• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[TUTORIAL] S-OFF guide for the complete Hero newbie...

Search This thread

outrage_uk

Jul 31, 2008
I know its an old phone now, but my friend gave me this one to update, and it took a while for me to figure it out (used to my Evo 3D)... so ive put this together to help anyone wishing to S-OFF and can't work it out...

*** This is for GSM ONLY. Don't try it if your not sure or you'll brick your phone ***

This is what I did to get S-OFF...

Download Modaco's SPL HBoot 1.76.2007 and move it to your SD Card.

Download Clockworkmod Recovery 2.5.0.7, rename it to " recovery.img " and move it to your SD Card.

Download UniversalAndroot and move it to your SD Card.

Download ES File Explorer from the market (or any other file explorer).

Download Android Terminal Emulator from the market.

Enable installing from SD Card.. (Settings -> Applications -> tick Unknown Sources)

Open ES File Explorer and install Universal Androot.

Run it and press Root :) ...
It should say.. "Woot ! Your device is rooted !" ... close the program.

Open Android Terminal Emulator, and type " su " . Press enter.
Allow SuperUser access.

Type " flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img " and press enter.
It should just show a $ sign on a new line.

Power off your phone, remove and replace your battery and press and hold the Home button while pressing Power.

Your phone will load into Clockworkmod Recovery.

Select " install zip from sdcard ", then " choose zip from sdcard ". Select " update-hero-hboot-1.76.2007-signed.zip ". Press Back, Back and " reboot system now ".

Leave the phone to update HBoot. Do not interrupt it. (It restarts a few times)

Once done, the phone will restart and load as normal. Check the HBoot version by going into HBoot again (turn off, hold Volume - and Power) and it will hopefully show S-OFF, Hboot 1.76.2007. Job done.

Tenpin

Nov 1, 2011
Manchester
Great guide, very simplistic and understandable. Thanks for this!

Sent from my HTC Hero using xda premium

Last edited:

nadliw

May 25, 2009
Greeting...

Since i have Rooted my Hero and Flashing ROM, I never knew we can/must do S-OFF.

I'm a bit curious...is it necessary S-OFF for Hero? Any advantages?

From my little understanding it just to make control of our Hero's partition.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

outrage_uk

Jul 31, 2008
S-On (Security-On) - is HTC's final resort for locking certain parts of the phone.

With S-On, the NAND section of your phone is locked and will fail to install software (and sometimes gain root access) depending on which ROM and phone your using. On some phones (not sure about Hero) you have to install a separate boot image with fastboot to let you install a custom, non HTC ROM, as it isn't from a signed HTC source.

With S-Off (Security-Off), you have full write access to all partitions on your phone, can gain permanent root, and all ROMs / boot / radios / recoverys should install successfully.

It doesn't appear that most Hero users need S-Off to allow you to install custom ROMs, but as I wanted to update the radio version, I chose to. :)

outrage_uk

Jul 31, 2008
I have given the Hero back to my friend now after updating... :)

Things have changed between the Hero and Evo 3D, but when I use something, I want to have full control on what I can do, not to be forced into not been able to do or access certain things.

Although, I can understand why HTC implemented Hboot Security, careless use with S-Off (flashing wrong images or disconnecting too early) - and you will brick your phone. :cool:

Reactions: sydikm

AntonioTrindade

Jan 17, 2010
Lisboa
I think I'm lucky, then...

I have a GSM HTC Hero bought back in 2009 and just recently heard this S-OFF issue.

Only recently I checked and my boot loader is in S-ON state.
However, I never had a problem installing whatever I wanted on it.

In fact, the phone was rooted a few days after buying it and it remains rooted as of now! I even had to re-install the official HTC 1.6 firmware because I installed a non-compatible recovery ROM...

I wonder if any of this has to do with the fact that I purchased it without a SIM lock...

javy1986

Nov 23, 2010
Working great! Even if you are on 2.1 use the 1.5/1.6 option in androot. otherwise rooting will not work. (even though it says "Woot blabla")

chlorinekid

Jul 4, 2012
can i just ask what might be a noob question about this whole process...

once this phone is rooted and has s-off will this open it up to putting any network sim card in it? i do have an old htc hero but it's currently locked to t mobile uk as it's an old contract phone.

thanks in advance..

Nuustik

Feb 7, 2011
Pärnu
S-OFF allows you to execute certain commands and gain access to the NAND partition of the phone.
In order to unlock your phone, you must buy an unlock code somewhere (I've heard them being about 5€, correct me if I'm wrong).

Reactions: chlorinekid

chlorinekid

Jul 4, 2012
Thanks for the explanation. Appreciated.

To be honest I'm a bit surprised that there's not a way to remove the sim lock through another method. Having played around with unlocking my sensation and flashing cyanogenmod it just seems like there's nothing you can't do with these phones these days..!

Thanks again..

Sent from my HTC Sensation

Nuustik

Feb 7, 2011
Pärnu
So was I when I had to unlock my first LG years ago.
"unlocking by unlock codes is the safe way to unlock.." source
There are many topics about unlocking a T-Mobile Hero for free, but with no success. However I only found a topic about unlocking an Orange one.

Reactions: chlorinekid

jdwis

Feb 18, 2010

Power off your phone, remove and replace your battery and press and hold the Home button while pressing Power.

Select " install zip from sdcard ", then " choose zip from sdcard ". Select " update-hero-hboot-1.76.2007-signed.zip ". Press Back, Back and " reboot system now ".

Once done, the phone will restart and load as normal. Check the HBoot version by going into HBoot again (turn off, hold Volume - and Power) and it will hopefully show S-OFF, Hboot 1.76.2007. Job done.

I tried this on my HERO GSM which has S-ON but after doing this process it still has S-ON it doesnt turn to S-OFF?

jdwis

Feb 18, 2010
I sucessfully S-OFFed with this, thanks mondaco

I tried it again, but still S-ON?
I put hboot image on sd card, removed battery, put it back, went into recovery RA1.7xx, flashed hboot zip file.
It did few things and asked me to confirm it with "HOME + BACK" button, which I did, then again it did few things and then booted into recovery, showed as if its finished and showed me a last command Formatting Cache.... though it was stuck there for atleast 2 min so switched off the phone, went back in bootloader, it still showed S-ON?

I downloaded file from modaco as well, both files are same, modaco's and the one mentioned above... I checked MD5.
What am I doing wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know its an old phone now, but my friend gave me this one to update, and it took a while for me to figure it out (used to my Evo 3D)... so ive put this together to help anyone wishing to S-OFF and can't work it out...

*** This is for GSM ONLY. Don't try it if your not sure or you'll brick your phone ***

This is what I did to get S-OFF...

Download Clockworkmod Recovery 2.5.0.7, rename it to " recovery.img " and move it to your SD Card.

Download UniversalAndroot and move it to your SD Card.

Download ES File Explorer from the market (or any other file explorer).

Download Android Terminal Emulator from the market.

Enable installing from SD Card.. (Settings -> Applications -> tick Unknown Sources)

Open ES File Explorer and install Universal Androot.

Run it and press Root :) ...
    It should say.. "Woot ! Your device is rooted !" ... close the program.

Open Android Terminal Emulator, and type " su " . Press enter.
    Allow SuperUser access.

Type " flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img " and press enter.
    It should just show a $ sign on a new line.

I have given the Hero back to my friend now after updating... :)

Things have changed between the Hero and Evo 3D, but when I use something, I want to have full control on what I can do, not to be forced into not been able to do or access certain things.

Although, I can understand why HTC implemented Hboot Security, careless use with S-Off (flashing wrong images or disconnecting too early) - and you will brick your phone. :cool:
    S-OFF allows you to execute certain commands and gain access to the NAND partition of the phone.
    In order to unlock your phone, you must buy an unlock code somewhere (I've heard them being about 5€, correct me if I'm wrong).
    So was I when I had to unlock my first LG years ago.
    "unlocking by unlock codes is the safe way to unlock.." source
    There are many topics about unlocking a T-Mobile Hero for free, but with no success. However I only found a topic about unlocking an Orange one.