TWRP 3.2.3-2 for Pixel 3

Search This thread
I just got a pixel 3 unlocked activated. however it is stuck on this every time I try to send twrp using the instructions in the OP:

fastboot: error: cannot load 'path/to/twrp.img': No such file or directory

blueline MP1.0(ROW)
b1c1-0.2-6085603
g845-00096-200114-B-6134206
89CX08CCW
production
yes
4gb micron LPDDR4X
128 micron
unlocked
b

before i read through every post in the forum, I thought I would ask first.
FYI, on windows 11 tried standard adb and also adb from platform-tools directory including with admin priveleges.
fastboot devices shows device 89cx08ccw but i keep getting the twrp img error above when typing in:
fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
I just got a pixel 3 unlocked activated. however it is stuck on this every time I try to send twrp using the instructions in the OP:

fastboot: error: cannot load 'path/to/twrp.img': No such file or directory

blueline MP1.0(ROW)
b1c1-0.2-6085603
g845-00096-200114-B-6134206
89CX08CCW
production
yes
4gb micron LPDDR4X
128 micron
unlocked
b

before i read through every post in the forum, I thought I would ask first.
FYI, on windows 11 tried standard adb and also adb from platform-tools directory including with admin priveleges.
fastboot devices shows device 89cx08ccw but i keep getting the twrp img error above when typing in:
Are you litterally using "path/to/twrp.img" ? You have to use the actual path to the twrp.img file, and the actual name of the twrp.img file. If you have both platform tools and twrp.img in the current directory, you can eliminate the path/to part.

Use platform tools, not the standard adb.

Reactions: curiousrom
Are you litterally using "path/to/twrp.img" ? You have to use the actual path to the twrp.img file, and the actual name of the twrp.img file. If you have both platform tools and twrp.img in the current directory, you can eliminate the path/to part.

Use platform tools, not the standard adb.
Yup, Im a derp. that is exactly what I was typing in. getting a new error now that I have never experienced:

Sending 'boot.img' (65536 KB) OKAY [ 1.504s]
Booting FAILED (remote: 'Error verifying the received boot.img: Buffer Too Small')
fastboot: error: Command failed

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
Yup, Im a derp. that is exactly what I was typing in. getting a new error now that I have never experienced:

Sending 'boot.img' (65536 KB) OKAY [ 1.504s]
Booting FAILED (remote: 'Error verifying the received boot.img: Buffer Too Small')
fastboot: error: Command failed
Since you are posting in this thread, I assume you are using an old version of TWRP that does not work with newer Android versions. There is a new TWRP build that works on Android 11, and mostly works on Android 12. Look just a couple of posts above your post.

Since you are posting in this thread, I assume you are using an old version of TWRP that does not work with newer Android versions. There is a new TWRP build that works on Android 11, and mostly works on Android 12. Look just a couple of posts above your post.
I was using the newest one. That was the first one I downloaded and nobody had posted any comments on the other thread. I got it. Was having some trouble with the push command to send it to the device since MTP didnt work. After bricking it, reflashing it back to 12 then resending twrp, I got them both installed. This is my first pixel, and I'm not really experienced with the whole a/b partitions. Now to see if I can brick it again while flashing magisk, lol.

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
I was using the newest one. That was the first one I downloaded and nobody had posted any comments on the other thread. I got it. Was having some trouble with the push command to send it to the device since MTP didnt work. After bricking it, reflashing it back to 12 then resending twrp, I got them both installed. This is my first pixel, and I'm not really experienced with the whole a/b partitions. Now to see if I can brick it again while flashing magisk, lol.
Please let me know how installing both TWRP and Magisk works out. It is my understanding installing both together is more complicated than on non-a/b devices. I just boot TWRP when I need it, instead of installing it.

Please let me know how installing both TWRP and Magisk works out. It is my understanding installing both together is more complicated than on non-a/b devices. I just boot TWRP when I need it, instead of installing it.
It worked out pretty well from what I experienced. I am not that handy with the commands from the command prompt because I only mess around with it when i'm rooting a phone and had extra problems because for some reason this phone could not drag and drop files from my PC when connected. My one plus works fine with the same cable but I am assuming there are issues with the pixel 3 driver similar to pixel c. Soo with that being said, I had to use command prompts for sending the files back and forth and at one point i just installed mega on the phone to drop the modified boot image to the computer to flash it on the phone.

I had a couple reasons for this. First is that I did not want to login to this device with my google account. I am a sprint customer and I wanted to activate this device with a t-mobile esim so I can send it to my mom since she is on my plan. Since the device has been registered on my account, and on the network, I can now send it to her and activate it on her line when she gets it. I also wanted to root the phone and have ad blockers, you tube vanced, vpn hotspot, and a couple other beneficial apps on there instead of getting her a phone full of bloatware and limited capabilities. (or else I would have got her an iphone se, lol). That is the reason for magisk, even though the unlocked pixel 3 is nice with very little bloatware on it and the installed tmobile apps that came with the 12 update were very easily removed.

In regards to getting twrp installed, I did brick the device once because i flashed it to the other partition, which is a bad move. I reflashed from the google official image to upgrade to 12. Don't change from A to B in twrp when you are in there, just click boot to system and thats it. There is NO need to switch partitions. I just wanted to make sure this device is 'unattended' not like a tethered jailbreak. It also made me realize to re-root my pixel c, I will have to do something similar with sending that boot image back and forth, but once its done, good riddance. So the big challenge was sending the files back and forth from the device, but if yours loads up in your computer it will be way easier. Mine only shows up if i switch it camera mode, and only then the photo folder, but maybe its a defect from buying a used/refurbished phone. I mean it shows up in adb, but not as a device with folders in my windows explorer for whatever reason

This article was used as reference for pulling the files back and forth:

Last edited:
Reactions: dcarvil

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
It worked out pretty well from what I experienced. I am not that handy with the commands from the command prompt because I only mess around with it when i'm rooting a phone and had extra problems because for some reason this phone could not drag and drop files from my PC when connected. My one plus works fine with the same cable but I am assuming there are issues with the pixel 3 driver similar to pixel c. Soo with that being said, I had to use command prompts for sending the files back and forth and at one point i just installed mega on the phone to drop the modified boot image to the computer to flash it on the phone.

I had a couple reasons for this. First is that I did not want to login to this device with my google account. I am a sprint customer and I wanted to activate this device with a t-mobile esim so I can send it to my mom since she is on my plan. Since the device has been registered on my account, and on the network, I can now send it to her and activate it on her line when she gets it. I also wanted to root the phone and have ad blockers, you tube vanced, vpn hotspot, and a couple other beneficial apps on there instead of getting her a phone full of bloatware and limited capabilities. (or else I would have got her an iphone se, lol). That is the reason for magisk, even though the unlocked pixel 3 is nice with very little bloatware on it and the installed tmobile apps that came with the 12 update were very easily removed.

In regards to getting twrp installed, I did brick the device once because i flashed it to the other partition, which is a bad move. I reflashed from the google official image to upgrade to 12. Don't change from A to B in twrp when you are in there, just click boot to system and thats it. There is NO need to switch partitions. I just wanted to make sure this device is 'unattended' not like a tethered jailbreak. It also made me realize to re-root my pixel c, I will have to do something similar with sending that boot image back and forth, but once its done, good riddance. So the big challenge was sending the files back and forth from the device, but if yours loads up in your computer it will be way easier. Mine only shows up if i switch it camera mode, and only then the photo folder, but maybe its a defect from buying a used/refurbished phone. I mean it shows up in adb, but not as a device with folders in my windows explorer for whatever reason

This article was used as reference for pulling the files back and forth:
Thanks for the update. Many file managers have the capability to get/put files on your PC. Here is one you can install without the Play Store.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MTP does not work in TWRP on the Pixel 3 and will not work until we have time to update the TWRP MTP implementation. You may still use adb to push and pull files.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

The zip install method installs TWRP to both slots.

Installation:
    If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. Copy the zip to your device. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. If you are using a lockscreen pin/pattern/password and do not get prompted to enter your passord, reboot to the bootloader and try again. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. If you are currently rooted, you will need to reflash the stock boot image before installing TWRP. After installing the stock boot image, follow the instructions for installing TWRP. Once TWRP is installed, you will need to reflash root.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

3.2.3-0: Initial release for the Pixel 3 devices

Pixel 3:
    https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel3.html
    https://dl.twrp.me/blueline/

Pixel 3 XL:
    https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel3xl.html
    https://dl.twrp.me/crosshatch/
    @Dees_Troy:

Any chance for an updated version of TWRP with the fix for the infamous "Error applying update: 18 (ErrorCode:: DownloadPayloadPubKeyVerificationError)" issue? I think the version for crosshatch (Pixel 3XL) already has those fixes included.
    In my opinion as we all have one I'm sure
    Just disappointed coming back to Google after being a nexus fan and flashaholic. Seems oneplus is the unofficial new nexus in terms of mods/rom flashing. Really like the craftsman ship of the samsung flagships. But again just my opinion ??*♂️

Having been an owner of every Nexus device, the OnePlus 5, and now the Pixel 3. I would never buy another OnePlus device ever again. Pixel it is from here on out. Your issue, it seems, has nothing to do with Google but more to do with the custom development of the device, which honestly isn't struggling at all. There is plenty of solid work out there available for the Pixel 3.

You're unfortunately just suffering due to Ethan's (deestroy) inability to provide timely updates for the device.

In any event, it's a Pixel. You don't NEED to rely on TWRP. You have the ability to flash images via fastboot. Use that and bypass the headaches that come from the lack of QA on the TWRP side.
    Great news, twrp 3.3.0.0 is out https://dl.twrp.me/blueline/

For information and changelog https://www.xda-developers.com/twrp-3-3-0-release/

Sent from my Pixel 3 using XDA Labs