Tutorial: Step-by-Step instructions How to Root Stock Sprint Android 6.0.1 Galaxy S5.

Search This thread

massia

Sep 4, 2010
Donna,Texas
I have Sprint G900PVPS3CQA2 GS5 hardware version: G900P.04
I have been trying over and over and never work , would you please let me know what is wrong?

abbiedoobie

Feb 21, 2017
I have been trying over and over and never work , would you please let me know what is wrong?

Did you turn off the "Reactivation Lock" under settings/security? That tripped me up at first, especially because I couldn't remember my Samsung password. It stopped Odin from working until I unchecked in settings. Sprint Galaxy S5 G900PVPS3CQA2 hw: G900P.04

FurrBear

Questions before I begin....

I let the new old stock S5 I just bought do all the OTA updates, and wound up with software version G900PVPS3CQB3; has anyone tried this with this version? [The phone is hardware version G900P.04, if that matters.]

I've seen a number of remarks about/problems with the Samsung account; I didn't set one up when going through the initial phone setup routine. (Honestly, didn't see the point.) Is this going to be an issue for rooting the phone?

For me, this is an upgrade from an S4; after I get the S5 established as my stable, boring, (but rooted) "regular" phone, the S4 will be used to explore LineageOS.

RazzMcTazz

Jun 13, 2012
I let the new old stock S5 I just bought do all the OTA updates, and wound up with software version G900PVPS3CQB3; has anyone tried this with this version?
I haven't seen anybody report whether BQ3 affects the ability to root. I highly doubt it. If rooting works, please let us know.

I've seen a number of remarks about/problems with the Samsung account; I didn't set one up when going through the initial phone setup routine. (Honestly, didn't see the point.) Is this going to be an issue for rooting the phone?
It's irrelevant to rooting. I've rooted 8 Galaxy S5's that didn't have Samsung accounts.

For me, this is an upgrade from an S4; after I get the S5 established as my stable, boring, (but rooted) "regular" phone, the S4 will be used to explore LineageOS.
I think you'll find that a rooted GS5 with the Xposed framework, and some great Xposed apps (like XTouchWiz) installed is about as good as any custom-ROM, and really just a great phone.

FurrBear

I haven't seen anybody report whether BQ3 affects the ability to root. I highly doubt it. If rooting works, please let us know.

It went great; I went with the latest TWRP - 3.1.0.0 - but other than that followed the instructions exactly. The only issue was that on the VolUp-Home-Power restart, I let go too early and had to re-Odin TWRP, but that was on me. (You did warn that was easy to mess up. ;)

Reactions: RazzMcTazz

Zer0efforts

Jun 27, 2011
Hi, I've got a Sprint gs5 sport (G860). Does anyone know if I can follow the same instructions to root for the regular gs5 (G900)?

textbox1.text

May 4, 2017
Hi, I have Sprint G900PVPS3CQD1 GS5 hardware version: G900P.04. I have tried this over and over, but the process doesn't start on Odin. I have also unchecked 'Reactivation Lock' under Security Settings. Any suggestions?

RazzMcTazz

Jun 13, 2012
Hi, I have Sprint G900PVPS3CQD1 GS5 hardware version: G900P.04. I have tried this over and over, but the process doesn't start on Odin. I have also unchecked 'Reactivation Lock' under Security Settings. Any suggestions?
I don't know what you mean by "the process doesn't start in Odin".

In step #10, does Odin's "ID:COM" box get a pale blue highlight? Does it show something like "#:[COM#]" (where "#" is some number)?

Reactions: droidzer1

textbox1.text

May 4, 2017
I don't know what you mean by "the process doesn't start in Odin".

In step #10, does Odin's "ID:COM" box get a pale blue highlight? Does it show something like "#:[COM#]" (where "#" is some number)?

Thanks for the response. I got it done, I'm actually not new in rooting but i guess the version of twrp i was trying to flash wasn't compatible with my device. I tried an earlier version and all went ok.

TeamAndroid14

Sep 16, 2014
Toronto
I have a sprint, and rooted my device with CF auto root. How to do I install TWRP ?. Can I use Odin and TWRP ?. Im not new to Rooting but I dont want anything happening to my device..

jescocom

Sep 22, 2017
Memphis, TN
locked SIM card

I bought my S5 from freedompop and the phone is locked to their sim card. I want to switch to sprint service but they won't release it for 6 months. Will rooting the phone unlock the sim card?

RazzMcTazz

Jun 13, 2012
I bought my S5 from freedompop and the phone is locked to their sim card. I want to switch to sprint service but they won't release it for 6 months. Will rooting the phone unlock the sim card?
Rooting the phone will not unlock the SIM card. And I don't really think the issue is whether or not the SIM card is locked. I think the issue is whether or not the service provider (FreedomPop) has released the phone for activation by another service provider (like Sprint or Ting) in a common database of valid/invalid phones that the service providers share. Check with Sprint to see if they can give you a Sprint SIM card and activate the phone. At different times, I bought four S5s from eBay that I had trouble activating.
  • One S5 had been on Ting and hadn't been released by Ting (though no money was owed on a contract). I had to have the eBay seller call Ting and release it. Then I was able to activate it on Sprint.
  • One S5 had been on Sprint but was under contract for one more month. After coming to a financial agreement with the seller, I waited one month before activating it.
  • One came without a SIM card. I got a SIM card for free from my local Sprint store. Because it didn't have its original SIM card, I couldn't activate it online, but I called Sprint and they were able to activate it.
  • One came with a SIM card but was under contract or had breached a contract or something. Sprint wouldn't activate it so I returned it.

dmolavi

Aug 22, 2010
Hate to dredge up a dead thread, buuuut...

My now old S5 is no longer my daily driver. I had previously rooted with your method, but decided to try LineageOS for a bit - until I couldn't download anything from the Play store.

So, I followed your instructions again, however, the phone seems stuck on the "Samsung" screen after flashing the ROM from Sammobile. Any idea how long it should be there? I haven't yet gotten around to reflashing TWRP and re-rooting.

Reactions: Fellofftheporch

RazzMcTazz

Jun 13, 2012
I don't remember how long it hangs at the Samsung screen but probably not more than a few minutes. I'd re-check my download and try again if it took longer than that.

I had rooted my sprint s5 a while back, following these instructions, and all was well. I could use Titanium Backup, and view the system logs with catlog and osmonitor and whatnot. But after a year and some months, things changed a little bit for the worse. Signal wouldn't let me answer calls from other signal users; instead it would say "missed call from..". I started looking at the system logs and found thousands of entries none of which seemed to be related to how I had been using the phone. But the thing that was annoying me the most was SmartFace - unchecking it in Settings did not disable it. So I thought maybe I should do a factory reset and re-root the phone later. So I did. But it didn't really "take". I had CPL2 installed, and had rooted it with twrp and SuperSU per these instructions. So I re-read the instructions several times, and I thought hey maybe if I install a newer stock ROM, it would be like installing the original factory ROM, but after running the OTA updates. So I installed CQD1 with Odin, and after the phone was unrooted and indicated the update was successful. But nothing had been erased. All of my apps and data were intact, I didn't have to fool around restoring from Samsung account or Google account or Titanium Backup Pro. Everything is fine, but boring. I can't view the system logs, or use TB to freeze apps. So I re-rooted, and can do those things again. But then the Eye in the status bar came back. SmartFace is not enabled. So that makes me think I really should do a factory reset for real.

Here is my question: what are people referring to when they say "factory reset"? Is it going to the Settings app, then Backup and Restore, then selecting Factory Reset with or without wipe data? Or is it rebooting into recovery mode and then selecting factory reset from a menu?

And what about encryption? I successfully unencrypted my add-on sdcard beforehand, but the built-in sdcard is still encrypted and there is no option to unencrypt it. I thought installing a different ROM would erase all that stuff. Furthermore, as if to deliberately create uncertainty and doubt, when you try to do a factory reset from Settings, it tells me all my personal data will be erased and cannot be recovered! I thought that one of the main reasons for having a Google or Samsung account was to recover my personal data if I lost my phone and had to replace it, or if I had to do a factory reset. Call me dense, dumb, or long-winded, but what am I missing about factory resets or installing stock sprint ROMs? After installing CQD1, it went through a process of updating all the apps, with the animated icon of meshed gears. I was like, hey I didn't want a software update, I wanted a fresh install! And wouldn't you be shocked to learn that after re-rooting, the eye in the status bar started turning on again?

The answer is probably that to do a factory reset, the phone must have the original stock ROM installed, then do a factory reset and wipe data, then if that works, upgrade to the latest stock ROM, then if that works log in to your Google account and tell it to restore your personal account data.

Where is the 'thank' button people refer to? Because I would like to express gratitude for all the information and shared experiences I found here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Following are step-by-step instructions to help you get rooted on Android 6.0.1 with SuperSU or Magisk. And following that are instructions on how to get unrooted and/or update your firmware/OS (without losing your apps & settings). The following rooting method has been successfully tried on Sprint Galaxy S5 Android 6.0.1 firmware versions, G900PVPU3CPCA, G900PVPS3CPE2, G900PVPU3CPL2, G900PVPS3CQD1, G900PVPU3CPH3, G900PVPU3PK1, G900PVPS3CQA2, G900PVPS3CQB3, & G900PVPS3CQD1 with the SuperSU v2.78 root, and (as of 11/25/17) has been successfully tried on G900PVPS3CQD1 with Magisk v14.0 root.

FYI: On 11/25/2017 I re-rooted my daughter's phone from the SuperSU root to Magisk v14.0 root so that she could play Animal Crossing on her Galaxy S5. (Some games won't install from the Play Store unless you're on the latest OS. And even if you side-load the apps, some apps won't run if they detect that you're rooted. Magisk masks your "rootedness" so that such games run. The instructions are essentially the same for either root method. It may be worth noting that these instructions differ from the far more complicated, perhaps outdated, instructions on XDA's Magisk page.)

I offer these instructions with absolutely no warranty of fitness. Following these instructions will void your warranty, and could destroy your phone, the planet, and possibly even the solar system.

Step-by-Step Instructions for Rooting a Stock Sprint Android 6.0.1 Galaxy S5.
    1. If you're already on Android 6.0.1, skip to the next step. Otherwise, install the stock Sprint Android 6.0.1 update. You can do this by accepting Sprint's over-the-air (OTA) update if Sprint pushed it to your phone. Or you can "pull" it from Sprint by going into Settings/System Update and selecting "Download updates manually". (If you're rooted or on a custom ROM and can't get the OTA update, see the instructions below about unrooting and updating the OS.) After installation, the phone reboots and an animation of meshing gears spins, for up to about 10 minutes. If you're connected to a PC via USB, then after it finishes installing you'll get a message about needing to install Samsung Smart Start and having to disconnect/reconnect. PC users should just be able to disconnect & reconnect the USB cable from the PC to the phone, and thereby cause the PC to install the new driver via Windows Update (assuming the PC is Internet-connected). After the new USB driver is installed, you may be prompted to allow access to the new MTP connection. Allow it. Google Play Services will need to be updated and may do so on its own or you may have to help it along. You should be prompted to reboot after Google Play Services updates. Reboot it. You'll be asked to allow access to device data for an MTP connection. Allow it.
    2. In the unlikely event you haven't already done so, install Samsung USB drivers on PC.
    3. Download Odin and unzip/extract it to your PC. (I used Odin v.3.10.7, but other versions of Odin will work.) Odin is a program that lets you push system files onto Samsung devices from a PC.
    4. Download to PC, the file "twrp-3.0.2-2-klte.img.tar" from HERE. You want the .tar file, not the .img file. DO NOT download twrp-3.0.2-1-klte.img.tar. ("TWRP" is a custom recovery that lets you install custom firmware, etc.)
    5. Depending on which root method you prefer, download to phone's SD-card (not to the phone's internal memory), either "SuperSU-v2.78.zip" from HERE., or download Magisk v.14.0. (both SuperSU and Magisk let you manage the root access to your phone. Magisk can often hide the fact that the phone is rooted, which can enable apps/games that won't run on rooted devices. Contrary to the, perhaps outdated, instructions on the Magisk XDA page and elsewhere, in my experience, you don't need to install the Magisk Manager or Phhs SuperUser, as both seem to be integrated and come along with the Magisk v14.0 zip. Since Magisk seems to be a newer/better style of root, if I were going to re-root my phone-- which I may do-- I'd go with Magisk, even though I've never needed a root-masking root method. See upgrade note below.*)
    6. With the phone disconnected from the PC, launch Odin.exe on the PC.
    7. With phone powered off, simultaneously press Volume-Down, Home & then Power. You have to hold them down long enough to see the "Warning!!" screen.
    8. Press Volume-Up to enter "Downloading..." mode.
    9. Connect phone to PC via USB. (If it's the 1st time you've done this in "Downloading" mode, then Windows will try to download the ADB Driver & Gadget Serial Driver. You'll need those drivers or else Odin won't connect.)
    10. If properly connected, Odin's "ID:COM" box should show something like "#:[COM#]" in a pale-blue highlight, where "#" will be some number. If you don't see something like that highlighted in pale blue, then you can't proceed any further, so update the ADB driver & Gadget Serial driver and/or try a different USB port, and/or try a different USB cable, and/or restart the PC, and/or try a different PC.
    11. From Odin, select "PDA" if the Odin version is v3.10.6 or lower. Or select "AP" if the Odin version is 3.10.7 or higher.
    12. From Odin, browse to the "twrp-3.0.2-2-klte.img.tar". (Wherever you stored it in step #4 above.)
    13. In the Odin "options" section, make sure "Auto Reboot" and other options are unchecked. (PDA or AP should be check-marked.)
    14. From Odin, select "Start". Odin will show the downloading progress (and you'll see a progress bar on the phone's screen). Then Odin should indicate downloading success. E.g. Odin v3.10.7 displays "PASS!" in a green box when it's finished downloading.
    15. After downloading is complete, disconnect the USB cable from phone and briefly remove the battery. Briefly removing the battery is easiest. Alternatively, it's possible to hold the power button down just long enough to turn-off the phone, but if you hold it a split-second too long then the phone will reboot, you'll lose TWRP, and you'll have to go back to step #14.
    16. Simultaneously press Volume-Up (not Volume-Down), Home, & then Power until the phone boots into the TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) custom recovery. If you do this correctly (and it's easy to do it incorrectly) then in the upper left corner of the Samsung splash screen, you'll see "RECOVERY BOOTING", "RECOVERY IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING" & "Set Warranty Bit: Recovery", and then you'll clearly see the TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP) menu. Note that if you don't push the buttons correctly (which is easy to do) and you accidentally boot into Android or into the stock recovery, then go back to step #14.
    17. From the TWRP menu, select "Install".
    18. Then tap "Select Storage", choose "Micro SDCard", and hit "OK".
    19. Browse to SuperSU-v2.78.zip or Magisk v.14.0.zip which should be on your SD-card (from step #5) and select it.
    20. Check "Reboot after install" and "Swipe to confirm Flash". When it reboots, you should see "Set Warranty Bit" in the upper left corner of the Samsung splash screen.
    21. After the phone reboots, go into the app drawer. You should see "SuperSU Free" which indicates that you're most likely rooted.
    22. However, you should probably double-check that you're rooted by installing a root-checker like Root Check (by JR Rummy Apps) from the Play Store. Open it. Grant it root access (hopefully, if you're rooted). Consider optionally installing "Busy Box" from within the "Root Check" app since the Busy Box Linux-utilities are used by many root apps.
    23. Profit. You can now install root apps like Titanium Backup & X-plore File Manager. And you can do a (Nandroid) "Backup" from within TWRP which I highly recommend, since it lets you restore your phone in case the phone's system software ever gets corrupted. I recommend that you also consider installing the Xposed Framework, which lets you add cool features to your phone that previously were only available by installing custom ROMs. If you install Xposed, I recommend installing XTouchWiz.

11/26/17 UPDATE: Instructions for unrooting, upgrading firmware, & optionally re-rooting, perhaps with Magisk.
    On 11/25 my daughter wanted me to unroot her phone so that she could play Animal Crossing, which won't run on rooted phones. I did some research and found that Animal Crossing (and other games) will run if rooted with Magisk. She had been rooted on a Sprint Galaxy S5 with SuperSU v2.78 on an outdated Sprint Android 6.0.1 firmware version (G900PVPU3CPL2). Using Odin, I was able to upgrade her to Sprint's latest OS version of Android 6.0.1 (G900PVPS3CQD1). Doing so was like taking an over-the-air Sprint upgrade in that all of her settings, desktops, apps and stuff remained. Upgrading the OS automatically removed root. But I re-rooted with Magisk. She was then able to install Animal Crossing from the Play Store and play it. Instructions on how to do such an unroot (so that you can do a re-root) follow:

1. Download to your PC your desired stock Sprint firmware version from your favorite repository site. I downloaded the latest Sprint CDMA firmware (G900PVPS3CQD1) from Sammoble.com.
    2. Follow steps 1-11 in the rooting instructions above.
    3. From Odin, browse to the Sprint firmware version that you downloaded to your PC. (Wherever you stored it.)
    4. In the Odin "options" make sure "Auto Reboot" is checked.
    5. From Odin, select "Start". Odin will show the downloading progress (and you'll see a progress bar on the phone's screen). Then Odin should indicate downloading success. E.g. Odin v3.10.7 displays "PASS!" in a green box when it's finished downloading. Your phone will then restart. It will take a long time. It will hang for a long time at the Sprint logo screen, and then it will go into upgrade mode where you'll see gears turning on a green background. When it finishes, you'll be upgraded and unrooted. Then to re-root, follow the rooting instructions above.

Did you turn off the "Reactivation Lock" under settings/security? That tripped me up at first, especially because I couldn't remember my Samsung password. It stopped Odin from working until I unchecked in settings. Sprint Galaxy S5 G900PVPS3CQA2 hw: G900P.04
    Mine says bianary blocked by A/L
    Hello thanks for this guide! It worked great. Question how would I go back to non-root? I'm on 6.0.1. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA-Developers mobile app
    Redo the instructions and leave off the recovery and supersu steps. Supersu also has a remove root option too. Under settings in supersu, scroll down to clean up, click full unroot

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Hate to dredge up a dead thread, buuuut...

My now old S5 is no longer my daily driver. I had previously rooted with your method, but decided to try LineageOS for a bit - until I couldn't download anything from the Play store.

So, I followed your instructions again, however, the phone seems stuck on the "Samsung" screen after flashing the ROM from Sammobile. Any idea how long it should be there? I haven't yet gotten around to reflashing TWRP and re-rooting.