TWRP 3.2.3-1 for Pixel Devices

Search This thread

Camicia

Apr 16, 2010
Troy I'm on the latest build marlin-pq3a.190705.001-factory-522f27c4, but when Im trying to flash TWRP zip I'm getting these errors,

failed to mount '/system' (device or resource busy)
failed to mount '/vendor' (device or resource busy)
please also see the logs.

edit I went to older TWRP twrp-3.3.0-0-marlin.img instead of twrp-3.3.1-0-marlin.img that seems to fix the issue.

Same problem on a sailfish with 3.3.1 and August update.

It looks like that for every new update from Google TWRP needs a new release... Maybe 3.3.2, when it comes out, will fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: freemn61

HowardZ

Apr 6, 2012
Just my opinion,

But I think TWRP causes so much confusion to so many people (including myself being a victim on multiple occasions).

Just because Google OTA updates keep switching SLOTs, does not mean TWRP should do this.

Installing a ROM zip file using TWRP - well it doesn't go into the current SLOT, it goes into the other one.

Installing Gapps or SU zip file using TWRP - well from what I've gathered, that does go into the current SLOT.

The common sense and user friendly thing for TWRP to have done - was work on the current SLOT for all zip file installs, all wipes, everything. And then if one wants to switch SLOTs and install zip files over there - well that is an option some people will want, and others will never want.

This disasterous decision was made three years ago - and it is confusing the heck out of almost everyone.

So, I always loved TWRP, and I still do.
I appreciate TWRP.
But, TWRP is driving people crazy.

TWRP and Slots could have been easy to work with if TWRP did not make it so terribly difficult.

Every time I wipe - am I wiping the current slot or the other slot?
Every time one install a zip file - is it going into current slot or the other slot?
Every time I backup - is it coming from the current slot or the other slot?
Every time I restore - is it going to the current slot or the other slot?

TWRP could have at least made it clear.

Using LineageOS 16.0 must set lock-screen to swipe or none. With a PIN, TWRP will never accept the PIN.

Regards,
H

P.S. I think this guy's problems a few years ago - I think it was caused by the mystery of which slots is being effected by installing which zip file.

Followed these instructions after bootloops this morning and it worked great. Install went well, but afterwards i noticed supersu wasn't installed correctly so I rebooted into TWRP to reflash it and now twrp won't decrypt my internal memory, it doesn't prompt me to decrypt.

Edit: Can't emulate it now. It asked me to decrypt again. Somehow in all of this I lost the supersu app. I reinstalled it from playstore and I am rooted still

Sent from my Pixel XL

Last edited:

dark2099

Aug 27, 2012
Chicago
Round 2 of countering you. As Google developed the phone, it would be on Google to be sure that everyone knows how the new partitioning system works. Also, as they don't make these phones to be rooted and flashed with custom kernels and ROMs, but instead to be used how it is sold when taken out of the box, why should they have to explain how to do something that can void the warranty. Lastly, why not use some common sense, why wouldn't the active partition be the one that gets used/modified when you first boot up TWRP? Not doing that would be a great way for TWRP be the cause of many people bricking their phones and then we would be seeing a different recovery solution. And if you're seriously having issues with flashing a stock image, then why are you even trying to flash anything else. Pretty sure that process hasn't changed since before the new partition system came around. So try again.

Last edited by a moderator:

SacredDeviL666

Retired Senior Moderator - May You Rest in Peace -
Sep 11, 2008
¤No Man's Land¤
Thread Cleaned.

If you don't like something you are more than welcome to not use it or share constructive feedback, or assist in developing or develop by yourself.

Kindly stick to the discussion topic related to the OP itself.

Thanks
SacredDeviL666.

Arvarkr

Sep 24, 2019
Milan
Can't go further TWRP 3.3.0-0 and errors

Hi everyone, this is my first message: hope I'm writing in the right thread. Have this problem: came back from Lineage OS 16 to stock, installed marlin-qp1a.190711.020-factory-2db5273a and tried to update to the latest TWRP 3.3.1-1 but it doesn't stick. Also tried previous versions but the only that sticks after flashing the installer from TWRP temporary is 3.3.0-0. Not a bad issue.
I was able to root with Magisk 19.3 but I always get the errors:
Failed to mount '/vendor' Invalid argument
Failed to mount '/system' Invalid argument
This happened from the beginning also after flashing the TWRP installer but I was able to stick it (that old version).

I read about the vendor warning and to don't care about as it should refers to treble roms, but the system issue really gets me in trouble as I cannot finish a backup, neither mounting the partition.

Found some guides on repairing partitions (system, data etc), changing file system and rechanging again file system to EXT4. Did them but after re-installing the stock system it didn't work.

At the moment I've Android 10 with TWRP 3.3.0-0, rooted and working, and I could leave everything as it is. But cannot figure if this can be fixed and how, or if have to wait to next TWRP version or whatever other update.

Thanx in advance.

Hi everyone, this is my first message: hope I'm writing in the right thread. Have this problem: came back from Lineage OS 16 to stock, installed marlin-qp1a.190711.020-factory-2db5273a and tried to update to the latest TWRP 3.3.1-1 but it doesn't stick. Also tried previous versions but the only that sticks after flashing the installer from TWRP temporary is 3.3.0-0. Not a bad issue.
I was able to root with Magisk 19.3 but I always get the errors:
Failed to mount '/vendor' Invalid argument
Failed to mount '/system' Invalid argument
This happened from the beginning also after flashing the TWRP installer but I was able to stick it (that old version).

I read about the vendor warning and to don't care about as it should refers to treble roms, but the system issue really gets me in trouble as I cannot finish a backup, neither mounting the partition.

Found some guides on repairing partitions (system, data etc), changing file system and rechanging again file system to EXT4. Did them but after re-installing the stock system it didn't work.

At the moment I've Android 10 with TWRP 3.3.0-0, rooted and working, and I could leave everything as it is. But cannot figure if this can be fixed and how, or if have to wait to next TWRP version or whatever other update.

Thanx in advance.

I've never actually installed TWRP to this phone, I've only ever fastboot booted it. I think it was something about the recovery is now part of the kernel? IDK. Regardless, the only way to get TWRP to stick with this device is to do as you described -- boot TWRP img and then flash TWRP zip. I can't speak to whether the zip works, since I only use the img.

Have you tried using the Magisk Manager app to patch the stock kernel? It'll give you a kernel image with Magisk injected that you can just flash in fastboot and will have root baked in. I read somewhere that this worked for a few people who were having trouble with root on 10.

Reactions: Arvarkr

Arvarkr

Sep 24, 2019
Milan
I've never actually installed TWRP to this phone, I've only ever fastboot booted it. I think it was something about the recovery is now part of the kernel? IDK. Regardless, the only way to get TWRP to stick with this device is to do as you described -- boot TWRP img and then flash TWRP zip. I can't speak to whether the zip works, since I only use the img.

Have you tried using the Magisk Manager app to patch the stock kernel? It'll give you a kernel image with Magisk injected that you can just flash in fastboot and will have root baked in. I read somewhere that this worked for a few people who were having trouble with root on 10.

Interesting! But I can root my XL with Magisk on Android 10 with any probs... That's ok if I use the TWRP 3.3.0-0.

If you read my post the main thing I cannot understand it's why of the System partition doesn't mount and why the newest TWRPs dosn't stick... But thx anyway.

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
Interesting! But I can root my XL with Magisk on Android 10 with any probs... That's ok if I use the TWRP 3.3.0-0.

If you read my post the main thing I cannot understand it's why of the System partition doesn't mount and why the newest TWRPs dosn't stick... But thx anyway.
Does TWRP 3.3.1-2.img/zip ( Marlin - 10/12/2019) work with Android 10?

Last edited:

JakeDHS07

Dec 15, 2010
North Salem NY
Google Pixel 4 XL
Sadly no. Just tested zip. Flashes fine but this TWRP doesn't even boot. Just has screen flash repeatedly. The failure to mount was bad enough but now we're moving backwards lol. Guess we will just have to stick with 3.3 for now as that's the last version with no issues.

jdmst77

Feb 19, 2012
I believe he meant: "3.3.0-0. Any other version fails when you try to mount /system and /vendor."

I just read that 3.3.1-2 was released, and that it will flash and decrypt:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=80537881&postcount=45

I've been running 3.3.1-2 since yesterday and I finally don't have to unmount system and vendor after loading TWRP so that I can mount them using TWRP

has anyone figured out a way to switch A/B boot partitions from anything other than TWRP or fastboot?

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
I've been running 3.3.1-2 since yesterday and I finally don't have to unmount system and vendor after loading TWRP so that I can mount them using TWRP

has anyone figured out a way to switch A/B boot partitions from anything other than TWRP or fastboot?
Does TWRP 3.3.1-2.img/zip work with Android 10 (Q)?
I haven't read about a way to switch the A/B partitions that's different from the ways you listed.

Last edited:

jdmst77

Feb 19, 2012
Does TWRP 3.3.1-2.img/zip work with Android 10 (Q)?
I haven't read about a way to switch the A/B partitions that's different from the ways you listed.

That's too bad. If it was available through an update.zip, that might work directly from the bootloader so a second device isn't required...

I'm still on P and I believe there were /system mounting issues with Magisk in Q so I held off. There's a new version of Magisk out so if it addresses the full root issues in Q, I'll try it out once more Xposed modules work with Q.

I'm really liking the features in GravityBox, in EdXposed SandyHook variant, on P. Fingerprint tap screen off feature is awesome. I'm not sure if edXposed or GravityBox are fully available for Q yet.

EDIT: I just figured out how to boot to the inactive slot while running Android, without TWRP or fastboot. I can't believe that the answer was staring at me the whole time. In Magisk select "Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA)". upon reboot, inactive slot will be selected and I can get to TWRP recovery from the bootloader on slot b.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TLDR: It's here and it may eat your data, and you will lose SuperSU root if currently installed. READ the install instructions carefully!

Pixel XL

Pixel

DO NOT RESTORE DATA FROM alpha builds of TWRP using RC1. You will probably lose all data including internal storage. If you need to restore a data backup from an alpha build, reinstall the alpha and restore using the alpha and make a new backup using RC1.

Note: Do not use if you have multiple users (including a guest user)

File Based Encryption (FBE) can be a bit tricky. If a restore doesn't work correctly, it can trigger an automatic wipe of your data. Sometimes TWRP will fail to prompt you to enter your password or otherwise fail to set up decrypt properly. If this happens, reboot TWRP. It seems to be some kind of timing issue and I haven't had time to track it down yet.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

The zip install method installs TWRP to both slots.

Installation:
    If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. Copy the zip to your device. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. If you are using a lockscreen pin/pattern/password and do not get prompted to enter your passord, reboot to the bootloader and try again. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. If you are currently rooted with SuperSU, you will need to reflash the stock boot image before installing TWRP. After installing the stock boot image, follow the instructions for installing TWRP. Once TWRP is installed, grab the very latest SuperSU released on 2015-11-15 or later and install SuperSU.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

NOTE about 3.2.1-0: This version will decrypt Android 8.1, however the new image is built in Android 8.1 and may not be compatible with SuperSU and/or Magisk until they update their stuff. I have not tested. Good luck.

3.2.1-1 has working decrypt with the February security patch!
    3.2.1-2 fixes some zip install errors
    3.2.3-1 supports decrypting Android 9.0 Pie even with a pin / pattern / password set
    How to install SuperSU SR5 on TWRP RC1: In TWRP tap on Advanced -> File Manager and scroll to and select the fstab.marlin or fstab.sailfish file and then delete it.
    How to install SuperSU SR5 on TWRP RC1: In TWRP tap on Advanced -> File Manager and scroll to and select the fstab.marlin or fstab.sailfish file and then delete it.
    SuperSU v2.79-SR1 was just released.

It works for me on my Pixel XL running 7.1 with TWRP RC1, but I have not updated my device to 7.1.1 yet. I suggest you try again and let me know.

Note that I don't really follow this thread, so either specifically mention me ( @Chainfire ) or post your results in the SuperSU BETA thread ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133 ).