TWRP 3.2.3-1 for Pixel Devices

Search This thread

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro
When you guys can't fastboot it's likely you have an unknown device due to a missing driver. When in the bootloader, open your device manager. You'll likely see a device with an ! In it. Right click and say update driver. Pick show list of devices. Near the top you should see ADB drivers. I picked Samsung ADB driver. It gave a warning. I clicked through it and it installed. After that run a "fastboot devices " and if you you a device appear, you should be all set to run fastboot commands. Many of the issues reported around fastboot issues are due to the missing ADB driver,

skulldreamz

Mar 13, 2012
Baltimore, MD
When you guys can't fastboot it's likely you have an unknown device due to a missing driver. When in the bootloader, open your device manager. You'll likely see a device with an ! In it. Right click and say update driver. Pick show list of devices. Near the top you should see ADB drivers. I picked Samsung ADB driver. It gave a warning. I clicked through it and it installed. After that run a "fastboot devices " and if you you a device appear, you should be all set to run fastboot commands. Many of the issues reported around fastboot issues are due to the missing ADB driver,

Fastboot actually has nothing to due with adb. People lump them together, which is understandable because they are 2 tools that can send commands to your mobile device from your computer and adb can also talk back through your mobile device to you're computer and they both are binaries that come with the Android SDK or studio. But I just want to clarify to the newer people that fastboot and adb (android debug bridge) have nothing linked to each other for example you can use fastboot without adb and use adb without fastboot. So where you say "Many of the issues reported around fastboot issues are due to the missing adb driver" is actually incorrect. So the above sentence would probably sound more accurate like this > Many of the issues reported around fastboot issues are due to the missing fastboot binary. Not trying to argue at all, I just think fundamentals are extremely important when wanting to excel at anything you do in life and that you are taught correctly and just wanted to clarify that for the newer guys.

kidruk

Jan 7, 2011
Quick question.... I went and jumped the gun and threw TWRP on without updating my software. Now that I got this custom recovery, to get the latest update....... Is a factory image flash my only route?

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro
I know ADB and fastboot are different. People are able to adb commands but once they get into bootloader, they can't run fastboot commands. They go into device manager and can see the offending device. I simply add what is listed as a "Samsung ADB Driver" and after I do fastboot works. Why? I can't tell you but it has worked for me whenever I have a device that does not see a connected device in fsstboot.

Last edited:

skulldreamz

Mar 13, 2012
Baltimore, MD
I know ADB and fastboot are different. People are able to adb commands but once they get into bootloader, they can't run fastboot commands. They go into device manager and can see the offending device. I simply add what is listed as a "Samsung ADB Driver" and after I do fastboot works. Why? I can't tell you but it has worked for me whenever I have a device that does not see a connected device in fsstboot.

Could you upload the "Samsung adb driver" your using. This adb driver must have the fastboot binary hardcoded into it as well. I want to rip it apart and see how much magical unicorn blood this driver drinks on a daily basis

pcriz

Quick question.... I went and jumped the gun and threw TWRP on without updating my software. Now that I got this custom recovery, to get the latest update....... Is a factory image flash my only route?

Of if you can just wait until the dec ota and for someone to drop a TWRP flashable zip for it.

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

The drivers are one in the same, the default being the samsung for most every nexus/pixel.

If fastboot isnt working but adb is or vice versa its usually because they need to restart, disconnect and plug back in or give the machine time to recognize the phone in recovery and apply the driver.

jaythenut

Sep 6, 2012

raycaster3

Apr 17, 2011
S.Ogden
Don't you need a custom rom for them to work not that I know much about them lol

No you don't need custom ROM. I even got hangouts blacked out by using root explorer.

I push them wth a file explorer. If you flash them you'll need to go delete the stock files most likely and reboot to get it to stick, also make sure you delete any updates in data/app or uninstall updates first before you do anything.

lucky_strike33

I push them wth a file explorer. If you flash them you'll need to go delete the stock files most likely and reboot to get it to stick, also make sure you delete any updates in data/app or uninstall updates first before you do anything.
Yea I deleted hangouts before flashing the blacked out version. Didn't stick for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA-Developers mobile app

powdered_donuts

Dec 30, 2010
omaha
Starting bone stock unrooted, I followed op and successfully installed two after unlocking via fastboot. I flashed the new SuperSU and was on my way no issues. I did a backup of all but the data partitions (to keep the size of the backup down since permissions on twrp directory weren't able to be changed to allow me to copy the backup to my PC) . Today I tried to restore from that backup. The restore failed every time. The order was restoring boot, then system then system image, and Everytime it got halfways through the system step the phone would reboot and hang on the Google screen. After that happened the system partition couldn't be mounted in twrp seemingly having disappeared. I could not even mount it from the mount menu.I was finally able to remedy things thankfully as I was on my way to the zoo with my kids by u checking allow system to be mounted as read only and only selecting the system image option in restore, skipping the system step. That restore brought back my system image and allowed the phone to boot. I have no idea what happened but I'm scared to touch this thing again until I can either learn what I did wrong or until the bugs are worked out.
Does anyone have any insight to offer?

808phoneaddict

Dec 26, 2011
Starting bone stock unrooted, I followed op and successfully installed two after unlocking via fastboot. I flashed the new SuperSU and was on my way no issues. I did a backup of all but the data partitions (to keep the size of the backup down since permissions on twrp directory weren't able to be changed to allow me to copy the backup to my PC) . Today I tried to restore from that backup. The restore failed every time. The order was restoring boot, then system then system image, and Everytime it got halfways through the system step the phone would reboot and hang on the Google screen. After that happened the system partition couldn't be mounted in twrp seemingly having disappeared. I could not even mount it from the mount menu.I was finally able to remedy things thankfully as I was on my way to the zoo with my kids by u checking allow system to be mounted as read only and only selecting the system image option in restore, skipping the system step. That restore brought back my system image and allowed the phone to boot. I have no idea what happened but I'm scared to touch this thing again until I can either learn what I did wrong or until the bugs are worked out.
Does anyone have any insight to offer?
Restore isn't working properly yet..

Rydah

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 4, 2008
Southern California
Installing the factory images over this would be enough to remove twrp and root correct? Haven't rooted in two years, alot has changed. Lol

I've managed to keep up with the knowledge of adb/fastboot and have done factory image flashes already, just wanted to confirm before diving in as this is my only phone.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TLDR: It's here and it may eat your data, and you will lose SuperSU root if currently installed. READ the install instructions carefully!

Pixel XL

Pixel

DO NOT RESTORE DATA FROM alpha builds of TWRP using RC1. You will probably lose all data including internal storage. If you need to restore a data backup from an alpha build, reinstall the alpha and restore using the alpha and make a new backup using RC1.

Note: Do not use if you have multiple users (including a guest user)

File Based Encryption (FBE) can be a bit tricky. If a restore doesn't work correctly, it can trigger an automatic wipe of your data. Sometimes TWRP will fail to prompt you to enter your password or otherwise fail to set up decrypt properly. If this happens, reboot TWRP. It seems to be some kind of timing issue and I haven't had time to track it down yet.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

The zip install method installs TWRP to both slots.

Installation:
    If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. Copy the zip to your device. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. If you are using a lockscreen pin/pattern/password and do not get prompted to enter your passord, reboot to the bootloader and try again. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. If you are currently rooted with SuperSU, you will need to reflash the stock boot image before installing TWRP. After installing the stock boot image, follow the instructions for installing TWRP. Once TWRP is installed, grab the very latest SuperSU released on 2015-11-15 or later and install SuperSU.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

NOTE about 3.2.1-0: This version will decrypt Android 8.1, however the new image is built in Android 8.1 and may not be compatible with SuperSU and/or Magisk until they update their stuff. I have not tested. Good luck.

3.2.1-1 has working decrypt with the February security patch!
    3.2.1-2 fixes some zip install errors
    3.2.3-1 supports decrypting Android 9.0 Pie even with a pin / pattern / password set
    How to install SuperSU SR5 on TWRP RC1: In TWRP tap on Advanced -> File Manager and scroll to and select the fstab.marlin or fstab.sailfish file and then delete it.
    How to install SuperSU SR5 on TWRP RC1: In TWRP tap on Advanced -> File Manager and scroll to and select the fstab.marlin or fstab.sailfish file and then delete it.
    SuperSU v2.79-SR1 was just released.

It works for me on my Pixel XL running 7.1 with TWRP RC1, but I have not updated my device to 7.1.1 yet. I suggest you try again and let me know.

Note that I don't really follow this thread, so either specifically mention me ( @Chainfire ) or post your results in the SuperSU BETA thread ( http://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133 ).