[TUTORIAL] S-Off & Update to Android 4.3

Search This thread

RSchris

Dec 8, 2006
Are there kernel problems with paid apps after doing this btw?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk
With stock roms you don't have any paid apps issues. On OTA 4.3 neither, it's fine. By the way, tr1gg3r84 solves the kernel problem in his R4 rom.

edimonoarfa

Sep 18, 2009
Jakarta
never succeed

I come to try this method with these:
1. Stock ROM 1.25.708
2. Unlocked bootloader (htc-dev method)
3. Fash TWRP Recovery
4. S-on
5. CID other than 11111111
6. Rooted

Then with your guide i did:
1. S-off
2. SuperCID
3. Relock bootloader (avoiding bootloop)
4. Restore Stock ROM (in OP) --> never prompted about supersu. SuperSU always there (i think this caused the problem that i tell you later)
5. Download OTA
6. Restore stock recovery
7. Install OTA --> device refused to install. It told me that my rom is a custom rom so it can't be updated

What's wrong?

MirageBlader

May 9, 2012
Munich
1. Stock ROM 1.25.708
3. Fash TWRP Recovery
4. S-on
6. Rooted

1. S-off
2. SuperCID
4. Restore Stock ROM (in OP) --> never prompted about supersu. SuperSU always there (i think this caused the problem that i tell you later)
5. Download OTA
7. Install OTA --> device refused to install. It told me that my rom is a custom rom so it can't be updated

What's wrong?

Yep, you have root that's the problem. Make a factory reset and restore from my backup with twrp recovery, download ota, restore stock recovery and it should work :)

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mini mit Tapatalk 4

Aciz

Nov 21, 2013
1. Stock ROM 1.25.708
3. Fash TWRP Recovery
4. S-on
6. Rooted

1. S-off
2. SuperCID
5. Download OTA

What's wrong?

Or just install the stock rooted rom from @tr1gg3r84 :)

hani1

Oct 26, 2009
Beirut
it worked! thanks a lot! one question though how come it restoring the nandroid backup worked, but when we were doing it on our own, it wasnt working?

edimonoarfa

Sep 18, 2009
Jakarta
Yep, you have root that's the problem. Make a factory reset and restore from my backup with twrp recovery, download ota, restore stock recovery and it should work :)

Thx mate, I really appreciate your work. I learn much from you.

Or just install the stock rooted rom from @tr1gg3r84 :)

Yes, this is the most easy way and I did it last night after many times failing when trying to get the OTA

unlimited_pl

Dec 20, 2013
I have this, when my phone boot up. Works well, but I think the kernel is bad, and I don't have any new app in play store like Real Racing 3, GTA etc. Any ideas? :confused:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-22-18-35-21.png
    Screenshot_2013-12-22-18-35-21.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot_2013-12-22-18-34-08.png
    Screenshot_2013-12-22-18-34-08.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

DeXa

Dec 9, 2006
Sofia

I have exactly the same problem! I did what you recommend and still I cannot get the OTA to work. I am also missing Flashligh and Calculator from the apps. I also cannot get rid of root even flashing your backup it is still there. I have wiped everything (cache, system, data) and I still have root! I am also missing the contents of /data (they are gone since htcdev unlock). Whatever I do, I get "Variant system version" saying my device is modifyied.

Last edited:

CONdemmedNORmal

Oct 12, 2011
I have exactly the same problem! I did what you recommend and still I cannot get the OTA to work. I am also missing Flashligh and Calculator from the apps. I also cannot get rid of root even flashing your backup it is still there. I have wiped everything (cache, system, data) and I still have root! I am also missing the contents of /data (they are gone since htcdev unlock). Whatever I do, I get "Variant system version" saying my device is modifyied.

I have that modified thing to its annoying as hell but I can't remember exactly what I did but I had managed to get s-off root supercid and all that with the missing apps intact without the warnings, but messed up by locking boot loader with twrp when trying to remove tampered flag so had to undo everything I did -_-

Sent from my HTC One mini using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DeXa

Dec 9, 2006
Sofia
I have that modified thing to its annoying as hell but I can't remember exactly what I did but I had managed to get s-off root supercid and all that with the missing apps intact without the warnings, but messed up by locking boot loader with twrp when trying to remove tampered flag so had to undo everything I did -_-

Sent from my HTC One mini using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I am not sure that the problem is in the missing apps. Because if you follow the guide in this thread you will end up without them. Other people have been able to update without any issues. So the problem is someplace else. Either way in order this to be resolved, we need a full backup of a clean device or RUU. The backup is impossible to get because for obvious reasons.
If someone can help I will be very happy :)

mgostom

Apr 24, 2011
Dallas, TX
Hi Everyone,

I followed the instructions and my device is s-off, tempered flag removed and then I locked the bootloader. However, before I locked it, I continued with instructions all the way to get the OTA. That didn't work, so I locked it and tried again. With that said...

I'm having the same issue, can't get the OTA to download. At the end of the download I get the modified variant message and that's it. As previously mentioned, the backup restore doesn't remove the root and SU. I wiped clean every time before restore. So, I decided to unroot, now the SU app is gone, back to recovery, wipe and restore. Before reboot, TWRP is asking now if I want to install root, I do not... Reboot, connect to Wi-Fi... system update download starts... And... same thing. The same modified os message pops up.

Any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.

I know I can flash the rooted 4.3. However, does the official 4.3 update will also update the bootloader and modem/radio version?

Thank you for your help! This guide has been really great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

eikum

Oct 29, 2013
Maybe I dont understand all this. But will this unroot and look my bootloader?

Im a n00b, sorry about that. But I have a mini with some cracks, and want to sent it in to service but then I need to unroot and lock my bootloader or something so my warranty stands?

MirageBlader

May 9, 2012
Munich
Maybe I dont understand all this. But will this unroot and look my bootloader?

Im a n00b, sorry about that. But I have a mini with some cracks, and want to sent it in to service but then I need to unroot and lock my bootloader or something so my warranty stands?

Should Not. But for everyone whos getting trouble, after you have s-off you can restore your device with The at&t ruu to have a clean Base for The Rest of The guide

astroboyvn88

Jan 4, 2014
1. Stock ROM 1.25.708
3. Fash TWRP Recovery
4. S-on
6. Rooted

1. S-off
2. SuperCID
5. Download OTA

What's wrong?

I had the exact same problem and now it really is a nightmare for me. I even did a swipe and completely cleaned everything (even the OS) and pushed the nandroid back in recovery mode using adb push. TWRP did ask me if I want to root my phone, i said NO. But everything was totally USELESS. Every time my phone is restored, there is a freakin supper SU app preinstalled right there which means my phone is rooted and I am always told that my OS is modified so I cannot update !!! HELP ME!! :(( I don't know what to do....

Another question I have is that I see there is another system dump version posted by tr1gg3r84 but I'm not sure how to use it!? I've tried zip/unzip and then use the install tab in TWRP to flash it but it failed every single time. Could someone please help me out? I'm totally desperate here :(

Sorry I'm kinda newbie. This is like the first time I am trying to hack my phone :">

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cheers Guys,
    this guide will lead you to a S-Off HTC One Mini with SuperCID and Android 4.4.2.

NEW
    Update to 4.4.2
    NEW

Because my english sucks really hard, iam sorry in advanced for it :D

The S-Off guide is from the Handy-FAQ forum and just translated from german into english.
    All thanks and greetings goes to them :D

The stock nandroid backup still uploading, pls bepantient.
    You can do the s-off part of the guide if you wish.

People wich already got S-Off pls just skip that part.

Code:
    [B][COLOR="Red"][CENTER]Neither phone FAQ , or assume I, nor the thread creator on XDA
    responsibility for problems you encounter![/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]

Whats needed?

• I tested HBoot versions 2.19 & 2.21!
    • Unlocked Bootloader over HTCdev
    • A rooted stock ROM & Kernel (Its important without it will not work!) JmzM4StockRootedOdex-WWE-1.22.401.1 & Jmz M4 Kernel
    • some knowledge how to use ADB and Fastboot
    • cmd-tool, every windows computer should have it
    • i could happen that it not work on the first time, just do it over again from beginning and it will work (i had that problem)
    • it does not looks very user-friendly (no GUI)
    • it will not brick your devices (BUT its possible because its a hack)
    • the possibility to get S-Off without problems is DAMN high :D

Download:
    1. download Android SDK for ADB.
    2. Download revone: http://revolutionary.io/revone

Guide:

You can use any OS for that guide, you just need an cmd-tool.
    1. Download revone (above) and copy it to your adb folder, while Android is running.[/B]):
    2. open cmd and use following commands:
      Code:
      adb push revone /data/local/tmp/
    3. now use these commands:
      Code:
      adb shell
      Code:
      cd /data/local/tmp
      Code:
      chmod 755 revone
    4. Prepare S-Off:
      Code:
      ./revone -P
      • revone will give you an error now: "error message -2"
      • NOW Restart your device but leave USB debugging turned on and use following commands:

Code:
        adb shell
        Code:
        cd /data/local/tmp
        Code:
        ./revone -s 0 -u

revone should tell you that everything went fine and i got S-Off.

• Here just some other commands for revone:
        • -u --> Unlock Bootloader
        • -l --> Lock Bootloader (It will not simply lock it, it will lock it like it was never unlocked)
        • -r --> Relock Bootloader (mark the device as unlocked)
        • -t --> "Tampered" will be removed from bootloader
        • !!!IMPORTANT! YOU NEED FULLY STOCK ROM, STOCK RECOVERY AND STOCK BOOT BEFORE YOU CAN USE THIS!!! fastboot oem writesecureflag 3 --> restore S-ON

5. If revone say OK then reboot your device into bootloader and check if you got S-Off[/code]
    6. You should see S-Off Now.
    7. Optional: Run revone (via CMD) and remove that tampered flag:
      Code:
      adb shell
      Code:
      cd /data/local/tmp
      Code:
      ./revone -t

Credits

revone developed by Revolutionary dev team.

Disclaimer

Revolutionary dev team declines any responsibility if you use RevOne : If the world goes down, it 's not our fault . If your device ignites spontaneously , that's not our fault . Do you choose to use our tool, we do not force you.

Support

Please visit # revolutionary IRC on the Freenode network. We will support you as much as possible , but remember : This is an "early access" and we could just sleep or just not be available when you years of accession the chat. Just stay there and wait for a response.

Super CID :

Guide:

1. Boot into bootloader and connect via fastboot USB to your PC
    2. open CMD to use (in my case) cd /Android/ (if your adb folder is on C:/Android/)
    3. use following command
      Code:
      fastboot oem writecid 11111111
      --> Its 8 times the 1!
    now lets check it twice:
    • Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    Or:
    1. Code:
      fastboot reboot-bootloader
    2. Code:
      fastboot oem readcid
      --> You should see CID 11111111 now.

Now your device is S-Off! :D
    Now lets install a custom recovery and a stock ROM to get the OTA.

Install TWRP Recovery:
    Please visit this XDA Thread
    You can Download the latest touch recovery there.
    rename it now to twrp.img and copy it to your ADB folder.

Guide:

1. Boot into bootloader and connect via fastboot USB to your PC
    2. open CMD to use (in my case) cd /Android/ (if your adb folder is on C:/Android/)
    3. use following command
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    now use

• Code:
      fastboot erase cache

• Code:
    Now enter recovery by selecting recovery from bootloader and enter it with power-button

Create now an backup (it shoudl take a lot of time cuz its almost stock device :D)
    Reboot into android now
    Now download this file:
    My Link :D
    Thanks to scotty2000 for the mirror :D
    You can google for an Stock 4.2.2 - 1.22.401.1 Odexed Nandroid Backup
    Copy this nandroid backup into the TWRP backup folder.
    Important (It should looks like /TWRP/BACKUP/SHA********** [Ur device ID]/Stock 4.2.2 - 1.22.401.1 Odexed/backup files)
    Now reboot your device into recovery again and restore it with the backup we copied.
    After it sucessfully restore your device boot it up
    (Maybe TWRP will ask you to restore root, answer with NO!)

1. Wait until device booted and connect to WIFI.
    2. Goto settings -> info -> Software-Updates and let him check for an OTA
    3. If you have SuperCID you should get an OTA notification.
    4. Download it but NOT install it.
    5. Connect your phone to your PC and copy the OTA
      (sdcard/downloads/) to your PC.
    6. Reboot your device into Bootloader and open CMD
    7. [Make sure you have WinRAR installed, its the only one wich worked for me]
    8. Open the OTA file with winrar, inside it there is a firmware.zip file.
    9. extract it somewhere or if you are lazy like me :D download it here
    10. Open the firmware.zip and extract the recovery.img and copy it to your adb folder.
    11. Boot into bootloader and connect via fastboot USB to your PC
    12. open CMD to use (in my case) cd /Android/ (if your adb folder is on C:/Android/)
    now use

• Code:
      fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

• Code:
      fastboot erase cache

• Code:
    now reboot your device into android.

Let it check for OTAs and if it show you that an OTAs was downloaded and waiting for install....
    Install it!
    Your device should reboot into Stock recovery and install the OTA.
    It takes 5 - 10 mins after it the device reboots into a fresh & clean Android 4.3.

NEW 24.02.2014
    After installed to 4.3 just look for a new Update.
    You will get a notification that a new update is ready to download.
    After downloading Android 4.4.2 just install it and... your done!

You can do now a factory reset to set the device up from beginning :D

If you want to root your device just download this file and install it via recovery:
    Thanks tbwshaun for the Link :D

For kitkat (4.4.2) User, pls use this SuperSU.zip to get root.

But if you to lazy to go to recovery to flash stuff just use Flashify App
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cgollner.flashify&hl=de
    flash it from running android and simply reboot :D
    (You can flash boot.img & recovery.img also with this app)

And i can also confirm that Xposed Framework & Sense Toolbox
    wich is used in ARHD Roms, works very well too.
    It has a lot of custom stuff in it :D

I already did it to 6 devices now and it works without problems.
    The devices was from Vodafone, O2, Telekom and many others :D
    Mega upload

Thanks. Once it's downloaded, I'll upload to dropbox and Mega too.

Here the upload to Mega, enjoy :)

https://mega.co.nz/#!ZtEmWZaT!dqCyvEDN1XrL5jh3sAMqvkBdW13yVNYejKEcrSqrlJ0
    To fix the bootloop with the combination of s-off and unlocked bootloader, delete the file at /system/bin/hcheck

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    Its still uploading. And Iam still at work. To do s-off u need the rooted Rom and custom kernel, I tried it without and it's not working but if u have fully stock make a system dump to be safe. If u have s-off it doesn't matter if the boot loader is unlocked or locked. U just need it later if you have to sent it back to HTC. I will keep you guys updated with the upload. I will also upload a system dump of my currect 4.3 system. But u all need s-off.

@tbwshaun can you reupload the stock android that MirageBlader posted?

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

somewhere like mega.co.nz

yes ill do that now not sure how long it will take tho!!!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone