Two Questions RE: Maps & Shell

Search This thread

majatt

Jan 26, 2009
Is there a way to cache the map tiles offline? Mymaps is a nice app but when roaming its just too expensive to to walk around pulling data over roaming gprs/edge/3G. I'd like to be able to cache a large amount of tiles, disable data and move about.

Is there a way to enable a different shell with command recall like bash?

rich0

Jan 19, 2009
Is there a way to enable a different shell with command recall like bash?

If you have busybox installed its shell has recall and tab-completion. Just type busybox sh. No idea if you can make that the default (in theory just symlinking sh to busybox will work, but I'm not sure if anything on the phone depends on any androidisms in their default shell).

majatt

Jan 26, 2009
Thanks

I can use it just fine now, the help is greatly appreciated :D.

Can anyone tell me about forcing the caching of mymaps?

nodens2099

Jan 3, 2009
Is there a way to cache the map tiles offline? Mymaps is a nice app but when roaming its just too expensive to to walk around pulling data over roaming gprs/edge/3G. I'd like to be able to cache a large amount of tiles, disable data and move about.

There has been some discussion on it on the G1 hacker list : http://www.telesphoreo.org/pipermail/g1-hackers/2009-January/000568.html

It mainly involves moving cache for maps and making it read-only. I don't think new maps could be cached afterwards. The best would be to prevent deletion, not writing, but I didn't played with it myself so I can't tell what's possible or not.

The best way would be an approach similar to "mobile gmaps", that is an application using predownloaded maps tiles. However I think this is explicitely forbidden by google maps policy (accessing google maps web data from a third party app).

Last edited:

unrafa

Dec 17, 2008
Galicia
LineageOS
actually there is an app named "big planet" in the android market, you specify 100 Miles, and it will cache 100 miles from either google maps or other map providers to sdcard for offline use. I have been using the free version and its great, but i cant buy it because im from spain and i can not see paid apps.

Last edited: