Two New Android Gaming Devices, Xperia Play alternatives

Search This thread
So earlier this week I bought a Xiaomi Mi-1s on eBay. Xiaomi is the company that created the Miui from android. So I have been playing with this phone. It is way more powerful then the Play. I loaded up the same game and thebacreen on the mew phone is so much brighter and sharper. High and bright colors. Never mind the CPU/gpu. Bit anyways tried to play the game on the touchacreen and instantly remembered how much I hate touchscreen. So I loaded up. A moga game. MC4 to be exact. But then I realize how horrible and a pita it is to use android carry the moga controller. Also the moga kept disconnecting and them would not reconnect. So just to setup to play a game with touchsreen is terrible. The Play. Load the game slide out the controls and play. Easy as that. No additional steps or seperate device require. Needless to say I will be selling the Xiaomi phone. Or perhaps. I will sell my wife's phone and give her this phone as it is a Chinese phone imported here.

So again. Of you game and don't want to deal with Bluetooth devices that wont work. The Play is still the best option 2+ years later.

Sent from my R800at using xda premium

mehdi.moha

Dec 21, 2010
Vaxjo
So earlier this week I bought a Xiaomi Mi-1s on eBay. Xiaomi is the company that created the Miui from android. So I have been playing with this phone. It is way more powerful then the Play. I loaded up the same game and thebacreen on the mew phone is so much brighter and sharper. High and bright colors. Never mind the CPU/gpu. Bit anyways tried to play the game on the touchacreen and instantly remembered how much I hate touchscreen. So I loaded up. A moga game. MC4 to be exact. But then I realize how horrible and a pita it is to use android carry the moga controller. Also the moga kept disconnecting and them would not reconnect. So just to setup to play a game with touchsreen is terrible. The Play. Load the game slide out the controls and play. Easy as that. No additional steps or seperate device require. Needless to say I will be selling the Xiaomi phone. Or perhaps. I will sell my wife's phone and give her this phone as it is a Chinese phone imported here.

So again. Of you game and don't want to deal with Bluetooth devices that wont work. The Play is still the best option 2+ years later.

I'm agree with you %100

i put my post before ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2440381&page=2 post #19 ) reading your comments here and found out how much your opinion is same as me :highfive:

xperia play is still the one ! me , same as you , can't use MOGA or any other external gamepad (( specially on my office !!! ))
the best phone for game is a phone with a hidden dedicated gamepad

i hope someday sony or samsung or any other famous brand produce that

edit :
I NEVER TRUST CHINESE COMPANIES

korrectmethod

Aug 23, 2010

What if I told you your xplay was assembled in china. (as most of our electronics are).

Look at the inside of your battery for the xplay..."made in china". Now look under the battery at the phone itself..."made in china"...

Sent from my R800i using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
I'm agree with you %100

i put my post before ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2440381&page=2 post #19 ) reading your comments here and found out how much your opinion is same as me :highfive:

xperia play is still the one ! me , same as you , can't use MOGA or any other external gamepad (( specially on my office !!! ))

edit :

90+% of the worlds products are made in China, the PLAY was made in China. And just becuase its not a Sony or Samsung doesnt mean its automatically garbage. In fact this phone is extremely well built, the Xiaomi Mi-1S. I am very impressed with it. And I wasnt saying it was junk, just saying that if I want to play games the PLAY is the way to go.

So again, not saying everything made in CH is good but very few items now a days are not made in China.

All major manufactures use China to build their products.

Edit - My wife was born in China. They made her pretty good.... lol.

Last edited:
Is this phone (the Xiaomi Mi-1S.) in english? I'm half tempted as I need an upgrade from the PLAY, its getting on abit and Im not on a high budget...

Yes it is in English or Chinese. And in fact whats nice about it is Xiaomi gives you the option in Developer mode to auto root it. It just gives you a warning and if you select okay it roots it for you. Also every friday night Xiaomi issues out a weekly firmware update to the Miui software which is quite nice.

I bought a new battery plate as the one mine came with was a cheap aftermarket one. Soon as I get the OEM battery plate I will be selling it on eBay. The phone is very nice and smooth and the screen is excellent, whites really pop and blacks are really black. Here are the specs of the phone:

GENERAL 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
SIM Mini-SIM
Announced 2012, August
Status Available. Released 2012, August
BODY Dimensions 125 x 63 x 11.9 mm (4.92 x 2.48 x 0.47 in)
Weight 149 g (5.26 oz)
DISPLAY Type TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size 480 x 854 pixels, 4.0 inches (~245 ppi pixel density)
Multitouch Yes
SOUND Alert types Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones
Loudspeaker Yes
3.5mm jack Yes
MEMORY Card slot microSD, up to 32 GB
Internal 4 GB ROM, 1 GB RAM
DATA GPRS Yes
EDGE Yes
Speed HSDPA 14.4 Mbps, HSUPA 5.76 Mbps
WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi hotspot
Bluetooth Yes, v2.1 with A2DP
USB Yes, microUSB v2.0
CAMERA Primary 8 MP, 3264x2448 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
Features Geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection, image stabilization, HDR
Video Yes, 1080p@30fps
Secondary Yes, 2 MP
FEATURES OS Android OS, v4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
Chipset Qualcomm MSM8260 Snapdragon
CPU Dual-core 1.7 GHz Scorpion
GPU Adreno 220

Reactions: iRhyiku

|SavageD|

Dec 7, 2012
What if I told you your xplay was assembled in china. (as most of our electronics are).

Look at the inside of your battery for the xplay..."made in china". Now look under the battery at the phone itself..."made in china"...

Dude, are you like, from the matrix or something.

Reactions: JAY48
Hate to necro but DealExtreme has the JXD S7800B on sale with free shipping for $48

http://dx.com/p/jxd-s7800-7-capacit...-4-2-smart-handheld-game-console-black-255065

Buying one now.

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

Lame, price went to $98 in the last 10 minutes

Too late.... ordered one. Got my confirmation email, then a email detailing that the price listed was in error, figures, and that my order was cancelled/refunded. Although I read some were able to get there's at the price of $48 with free standard shipping...

Last edited:

BensJammin

Feb 15, 2008
Hate to necro but DealExtreme has the JXD S7800B on sale with free shipping for $48

http://dx.com/p/jxd-s7800-7-capacit...-4-2-smart-handheld-game-console-black-255065

Buying one now.

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

Too late.... ordered one. Got my confirmation email, then a email detailing that the price listed was in error, figures, and that my order was cancelled/refunded. Although I read some were able to get there's at the price of $48 with free standard shipping...

I ordered one at the cheap price earlier (£30 for me), payment processed etc, and have had no cancellation or refund emails yet. Lets see if DX comes through :fingers-crossed:

I made a best offer on a Much i5 yesterday too so I could end up with 2 more chinese tablets now, although if the Much is ok I will use it as a giant phone if I get it!

Buying one now.

Ah snap. That would be sweet. Let me know if you get your shipped from DX

Dilemina

Feb 16, 2012
I ordered one at the cheap price earlier (£30 for me), payment processed etc, and have had no cancellation or refund emails yet. Lets see if DX comes through :fingers-crossed:

I made a best offer on a Much i5 yesterday too so I could end up with 2 more chinese tablets now, although if the Much is ok I will use it as a giant phone if I get it!

I like the Much i5. But the HDMI output has a lag when gaming. I was trying NES.EMU with Mike Tyson's punch out, it wasn't able to dodge punches effectively.

Playing on the handheld is quite nice though. And the screen is bright and colorful and big when comparing it to the Xperia Play.

Hope you get a chance to try it out. I don't think it is quite as powerful as the jxd device, but hey, its a phone, and it has now replaced my xperia play.

Sent from my MUCH i5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BensJammin

Feb 15, 2008
Ah snap. That would be sweet. Let me know if you get your shipped from DX

Just an update @ozzmanj1 - Mine has been shipped from DX, have a tracking number and all that. Wont be 100% convinced until it is in my hands but it seems promising! Not sure what I will do with it if it arrives though as I have the Much i5 now!

Reactions: ozzmanj1
Just an update @ozzmanj1 - Mine has been shipped from DX, have a tracking number and all that. Wont be 100% convinced until it is in my hands but it seems promising! Not sure what I will do with it if it arrives though as I have the Much i5 now!

You could always ebay it. Open it make sure it works, and if you list it online, state you opened it to test the contents for full functionality. And if you do stick it online post a link here if you could. Thanks. for the update

iRhyiku

Jan 23, 2011
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Google Pixel Watch 2
Any alternatives suitable to phone usage? As in portable? Looking at some of the sizes they are more tablet sized.. not something I'm after...
My Xperia PLAY seems to be dying, as its getting slower even if I go back to stock so i need a new phone, but I can't have one without physical controls (Advance Wars just isnt the same :L)

Biggest I would go is the size of the Galaxy Note 3. Oh and it has to have a nice DPAD and keys, analogue sticks are something I dont really care for though (though may be nice for N64 or PSX action). Any suggestions to suit my needs? thanks :good:

Also a place where I can get them in the UK would be appreciated :) thanks

Last edited:

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
Any alternatives suitable to phone usage? As in portable? Looking at some of the sizes they are more tablet sized.. not something I'm after...
My Xperia PLAY seems to be dying, as its getting slower even if I go back to stock so i need a new phone, but I can't have one without physical controls (Advance Wars just isnt the same :L)

Biggest I would go is the size of the Galaxy Note 3. Oh and it has to have a nice DPAD and keys, analogue sticks are something I dont really care for though (though may be nice for N64 or PSX action). Any suggestions to suit my needs? thanks :good:

Also a place where I can get them in the UK would be appreciated :) thanks

Now a days your best option will be a newer phone and a clip on controller like the moga. I'd suggest nexus 5 for the great unlocked price. It's a best at gaming. But I've heard the moto g is pretty decent as well for its extremely low cost as an unlocked phone. You probably won't find a new phone like the xperia play. Just a bunch if ugly tablets that'll never match up to it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

iRhyiku

Jan 23, 2011
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Google Pixel Watch 2
Now a days your best option will be a newer phone and a clip on controller like the moga. I'd suggest nexus 5 for the great unlocked price. It's a best at gaming. But I've heard the moto g is pretty decent as well for its extremely low cost as an unlocked phone. You probably won't find a new phone like the xperia play. Just a bunch if ugly tablets that'll never match up to it.

That is a shame.. using those clip on controllers suck imo, syncing them up everytime I wanna quick game.. or leaving them synced constantly and draining the battery of both devices quickly :(
Not my idea of a good portable gaming phone if you ask me ><

That is a shame.. using those clip on controllers suck imo, syncing them up everytime I wanna quick game.. or leaving them synced constantly and draining the battery of both devices quickly :(
Not my idea of a good portable gaming phone if you ask me ><

I just switched to a nexus 5 and a moga hero. The new mogas are works better then last years original I will agree that the xperia play is best for its convenience. But can't deny how insanely powerful and fast the N5 is. Plus the new mogas have built in battery to charge your phone while you play.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

iRhyiku

Jan 23, 2011
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Google Pixel Watch 2
I just switched to a nexus 5 and a moga hero. The new mogas are works better then last years original I will agree that the xperia play is best for its convenience. But can't deny how insanely powerful and fast the N5 is. Plus the new mogas have built in battery to charge your phone while you play.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yeah I was gonna get the Nexus 5 it looks like an amazing phone.. Are there any controllers out there that will hide away under the phone? Looking at the Moga Hero, the clip in the middle looks like it can flip to cover the controllerand have the phone resting on top of it.
After researching i find this isnt the case :/
I dont wanna be carrying around my phone and an accessory in case I want to game for 5mins waiting in line or something..

Or maybe I'm just to greedy ><

EDIT:
Kinda like the BladePad for the iPhone... But I really don't wanna leave android ><

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nothing like xplay!!!

Okay so I'm getting my Much i5s tomorrow!
    Anybody who's got this phone give me any tips of what I should do first to set it up? is it gonna be already in english or do i need to go into settings etc.

I'll record both my PLAY and MUCHi5s playing games and that later tomorrow and upload them then for comparisons for people, any games you want me to play for you say now so I can sort that out asap ^^
    Just wanted everyone to know that some videos were posted of the JXD s7800A (the weaker one), and it looks so freaking awesome. It seems to handle everything very well, and this is the weaker model. The device also goes portrait view no problem, which is totally sweet. Check this forum post http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/jxd-s7800-quad-core-will-be-released!/ to see some vids of emulation, the unboxing, and some nice photos of the device. I bought my s7800B a few weeks ago, and apparently it's delayed, which sucks, but I'm willing to wait since this thing is going to rule so much. Enjoy! I'm stoked to get mine!
    I'm agree with you %100

edit :

90+% of the worlds products are made in China, the PLAY was made in China. And just becuase its not a Sony or Samsung doesnt mean its automatically garbage. In fact this phone is extremely well built, the Xiaomi Mi-1S. I am very impressed with it. And I wasnt saying it was junk, just saying that if I want to play games the PLAY is the way to go.

So again, not saying everything made in CH is good but very few items now a days are not made in China.

All major manufactures use China to build their products.

Edit - My wife was born in China. They made her pretty good.... lol.