downgrade and I am using the stock rom 6.0.1

I'm also Brazilian, and it worked for me! Thank you!

Reactions: caiquess95

jackjt3

Apr 8, 2012
It turned out people were stuck with my A7 2017 using the rom of India nougat, I could not install nor the recovery much less to do the root, with your help here I got I'm from Brazil, I just installed via odin the file BL zto android 6, I entered the download mode and installed recovery and did the root, now only joy.

RubenDGuerreroG

Jan 5, 2018
Edit: You can follow the solution of @ashyx through the following link to fix the problem can not flash twrp or boot via Odin. I think it will work ;)
Link: https://xdaforums.com/samsung-a-ser...g-sm-a520f-2017-kernel-source-t3557622/page31

Hello everyone,
After I updated the latest firmware, I was unable to flash BOOT or TWRP via Odin. It just returned the result that ONLY OFFICIAL BINARIES ARE ALLOWED TO BE FLASHED (RECOVERY / BOOT). I think samsung locked the bootloader. Today, I have found a way to fix this problem because knox 0x1 but can not root is not pleasant at all!
I only tested on my A520F, not tested on any other device. I am not responsible for any errors on your device.
4. Add AP, CP, CSC of firmware 7.0 (November security) to the corresponding slot in Odin.
7. Setup and after that, you can flash TWRP or BOOT via Odin without bootloader errors.
Enjoy!
Sorry for my english...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I try this with the Android 6.0.1 BL but I recived the next error: SV REV. CHECK FAIL. DEVICE: 3. BINARY: 1

please help me.. my Phone is A5 2017 (SM-A520F)

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I try this with the Android 6.0.1 BL but I recived the next error: SV REV. CHECK FAIL. DEVICE: 3. BINARY: 1

please help me.. my Phone is A5 2017 (SM-A520F)
OK two things.
1. You can't have downloaded the boot image specified as it's a rev. 2 binary not 1.
2. Your device has been updated to rev. 3, so you're probably out of luck for downgrading.

lennV

Nov 5, 2014
OK two things.
1. You can't have downloaded the boot image specified as it's a rev. 2 binary not 1.
2. Your device has been updated to rev. 3, so you're probably out of luck for downgrading.

I just bought the A520F/DS (Malaysia) which still has MM 6.0.1. Can I use the procedure - Flash latest Nougat (Rev. 3 or later) in AP, CP, CSC) leaving BL blank - then do root? (Would I be correct to assume the bootloader will be unaltered, i.e. still be MM 6.0.1?) Thanks.

corsicanu

Recognized Developer
Just dropping by to leave some info, I successfully flashed TWRP on my single sim A520F with December bootloader updated to january after porting 7.1.1, and another one, same single sim, with January bootloader. Although, i have a friend with Duos that can't flash anything too since november patch.
So i think this issue is more like a bug, i don't see why samsung would lock only duos devices and not single too. N8 issue is actually the dissappearing oem unlock toggle, csc related. Some countries have it, some countries don't. But in our situation, this is more like a frp lock stuck on, no matter why oem toggle says. I surely hope i am right and future updates will bring duos users the freedom back.
Regards
Screenshot_20180116-144243.jpg

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2016
Has anyone tried updating to January Security Patch using the same trick? Say, Odin combination of rev 2 BL (from MM) + rev 4 January nougat update (AP+CP+CSC) and had their phones rooted after flashing?

Update: Done using this trick and had my device rooted successfully.

Last edited:

Alroid

Sep 23, 2012
Heaven....
@ashyx
Hi
Is it possible to skip updating bootloader when flashing, to avoid rooting problems?
e.g. Can we update to android O with an unlocked bootloader of Android N or MM?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hello everyone,
    Enjoy!
    Sorry for my english...
    Just dropping by to leave some info, I successfully flashed TWRP on my single sim A520F with December bootloader updated to january after porting 7.1.1, and another one, same single sim, with January bootloader. Although, i have a friend with Duos that can't flash anything too since november patch.
    So i think this issue is more like a bug, i don't see why samsung would lock only duos devices and not single too. N8 issue is actually the dissappearing oem unlock toggle, csc related. Some countries have it, some countries don't. But in our situation, this is more like a frp lock stuck on, no matter why oem toggle says. I surely hope i am right and future updates will bring duos users the freedom back.
    Regards
    Screenshot_20180116-144243.jpg

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

It works, man!

Hi ahyx, i searched google about not being able to flash twrp or boot after security update in November and know the information is that maybe samsung has locked the bootloader. So, I just tried replacing the BL file of the old firmware that I saved on my laptop and it worked. I do not notice that you have found the solution first. Sorry for it as an act of plagiarism. I will link to your topic as a good faith ;) (sorry for my english)
    Ok so i need to flash my phone with the stock rom again and then wait for the 7 days?
    It depends if you are already RMM STATE :prenormal?