[TUTURIAL] BIGINNERS GUIDE TO EXTRACT FTF FILES[ics]

was this tutorial helpful

• Total voters
Search This thread

roninnbaby

Complete method to extract system files from ftf files of xperia devices for ics​

(For gb u can use nero young method which is simple, but for ics u will get system files from ftf by this method (for windows)u will not get extracted folder by nero young method )​

whom is this tutorial for?
For those who need exact system files from FTF of SONY XPERIA smart phone

TOOLS NEEDED

Flash tool for xperia devices (use flash tool version v 0.9.0.0 get it from here:http://androxyde.github.com/)

unyaffs tool (get it from here : http://www.mediafire.com/?h631v46n8v6efe3 )

METHOD :

step 1:

Open the ftf file using winrar

openftfwithwinzip.png

step 2:

Extract which ever file u need (in this case i need system folder so i extracted system.sin )

extractsystemfolderfrom.png

step 3:

Open flash tool and click advanced option and then click sin editor

openflashtool.png

step 4:

Go to system.sin file from where u had extracted and open file

systemfolderandopen.png

step 5:

Click dump data option

clickdumpdata.png

Wait for it to finish the process

dataextractionfinished.png

step 6:

After finishing the process u will get two files in the folder where u r having original system.sin (one will be system.partinfo and other will be system.yaffs2 ) so tht u get yaffs2 file continue with the next step

onlyneedsystemyaffs2.png

step 7:

Download unyaffs tool from the link provided first and extract unyaffs.exe and cygin1.dll to c drive of ur system by making a folder named "unyaffs"

extracttounyaffsfolder.png

step 8:

Go to the folder where u get system.yaffs2 ( the file we get though the flash tool process) and copy the file

copysystem.png

step 9:

Paste it to the unyaffs folder in "c"

pasteitinunyaffsfolder.png

step 10:

While u are in unyaffs folder press shift + right mouse button then only u will get "open command window here option", click that.... Other wise u can go to this folder using usual command method

opencomandwindow.png

step 11:

U will get command window inside unyaffs folder

commandwindowlikethis.png

step 12:

U should type inside the command window "unyaffs.exe system.yaffs2" (app name)(space)(name of the file u need to extract, if u need to extract kernel use tht file name here) and then press enter

typein.png

step 13:

Wait for some time " until u see end of image " and u can see the extracted folders appearing in the unyaffs folder

endwu.png

through this method u can get any .sin file inside ur ftf

thankyou for reading my tutorial

;) DONT FORGET TO PRESS THANKS IF I HAD HELPED U ;)

Last edited:

juhn777

Aug 27, 2012
Okay, i have a serious question

First of all, yes i have read in TONS of articles, blogs, and many forums about the problem i have, and it could be useful for everyone if we get sorted out.

See, my phone has locked bootloader. even if i unlock it with s1tool, it wont enter fastboot mode (because fastboot mode is disabled, and no one knows how to enable it apart from paying someone with stool or omnius. and YES, I DID THE PROCEDURE PRESSING THE CORRECT BUTTON AND EVERYTHING, IT'S NOT ABOUT ME NOT KNOWING HOW TO FASTBOOT). so, even if i unlock my bootloader, i cannot flash kernels because i can't enter fastboot mode.

BUT!

My phone is rooted, which means I can flash roms and practically anything that's not a kernel through recovery mode (x-parts) in zip files, right? So, here's my question:

What if I extract the contents of the kernel IMG file, and then make a flashable zip file out of it? Would it work to flash my kernel? I would have tried it before asking, believe me, but I do not know how to extract a IMG kernel file

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

un.Known

Sep 12, 2011
Damascus
What if I extract the contents of the kernel IMG file, and then make a flashable zip file out of it? Would it work to flash my kernel? I would have tried it before asking, believe me, but I do not know how to extract a IMG kernel file

Thanks in advance

Whether it works or not ,IDK ,You should Ask some Dev whom works with Kernels ,I guess there's a reason why in sony devices we Always use .img files instead of .zip when it comes to kernels
Anyway
to Extract IMG Files You can try The following programs (Windows)
Alcohol 120% , UltraISO , Nero
you don't have to buy anything ,you can work it out with trial :good:

Reactions: Mo3tasm

roninnbaby

Okay, i have a serious question

First of all, yi have read in TONS of articles, blogs, and many forums about the problem i have, and it could be useful for everyone if we get sorted out.

See, my phone has locked bootloader. even if i unlock it with s1tool, it wont enter fastboot mode (because fastboot mode is disabled, and no one knows how to enable it apart from paying someone with stool or omnius. and YES, I DID THE PROCEDURE PRESSING THE CORRECT BUTTON AND EVERYTHING, IT'S NOT ABOUT ME NOT KNOWING HOW TO FASTBOOT). so, even if i unlock my bootloader, i cannot flash kernels because i can't enter fastboot mode.

BUT!

My phone is rooted, which means I can flash roms and practically anything that's not a kernel through recovery mode (x-parts) in zip files, right? So, here's my question:

Thanks in advance

hey bro check whtr ur bootloader is unlocked with the unofficial bootloader unlocking SE tool..

juhn777

Aug 27, 2012
hey bro check whtr ur bootloader is unlocked with the unofficial bootloader unlocking SE tool..

man, i did verify if my bootloader was unlocked through both s1tool and flashtool, both tell me i have unlocked bootloader (give me a code like r384u28 instead of R384u28) so yes I HAVE UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER, but can't enter fastboot anyway :crying: for ****s sake

i would pay for it to be unlocked, really, but i live in Chile and no one knows **** about anything around here. if anyone could do it for me, i could make a bank transfer or something since i don't (and can't) have a business card or something like that (because of the ****ty laws around here, requiring people to win lots of money before getting a credit card or stuff like that).

anyone knows what can i do? ):

roninnbaby

man, i did verify if my bootloader was unlocked through both s1tool and flashtool, both tell me i have unlocked bootloader (give me a code like r384u28 instead of R384u28) so yes I HAVE UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER, but can't enter fastboot anyway :crying: for ****s sake

i would pay for it to be unlocked, really, but i live in Chile and no one knows **** about anything around here. if anyone could do it for me, i could make a bank transfer or something since i don't (and can't) have a business card or something like that (because of the ****ty laws around here, requiring people to win lots of money before getting a credit card or stuff like that).

anyone knows what can i do? ):

ho did u tried to enter to fast boot???

juhn777

Aug 27, 2012
ho did u tried to enter to fast boot???

i stated in a previous post that i did the correct procedure to enter fastboot, so again, here's what i do/did:

-before everything, i installed busybox, correct fastboot drivers, correct phone drivers, proper adb drivers, etc
-flashed some roms with both flashtool and cwm, so my cable is not the problem, neither is my cellphone hardware since i can flash stuff
-many, many times, and in many, many different ways i turned off my phone, pressed the menu key and without letting go the menu key i connected the usb cable (also tried vol up, vol down, home key, etc)
-never heard any "connected hardware" sound from windows
-never got the blue light for more than 2 sec, then it started charging the phone instead, with green light

so yes, I DO KNOW THE PROCEDURE, really, i'm not that noob you know, been trying this for months actually

that's the problem, because i've tried everything and nothing seems to work, so looks like i gotta pay someone with wotan server, se tool 2, omnius or something like that, but here in chile there is NO ONE, and i really mean NO ONE who knows even what those programs do

and here i come to you my dear friends... thanks to all who try to help me

roninnbaby

i stated in a previous post that i did the correct procedure to enter fastboot, so again, here's what i do/did:

-before everything, i installed busybox, correct fastboot drivers, correct phone drivers, proper adb drivers, etc
-flashed some roms with both flashtool and cwm, so my cable is not the problem, neither is my cellphone hardware since i can flash stuff
-many, many times, and in many, many different ways i turned off my phone, pressed the menu key and without letting go the menu key i connected the usb cable (also tried vol up, vol down, home key, etc)
-never heard any "connected hardware" sound from windows
-never got the blue light for more than 2 sec, then it started charging the phone instead, with green light

so yes, I DO KNOW THE PROCEDURE, really, i'm not that noob you know, been trying this for months actually

that's the problem, because i've tried everything and nothing seems to work, so looks like i gotta pay someone with wotan server, se tool 2, omnius or something like that, but here in chile there is NO ONE, and i really mean NO ONE who knows even what those programs do

and here i come to you my dear friends... thanks to all who try to help me

hey dont be angry...i try to help u only ... so be patient... otherwise none in this forum will help u... because no one is having responsiblity to serve u ,,,... ok...
actually the problem is with ur bootloader...i think so ...we cant give u a complete help until u give correct answers for wht they ask...trial and error method is only one possible in this field...u try to unlock the bootloader via official tool once more and check whtr ur both "r" is in small letters...

Reactions: ro_33k

juhn777

Aug 27, 2012
yes, sorry... i didn't mean to be rude, i was just clarifying it's not the common problem every noob has, it's something more than that

i cannot unlock via the official way (sony site, right?) because my phone says "unlock bootloader allowed: no", so it won't let me (won't enter fastboot anyways)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Complete method to extract system files from ftf files of xperia devices for ics​

(For gb u can use nero young method which is simple, but for ics u will get system files from ftf by this method (for windows)u will not get extracted folder by nero young method )​

whom is this tutorial for?
    For those who need exact system files from FTF of SONY XPERIA smart phone

TOOLS NEEDED

Flash tool for xperia devices (use flash tool version v 0.9.0.0 get it from here:http://androxyde.github.com/)

unyaffs tool (get it from here : http://www.mediafire.com/?h631v46n8v6efe3 )

METHOD :

step 1:

Open the ftf file using winrar

openftfwithwinzip.png

step 2:

Extract which ever file u need (in this case i need system folder so i extracted system.sin )

extractsystemfolderfrom.png

step 3:

Open flash tool and click advanced option and then click sin editor

openflashtool.png

step 4:

Go to system.sin file from where u had extracted and open file

systemfolderandopen.png

step 5:

Click dump data option

clickdumpdata.png

Wait for it to finish the process

dataextractionfinished.png

step 6:

After finishing the process u will get two files in the folder where u r having original system.sin (one will be system.partinfo and other will be system.yaffs2 ) so tht u get yaffs2 file continue with the next step

onlyneedsystemyaffs2.png

step 7:

Download unyaffs tool from the link provided first and extract unyaffs.exe and cygin1.dll to c drive of ur system by making a folder named "unyaffs"

extracttounyaffsfolder.png

step 8:

Go to the folder where u get system.yaffs2 ( the file we get though the flash tool process) and copy the file

copysystem.png

step 9:

Paste it to the unyaffs folder in "c"

pasteitinunyaffsfolder.png

step 10:

While u are in unyaffs folder press shift + right mouse button then only u will get "open command window here option", click that.... Other wise u can go to this folder using usual command method

opencomandwindow.png

step 11:

U will get command window inside unyaffs folder

commandwindowlikethis.png

step 12:

U should type inside the command window "unyaffs.exe system.yaffs2" (app name)(space)(name of the file u need to extract, if u need to extract kernel use tht file name here) and then press enter

typein.png

step 13:

Wait for some time " until u see end of image " and u can see the extracted folders appearing in the unyaffs folder

endwu.png

through this method u can get any .sin file inside ur ftf

thankyou for reading my tutorial

;) DONT FORGET TO PRESS THANKS IF I HAD HELPED U ;)
    Hey man thanks for tut. Im using flashtool 9.8 and i dont need yaffs2 extractor you can extract yaffs2 files with flashtool too (Tools>Extractors>Yaffs2) ;)
    Super Thanks Bro
    This tutorial is Very Helpful and Should Be Pinned
    Copying files from phone to PC was Killing Me :D

Thanks in advance

Whether it works or not ,IDK ,You should Ask some Dev whom works with Kernels ,I guess there's a reason why in sony devices we Always use .img files instead of .zip when it comes to kernels
    Anyway
    to Extract IMG Files You can try The following programs (Windows)
    Alcohol 120% , UltraISO , Nero
    you don't have to buy anything ,you can work it out with trial :good:
    For Windows download diskinternals.com/linux-reader and mount (Drives->Mount Image-> Raw Disk Image or press Ctrl+M) the system.ext4 .