Search This thread

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Can you test this build: https://build.twrp.me/twrp-3.4.0-0-walleye.img
Execute adb shell logcat /tmp/logcat.txt
adb pull /tmp/logcat.txt

Please paste the file here.

Aloha,

Walleye user on rooted stock android 10 here. I get the same issue as the other user for this build. Doesn't boot and here's my pastebin.

Sorry about that, here is a new test with the ramdisk compressed with LZMA: https://build.twrp.me/twrp-3.4.0-0-walleye.img

If you can get logcat in android-11 that would be great.

Same scenario, rooted android 10. Here's links...

pin passcode disabled, TWRP just freezes on boot.

pin passcode enabled. TWRP boots but is unable to decrypt files.

Is there anything else I can try to help troubleshoot?

bigbiff

Senior Recognized Developer
Jun 8, 2010
Aloha,

Walleye user on rooted stock android 10 here. I get the same issue as the other user for this build. Doesn't boot and here's my pastebin.

Same scenario, rooted android 10. Here's links...

pin passcode disabled, TWRP just freezes on boot.

pin passcode enabled. TWRP boots but is unable to decrypt files.

Is there anything else I can try to help troubleshoot?

What is your security patch level set to? Also can you attach /tmp/recovery.log showing TWRP trying to decrypt?

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
What is your security patch level set to? Also can you attach /tmp/recovery.log showing TWRP trying to decrypt?

August 2020 security patch. I just noticed that I inverted my wording in my previous post. With pin passcode disabled, TWRP boots but just shows a string of files when I click install. TWRP freezes on the boot logo with the pin passcode enabled. Sorry for the confusion.

Attached you'll find two recovery logs. Recovery.log is with pin passcode enabled and TWRP just freezes on boot logo. No pin-recovery.log has the pin disabled, successfully boots directly into TWRP but shows string of unreadable files when I'm selecting them in Install mode.

Attachments

• nopin-recovery.log
    29.3 KB · Views: 7

NFSP G35

Feb 28, 2012
Sorry about that, here is a new test with the ramdisk compressed with LZMA: https://build.twrp.me/twrp-3.4.0-0-walleye.img

If you can get logcat in android-11 that would be great.

Here's my results

Walleye #1 Android 10, Sep 5th 2019 sec patch, legacy encryption (older versions of TWRP can decrypt)
Results: TWRP boots, but doesn't try to decrypt. Running: twrp decrypt from the terminal gave me:
"Failed to decrypt data"
Attached logcat and recovery.log

Walleye #2 Android 10, July 5th 2020 sec patch, encryption that older versions of TWRP can't decrypt...
Results: Gets stuck at TWRP splash screen

cognitivedissonance

Jan 11, 2012
Hi all, I'm still back on Android 9 with my Pixel 2 XL b/c of concerns about TWRP not functioning properly. It seems like what I'm reading in this thread is that 3.4.0-1 actually does decrypt Android 10 as normal. Is that correct? Does backup and restore work (with fingerprint and password still in place)? How about installing stuff, wiping, file browsing and so on?

Thanks!

Last edited:

cognitivedissonance

Jan 11, 2012
So I read a bit more. Seems like 3.4.0-1 works for most of what I need. I'm gathering that it decrypts Android 10, installs zips, wipes, etc. As I understand it the one "shortcoming" (if you can even call it that) is that it doesn't allow one to backup the system. The thing is I guess I'm not sure whether or not that's a big issue, I know that in the past I've always backed up System, but since moving to the Pixel 2 XL, I'm thinking it may not actually matter anymore. Can someone confirm my suspicions? My reason for thinking this is that when I update to a new version of Android (haven't done it for a while since I was concerned about Android 10) I seem to recall that flashing the factory image (without the "-w" flag) still unpacks and flashes System, which means it would overwrite it even if I did restore it. I've never had any settings get screwed up using that update method - it's as if I haven't made any changes at all, so I guess that probably means backing up System doesn't matter. Is that assessment correct or am I missing something.

EX: if I make a backup of Boot and Data on Android 10 and then fully wipe my device and start from scratch, will I get back to exactly where I left off by unlocking, flashing the newest image as-is, moving the backup back onto the device, and flashing it? Or will something be lost b/c I'm not able to restore System?

73sydney

So I read a bit more. Seems like 3.4.0-1 works for most of what I need. I'm gathering that it decrypts Android 10, installs zips, wipes, etc. As I understand it the one "shortcoming" (if you can even call it that) is that it doesn't allow one to backup the system. The thing is I guess I'm not sure whether or not that's a big issue, I know that in the past I've always backed up System, but since moving to the Pixel 2 XL, I'm thinking it may not actually matter anymore. Can someone confirm my suspicions? My reason for thinking this is that when I update to a new version of Android (haven't done it for a while since I was concerned about Android 10) I seem to recall that flashing the factory image (without the "-w" flag) still unpacks and flashes System, which means it would overwrite it even if I did restore it. I've never had any settings get screwed up using that update method - it's as if I haven't made any changes at all, so I guess that probably means backing up System doesn't matter. Is that assessment correct or am I missing something.

EX: if I make a backup of Boot and Data on Android 10 and then fully wipe my device and start from scratch, will I get back to exactly where I left off by unlocking, flashing the newest image as-is, moving the backup back onto the device, and flashing it? Or will something be lost b/c I'm not able to restore System?

You wouldnt want to backup system and restore it between major Android versions, which is how your query reads?

Transferring system settings is generally not a good idea, again especially between major Android versions

TWRP's biggest drawback on this device is that yes, you cant make a full nandroid backup as most of us have become used to over many years.
I have moved to just backing up user app & data with Migrate, MyBackup Pro, or another backup solution, and copying anything off the internal sdcard i love before flashing a new ROM, and then restoring afterwards

Sometimes there is no "easy way" and you have to do a little work, result = a device with less (inherited due to splicing) issues....

I believe you may be able to just backup and restore /data, on the same Android version. I personally have never done this, so ill leave that part up to someone who has tried/succeeded....

Also be aware that with Android 11. if you were thinking of going there, you do not want to install TWRP, just fastboot to it:

• adb reboot bootloader
  • fastboot boot twrp.img

and then do your TWRP related business

Last edited:

cognitivedissonance

Jan 11, 2012
You wouldnt want to backup system and restore it between major Android versions, which is how your query reads?

I appreciate all the info. To clarify, on a few things:

1. I only use stock android - no ROMs (they always seem to be more trouble than they're worth with the stuff they end up breaking)

2. I don't want to restore the system when I update. My plan was to download the most recent Android 10 factory image, delete the "-w" flag from the flash.bat and then flash it with fastboot. I still need to look it up to see if that's an acceptable process though. I guess I'm just wondering about backing up system b/c I'm not entirely sure what is lost if I were to update to 10, make a nandroid, do a full wipe, then restore my nandroid. There's no real purpose to doing that, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing out on not being able to do that. If it's a lot, I may just stay on Android 9 where I can backup and restore system if need-be.

3. No TWRP install is a deal breaker for me. I want to be able to do TWRP on the go, so I'm more than happy to stay on Android 9 or 10.

73sydney

I appreciate all the info. To clarify, on a few things:

1. I only use stock android - no ROMs (they always seem to be more trouble than they're worth with the stuff they end up breaking)

I stuck with stock ROM for ages after i switched to Pixel 2 XL, its very good, but i havent regretted installing BlissROM yet...does stuff that i would have to install extra apps/hacks to do and is rock solid, as in totally reliable.

2. I don't want to restore the system when I update. My plan was to download the most recent Android 10 factory image, delete the "-w" flag from the flash.bat and then flash it with fastboot. I still need to look it up to see if that's an acceptable process though. I guess I'm just wondering about backing up system b/c I'm not entirely sure what is lost if I were to update to 10, make a nandroid, do a full wipe, then restore my nandroid. There's no real purpose to doing that, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing out on not being able to do that. If it's a lot, I may just stay on Android 9 where I can backup and restore system if need-be.

deleting the -w from the flash.bat merely preserves data when flashing an update, nothing more. People use it all the time. That said, a 3rd party backup of apps and app data with a 3rd party root app backup solution like Migrate or MyBackup Pro would be my advise. Ive never preserved aata across flashes, stock ROM or not, i do a wipe and restore things and am persionally prepared to put in a little bit of work to result in a fully working/no drama system.

I still am not 100% certain hat youre trying to achieve

If you want to preserve your app and app data then id suggest using a 3rd party root app backup solution like Migrate or MyBackup Pro first, and then try removing the -w...

If youre trying to find a way to preserve all your system settings, accounts etc (sometime you have to do a little work folks), then good luck, i cant help you with that, you can try to use TiTanium Backup, but that will probably end in tears....backing up and restoing that kind of stuff is just a bad idea...

3. No TWRP install is a deal breaker for me. I want to be able to do TWRP on the go, so I'm more than happy to stay on Android 9 or 10.

TWRP doesnt do full nandroid backups on Android 10,. I have given up installing on 10 as well for this reason. As with Android 11, where if you install it it bootlooops, if i need to flash somethign i just fastboot to it

Last edited:

irmas5

twrp recovery

Hi. CAN any body help me? When i flasing by fastboot temporary twrp 3231 showing this. How i can fix that? i can't flash anyting. Thanks

Attachments

• 122870636_1007518623095016_3520628451932019801_n.jpg
    122870636_1007518623095016_3520628451932019801_n.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 166

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: Do not use if you have multiple users (including a guest user)

Lots more information here: https://plus.google.com/u/1/+DeesTroy/posts/i33ygUi7tiu

I strongly recommend that kernel developers start building the touch drivers into the kernel instead of depending on modules to ensure a fully functional TWRP since recovery is now part of the boot partition.

Be careful about what you install on your device as far as kernels and ROMs go. I think there is a high potential for losing the ability to decrypt because of the OS and patch level tags that are included in the boot image and the anti-rollback features that Google has implemented.

MTP does not work in TWRP on the Pixel 2 and will not work until we have time to update the TWRP MTP implementation. You may still use adb to push and pull files.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

The zip install method installs TWRP to both slots.

Installation:
    If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. Copy the zip to your device. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. If you are using a lockscreen pin/pattern/password and do not get prompted to enter your passord, reboot to the bootloader and try again. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. If you are currently rooted, you will need to reflash the stock boot image before installing TWRP. After installing the stock boot image, follow the instructions for installing TWRP. Once TWRP is installed, you will need to reflash root.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

3.2.1-1 has working decrypt with the February security patch!
    3.2.1-2 fixes some zip install errors
    3.2.3-1 supports decrypting Android 9.0 Pie even with a pin / pattern / password set

Pixel 2:
    https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel2.html
    https://dl.twrp.me/walleye/

Pixel 2 XL:
    https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel2xl.html
    https://dl.twrp.me/taimen/
    I don't think this did nothing to fix or improve this device. Touch without kernel still broke. Temp not working and I think the clock is still off. It's kinda sad this device is getting overlooked. I haven't tested anything else.

Well, at least be thankful you have a recovery from which to flash mods and such. Last time I checked, Team Win isn't on any of our payrolls. Have a blessed day :laugh:
    3.4 Test Image for Taimen

Hi all. I have been working on getting Taimen re-worked the last few days based on Dees_Troy's original tree. I have a patch on gerrit and once merged I can make a official download image.

In the meantime please test http://build.twrp.me/test/taimen/twrp-3.4.0-0-test1-taimen.img and let me know if everything is working.

I have tested backup/restore, decryption under keymaster 3 on stock android-10 for taimen and repacking boot.img works into ramdisk.

I am hoping someone can test the multi-user patch too. I will test it tomorrow.