TWRP 3.2.3-1 for Pixel 2

Search This thread

deeppans

Oct 11, 2011
You should probably give it more time before bumping your problem.

here's what I would try:

Code:
Apply Feb Update (without wiping ((removing -w from the script))
fastboot boot twrp.img
flash twrp.zip
reboot
adb reboot recovery
flash kernel and magisk (in that order)
reboot and check

If that doesn't work then you may need to follow those steps but wipe everything. If you run through those again (with wiping) and it doesn't help, try using this tool here. It's saved my ass a few times when I thought I hard bricked the bootloader and using the flash-all command wouldn't work.
Thank you, somehow I forget it. And was looking for any way or fix using TWRP.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

GravityNinja

Oct 30, 2016
Dallas, TX
Google Pixel 4 XL
Unable to Load TWRP

Hi, all.

I did the following and now I can't get back into TWRP OR the system.

1. "fastboot devices" for verification
2. "fastboot flashing unlock"
3. "fastboot flashing unlock_critical"
4. "fastboot reboot"
5. "fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img"
6. Flash TWRP (twrp-3.2.1-0-taimen)
7. Reboot recovery
8. Wipe Dalvik, System & Data paritions
9. Flash ROM
10. Flash TWRP
11. Reboot system

After reboot, system won't load. Going into recovery displays the TeamWin splash screen. Booting TWRP via fastboot does same thing. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, all.
GravityNinja

joetheshmo

Oct 28, 2015
Santa Cruz, CA
Hi, all.

I did the following and now I can't get back into TWRP OR the system.

1. "fastboot devices" for verification
2. "fastboot flashing unlock"
3. "fastboot flashing unlock_critical"
4. "fastboot reboot"
5. "fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img"
6. Flash TWRP (twrp-3.2.1-0-taimen)
7. Reboot recovery
8. Wipe Dalvik, System & Data paritions
9. Flash ROM
10. Flash TWRP
11. Reboot system

After reboot, system won't load. Going into recovery displays the TeamWin splash screen. Booting TWRP via fastboot does same thing. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, all.
GravityNinja
Boot to fastboot and flash the full factory image and try again

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

razrlover

Mar 28, 2012
Google Pixel 6
Thanks! Can they now be flashed permanently?

Yes flash img then zip and it's permanent unless you flash something such as a kernel, because recovery is tied to kernel

So kernel zip, twrp zip , then magisk if you want root.

---------- Post added at 03:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 AM ----------

Thanks! Can they now be flashed permanently?

Also if you are on Feb security update and flashing kernel make sure to delete pin and fingerprint or whatever you are using for security.

Flash kernel and then once your booted back up reset your pin or fingerprint.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Yes flash img then zip and it's permanent unless you flash something such as a kernel, because recovery is tied to kernel

So kernel zip, twrp zip , then magisk if you want root.

---------- Post added at 03:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 AM ----------

Also if you are on Feb security update and flashing kernel make sure to delete pin and fingerprint or whatever you are using for security.

Flash kernel and then once your booted back up reset your pin or fingerprint.

Or use
Code:
 adb push *filename* /tmp
while in recovery to push to /tmp, and flash from there. Hopefully they will be able to implement USB mounting in TWRP soon.

lpsld

Nov 3, 2016
I'm new to the Pixel 2, and Im looking for a fully working twrp, I just want to root the stock firmware. I read that 3.2.1.0 is the most stable, is there anything I should be aware of? Any encryption thingy?

lpsld

Nov 3, 2016
Nope, if you are just rooting, flash img then zip, follow guide and good to go

Do you mean flashing recovery via fastboot and flashing the magisk zip in recovery? How do I update when there's a new OTA?

Edit: I understand, booting twrp and then flash the zip ^^

Last edited:

razrlover

Mar 28, 2012
Google Pixel 6

lpsld

Nov 3, 2016
I got 1 Issue now, it all runs stable and exactly as smooth as before. But my Kernel version is at 4.4.88 isntead of 4.4.119. I just flashed magisk and stock boot image from feb firmware before (in fastboot before twrp)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: Do not use if you have multiple users (including a guest user)

Lots more information here: https://plus.google.com/u/1/+DeesTroy/posts/i33ygUi7tiu

I strongly recommend that kernel developers start building the touch drivers into the kernel instead of depending on modules to ensure a fully functional TWRP since recovery is now part of the boot partition.

Be careful about what you install on your device as far as kernels and ROMs go. I think there is a high potential for losing the ability to decrypt because of the OS and patch level tags that are included in the boot image and the anti-rollback features that Google has implemented.

MTP does not work in TWRP on the Pixel 2 and will not work until we have time to update the TWRP MTP implementation. You may still use adb to push and pull files.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

The zip install method installs TWRP to both slots.

Installation:
    If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. Copy the zip to your device. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. If you are using a lockscreen pin/pattern/password and do not get prompted to enter your passord, reboot to the bootloader and try again. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. If you are currently rooted, you will need to reflash the stock boot image before installing TWRP. After installing the stock boot image, follow the instructions for installing TWRP. Once TWRP is installed, you will need to reflash root.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

3.2.1-1 has working decrypt with the February security patch!
    3.2.1-2 fixes some zip install errors
    3.2.3-1 supports decrypting Android 9.0 Pie even with a pin / pattern / password set

Pixel 2:
    https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel2.html
    https://dl.twrp.me/walleye/

Pixel 2 XL:
    https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel2xl.html
    https://dl.twrp.me/taimen/
    You sound like you've got some experience so let me ask a dumb question...I have a 64 GB P2. So how does slot a/b work exactly...does each slot take up like 2 GB of the drive like they're partitions? Or are the slots a/b separate from the 64 GB capacity similar to a BIOS? I'm trying to relate to something I can understand :(

on all Android phones, all partitions are part of the internal storage - so /system is part of the 64GB.

On walleye (and all other phones that have an a/b partition scheme), the /system - partition is present twice: /system_a and /system_b and yes, that is also "taking" space away from the 64GB.

How the seamless update basically works is:
    In the beginning partition a and b are in an identical state. The booted slot always is slot a.
    The OTA now installs the update into slot b. When it is done, it displays the message that you should reboot your phone. When you reboot it, the updated slot b becomes slot a and the old slot a becomes slot b, basically switching the partitions. When the boot succeeds, the now labelled slot b partition gets synchronized with the new slot a so that they are identical again.
    When the boot does not succeed after some tries, the slots are switched back and the phone boots the old, not updated system.
    Completely stock Pixel 2 with google accounts already set up and device in use since October 21st.

I have successfully aquired root with the following steps:
    Code:
    > fastboot boot twrp-3.1.1-alpha1-walleye.img
    downloading 'boot.img'...
    OKAY [  0.700s]
    booting...
    OKAY [  0.068s]
    finished. total time: 0.768s

TWRP > Advanced > ADB Sideload

> adb sideload "Magisk-v14.3(1437).zip"
    opening 'Magisk-v14.3(1437).zip'...
    connecting...