TWRP 3.2.3-1 for Pixel 2 XL

Search This thread
Jan 13, 2015
I have a Taimen on VZ and have not had any problems booting and installing latest TWRP. You may have a bad dl or other issues with your phone.
In sorry Alxoom33, but I don't beleive that is the case, I verified the checksum of all sources and reattempted 3 times. I am certain that some bug still exists with twrp-3.5.0_9-1 for taimen. But it doesn't really matter, its easy and effective to use twrp-3.5.0_9-o for taimen.

twrp-3.5.1_9-0-taimen.img no longer has the problems I experienced in twrp-3.5.0_9-1-taimen.zip.

Last edited:

jlokos

May 27, 2011
Willamette Valley
Google Pixel 8 Pro
In sorry Alxoom33, but I don't beleive that is the case, I verified the checksum of all sources and reattempted 3 times. I am certain that some bug still exists with twrp-3.5.0_9-1 for taimen. But it doesn't really matter, its easy and effective to use twrp-3.5.0_9-o for taimen.
I've had no issues with twrp 3.5.1_9-0 on taimen; it even does nandroid backups although I have not attempted a restore as of yet.

Alxoom33

May 18, 2011
New York
www.sack-ip.com
Google Pixel Tablet
Pull a log. You may have other issues going on.

N6ML

Jun 25, 2019
FWIW, I had the same experience as @splinterededge this morning... at least I think it's the same. I installed the factory android 11 image (flash-all), then fastbooted twrp-3.5.1_9-0-taimen.img, and used it to install twrp-installer-3.5.1_9-0-taimen.zip. On attempt to boot into recovery after this, I was getting a continually flashing TWRP splash screen. I don't think it's even getting far enough to save a log (??). I was able to do what I needed with the fastbooted TWRP, so I'm reluctant to mess with it any more at this point, although it'd be nice to have recovery working in case I need it in the future.......

N6ML

Jun 25, 2019
Flashing latest TWRP installation zip in booted version of TWRP and flashing lasest Magisk 22005 canary zip file in TWRP.

Not sure if that's supposed to be the right way or the wrong way, but I did install the latest TWRP ZIP when fastbooted with the latest TWRP image, as noted in post #3184. I did not install Magisk, though, as I don't perceive that I have a need for it right now. Perhaps installed TWRP only works when Magisk is also installed??

Alxoom33

May 18, 2011
New York
www.sack-ip.com
Google Pixel Tablet
Not sure if that's supposed to be the right way or the wrong way, but I did install the latest TWRP ZIP when fastbooted with the latest TWRP image, as noted in post #3184. I did not install Magisk, though, as I don't perceive that I have a need for it right now. Perhaps installed TWRP only works when Magisk is also installed??
No, installed TWRP works with and without Magisk.

73sydney

Account currently disabled
This does not lead to any drama. It is necessary to install correctly twrp.zip

dude, i think i know what im doing, ive probably flashed thousands of ROMs and zip over the years since Android began...

Its largely reported that twrp on 11 leads to drama...i didnt just make it up

Jan 13, 2015
I have a Taimen on VZ and have not had any problems booting and installing latest TWRP. You may have a bad dl or other issues with your phone.
I actually found some unrealized issues with my taimen, I owe you an apology, so I'm sorry for doubting you. Unfortunately for me my phone is shutting down when I charge so I am likely going to buy something new. It's a shame I'm quite fond of this device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: Do not use if you have multiple users (including a guest user)

Lots more information here: https://plus.google.com/u/1/+DeesTroy/posts/i33ygUi7tiu

I strongly recommend that kernel developers start building the touch drivers into the kernel instead of depending on modules to ensure a fully functional TWRP since recovery is now part of the boot partition.

Be careful about what you install on your device as far as kernels and ROMs go. I think there is a high potential for losing the ability to decrypt because of the OS and patch level tags that are included in the boot image and the anti-rollback features that Google has implemented.

MTP does not work in TWRP on the Pixel 2 and will not work until we have time to update the TWRP MTP implementation. You may still use adb to push and pull files.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

The zip install method installs TWRP to both slots.

Installation:
    If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. Copy the zip to your device. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. If you are using a lockscreen pin/pattern/password and do not get prompted to enter your passord, reboot to the bootloader and try again. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. If you are currently rooted, you will need to reflash the stock boot image before installing TWRP. After installing the stock boot image, follow the instructions for installing TWRP. Once TWRP is installed, you will need to reflash root.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

3.2.1-1 has working decrypt with the February security patch!
    3.2.1-2 fixes some zip install errors
    3.2.3-1 supports decrypting Android 9.0 Pie even with a pin / pattern / password set

Pixel 2:
    https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel2.html
    https://dl.twrp.me/walleye/

Pixel 2 XL:
    https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel2xl.html
    https://dl.twrp.me/taimen/
    I don't think this did nothing to fix or improve this device. Touch without kernel still broke. Temp not working and I think the clock is still off. It's kinda sad this device is getting overlooked. I haven't tested anything else.

Well, at least be thankful you have a recovery from which to flash mods and such. Last time I checked, Team Win isn't on any of our payrolls. Have a blessed day :laugh:
    3.4 Test Image for Taimen

Hi all. I have been working on getting Taimen re-worked the last few days based on Dees_Troy's original tree. I have a patch on gerrit and once merged I can make a official download image.

In the meantime please test http://build.twrp.me/test/taimen/twrp-3.4.0-0-test1-taimen.img and let me know if everything is working.

I have tested backup/restore, decryption under keymaster 3 on stock android-10 for taimen and repacking boot.img works into ramdisk.

I am hoping someone can test the multi-user patch too. I will test it tomorrow.