[TUTORIAL] Unlock the bootloader of Meizu PRO 5

Search This thread

PRO5

Jan 28, 2016
Hi everybody,

UPDATE: Multiple people have confirmed that this method indeed unlocks the bootloader of the Meizu PRO 5, but only the international version.

I'm a beta tester of the international firmware of the PRO 5, meaning that I receive unofficial builds with new features before those are released as a stable firmware for normal users. I was playing around with a recent build and noticed that I was able to unlock the bootloader. I've linked the firmware in the steps below, it is not restricted to my device as far as I know. It might be restricted to the international model, but I'm not sure about that.

Please do not create mirrors of the firmware or replicate this method on other websites. If you want to share this method with people on other websites, please just re-direct them to this page.

Steps:
1. Download the firmware via MediaFire or Mega. Again: please do not mirror or hotlink this download.
2. Back-up your data. You might be able to install the firmware and unlock the bootloader without getting your data wiped, but it's better to be safe.
3. Install the update.zip firmware. I chose to wipe all data during the installation.
4. Turn the device off and long-press the power and volume-down button simultaneously until you boot into fastboot mode.
5. Make sure you installed ADB and fastboot on your PC. Check if your PC recognizes your PRO 5 in fastboot mode by using the command:
Code:
fastboot devices
6. Execute the fastboot command to unlock the bootloader:
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
5p9Puvy.png

7. You need to re-enter fastboot mode to see if you've successfully unlocked the bootloader. You can do that by long-pressing the power and volume-down button while in fastboot mode.
8. Back in fastboot mode, the word 'locked' should now have changed to 'unlocked'. This means you've successfully unlocked the bootloader.
AkqjrbW.png

FAQ:
Is it necessary to do a clean install when flashing this firmware?
- I only tried a clean install, but I don't think it is necessary.

Does unlocking the bootloader wipe your data?
- It didn't for me, but I can't guarantee it won't for others. Make back-ups.

Will this also work on the Chinese version of the PRO 5?
- No, it will not.

Please hit the thanks button if it worked :)

Last edited:

PRO5

Jan 28, 2016
Can you post some screen of : fastboot getvar all

thx ;)

Doesn't show anything for me:
Oq87HSc.png

Braaavooo :)

Is this working for Meizu MX5?

Sent from my MX5 using Tapatalk

This firmware doesn't work on MX5, but maybe you can find some beta testers for MX5 and ask them if their beta firmware also has this possibility. I don't think official firmwares will have this possibility, only the version sent to testers.

Hi :)
Is this beta version of Global aka International version?
If true - can you provide a list of languages, maybe you have 5.6.1.26 daily?

Thanks in advance :)

Yup, it's the global/international version and it supports all the languages: Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Chinese (traditional Hong Kong), Arabic, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, English (US), Estonian, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Turkish and Ukrainian. Here are two photos:
Dns42ib.png
0yimLNZ.png

The version is 5.6.1.19 daily, it's the newest version I have.

Last edited:

isko01

Apr 4, 2015
im using every time Beta version. wher is option to unlock bootloader??? :/

Last edited:

PRO5

Jan 28, 2016
Hey, tried the same thing on my MX5 with last CBT (im a tester)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0fvj3jjrckz09i/4e6ecdb3-921a-4bb0-a5cf-7ccca793d8df.jpg?dl=0
Pressed UP to unlock and nothing happend.
I haven't come accross this, so I'm not sure what the reason is. In my test firmware, it just works via simple terminal commands. Maybe they left this open in this build for the PRO 5 and sent it to me without realizing it. The download link they initially sent me is now offline, so they've probably realized it. I checked previous builds and it doesn't work in those versions, so I think this was a one-time-thing and won't be possible in other builds on any device. Nonetheless, PRO 5 users can now unlock their bootloader by flashing this firmware and then unlocking it.
im using every time Beta version. wher is option to unlock bootloader??? :/

Are you using an open beta from Meizu's website, or are you in Meizu's private testing group which receives unofficial builds, like I am for the PRO 5? Even if you are in the testing group, all I can say is that it works for PRO 5, it might not be the same with the unofficial builds the MX5 testing group receives.

Last edited:

TheUltrametricSpace

Aug 27, 2015
Tromso
I haven't come accross this, so I'm not sure what the reason is. In my test firmware, it just works via simple terminal commands. Maybe they left this open in this build for the PRO 5 and sent it to me without realizing it. The download link they initially sent me is now offline, so they've probably realized it. I checked previous builds and it doesn't work in those versions, so I think this was a one-time-thing and won't be possible in other builds on any device. Nonetheless, PRO 5 users can now unlock their bootloader by flashing this firmware and then unlocking it.

Are you using an open beta from Meizu's website, or are you in Meizu's private testing group which receives unofficial builds, like I am for the PRO 5? Even if you are in the testing group, all I can say is that it works for PRO 5, it might not be the same with the unofficial builds the MX5 testing group receives.
There is no global beta, and Meizu said there won't be one before mid of February the earliest.

Are you 100% certain that it's a leaked beta? Or could it also be a leaked engineering firmware, so a pre beta or similar?

Naphtha

Jan 2, 2015
Crotone
There is no global beta, and Meizu said there won't be one before mid of February the earliest.

Are you 100% certain that it's a leaked beta? Or could it also be a leaked engineering firmware, so a pre beta or similar?

@PRO5
Hey man unpack your firmware and flash your recovery from fastboot. If work is unlocked (or semi-unlocked).

Inviato dal mio MX4 utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:

naboleo

Aug 4, 2006
Can't be used with "A" version :
- update.zip => corrupted firmware (means not matching)
- manual update => denied

Attachments

• adb.png
    adb.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,513

TheUltrametricSpace

Aug 27, 2015
Tromso

The Serial Number of Global devices has a H on the 3rd position.

It's always 12H345678... and usually $ fastboot devices shows the Serial Number of the devices connected, at least on Ubuntu it does.
In the first screenshot that's not the case.

06f is a chinese device, if it's actually a pro 5 well... that's the next pending question

Edit:
And there is more, do it. The guy claims to be a beta tester for the international firmware! In Flyme 5 there is no international firmware!
It's called global Beta, and I know this because I am in the MX5 global beta team, with 7 more people. And only the MX5 has a global Beta team right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Asiier

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everybody,

UPDATE: Multiple people have confirmed that this method indeed unlocks the bootloader of the Meizu PRO 5, but only the international version.

I'm a beta tester of the international firmware of the PRO 5, meaning that I receive unofficial builds with new features before those are released as a stable firmware for normal users. I was playing around with a recent build and noticed that I was able to unlock the bootloader. I've linked the firmware in the steps below, it is not restricted to my device as far as I know. It might be restricted to the international model, but I'm not sure about that.

Please do not create mirrors of the firmware or replicate this method on other websites. If you want to share this method with people on other websites, please just re-direct them to this page.

Steps:
    1. Download the firmware via MediaFire or Mega. Again: please do not mirror or hotlink this download.
    2. Back-up your data. You might be able to install the firmware and unlock the bootloader without getting your data wiped, but it's better to be safe.
    3. Install the update.zip firmware. I chose to wipe all data during the installation.
    4. Turn the device off and long-press the power and volume-down button simultaneously until you boot into fastboot mode.
    5. Make sure you installed ADB and fastboot on your PC. Check if your PC recognizes your PRO 5 in fastboot mode by using the command:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    6. Execute the fastboot command to unlock the bootloader:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    5p9Puvy.png

7. You need to re-enter fastboot mode to see if you've successfully unlocked the bootloader. You can do that by long-pressing the power and volume-down button while in fastboot mode.
    8. Back in fastboot mode, the word 'locked' should now have changed to 'unlocked'. This means you've successfully unlocked the bootloader.
    AkqjrbW.png

FAQ:
    Is it necessary to do a clean install when flashing this firmware?
    - I only tried a clean install, but I don't think it is necessary.

Does unlocking the bootloader wipe your data?
    - It didn't for me, but I can't guarantee it won't for others. Make back-ups.

Will this also work on the Chinese version of the PRO 5?
    - No, it will not.

Please hit the thanks button if it worked :)
    Man that looks incredibly complicated. The broken English when using Google Translate doesn't help matters either. .

No matter 3 or 4gb all Chinese versions can be convert to International now.
    No need to download G converted image version and install it.
    Just follow my tutorial and convert your phone easily to I version:
    Important thing is version of busybox and SuperSU
    You must download it from files I attached and install them.

First you need to root your chinese version pro5 by creating flyme account on setting menu.
    Now you need to install “SuperSU_pro_v2.0.5.apk” (attached below)
    Note: if you have Super SU installed on your phone go to settings tab of the app and click on “Reinstall” then reboot your phone and install SuperSU Pro (If you have busybox inestalled also delete the app)
    Install “Seu.chainfire.supersu.256.apk” and open it and install derivers in normal way and reboot
    Install “ru.meefik.busybox.apk”. Open the app and grant root access and install it.
    Install “com.jrummy.root.browserfree.apk”, Open it and grant root access to it and go to [/dev/block/platform/15570000.ufs/by-name/proinfo] click on “proinfo” then “open as” then “text file” then “RB Text Editor” Change “M576_mobile_public” to “M576_intl_official” (Do not add/delete anything to those I wrote just change “mobile_public” to “intl_official” then Save it and reboot
    Now check proinfo file in step 5 again and see if it’s intl_official
    Congratulation you have a International version of phone now and can flash Global roms in your phone.
    eu.chainfire.supersu.256.apk
    com.jrummy.root.browserfree.apk
    supersu_pro_v2.0.5.apk
    ru.meefik.busybox.apk
    4pda change ID manual on English

I translated 4pda manual to English. Pay attention - I am not responsible for... bla-bla-bla. Standart disclaimer

0. Install Official firmware (update 5.1.3.0A.zip for Chinese phones) from meizu site
    1. Install ROOT using flyme account
    2. Install SuperSU_pro_v2.0.5.apk and after - eu.chainfire.supersu.256.apk
    3.1 Install terminal for android
    3.2 Download image 5.1.3.0G system.img and place it to the root of internal memory
    3.3 Disable sleep mode timeout
    3.4 Launch terminal and run “su”, allow root permission. Prompt have to change to “#”
    3.5 “dd if=/storage/emulated/0/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/15570000.ufs/by-name/system”. Be carefull!!! It takes 5 minutes at least. Next line “#” will appear.
    3.6 reboot and wipe (settings->about->memory->wipe)
    4. Install ROOT using flyme account
    5. Install bisybox and allow root
    6. Install root browser and all applied with him stuff
    7. Open file “/dev/block/platform/15570000.ufs/by-name/proinfo “ with RB Text Editor (part of root browser)
    8. In editor replace “machine_type=M576_mobile_public” to “ machine_type=M576_intl_official” Pay attention: 13 symbols “mobile_public” have to be replaced to 13 symbols “intl_official”
    9. Now you can unlock bootloader
    All necessary tools attached
    Guys i've a question ; if unlock the bootloader, what is the advantage?? Because for now there isn't nothing for our phone... No custom Rom no custom recovery etc

Inviato dal mio PRO 5 utilizzando Tapatalk
    Technically there are no advantages. Yet. It's just good knowing we can start using custom jobs soon. Hopefully.
    Sorry, no offense here, it would save many times to everybody if stuff has been tested before writing wrong assumptions.
    Zip can be edited (means remove, replace, add files) and flash without problem. There is 2 prerequisite to be able to : either sign the zip (actually only Meizu can) or have an unlocked bootloader (+custom recovery which helps a lot).
    Unlocked bootloader doesn't check the signature.... Locked one does.
    Firmware corrupted message just indicated the bootloader is still locked (in reality signature mismatches content and/or file isn't compatible with device id) and not information about zip functional content
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone