TWRP 3.2 on android 8.1

Search This thread

henk-jan

Nov 21, 2004
Sure does. I'm on the latest Dev preview with twrp 3.2 and magisk 14.5 beta. Flash everything and surprisingly, everything stuck on the first try.

How did you do it. I'm on Pixel , 128 GB, Oreo 8.1 (nov) but TWRP doesn't allow to attain the disk
I booted the 3.2.0-0.img, flashed the zip file but no way.

kingbri

Aug 23, 2017
How did you do it. I'm on Pixel , 128 GB, Oreo 8.1 (nov) but TWRP doesn't allow to attain the disk
I booted the 3.2.0-0.img, flashed the zip file but no way.

I know that you have to factory reset and then install TWRP to work on swipe unlock every time. I'm asking if 3.2 fixed this problem so that I can log in using my password instead of removing my screen lock every single time

How did you get elementalx on 8.1, it keeps failing for me

Pain-N-Panic

Mar 24, 2013
Droid
Can you use a password with this?

Not sure. I intentionally did not set a password prior to using it just in case twrp wasn't compatible with a password like the previous version.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

These are the steps I took to get twrp 3.2 working (without using a pin/password):

Clean flash 8.1 image
Boot into phone, setup device withOUT pin
Boot to bootloader
Fastboot boot twrp 3.2
Flash 3.2 installer zip
Reboot recovery
Flash 14.5 magisk beta
Flash 14.5 magisk a 2nd time
Reboot system.

henk-jan

Nov 21, 2004
I know that you have to factory reset and then install TWRP to work on swipe unlock every time. I'm asking if 3.2 fixed this problem so that I can log in using my password instead of removing my screen lock every single time

Thanks. I don't like a factory reset (till now I managed a dirty flash) because of the many apps I use
I don't have ElementalX at the moment installed, that's why I used ( ). I'm waiting for a update, probably when 8.1 is no longer beta.

Pain-N-Panic

Mar 24, 2013
Droid
Thanks. I don't like a factory reset (till now I managed a dirty flash) because of the many apps I use
I don't have ElementalX at the moment installed, that's why I used ( ). I'm waiting for a update, probably when 8.1 is no longer beta.

You'll only get away with dirty flashing for so long. I did the same as you for a while and ended up with a corrupted data partition. I was forced to do a factory reset and lost all data on my phone. Literally had to start from scratch.

Now, I clean flash (full wipe) every time. I make a backup of all of my apps with titanium backup. I adb pull my titanium folder, DCIM folder (photos) and my twrp folder (nandroid backup) to my PC. After I clean flash I use adb to push them back to my SD card. Reinstall titanium from the play store and restore all apps from my backup folder.

kingbri

Aug 23, 2017
You'll only get away with dirty flashing for so long. I did the same as you for a while and ended up with a corrupted data partition. I was forced to do a factory reset and lost all data on my phone. Literally had to start from scratch.

Now, I clean flash (full wipe) every time. I make a backup of all of my apps with titanium backup. I adb pull my titanium folder, DCIM folder (photos) and my twrp folder (nandroid backup) to my PC. After I clean flash I use adb to push them back to my SD card. Reinstall titanium from the play store and restore all apps from my backup folder.

Twrp would probably update it once 8.1 releases

HACK3DANDR0ID

May 25, 2017
New Jersey

No it didnt fix the encryption...

Doenerbude

Oct 31, 2016
Hi,

just flashed the 8.1 Factory Image (without -w option) and TWRP fails to decrypt.
Tried setting a password instead of PIN but no success.

Wipe is no option for me.
Any chance to get the decryption working?

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Hi,

just flashed the 8.1 Factory Image (without -w option) and TWRP fails to decrypt.

I am assuming you have things to flash, like root? Put the files on a USB and use the adapter to plug it into the phone. Hit cancel interpretation at the password screen and then you can select storage for the USB and flash the zips from there.

jiajialing

Feb 18, 2008
before dirty flash 8.1, remove all patten/fingerprint, then flash 8.1, install twrp
flash all zips you need
re-enable your patten/fingerprint, just leave twrp there, till next update.

Doenerbude

Oct 31, 2016
It worked with both -removing any pin/passwort/pattern or in case you don't want to do this putting the files on an USB-C Stick, fastboot boot twrp.img and mount the USB-OTG :)

cowrecked

Nov 28, 2011
Just got everything working on 8.1, but TWRP does ask for a password instead of a pattern unlock. I got around this by the following method:
in fastboot:
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.0-0-marlin.img

since my phone is encrypted with a pattern, I had to "cancel" out of the prompt and sideload install everything, starting with TWRP 3.2:
adb sideload twrp-pixel-installer-marlin-3.2.0-0.zip

then rebooted into recovery:
adb reboot recovery

since unlocking encryption still didn't work, I sideloaded Magisk first:
adb sideload Magisk-v14.5(1456).zip

and then SuperSU:
SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip

rebooted to system, everything works as it should. passes safetynet check.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Does TWRP 3.2.0-0 work on 8.1?
    Does TWRP 3.2.0-0 work on 8.1?

Sure does. I'm on the latest Dev preview with twrp 3.2 and magisk 14.5 beta. Flash everything and surprisingly, everything stuck on the first try.
    Hi,

You must disable ALL PASSWORDS on device to use TWRP decrypted...

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

Why are you flashing both? New to Magisk so perhaps I am missing something.

I think he meant either Magisk or SuperSU, not both.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone