• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[TWRP 3.2.1-1] [ROOT] Tab A SM-T380/T385 - 10/02/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Unofficial release -TWRP recovery for the Galaxy Tab A - T380/T385, Qualcomm MSM8917

teamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

TWRP 3.2.1-0 Released

Dec 9, 2017

TWRP 3.2.1-0 is out now for most currently supported devices.

What's new in 3.2.1-0:

* minui fixes (cryptomilk)
* Better android-8.0 compatibility in ROM trees (Dees_Troy)
* Fix missing library in android-8.0 (nkk71)
* Fix inconsistent SDCard naming (DevUt)
* Default to TWRP restore instead of adb backup restore to fix restore on fresh TWRP boot

Update 05/01/2019
TWRP 3.2.3-1 OO build released.
Current status: Beta

Update 02/02/2017
TWRP 3.2.1-1 NN build released.
Current status: Stable

Features:

MTP working
ADB working
SEANDROID warning fix
TWRP and Kernel built from latest source
Raw SYSTEM image backup
NTFS support
Twrp app support

You flash this at your own risk. Please ensure you have the stock ROM to hand downloaded from SamMobile or updato.com in case of problems. This will trip the knox counter.

Instructions:

Flash with odin in the AP slot.
Put your device in DOWNLOAD MODE. (POWER +VOL DOWN +VOL UP)
Uncheck Auto reboot.
Load the respective file below into the AP slot and hit start.
After flashing and ODIN reports PASS immediately reboot to recovery by holding POWER + HOME + VOL DOWN
As soon as the screen goes blank change to POWER + HOME + VOL UP
You should now see TWRP recovery.
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE ABOVE STEPS WILL RESULT IN TWRP BEING REPLACED BY STOCK RECOVERY

Do NOT boot the OS, move on to the root instructions below.

NOTE: ON ANDROID 5.1.1+ DEVICES IT IS NECESSARY TO GO TO:
Settings -> Developer Options -> OEM unlocking
AND ENABLE OEM UNLOCK FIRST OR YOU MAY ENCOUNTER 'BLOCKED BY FRP LOCK' WHEN FLASHING.

DOWNLOAD:

Oreo/Pie:
TWRP_3.2.3-1_sm-t380_4119

TWRP_3.2.3-1_sm-t385_5119

Nougat:
TWRP_3.2.1-1_sm-t380_15118

To Root:
Download the latest Magisk release:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

To disable forced encryption and mount internal storage (/DATA):
1. Boot to Twrp
2. Format the Data partition (NOT WIPE) using the FORMAT DATA button under Wipe options.
(Note: This will wipe the internal storage)
3. Check /DATA is mountable.
4. Install Magisk

OREO/PIE ONLY:
5. Flash the RMM bypass zip
https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4481843&d=1524258795

6. Reboot

Kernel source T380DXU2BRK3: : https://opensource.samsung.com/uploadSearch?searchValue=sm-t380

TWRP recovery source: https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery

PLEASE DO *NOT* DIRECT LINK TO THESE FILES. PLEASE LINK TO THIS POST

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER/COFFEE OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

Last edited:

aquamoon1

Feb 22, 2018
help me

help please, I can not install the twrp, odin tells me that everything is ok, and when I run the recovery it appears no command, my tablet is sm t380

NavyDave49

Jul 31, 2016
TWRP intstalled OK and Data partition formatted as instructed. SuperSU and boot image patch zips installed, rebooted and after two auto reboots the tablet powers down and is unresponsive. Can still manually boot to TWRP. ?? Any hints??

pksw

Feb 27, 2013
Thanks for the guide, seems to have worked fine. Have TWRP, Root, Magisk on my Tab A T385 after following all the guides on this forum.

NavyDave49

Jul 31, 2016
Impossible. ALL THE GUIDES? There are so many errors and omissions in THIS guide, it's impossible that you could have successfully completed root by following it. I, too, researched other posts on other guides. Perhaps I missed something. It would be good to clean up THIS guide so others don't have to do it.

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
Impossible. ALL THE GUIDES? There are so many errors and omissions in THIS guide, it's impossible that you could have successfully completed root by following it. I, too, researched other posts on other guides. Perhaps I missed something. It would be good to clean up THIS guide so others don't have to do it.
Maybe you shouldn't be attempting to root your device if you are incapable of following instructions that every one else seems to manage with just fine.
I suggest you try www.spoonfeeders.com.

Nov 17, 2016
Didn't work for me. Tab SM-T380. Using Odin3 v3.11. OEM unlock is checked and running Build RB3. USB debugging is check too if that matters in download mode.

Do I need to flash back to stock firmware first? I don't think I read that I need to flash stock first, just that you said I should download it in case of a soft brick. Or do you think it might be my Odin ver. Honestly I don't know, every time I've done this on previous devises it worked, so not sure where to go from here.

My Tab says "Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed"

Odin says...
Code:
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin engine v(ID:3.1101)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/004> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/004> 
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrisjjj

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
Didn't work for me. Tab SM-T380. Using Odin3 v3.11. OEM unlock is checked and running Build RB3. USB debugging is check too if that matters in download mode.

Do I need to flash back to stock firmware first? I don't think I read that I need to flash stock first, just that you said I should download it in case of a soft brick. Or do you think it might be my Odin ver. Honestly I don't know, every time I've done this on previous devises it worked, so not sure where to go from here.

My Tab says "Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed"

Odin says...
Check for RMM state in Odin mode.

Nov 17, 2016
Check for RMM state in Odin mode.

As I was trying to find out what you where talking about. I discovered you where referring to a line of txt in download mode. So I went back to download mode to check. I didn't see the RMM line though. But I thought maybe I have to try to flash again to get that line. But oddly this time it passed. Crazy right? thx for the help tho...

Reactions: ashyx
It's amazing that even Samsung's tablets are getting TWRP, even if they might not be as glorious as their phones.

Speaking of which, will TWRP 3.2.0 ever be able to support the older (and weaker) model of this device called an SM-T350? I'm out to build Android Oreo for those old tablets from three years ago and 3.1.1 does not seem to know what an Oreo is.

Sent from my OnePlus 3T using XDA Labs

Nov 17, 2016
I'm in TWRP but when I try to boot to system I get suck in a boot loop. I think maybe I f**ked up. I forgot to put SU on my SD card and I wanted to do a backup before I booted to system. It wouldn't let me. So I tried wiping and it wouldn't let me do that. So I skipped a step and used the format option. That worked and then I made a backup, but it said something about reloading the data. Then I tried rebooting to system and got the boot loop. I can still get in TWRP but can't get boot system. Do I need to start over? Reflash stock and stuff or am I missing something?

Edit: False alarm again, damn what the hell eveything wants to take 2 tries first. I'm good to go now.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2015
South Australia
Newbs, if you're having trouble flashing TWRP to your Smasung Galaxy A T380 (2017) and you're having no luck following several different ROOT or TWRP tutorials on here, try a different button combination. I tried over 15 times with existing tutorial combinations (including this one) and they were not right for my device - which is a week old.

Note: after unlocking developer options in Settings, you will have to wait 7 days for OEM unlock to show up in your settings... so turn that and USB Debugging on. But if you boot to download mode in the meantime you may be able to do it anyway on the T380 (thanks to ashyx for pointing this out) - OEM lock was showing as "OFF" the day I got it - I just couldn't get the flash button combos right! If not, then wait the 7 days for the option to show up.

I used ODIN 3.12.5. Uncheck auto-boot (you will find it in the "Options" tab of Odin)
Load up the TWRP file provided in this tutorial in the AP slot.
To put your device into download mode, turn it of, then hold: Power + Volume Down + Home (not what is said in this tutorial)
Flash, then once you get your success message/"PASS" message - here's the important bit that's different from this tutorial and others I've seen. To get out of DL mode, hold Power + Volume Down + HOME (HOME is the additional step that has been missing)
As soon as the screen goes blank, switch to Power + Volume Up + HOME. You should boot straight to TWRP then... and follow the rest of ashyx tutorial for root & installing the encrypt patch.

I don't know why this was different from this tutorial, or others I've seen.... but it was. And I was killing myself using the other button combos with no success (either straight back to ordinary boot following this tutorial steps, or hitting error following suggested Power + Volume Down to ext DL, then Power + Volume Up + Home to boot to recovery in a root tutorial or two).

TL;DR version if hitting problems - use the HOME BUTTON AS WELL on BOTH the suggested steps in the OP's tutorial after flashing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unofficial release -TWRP recovery for the Galaxy Tab A - T380/T385, Qualcomm MSM8917

teamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

TWRP 3.2.1-0 Released

Dec 9, 2017

TWRP 3.2.1-0 is out now for most currently supported devices.

What's new in 3.2.1-0:

* minui fixes (cryptomilk)
    * Better android-8.0 compatibility in ROM trees (Dees_Troy)
    * Fix missing library in android-8.0 (nkk71)
    * Fix inconsistent SDCard naming (DevUt)
    * Default to TWRP restore instead of adb backup restore to fix restore on fresh TWRP boot

Update 05/01/2019
    TWRP 3.2.3-1 OO build released.
    Current status: Beta

Update 02/02/2017
    TWRP 3.2.1-1 NN build released.
    Current status: Stable

Features:

MTP working
    ADB working
    SEANDROID warning fix
    TWRP and Kernel built from latest source
    Raw SYSTEM image backup
    NTFS support
    Twrp app support

You flash this at your own risk. Please ensure you have the stock ROM to hand downloaded from SamMobile or updato.com in case of problems. This will trip the knox counter.

Instructions:

Flash with odin in the AP slot.
    Put your device in DOWNLOAD MODE. (POWER +VOL DOWN +VOL UP)
    Uncheck Auto reboot.
    Load the respective file below into the AP slot and hit start.
    After flashing and ODIN reports PASS immediately reboot to recovery by holding POWER + HOME + VOL DOWN
    As soon as the screen goes blank change to POWER + HOME + VOL UP
    You should now see TWRP recovery.
    FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE ABOVE STEPS WILL RESULT IN TWRP BEING REPLACED BY STOCK RECOVERY

Do NOT boot the OS, move on to the root instructions below.

NOTE: ON ANDROID 5.1.1+ DEVICES IT IS NECESSARY TO GO TO:
    Settings -> Developer Options -> OEM unlocking
    AND ENABLE OEM UNLOCK FIRST OR YOU MAY ENCOUNTER 'BLOCKED BY FRP LOCK' WHEN FLASHING.

DOWNLOAD:

Oreo/Pie:
    TWRP_3.2.3-1_sm-t380_4119

TWRP_3.2.3-1_sm-t385_5119

Nougat:
    TWRP_3.2.1-1_sm-t380_15118

To Root:
    Download the latest Magisk release:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

To disable forced encryption and mount internal storage (/DATA):
    1. Boot to Twrp
    2. Format the Data partition (NOT WIPE) using the FORMAT DATA button under Wipe options.
    (Note: This will wipe the internal storage)
    3. Check /DATA is mountable.
    4. Install Magisk

OREO/PIE ONLY:
    5. Flash the RMM bypass zip
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4481843&d=1524258795

6. Reboot

Kernel source T380DXU2BRK3: : https://opensource.samsung.com/uploadSearch?searchValue=sm-t380

TWRP recovery source: https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery

PLEASE DO *NOT* DIRECT LINK TO THESE FILES. PLEASE LINK TO THIS POST

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER/COFFEE OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

@ashyx

Kernel source for T380DXU2BRI6 has been released :)
    @ashyx

Kernel source for T380DXU2BRI6 has been released :)
    Finally, will be on it soon as I get chance.
    That is great. I am new to all of this. Any sort of estimated timeline as to how long it takes to update TWRP once this is done. Got the tab for christmas and keen to get this thing properly rooted so I can strip all the stuff I do not need and run multiple versions of my game app.

Not trying to say rush to any of the awesome dev team, just trying to get an idea.

In the mean time, hap[y new year!
    Probably when new-year is out of the way.
    ok, i feel like i am being ignored here, let me iterate this in another way..

some of us are visual learners, and no matter how much we read it makes no sense because we don't understand the basis or have anything to compare this too..

BUT..

if you made a video on how to install this we would understand in one shot.

can someone make a youtube video on this please?

thank you.

if you dislike youtube (and I understand and agree fully) I wiill even give you webspace to store it on, but i must warn you i move from host to host every three years and next year i move again, but it give us somewhere to start.

I am working (or trying too anyways) with build # T380DXU1ARB3

and btw, multiple post about rooting the same device and disagreeing abotu how it is done DO NOT help, nor does it help when someone who was helped by another makes one of those posts rather than the one who provided the solution.

it has caused me major problems on my end learning to do this actually, and I am sure others feel the same, besides, it is a BS practice.

so ashyx you have time to make a 15 minute video or something on installing this?
    if we can get you to do that, and the guy behind magisk to do the same we could make this alot easier.

and also noting which builds it is for and which it fails on would be good too, look ay the posts by mingkee and shahmir_k, good example.

Hey mate you'll have no issue flashing TWRP to your device just use the download link in OP to download the recovery as your REV001 so your device is compatible as your running the 7.1 nougat SDK, make sure OEM unlock is ON

Download a copy of your stock firmware for your T380 from sammobile.com you'll need it, any country is flashable but MAKE SURE that the firmware numbers are ☆T380ABC "U1" ABC1 and not T380ABC "U2" ABC1 for example as the new REV002 is 8.1 OREO you dont want that,

Once you have the recovery downloaded and also the stock firmware, make sure you have ODIN3 3.13.1 also as it supports oreo compression,

Now first load the TWRP.img you downloaded from OP and place it into the AP tab in odin3 3.13.1 make sure it is the AP tab, now select options, Uncheck auto reboot, now press start, wait for it to say pass In green,

Now you have to reboot the device but as soon as the screen goes black you must enter recovery without letting the system boot, on the T380 I have i use these buttons reboot the device,

Hold all at the same time
    Home button,
    Volume down button
    Power button,

Keep holding until the screen goes black,
    As soon as it does you have to be really quick and hold

Home button
    Volume up button
    Power button

You should now be in TWRP now just follow the steps as provided by the OP and you will be fine the hard part is now over,

if it didnt boot TWRP and you get a triangle screen flash back the stock firmware you downloaded and start these steps again from the start, to flash stock there will be 4 files, BL AP CSC & HOME_CSC, place the BL file into the BL tab, place the AP file into the AP tab (this will take a while to load this one) and last insert the the CSC into the CSC tab, flash and your on stock again, now start from the start,

---------- Post added at 05:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 AM ----------

Never known a bootloader with the same revision to be refused. Maybe it's the region variant.
    In any case it doesn't need to be flashed, you already have a rev2 bootloader.

Hey mate I got it all fixed I managed to get everything back to 1 and not -2 like it was, apart from (R2) this was 2 when I received it but it's not -2 like it was,

Qualcomm secure boot and also warrantt void is not showing as 0×fffffffe thank #€£@ know what I'm doing just potentially averted a $200 loss lol, ah the Joy's of phone technician,

What I found wouldnt flash from combination rom when tried after downloading this morning it wouldnt flash the aboot.mbn, sbl.mbn, adspo.mbn,

what I did is disassemble the combination rom,

Took the following and converted to .tar

Persist.img
    System.img
    Userdata.img
    Recovery.img
    Sec.dat
    Msadp.img
    Keymaster.img
    cmnlib.img
    NON-HLOS.img
    Rpm.img
    tz.img

Then finally very last the cache.img,

Flash this last you will reboot get the spinning circle and it will reboot and everything will be back to normal for anyone else whom encounters this error, there is a fix to go back to 1 from -2 and have an operational system again :) enjoy guys I'll be waiting for TWRP oreo patiently and can tell my customer I didnt FUBAR they're tablet after all :)