[TUTORIAL] Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY bootloader unlocking

Search This thread

Mr_Bartek

Jun 19, 2009
Quick tutorial for unlocking new Xperia devices. Although there is one on the SE developer website, this thread can be used for users to discuss their problems during unlocking etc.

Warning! This procedure will wipe the /data partition of your phone.

1. Download:
-fastboot package: http://www.multiupload.com/BMJ24IL6XY
-x86/x64 drivers: http://www.multiupload.com/0XZV1LXRVA
2. Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com/instructions
3. At the bottom click 'Continue' and enter your IMEI (type *#06# to find out), name and email address
4. You should now receive your unique unlock key
5. Extract fastboot.rar and open fastboot folder
6. Hold SHIFT and right click on the background of the folder
7. Select 'Open command window here'
8. Connect your phone in fastboot mode (turn phone off, hold search button and plug in USB Cable)
9. In the cmd windows type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
10. If a value is returned, it means the phone is correctly connected
11. Type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY and replace KEY with the key provided in step 4.
12. You're device should now be bootloader unlocked

Last edited:

Laird_Attwood

Apr 8, 2011
For any users on OS X rather than windows, Fastboot for OS X can be found developer.htc.com/google-io-device.html

"fastboot.exe" will need to be replaced with "fastboot-mac" in terminal

There is no need to download the SE driver mentioned on SE developer page.

Mr_Bartek

Jun 19, 2009
It will allow for the phone to be flashed with unsigned images. This basically means You get root (as long as somebody makes a firmware image with root access).

waz000000

Dec 11, 2006
leicester
If this is "basically root", does it means it allows for uninstalling stock apps if the bootloader is unlocked?

it isnt root it mearly enables the ability to get root via flashnig a new firmware and other means that are not yet available on our devices.

IT will take some development to get it working ive tried a few thigns but had no success yet, ive sent a pm to the flashtool creator to try to get him to include the play then we can dump and add root then flashback :)

megajosh

Nov 9, 2009
All I get when doing this is "waiting for device" what am I doing wrong? Im using windows 7. Does usb debugging have to be enabled? Thanks

Sent from my R800i using XDA Premium App

Laird_Attwood

Apr 8, 2011
All I get when doing this is "waiting for device" what am I doing wrong? Im using windows 7. Does usb debugging have to be enabled? Thanks

Device needs to be powered off, hold the search button when connecting it to USB cable. (blue light will come and stay on - power/sleep button)

emann56

Aug 14, 2010
This is weird, I have a Canadian xperia play but i can't press the search button to get a blue light. I can press the back button to get a green light but the drivers you provided doesn't work with this xperia play. I cant even connect to fastboot :( Mac or windows

EDIT: Is there anyway I can help, provide files and such? I did win this xperia play in a contest, so I do wanna know if i can unlock the bootloader.

Last edited:

Laird_Attwood

Apr 8, 2011
This is weird, I have a Canadian xperia play but i can't press the search button to get a blue light. I can press the back button to get a green light but the drivers you provided doesn't work with this xperia play. I cant even connect to fastboot :( Mac or windows

EDIT: Is there anyway I can help, provide files and such? I did win this xperia play in a contest, so I do wanna know if i can unlock the bootloader.

When the handset is switched off, connect it to the USB cable while you're holding the search button. That will put the handset in the correct mode (Blue Light)

works every time on my Play.

Step 9 will let you know if you can unlock the bootloader

emann56

Aug 14, 2010
When the handset is switched off, connect it to the USB cable while you're holding the search button. That will put the handset in the correct mode (Blue Light)

works every time on my Play.

Step 9 will let you know if you can unlock the bootloader

Im trying to tell you this doesnt work.

Laird_Attwood

Apr 8, 2011
Is your handset sim locked? Then that would be the reason

Even a SIM locked device should get to step 9 where you check if you have a bootloader that can be unlocked. All handsets WILL be able to go into the fastboot mode as its used to connect the handset to EMMA (not tried SEUS yet but guess its the same)

maybe just a faulty handset?

emann56

Aug 14, 2010
you hold the 'search button'...

Like I said when I hold the search button it does nothing. My phone is off, I hold the search button while plugging it (both a mac and a windows to make sure) and both times I get the sony ericsson logo then the battery status. I asked about the back button bc maybe the phones in north america are different and that would be the fastboot mode since that's the only one that worked(lighted up I mean).

Last edited:

emann56

Aug 14, 2010
Are you sure you're not holding down the search button for to long? holding down the search button is also a way to turn your phone on.

Search button works when android phone is on but! when its off it does nothing. It can't turn on the phone or boot into fastboot mode. I have a feeling even if you bought a non contract phone(in north america) it's gonna be locked :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Quick tutorial for unlocking new Xperia devices. Although there is one on the SE developer website, this thread can be used for users to discuss their problems during unlocking etc.

Warning! This procedure will wipe the /data partition of your phone.

1. Download:
    -fastboot package: http://www.multiupload.com/BMJ24IL6XY
    -x86/x64 drivers: http://www.multiupload.com/0XZV1LXRVA
    2. Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com/instructions
    3. At the bottom click 'Continue' and enter your IMEI (type *#06# to find out), name and email address
    4. You should now receive your unique unlock key
    5. Extract fastboot.rar and open fastboot folder
    6. Hold SHIFT and right click on the background of the folder
    7. Select 'Open command window here'
    8. Connect your phone in fastboot mode (turn phone off, hold search button and plug in USB Cable)
    9. In the cmd windows type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
    10. If a value is returned, it means the phone is correctly connected
    11. Type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY and replace KEY with the key provided in step 4.
    12. You're device should now be bootloader unlocked
    For any users on OS X rather than windows, Fastboot for OS X can be found developer.htc.com/google-io-device.html

"fastboot.exe" will need to be replaced with "fastboot-mac" in terminal

There is no need to download the SE driver mentioned on SE developer page.
    i hope the link will be uploade again :-(
    the link is dead
    many thnx :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ea6l1lab1tl0ah3

here you guys go GL with w.e your flashing hahah XD :p
    I have the same problem - no blue LED, phone starts to charge while holding SEARCH.
    Phone is sim free...

If you have bought sim-locked phone and then unlocked it, you still can't enter fastboot and unlock BL.
    Bootloader unlock allowed: NO....

A very sad day for me...

Just pay $24. It's worth every penny.

Sent from my R800x using xda premium
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone