TWRP 3.2.3-2 for Pixel 3

Search This thread

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
MTP does not work in TWRP on the Pixel 3 and will not work until we have time to update the TWRP MTP implementation. You may still use adb to push and pull files.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

The zip install method installs TWRP to both slots.

Installation:
If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. Copy the zip to your device. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. If you are using a lockscreen pin/pattern/password and do not get prompted to enter your passord, reboot to the bootloader and try again. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. If you are currently rooted, you will need to reflash the stock boot image before installing TWRP. After installing the stock boot image, follow the instructions for installing TWRP. Once TWRP is installed, you will need to reflash root.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

3.2.3-0: Initial release for the Pixel 3 devices

Pixel 3:
https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel3.html
https://dl.twrp.me/blueline/

Pixel 3 XL:
https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel3xl.html
https://dl.twrp.me/crosshatch/

Last edited:

Archangel

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
You would think after buying the Pixel 1, 2 and 3 I would have this whole A/B slot thing down pat but I dont LOL. That did the same thing for me too. I just rebooted into recovery and flashed TWRP again and it has been fine since. I think sometimes it switches slots and that causes the bootloop. I messed around with changing slots and I think I am on slot A and all if fine for me.

I got twrp up and running on my Pixel 3, but when try to install magisk 17.3 via twrp it says it completes but just bootloops. And I have to restore again. How did you go about it?

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

I had that happen I think once and I just rebooted back into TWRP and it was fine.

Is anyone having the touchscreen not work after a reboot?

ktdt00

May 23, 2006
Hey guys - I'm a pixel noob and have a quick question about TWRP/Magisk.

I was rooted before TWRP came out so I flashed the stock boot images back to slots A and B. Then I followed steps 2-12 of the following article to install both Magisk and TWRP using temp TWRP. https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-unlock-bootloader-root-magisk/

My question is... when I was temp booted into TWRP, and installed the Magisk zip file, it only said that it installed to slot A. But when I was rooted before TWRP released I remember I had to flash the patched boot image to both slots. So using the process I followed, do I have one slot rooted and the other not? If so, is that a problem? Phone seems to work perfectly and root is working.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I've always been a HTC guy but I'm trying :)

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Hey guys - I'm a pixel noob and have a quick question about TWRP/Magisk.

I was rooted before TWRP came out so I flashed the stock boot images back to slots A and B. Then I followed steps 2-12 of the following article to install both Magisk and TWRP using temp TWRP. https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-unlock-bootloader-root-magisk/

My question is... when I was temp booted into TWRP, and installed the Magisk zip file, it only said that it installed to slot A. But when I was rooted before TWRP released I remember I had to flash the patched boot image to both slots. So using the process I followed, do I have one slot rooted and the other not? If so, is that a problem? Phone seems to work perfectly and root is working.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I've always been a HTC guy but I'm trying :)

No, only the current slot needs to be rooted.

Reactions: ktdt00

Carmenlove

Nov 26, 2012
Google Pixel 5
Hello,

I apparently have one of these Pixel 3's that are not working with the current version of TWRP (twrp-3.2.3-0-blueline.img). Yes, I have a 3, not a 3XL. I have done these a hundred times before so I am fairly confident I am not doing anything wrong either. I get the file to load through ADB but on the reboot, it just hangs on the Google screen forever. I have left it for an hour. I have tried everything I can think of. Does anyone have any advice or is in the same situation? I just got my Pixel 3 in the mail on Friday so it's as fresh as they come. I was thinking of fully flashing the TWRP image, but I really don't think it's going to make any difference and I don't want the extra hassle of tracking down the official boot.img from the repo. I guess I will just have to wait until someone who really knows how to debug these comes across one like mine. Clearly, something has changed in what Google is sending out.

For reference:

Android security patch level: September 5,2018
Baseband version: g845-00023-180815-B-4956438
Kernel Version: 4.9.96-g340a9aaf92bc-ab4959234 #0 Thu Aug 16 23:24:20 UTC 2018
Build number: PD1A.180720.031

Much appreciated! $50 donation to anyone who can get me past this and rooted. I'm an old-time Verizon unlimited data planner and I need that tether check disabled.

.\\D-ZFR

Feb 3, 2018
To Pixel 3 owners that succesfully rooted, can you share the build.prop here? /system/build.prop

freebordjunky

Feb 20, 2011
stuttgart
when i booted in to twrp it was encrypted! but i didnt have a PW.... so for everyone to whom that happens, boot up normally and disable your pin ! then you can see your storage in twrp!

i almost flipped this morning hahahaha

jsauder2

Hello,

I apparently have one of these Pixel 3's that are not working with the current version of TWRP (twrp-3.2.3-0-blueline.img). Yes, I have a 3, not a 3XL. I have done these a hundred times before so I am fairly confident I am not doing anything wrong either. I get the file to load through ADB but on the reboot, it just hangs on the Google screen forever. I have left it for an hour. I have tried everything I can think of. Does anyone have any advice or is in the same situation? I just got my Pixel 3 in the mail on Friday so it's as fresh as they come. I was thinking of fully flashing the TWRP image, but I really don't think it's going to make any difference and I don't want the extra hassle of tracking down the official boot.img from the repo. I guess I will just have to wait until someone who really knows how to debug these comes across one like mine. Clearly, something has changed in what Google is sending out.

For reference:

Android security patch level: September 5,2018
Baseband version: g845-00023-180815-B-4956438
Kernel Version: 4.9.96-g340a9aaf92bc-ab4959234 #0 Thu Aug 16 23:24:20 UTC 2018
Build number: PD1A.180720.031

Much appreciated! $50 donation to anyone who can get me past this and rooted. I'm an old-time Verizon unlimited data planner and I need that tether check disabled.
Flash the stock boot image. Then try to fastboot boot "path to TWRP". If it still hangs, redownload TWRP and try again. Here's the stock boot for Pixel 3... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EMkcRkH7n-1bGlVbbzcEJKKPJeE4l9mB/view?usp=drivesdk

Reactions: Carmenlove

Carmenlove

Nov 26, 2012
Google Pixel 5

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I got twrp up and running on my Pixel 3, but when try to install magisk 17.3 via twrp it says it completes but just bootloops. And I have to restore again. How did you go about it?

I have a similar problem. After installing twrp, I can boot to the OS, but Magisk isn't installed and I don't have root. After going back to Twrp and flashing the magisk zip, i can't get past the bootloader screen with a error saying something about failed to load boot.img.

Re-fastboot flashing the patched boot img to both slots brings me back to a rooted state with all magisk modules loaded and applied, but no more twrp. I technically don't need twrp for anything except for nandroid backups, but I guess i could just backup using the adb backup commands and get similar results, right?

Either way, I'm open to suggestions for how to get twrp and magisk working at the same time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MTP does not work in TWRP on the Pixel 3 and will not work until we have time to update the TWRP MTP implementation. You may still use adb to push and pull files.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

The zip install method installs TWRP to both slots.

Installation:
    If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. Copy the zip to your device. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. If you are using a lockscreen pin/pattern/password and do not get prompted to enter your passord, reboot to the bootloader and try again. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. If you are currently rooted, you will need to reflash the stock boot image before installing TWRP. After installing the stock boot image, follow the instructions for installing TWRP. Once TWRP is installed, you will need to reflash root.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

3.2.3-0: Initial release for the Pixel 3 devices

Pixel 3:
    https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel3.html
    https://dl.twrp.me/blueline/

Pixel 3 XL:
    https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel3xl.html
    https://dl.twrp.me/crosshatch/
    @Dees_Troy:

Any chance for an updated version of TWRP with the fix for the infamous "Error applying update: 18 (ErrorCode:: DownloadPayloadPubKeyVerificationError)" issue? I think the version for crosshatch (Pixel 3XL) already has those fixes included.
    In my opinion as we all have one I'm sure
    Just disappointed coming back to Google after being a nexus fan and flashaholic. Seems oneplus is the unofficial new nexus in terms of mods/rom flashing. Really like the craftsman ship of the samsung flagships. But again just my opinion ??*♂️

Having been an owner of every Nexus device, the OnePlus 5, and now the Pixel 3. I would never buy another OnePlus device ever again. Pixel it is from here on out. Your issue, it seems, has nothing to do with Google but more to do with the custom development of the device, which honestly isn't struggling at all. There is plenty of solid work out there available for the Pixel 3.

You're unfortunately just suffering due to Ethan's (deestroy) inability to provide timely updates for the device.

In any event, it's a Pixel. You don't NEED to rely on TWRP. You have the ability to flash images via fastboot. Use that and bypass the headaches that come from the lack of QA on the TWRP side.
    Great news, twrp 3.3.0.0 is out https://dl.twrp.me/blueline/

For information and changelog https://www.xda-developers.com/twrp-3-3-0-release/

Sent from my Pixel 3 using XDA Labs