• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

TWRP 3.3.1-1 for Pixel 3A [OFFICIAL]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Wiebenor

Nov 26, 2015
The procedure is:

* Unroot using the Magisk Manager app's "UNINSTALL" option (bottom of main screen), but DO NOT REBOOT. This restores the boot partition so that the update can be installed.¹
* Apply the update. It takes a while, especially if it is "optimizing apps". DO NOT REBOOT.
* Go back into Magisk Manager and install Magisk again, selecting "Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA)".
* Only then should you reboot.

__
¹ The update only applies against unmodified partitions and will checksum them before applying.

Thanks a lot... I figured out that was the problem when I posted on a more appropriate thread... But still, I thank you a lot...

Now I see why reading and comprehension was stressed so much in grade school.

I so very hope this reply get all the thanks and praise it deserves.

... Wow, okay. Tough crowd. Maybe, instead of noobs, they're folks coming over here from other device forums and confused as to why a Pixel device of all things wouldn't have a working TWRP on Q. *waves* Hi!

I just got my wife a Pixel 3a for an early Christmas present, was about to set it up this weekend, and came looking to see how you folks do it (OnePlus 6 user here, happily running TWRP & Magisk on Q, although it takes some jumping through hoops to get to that point), but having read that article you linked... Geez, that's some overcomplicated bullshit Google's doing to the newer Pixels' partitioning & recovery setups. I don't envy y'all. Still, somewhat confusing reading "TWRP DOESN'T WORK ON Q ZOMG WTFBBQ CAN'T YOU DROOLING IDIOTS READ?!" when I literally have it working fine on a different phone. Maybe ever-so-slightly modify the note to say "TWRP doesn't currently work on Android Q on the Pixel 3, 3a, 4, and presumably any newer Pixel series due to the changes Google made to the AOSP recovery structure and dynamic partitioning those devices employ that no other manufacturer uses". I mean, I know I'm in the Pixel 3a forums and not OP6, but it's like walking into an alternate universe and hearing people yell "Green doesn't exist!" and you look down at your green shirt and just back away slowly...

But then, I guess I did actually read the linked explanation before posting, and I guess that IS the exception rather than the rule on XDA these days (and as a parent of 3, boy howdy do I understand where Dees_Troy is coming from). Anyway, if it's of any use to development here, maybe go talk to @mauronofrio (TWRP dev for OP6) because it's a nut he seems to have partially cracked, although the difference in recovery layout may make it entirely pointless to compare.

jojo334

May 29, 2018
The whole point is that a LOT of people dont read the info that is there. It clearly says DOES NOT WORK ON Q, yet someone goes ahead and does it. So they either A) didnt read the OP, or B) they thought they knew better, then want to cone get help from the poster that they didn't liatten to to begin with. I think most fall in the A category. And the problem there is that people should do research before messing with ANYTHING they dont know about, research and gather as much info as you can so the can understand if you do this then that happens, etc etc. Instead someone will go into a post on how to root the XYZ phone, and then ask someone " hey... How do I root my XYZ phone" instead of reading through the OP and comments etc. The irony of these " smart" phones and the internet is that it has made people impatient, people want to be spoon fed.... That's just going to leave us with a bunch of idiots, that cant think for them selves, unless someone is right there holding their hand telling them what to. So really.... People just need to fricken read and pay attention.

Reactions: dkryder

Skittles9823

Recognized Contributor
Jan 9, 2015
Sydney
Google Pixel 3a XL
I mean, I know I'm in the Pixel 3a forums and not OP6, but it's like walking into an alternate universe and hearing people yell "Green doesn't exist!" and you look down at your green shirt and just back away slowly...

But then, I guess I did actually read the linked explanation before posting, and I guess that IS the exception rather than the rule on XDA these days (and as a parent of 3, boy howdy do I understand where Dees_Troy is coming from). Anyway, if it's of any use to development here, maybe go talk to @mauronofrio (TWRP dev for OP6) because it's a nut he seems to have partially cracked, although the difference in recovery layout may make it entirely pointless to compare.

For the first part quoted, lmao yea different device forums do tend to be like that.

As for the second, I don't think the OP6 has the same partitioning system as the newer pixels do, there is no possible way currently to mount the needed partitions as read write to get a fully functional TWRP.

Sent from my Google Pixel 3a XL using XDA Labs

Reactions: Terminator.J

dkryder

Sep 26, 2013
Google Pixel 5a
as i see it google has started using a file system similar to squashfs. i've been using an omega2+ since they came out a couple years back that uses squashfs. squashfs natively is the same way on write to /system. what was developed there is a method called /overlay. basically a copy is created and the /system of the copy is created which can be mounted read, write. only hitch is when firmware is updated backups need to be created. unless they can sorta automate that , going through the procedure each month might be tedious for some. i've got a lot of respect for those at TWRP so once they get the time they will have it solved, i think. anybody interesting in /overlay as a part of a solution should look at squashfs.

jetracer

Jul 9, 2010
Brand new 3a Xl, bootloader unlocked, on 9. Boot to twrp goes fine, install the zip to install twrp, restart to recovery and it bootloops and boots the system. Any idea what i missed?

ZVNexus

Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Brand new 3a Xl, bootloader unlocked, on 9. Boot to twrp goes fine, install the zip to install twrp, restart to recovery and it bootloops and boots the system. Any idea what i missed?

DO NOT USE ANDROID 9. Using 9 just so you can have TWRP is stupid. Go use Android 10 and be sad because TWRP won't be supported on this device for awhile, they still haven't even started on 10 since October (or at least from what I can see), and Android 11's developer preview is just around the corner.

jetracer

Jul 9, 2010
DO NOT USE ANDROID 9. Using 9 just so you can have TWRP is stupid. Go use Android 10 and be sad because TWRP won't be supported on this device for awhile, they still haven't even started on 10 since October (or at least from what I can see), and Android 11's developer preview is just around the corner.

Ok so that's your opinion.. now that your rant is over any thoughts on the issue i commented about? Or am i just gonna get another don't bother responses.. actually if that is going to be your response just don't bother ill get the hint.

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010

Did you replaced the stock kernel with a kernel that supports LZMA compression? Because by the sounds of it, you skipped this step.

Last edited:

dkryder

Sep 26, 2013
Google Pixel 5a
Side note, I read the lineage 17.1 released comes with the recovery. Which made me wonder if those phones that the ROM runs on handle the whole r/w /system issue different than pixels since no pixels were in the list of supported devices.

digital_dad

Apr 23, 2020
Hi everybody. Noob here. I understand that I need to flash a kernel that supports LZMA compression, but I don't know where to look to find these kernels. Can somebody post a link where I can find them? Can I get a LineageOS kernel that supports LZMA compression? Any response is much appreciated.

xdadevnube

Jun 28, 2011
Hi everybody. Noob here. I understand that I need to flash a kernel that supports LZMA compression, but I don't know where to look to find these kernels. Can somebody post a link where I can find them? Can I get a LineageOS kernel that supports LZMA compression? Any response is much appreciated.

If you're running LineageOS 17, I don't think there is a way to get TWRP functioning at the same time.
If you're running LineageOS 16, then TWRP works when using EX kernel. However, there is standby battery drain on LineageOS 16 with EX kernel on the Pixel 3a (device only deep sleeps around 60% of the time). I don't know if the battery drain occurs with the included kernel, but I suspect it does. This cuts standby time in half according to my testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or TWRP3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
    [I]#include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
     * Your warranty is not void.
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
     */[/I]

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

Note: Please be aware that you cannot install this without a kernel with LZMA compression support, I believe most ROMs have included my commit for this so you should be good for all custom ROMs and kernels (Not Android 10), if not please file a request to the maintainer.

To follow up, please be aware that TWRP is currently not compatible with Android 10. If you would like to use TWRP you will need to go back to Android 9. If you would like more information you can read at the link here.

Installation:

If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. Use ADB or MTP to transfer the zip onto your device.

Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. The zip will install TWRP to both boot slots. Installing TWRP at this time will remove root if you are currently rooted.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

Changelog:
    [BETA]
    3.3.1-0: Initial release for Pixel 3A devices
    3.3.1-1: Fixed having to manually change slots before rebooting.
    3.3.1-2: Updated to July blobs!
    3.3.1-3: Can now install TWRP to boot image. ADB, MTP, LOGD, Repack Tools and Logcat have all been removed to save the necessary space for this to work. You can grab stuff while in the OS, then flash it in TWRP (Keep in mind I have only tested this on stock as of now, feel free to test it on whatever ROM you use. It should work, but let me know if it doesn't).
    3.3.1-4: Changed back to LZMA compression, also added back all the features besides ADB/Logcat. As long as your kernel supports LZMA you will be able to take advantage of installing it permanently without having to worry about space restrictions.
    3.3.1-5:
    Add persist entry to fstab
    * To allow TWRP to store a backup settings file on /persist
    and also to be used as QCOM time fix source during early boot.
    Revert "Don't include logcat."
    Revert "Don't include repack tools."
    3.3.1-6:
    Revert "Revert "Don't include repack tools.""
    Add haptics firmware.
    * This obviously on it's own isn't enough to get haptics working for the 3A in TWRP, but its a start.
    Don't include a precompiled update_engine_sideload
    * This should fix the issue of flashing officials for StatiXOS

[STABLE]
    3.3.1-0: Initial official release!

Download:
    https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel3a.html

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP, Tool/Utility for the Google Pixel 3a

Contributors
    ZVNexus, janjan
    Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_google_bonito

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.3.1-0
    Stable Release Date: 2019-07-17
    Current Beta Version: 3.3.1-6
    Beta Release Date: 2019-06-27

Created 2019-06-27
    Last Updated 2019-11-15
    3.3.1-3: Can now install TWRP to boot image. ADB, MTP, LOGD, Repack Tools and Logcat have all been removed to save the necessary space for this to work. You can grab stuff while in the OS, then flash it in TWRP (Keep in mind I have only tested this on stock as of now, feel free to test it on whatever ROM you use. It should work, but let me know if it doesn't).

Slight word of warning, it can't install Magisk either as that slight change in size is just enough to go over the edge. I'll continue trimming TWRP down as much as I can, but at a certain point there's not much more I can do.

Basically, what you should take from this is if you so much as even touch the boot image spare from installing TWRP it'll just refuse to boot. Not a release you probably want to flash unless this interests you.
    Just reuploaded 3.3.1-6 with one key fix, didn't feel like making a whole new version.

USB OTG now works :)
    Just bought a flash drive so I can try and fix issues for people who use OTG