• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[TUTORIAL][S-ON/S-OFF][BL UNL] PERMANENT ROOT Wildfire S

Search This thread

theq86

Jan 6, 2009
Nuremberg
As now we can unlock Wildfire S Bootloader I tried some ways to permanently root this device.

Gingerbreak seems not to work, however, Zerg rush does.

You either need an S-OFF device OR an S-ON device with unlocked bootloader
Read here how to unlock bootloader: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=21114312

There is a VERY EASY way to root WFS now. I take no credits in writing any stuff related to rooting that, I just want to show how you can easily root the WFS and give newbies a first station to come to.

Please come here, and download HTC Supertools by frigid, give him a million thanks, download tools and run the supertools.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1426276

Be sure to use HTC Supertool v3 (directly download here: http://www.multiupload.com/ZNGJ64FZDW)

1) Press 1 (Prep (using zergRush CREDITS to Revolutionary)) and Enter, zerg rush is now run
2) Press 3 (Attempt Perm Root (Must prep first)) and Enter, now the device will get rooted
3) type reboot and Enter to reboot your device.

Afterwards your WFS will be permanently rooted.

If you stuck rooting the device try this:
1) Press 2 and Enter, instead of 1
2) Press 3 (Attempt Perm Root (Must prep first)) and Enter, now the device will get rooted

I tested it with European latest Stock Rom 2.3.5 and HTC-Dev unlocked bootloader. I can confirm that a file could be copied to /system, then I rebooted again and the file was still there.

-----------------------------

What next?
eoghan2t7 created a fine auto-installer for ClockWorkMod, your door into recovery and custom roms !
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1431969

Last edited:

No.12

Aug 14, 2011
Isn't 2 attempt root and number 3 attempt s-off,sim unlock?

EDIT: I still have v2 and I see now that v3 is out.

theq86

Jan 6, 2009
Nuremberg
1 and 2 are different ways to prepare the phone getting rooted.
3 does root the phone
4 is Attempt S-OFF, SIM Unlock, and everything else (Using gfree) but I did NOT test this menu entry, however, it would not work I think.

raven.warsong

Apr 5, 2011
will this work with wildfire s GSM T-Mobile. after root can I install rommanager and flash with clock works recovery? thanks much

theq86

Jan 6, 2009
Nuremberg
will this work with wildfire s GSM T-Mobile. after root can I install rommanager and flash with clock works recovery? thanks much

It works with all S-OFFed phones and with all htc-dev bootloader unlocked phones. So either S-OFF with XTC-Clip or unlock bootloader at htc-dev.com.

However, there seems to be a problem unlocking US T-Mobile Roms bc there is no RUU yet to update hboot.

If rom manager works I don't know. I just tested permanent rooting

nikhilkaushik

Dec 12, 2011
New Delhi
Samsung Galaxy S9+
iQOO 7
The unlocked bootloader method to root WFS

Th method given by HTC to unlock bootloaders does not allow a user to flash a custom ROM. So I guess S-OFF is still required. I have been testing it myself from past 8 hours now. If there is any other method then please do let me know.

eoghan2t7

Recognized Contributor
Jan 18, 2011
Belfast
Th method given by HTC to unlock bootloaders does not allow a user to flash a custom ROM. So I guess S-OFF is still required. I have been testing it myself from past 8 hours now. If there is any other method then please do let me know.

What methods are you trying?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using xda premium

theq86

Jan 6, 2009
Nuremberg

It does allow custom roms. I read from a user he installed cm7 with s-on.
allowing custom roms is the sense of bootloader unlocking

Reactions: teufen

nikhilkaushik

Dec 12, 2011
New Delhi
Samsung Galaxy S9+
iQOO 7
Well, I have tried th direct flashing method by placing the file into the root of SD card and the Manager method. Both seem to show the same output, an image showing nothing but error note.

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

It does allow custom roms. I read from a user he installed cm7 with s-on.
allowing custom roms is the sense of bootloader unlocking
@theq86 I have been trying the same from past several hours, but I don't seem to find any positive hope.... I would be really thankful if u can help me in finding that methos using which one can flash a custom ROM with S-ON on WFS

nikhilkaushik

Dec 12, 2011
New Delhi
Samsung Galaxy S9+
iQOO 7
Well, rather than following any other methods given, I preferred to follow HTC's given method to unlock bootloader. I have seen it thoroughly and yes I hav access to root as well. Some root required apps are also running. But the main reason to unlock the bootloader was to overclock my phone's processor, which could not be done on the stock ROM of HTC. Hence I tried to flash CM7.0.2 and jikantaru's ROM as well, which he claimed to have made the stock ROM with sense allowed the overclocking.
If you still can find a better way to flash ROMs with S-ON, then we all would be greatfull to that user....

theq86

Jan 6, 2009
Nuremberg
I updated main post, there is a link to the developers section. eoghan has made an easy installer for CWM, so that would make it very easy to install CM ;)

Reactions: eoghan2t7

meanmug

Nov 10, 2008
Sector 7
It works with all S-OFFed phones and with all htc-dev bootloader unlocked phones. So either S-OFF with XTC-Clip or unlock bootloader at htc-dev.com.

However, there seems to be a problem unlocking US T-Mobile Roms bc there is no RUU yet to update hboot.

If rom manager works I don't know. I just tested permanent rooting
Tmobile probally wont support it, upgrade to Euro rom its better anyway, shouldn't make any difference since you'll probaly be flashing a custom rom soon.

makhongmat

Oct 5, 2011
As now we can unlock Wildfire S Bootloader I tried some ways to permanently root this device.

Read here how to unlock bootloader: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=21114312

There is a VERY EASY way to root WFS now. I take no credits in writing any stuff related to rooting that, I just want to show how you can easily root the WFS and give newbies a first station to come to.

Please come here, and download HTC Supertools by frigid, give him a million thanks, download tools and run the supertools.

Be sure to use HTC Supertool v3 (directly download here: http://www.multiupload.com/ZNGJ64FZDW)

1) Press 1 (Prep (using zergRush CREDITS to Revolutionary)) and Enter, zerg rush is now run

I tested it with European latest Stock Rom 2.3.5 and HTC-Dev unlocked bootloader. I can confirm that a file could be copied to /system, then I rebooted again and the file was still there.

What next?
eoghan2t7 created a fine auto-installer for ClockWorkMod, your door into recovery and custom roms !

The step 2 (press 3 and enter), how long it done??? I've waited for 15 mi... :(

theq86

Jan 6, 2009
Nuremberg
Yes. With unlocked bootloader the /system, /recovery and /boot partitions have been unlocked. Yet, this is not FULL S-OFF. We still can't flash radios.

Reactions: infected85

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you stuck rooting the device try this:
    1) Press 2 and Enter, instead of 1

What next?
    OK. So I've followed all in post #1! I've also tested SuperOneclick but can't root my Wildfire S. Well, it's the wife's, I found the Desire HD which is mine was easy ... :D I got the blue flashing window as reported by others earlier and here's what I posted at ... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=21199961#post21199961 ...

I've cross-posted get a bigger audience to see if anyone can shed any light on it.

Ta

Right. Tried this with a Wildfire S and things just hang. Wonder if someone could suggest why? I've been to htcdev and downloaded the unlocked bootloader (it does say 'UNLOCKED' ...!) and have turned on U&SB debugging. The latest htcsync is installed on my PC (though I then uninstall the sync bit and just leave the drivers) and when I plug in my USB cable I choose 'HTC Sync' - and let it ntime out.

I choose 'Root' from SOC 2.3.3 and the last line in the LH window is:

and in the RH window:

(Not sure which line in the RH window corresponds to that in the left though).

It just hangs there until I unplug it.

The other thing is if I try to boot into recovery I just get the red triangle and the phone hangs until I unplug the battery.

Clues?

Thanks

Dave

Dave i had the same problem and this morning i rooted my htc wfs.

Here what i did (i will skip the bootloader process because is very easy to do it)

1. I downloaded WFS Manager from here
    2. Run the run.bat and then (i had connected the phone with usb debugging on and active HTC Sync mode) press the 1 to do leave the script to its things (i wanted mostly for cwm recovery)
    3. I made Backup through recovery as it suggested.
    4. I download the file root.zip from here.
    5. Through recovery i active usb (from Mount menu -last option-) and i transfered the file root.zip to the root of the memory card (from PC).
    6. After that i choose "install zip from sd card" and then "choose zip from sd card" and by pressing 2-3 times the volume up button i found the root.zip and pressed the power button to select it and then the YES to run it.
    7. Then it loads some files and i had the message that everything was ok. I found the superuser app in the HTC Menu and i tried to do something that only if you were rooted you can do with success!!! :D

I hope to help this mini guide with everyone that has a problem with other tutorials... (FYI i have HTC WFs Vodafone GR Branded...)

Now we wait for the S-Off to come...!!! :D
    Root method

Hi ...
    I had some problem with the supertool (tried 2,3 and 1,3 ):(
    2,3 just got stuck (10+ min) and 1,3 went to flashing rooted but phone rebooted without root .
    I have a S-on unlocked marvel...

So I read some other threads . I put together this method (Credit to various ppl - sorry forgot the posts) :

1.You need fastboot.exe adb.exe adbwinapi.dll and adbwinusbapi.dll from the unlock process (google it otherwise)...
    and
    CWM recovery.img(5.0.2.7) Attached as zip file

Flash the CWM using this code from command prompt in folder where you put all the above files :
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    after the phone enters HBOOT(white bg with color text)
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

2.Reboot . CWM is now installed . You may wish to backup current ROM .

3.Download the signed su zip file from "superuser web site" [i used this link ]

4. put this zip file onto your sdcard and reboot into recovery :
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    )

5.Choose "install from zip file" and select the Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip file .

This will install both the su binary and superuser apk

6. reboot ....

Profit

Thnx in advance for your thanks:)
    This said that it rooted my phone but my phone is still s-on...?

yop, thats correct! there is still no method to s-off. BUT, thanks to htc-dev we can open bootloader and root!
    I also had the same problem but then I debugged the usb from Applications/Development and then pressed 2 NOT 1 and then 3, waited then saw big "ROOTED" flashing.