[Tutorial]Root, Unlock, Recovery and flashing a Custom ROM

Search This thread

bihslk

Dec 29, 2011
You wish to know :P
i did everyting s-off without problem, Installed CWM without problem but? Worked well until i rebooted phone. Then i tryed to update binaries for SU but phone restarts then. What did i wrong? I can say that i have latest 4.1.1 update Sense 4+ from HTC.

Please HELP!

only1penny

Nov 19, 2008
livonia
i did it!

thank you so much for the videos. they are such a big help. i am now unlocked, have recovery & superuser and am ready to flash my first rom on my new one s. i do have experience with tp1, tp2 and i am coming from a sprint epic so it was a little different but nothing i couldn't figure out. for people coming from other devices it can get a little confusing with so much different info coming up from a search (aio kit, old versions, etc) but this thread is great and the videos help tremendously. thank you everyone for your hard work & i look forward to flashing.

pug_ster

Jul 30, 2010
Okay, I got a problem trying to root my Virgin Mobile htc one v. I got my phone to fastboot mode. Plugged the phone in to usb but the computer doesn't detect the device. I typed the command fastboot oem get_identifier_token, and it says waiting for device. Do I have to install android sdk? Thanks.

G

GuestX0019

make sure you cd "change directory" in command window to where you installed adb/fastboot

once there type adb devices not adb shell

also usb debuggling needs checked on phone and fastboot unchecked under phone/settings/power

yz250il

May 14, 2012
Rooting with Hboot 2.15?

Hi, is there a way to root the latest update from HTC (4.1.1) with the Hboot 2.15?

I didn't try to root yet because i have Hboot 2.15 and i don't wanna mess up my phone, can i just do the same process?
Thanks

gogos71

Jan 10, 2010
HI,

I have a problem with the installation of recovery mode.
I have followed all the steps mentioned above.. On the white screen where it has bootloader, it says on the top that it is unlocked but after following the steps for the rooting (the cmd seems to be ok as I don't have any errors) I press the bootloader, then recovery and there it stucks forever on the white screen with the red letters on the bottom of the screen.

Thanks in advance for the reply,
George

Murmucka

Apr 16, 2008
OTA Update after unlock

Hi,

i have unlocked the bootloader, and flashed custom recovery.
But i have still the Stock ICS rom (CID: VODAP102)

now, i want to update via OTA, when JB is coming. What have i to do?
Relock the bootloader, and reflash the old original recovery?
Where can i find the stock recovery for my One S (S3, Ville C2!)?

Candlemass

Feb 13, 2009
Athens
Greetings,

is there an S-OFF tool for One S or the only available way is via htcdev?
Any info on Radio/Engineering S-OFF? Because without them, how do we flash radios on the device?

I prefer not to do it via htcdev for warranty reasons, HTC service centers here are a pain in the a$$...
Thanks a lot!

EDIT : I was blind enough not to see the relevant discussion here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1654238 , sorry :p

Last edited:

bstylz911

Jan 10, 2009
Las Vegas
tried flashing my cwm but nothing happens..bootloader is already unlocked
it just says sending recovery. and its stuck there

Last edited:

TheCrow1372

Mar 2, 2011
In a Dark Place
Greetings,

is there an S-OFF tool for One S or the only available way is via htcdev?
Any info on Radio/Engineering S-OFF? Because without them, how do we flash radios on the device?

I prefer not to do it via htcdev for warranty reasons, HTC service centers here are a pain in the a$$...
Thanks a lot!

EDIT : I was blind enough not to see the relevant discussion here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1654238 , sorry :p

Glad after this large post, u found ur answer lol :thumbup::D

Sent from my HTC One S using xda premium

truelove04

Jul 26, 2011
please i need 3uk ruu to unblick my device so it doesnt mount sd card or is there a way that custom rom can fix it? htc ones 3uk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just a quick step by step tutorial to get a Custom ROM working on your One S.

Step 1: Unlock

• Go on http://www.htcdev.com and create yourself an account on HTCDEV.
    • Download These Fastboot Files
    • Make a new folder on your C:/ drive called fastboot.
    • Extract The Zip downloaded in step 2 to the new folder
    • Go Here http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/ and select "All Other Supported Models" and "then begin unlock bootloader"
    • Yes, Tick both Boxes, Proceed
    • Skip up to step 8 as we have all we need for the first 7 steps
    • Power off your phone by holding the power button down for 10 seconds
    • Power your phone on by holding power and volume down
    • Highlight Fastboot With Volume+or- then press Power
    • Plug your phone into your PC and open a Command Prompt.
    • (windows XP - Click Start > Run > type CMD in box then press OK
    • (Windows 7 - Click Start > type CMD in search box then press Enter)
    • Change directory to your folder where we put fastboot files cd c:\fastboot
    • Type this into your command prompt window fastboot oem get_identifier_token
    • Select & copy the text as per step 9 on the HTCDev website
    • Paste your identifier token into the box at the bottom and submit
    • You Will Very Shortly Receive an email from HTCDev with a link to the second part of the instructions and your "Unlock_code.bin" attached
    • Download the "Unlock_code.bin" from the email and save it to the same folder that we extracted fastboot files to in step 2
    • Type this into your command prompt window fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
    • The Display Will change on your phone, press Vol + to accept and power to confirm.

Thanks to bagofcrap24 for this part!

Step 2: Recovery

Step 3: Root

Make sure you are on the stock kernel!

• Now root your phone with SuperSU by Chainfire, thanks a lot!
    • Download SuperSU from the end of the thread
    • Flash it with the Recovery:
    • Power off your device and then hold the VOL DOWN + Power to boot into the Bootloader
    • Navigate with VOL and Power to Recovery
    • Now flash the .zip:

- install zip from sdcard
      - choose zip from sdcard
      - select the CWN-SuperSU-v0.87.zip file and flash it
      - Reboot now

Now you are able to flash any Custom ROM.

Credits:

Paul for the Recovery: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1579584
    Chainfire for SuperSU: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Video-Tutorial by Flow-Wolf (thanks buddy):

Bootloader Unlock:

Recovery Installation:

Root:

Custom ROM Installation:

If this helped you, make sure to thank me and to donate to Paul, Chainfire, koush or/and Flow Wolf!
    The HTC method is good as well :)

Android without root is nothing..
    what exactly are you typing at command prompt

you need to have usb debugging checked on phone
    you need the recovery image in same folder as your fastboot.exe/adb files
    you need to cd to that directory/folder
    you need the recovery image in that same folder
    you need to be booted into bootloader with fastboot highlighted
    and phone plugged into pc

you have to type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

where recovery.img is the exact name of the recovery image image you put in the folder where fastboot/adb is--usually tools or platform tools of your sdk

you can check the exact name by right clicking the recovery image in the folder and going to properties. I usually just copy and paste that into the command line

i solved it! i was missing the command fastboot flash "recovery" keyword before the recovery name! :D im dumb! lol thanks though
    hm.. first time unlocking, rooting etc using a mac and well, it could be going smoother.
    Anyways.

Ive unlocked the bootloader but when i try to flash the cwm recovery I'm getting the message;

unknown partition 'recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.3.1-ville.img'
    error: cannot determine image filename for 'recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.3.1-ville.img'

What am i doing wrong? The file is in the same folder as fastboot.exe and I've tried renaming it to a shorter filename (thinking I were typing it wrong).
    Ive tried both versions of cwm with the same result.

Im using this command;
    ./fastboot flash XXXXXXX.img

Should be
    Code:
    fastboot flash [B]recovery[/B] recovery.img

looks like you forgot the recovery bit
    But don't be afraid of htcdev, you don't loose the whole warranty

HTC One X with tapatalk 2