TWRP 2.8.7.0 for i777/S959G [MTP] [ENCRYPTION]

Search This thread

cyril279

Jun 3, 2013
I've brought this here to keep this discussion in a more relevant thread.

Interesting ... I couldn't get PRODUCT_COPY_FILES to work on twrp.fstab. I wonder what I was doing wrong. I had to mess with the build/core/Makefile ;(

Using Slim's build source;
When I build the whole rom, that product_copy_files works as expected on the twrp.fstab.

When I "make -j# bootzip" I have to manually copy the twrp.fstab to the /out/recovery/boot/etc. I usually build the whole rom, so it hasn't been much of an issue, but it sounds like you made a change that allowed it to copy as expected?

dimoochka

Oct 9, 2014

When I build the whole rom, that product_copy_files works as expected on the twrp.fstab.

When I "make -j# bootzip" I have to manually copy the twrp.fstab to the /out/recovery/boot/etc. I usually build the whole rom, so it hasn't been much of an issue, but it sounds like you made a change that allowed it to copy as expected?

Yes, and it only took me 4 hours of grepping through the labyrinth of the build system! That makes sense - I guess PRODUCT_COPY_FILES doesn't work when you're just doing a partial build - I was using mka bootimage and had to manually copy the twrp.fstab every time, which was turning into a pain. 0001-twrp-setup.patch has the proper adjustments (including turning adb.secure off for recovery).

dimoochka

Oct 9, 2014

Aside from the basics (twrp.fstab, BoardConfig.mk, replacing bootable/recovery repo with omnirom/android_bootable_recovery), did you have to do anything special to get this working? For whatever reason my fully built ota .zip only installs a handful of files into /system when bootable/recovery is non-stock...

cyril279

Jun 3, 2013
Aside from the basics (twrp.fstab, BoardConfig.mk, replacing bootable/recovery repo with omnirom/android_bootable_recovery), did you have to do anything special to get this working? For whatever reason my fully built ota .zip only installs a handful of files into /system when bootable/recovery is non-stock...

As long recovery boots and works as expected, I have never paid attention to what the quantity or location of files being moved by the process.

To answer the initial question, because I was working with a non-omni rom, I did also need to make sure that a specific external_sepolicy commit was present, or the device would not boot properly into recovery, although [ adb devices ] recognized that the device was in recovery mode.

In looking for it, I also spotted another non-Omni-specific recovery commit aimed at CM, but I have not been using it for my builds.

-Cyril

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Holy crap!

Updated TWRP recovery at the latest version (2.8.7.0).

Features
    • MTP Support (!)
    • Can open AOSP-encrypted /data partitions (cannot yet decrypt /data partitions encrypted on nightlies dated after 10/10/15)
    • No embedded kernel (stored on a separate partition from recovery).
    • Tasty.

Supported Devices
    • SGH-S959G
    • i777 (probably, need someone with experience to test this out - see below*)

Cheers!

*i777 tester needed: This zip will flash to /dev/block/mmcblk0p6. On the the S959G the partition table looks like this:
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 KERNEL
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p6 RECOVERY
    I believe the i777 is identical. Please confirm before flashing and reply to me with your results.

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP 2.8.7.0 for i777/S959G [MTP] [ENCRYPTION], Tool/Utility for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-I777

Contributors
    dimoochka, mr-cook

Version Information

Created 2015-09-27
    Last Updated 2015-10-10
    As stated above, the partition tables for the i777, i9100, and s959g are exactly the same.
    HOWEVER
    The i777 and i9100 do not use the recovery block at all ( mmcblk06 ).
    Instead, recovery is packed in with the kernel, and flashes new each time a kernel is flashed.

Since this flashes the recovery to mmcblk0p5, I'm not sure that this will have any effect on the i777. (deserves a test though)

My Slim and Cyanide builds all include TWRP 2.8.7.0. but again, since the s959g is looking for the recovery at mmcblk0p6, it never knows of the awesomeness next-door.

Another partition ref post, performed on the i777:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2711426

keep building!
    -Cyril
    Tested on the i777:
    This package does not replace the recovery on the i777.
    Hi guys! and if I have the i777 and I want to flash the TWRP by CWM will not work?

@cyril279

I updated the OP post with an i777 version attached. This is still experimental, but has a high likelihood of working. Please be advised that the attached kernel is an older version of CM12.1 and is not compatible with nightlies built after October 10th.
    you tell me where I get a stable TWRP.zip?

Enviado desde mi XT890 usando XDA Forums
    Attached in the first post of this thread.