TWRP 3.2.3-2 for Pixel 3

Search This thread

Cpt Spacewreck

Feb 17, 2021
Google Nexus 4
LG Nexus 5X
I'm on Lineage 17.1 for microg and I can't get past the point of flashing twrp temporarily (via adb sideload on LineageOS recovery). When twrp asks me for decryption password it fails. I used my pin and it didn't work, i disabled security completely and it didn't work either. "default_password" and "password" had no effect, too.
Am I doing something wrong here?
Edit: Same goes for fastboot boot

Last edited:
Reactions: vulturext

schrstopph

Jan 19, 2018
I'm on Lineage 17.1 for microg and I can't get past the point of flashing twrp temporarily (via adb sideload on LineageOS recovery). When twrp asks me for decryption password it fails. I used my pin and it didn't work, i disabled security completely and it didn't work either. "default_password" and "password" had no effect, too.
Am I doing something wrong here?
Edit: Same goes for fastboot boot
I'm had the same experience a while back but didn't post because I was sure it was error on my end. An answer to this would be great as I had no security on my phone. I wonder if theres a type of built in password that can be extracted or something. I will say that I have not had luck with any version of lineageos, going back many builds. Most recently the Google fi hiccup which I found wasn't worth the effort to use fix. Just underwhelmed with it. Big fan of pixeldust for blueline though. Ease of installation and rock solid as of today. I appreciate the work done by everyone and the insight provided by questions I perhaps didn't even think to ask.

Valiante

Jul 7, 2013
Working perfectly so far, was able to create backups and decrypt successfully. Not sure about restore yet though.

Looks like "restore" is completely botched. Unable to boot into the system and stuck at fastboot. Go figure.

EDIT: Restored data only, saved my device.

Last edited:

shaunoleary

Jan 27, 2013
Rockhampton
Looks like "restore" is completely botched. Unable to boot into the system and stuck at fastboot. Go figure.

EDIT: Restored data only, saved my device.
Hey,

I'm curious how you managed to get into TWRP from the password entry screen, and get it to work? I've tried a PIN and pattern lock, but it refuses to accept the password.

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers! :)

shaunoleary

Jan 27, 2013
Rockhampton
TWRP 3.5.0: Download
Please test this build and if there's any bug/issue let me know.

Thanks.
Hi rawstar11,

Tried the build with fastboot boot twrp-3.5.0-0-test-blueline.img.

Same here, boot to TWRP/Teamwin screen, will not proceed any further. Waited for several minutes, no progress. Pressing power/volume keys did nothing. However, I was able to reboot to system by simply sending 'adb reboot'. Pixel 3/blueline, running LineageOS 18.1.

Great to see this is still being worked on. Is there anything further I can do to help test/debug?

koberulz

Oct 4, 2012
Perth
I'm on Android 11, is there no way to use TWRP at all or just no way to install it? TiBu is being a pain and I want to try flashing the update.zip rather than the batch process. Obviously without TWRP that's a no-go but all I really need to be able to do is boot, not install, right? That's where it was at with Android 10 last time I checked on that, which was a while ago.

Spannaa

Recognized Contributor / Themer
Sep 13, 2010
Cardiff
Huawei Nexus 6P
Google Pixel 6
I'm on Android 11, is there no way to use TWRP at all or just no way to install it? TiBu is being a pain and I want to try flashing the update.zip rather than the batch process. Obviously without TWRP that's a no-go but all I really need to be able to do is boot, not install, right? That's where it was at with Android 10 last time I checked on that, which was a while ago.
There's no way to use TWRP with Android 11 on a Pixel 3.

TiBu hasn't been updated since 2019 and can't backup and restore split apks. I switched to Swift Backup over a year ago because it works.

koberulz

Oct 4, 2012
Perth
I think I've mostly figured it out - I'd rather not be doing this late at night in a rush, to be honest - but it doesn't seem to have the same system data options as TiBu nor does it seem to allow for backing up/restoring apps and data separately, or handling system apps distinctly from user apps.

koberulz

Oct 4, 2012
Perth
So I restored everything with Swift Backup, but had to use TiBu to restore Chrome bookmarks/home screen/etc, and I've been logged out of Reddit for some reason.

Spannaa

Recognized Contributor / Themer
Sep 13, 2010
Cardiff
Huawei Nexus 6P
Google Pixel 6
nor does it seem to allow for backing up/restoring apps and data separately, or handling system apps distinctly from user apps.
It's off topic here but Swift is different to TiBu.
You can backup and restore apps, splits, data, external data and expansion both in bulk and/or individually for both user and system apps.
Read the Swift FAQ.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MTP does not work in TWRP on the Pixel 3 and will not work until we have time to update the TWRP MTP implementation. You may still use adb to push and pull files.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

The zip install method installs TWRP to both slots.

Installation:
    If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. Copy the zip to your device. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. If you are using a lockscreen pin/pattern/password and do not get prompted to enter your passord, reboot to the bootloader and try again. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. If you are currently rooted, you will need to reflash the stock boot image before installing TWRP. After installing the stock boot image, follow the instructions for installing TWRP. Once TWRP is installed, you will need to reflash root.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

3.2.3-0: Initial release for the Pixel 3 devices

Pixel 3:
    https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel3.html
    https://dl.twrp.me/blueline/

Pixel 3 XL:
    https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel3xl.html
    https://dl.twrp.me/crosshatch/
    @Dees_Troy:

Any chance for an updated version of TWRP with the fix for the infamous "Error applying update: 18 (ErrorCode:: DownloadPayloadPubKeyVerificationError)" issue? I think the version for crosshatch (Pixel 3XL) already has those fixes included.
    In my opinion as we all have one I'm sure
    Just disappointed coming back to Google after being a nexus fan and flashaholic. Seems oneplus is the unofficial new nexus in terms of mods/rom flashing. Really like the craftsman ship of the samsung flagships. But again just my opinion ??*♂️

Having been an owner of every Nexus device, the OnePlus 5, and now the Pixel 3. I would never buy another OnePlus device ever again. Pixel it is from here on out. Your issue, it seems, has nothing to do with Google but more to do with the custom development of the device, which honestly isn't struggling at all. There is plenty of solid work out there available for the Pixel 3.

You're unfortunately just suffering due to Ethan's (deestroy) inability to provide timely updates for the device.

In any event, it's a Pixel. You don't NEED to rely on TWRP. You have the ability to flash images via fastboot. Use that and bypass the headaches that come from the lack of QA on the TWRP side.
    Great news, twrp 3.3.0.0 is out https://dl.twrp.me/blueline/

For information and changelog https://www.xda-developers.com/twrp-3-3-0-release/

Sent from my Pixel 3 using XDA Labs