• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

TWRP 3.3.1 & Root for Moto 1 Vision

Search This thread

ilia3367

Oct 29, 2007
Emerald City
Thanks to the efforts of yuri-2016 and and my humble contribution, the TWRP 3.3.1 was made from scratch and a new method of Root was tested.
Accept this gift from the bottom of your heart! :highfive:

Instructions
USB debugging must be enabled on the phone and the bootloader must be unlocked!
1. Download attached archive TWRP_Root_Moto_One_Vision.zip and extract files from it in the following order::
- .bat executive file and vbmeta.img to the folder with the firmware files;
- TWRP-3.3.1_Motorola_One_Vision.img to \adb\ folder.
- TWRP-3.3.1_Installer_Motorola_One_Vision.zip, Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip, Magisk Installer, MagiskManager copy to External SDcard in your phone.
2. Load phone in fastboot mode, then connect it to PC, then start an executive file .bat. At the end of flashing the phone will reboot into bootloader-mode and then TWRP again.
3. In the Recovery at the very beginning we put a checkmark in the checkbox to avoid this request in future, and give permission to modify the system for writing.
4. Go to the Wipe page and run the Format Data for decryption. Enter "yes" for the request. Exit to the Main Menu and reboot to Bootloader.
5. Attention! You mus BOOT into Recovery mode (DO NOT INSTALL it !), through the command:
Code:
fastboot boot C:\adb\TWRP-3.3.1_Motorola_One_Vision.img
6. Flash an archive TWRP-3.3.1_Installer_Motorola_One_Vision.zip which will make TWRP permanent.
NOTE: If you want to keep the stock Recovery , do not install this archive, but in order to boot into TWRP you will need to run the command from Step 5 every time.
7. Configure TWRP via “Settings”-page (time, time zone, language, etc.) as you want.
8. Go to “Install” page and flash the Magisk Installer , and flash Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip
9. Reboot in System. Phone will reboot several times, don`t worry. Perform initial settings again.
10. Install MagiskManager.apk, because the application installed in the system generates an error and does not start.

Now your device has a custom recovery TWRP and Root rights! :good: :victory:

01/10/2019 New instruction have been made
30/09/2019 New build TWRP !!!
Fixed: Removed the "Enable MTP" button.

Note: Who will reinstall the new TWRP build over the old one, follow these steps:
1. Download new TWRP_Root_Moto_One_Vision.zip
2. Load into Recovery mode via the command:
Code:
3. Install TWRP-3.3.1_Installer_Motorola_One_Vision.zip
4. Flash Magisk installer, Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip.
5. Reboot in the Recovery again.
6. Try to adjust the brightness, connect USB-OTG, check the absence of the "Enable MTP" button.

Old instructions
Friends! I got the Root for this device.
I'm not saying it's the only way to get a Root. I suggest something I used on my own device.
You are responsible for everything you do with your device!

Getting Root was performed on firmware XT1970-3_KANE_RETEU_DS_9.0_PSA29.160-30

Attention! The process of receiving the Root will delete all your data from the device.
1. The bootloader must be unlocked on the device beforehand.
2. Extract files from the archive https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xgTVlIXOFWq59I1-D9bnRlj1heJycT_I :
- vbmeta.img, vbmeta_patch.img and boot_patch.img to the adb folder;
- MagiskManager-v7.3.4.apk to a convenient folder for you. It will then need to be copied either to the phone memory or to the SD Card.
3. Load the device into fastboot mode and connect it to your PC.
4. Flash vbmeta.img with the command:
Code:
fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta.img
5. Flash boot_patch.img with the command:
Code:
fastboot flash boot_a boot_patch.img
6. Flash vbmeta_patch.img command:
Code:
fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta_patch.img
7. Load the device into the system by pressing the Start button. Phone will reboot in Recovery where there will be a warning that it is necessary to execute Factory reset. It is necessary to give your consent.
The phone will reboot several times again, don't worry.
8. Perform the initial setup. Install MagiskManager-v7.3.4.apk.
9. Launch the MagiskManager application. He will offer to update the application, click the Yes button. The phone will reboot.
Your device now has Root permissions and access to the system!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190926-235744.png
    Screenshot_20190926-235744.png
    159.8 KB · Views: 3,366
  • Screenshot_20190927-003418.png
    Screenshot_20190927-003418.png
    149.6 KB · Views: 3,362
  • Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-24-56.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-24-56.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 3,142
  • Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-25-14.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-25-14.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 2,712
  • Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-25-44.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-25-44.png
    156.8 KB · Views: 2,620
  • Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-25-51.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-25-51.png
    113.2 KB · Views: 2,467
  • Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-25-58.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-25-58.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,321
  • Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-26-07.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-26-07.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 2,118
  • Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-26-14.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-26-14.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 2,023
  • Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-26-29.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-26-29.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,957
  • Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-26-34.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-26-34.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,899
  • Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-27-05.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-27-05.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,998
Last edited:

nitanmarcel

Jul 14, 2015
Suceava
Unlock the bootloader
Download the stock rom
Install magisk manager
Click install and chose patch boot image
Copy the patched boot image to your PC
Flash the new image using ADB

I think these are the steps to root the phone

AndresOrue

Nov 6, 2011
Rosario
@ilia3367 before Root and after unlock the bootloader when I touched the system update option, it said: "system integrity is compromised" now after Root when i touch it , it check for update again. It means that I can update the firmware via ota?

tys0n

@ilia3367 before Root and after unlock the bootloader when I touched the system update option, it said: "system integrity is compromised" now after Root when i touch it , it check for update again. It means that I can update the firmware via ota?
Magisk probably hides the bootloader status so that update check works, but it will most likely fail during install. At least that's how it works on moto one and moto one power.
On moto one I either reflash current build without wipe and then take ota and re-root after, or just flash the update if I get them early, and re-root-

Reactions: AndresOrue

tys0n

I don't think it's possible. The system must be completely virgin to update the OTA. Then why do I need a Root? I need it to customize the system.
Thanks a lot. I just unlocked my BL for the second time and this root method is working fine.
May I ask if you just used magisk manager to patch boot, cause when I do I get error on flash.
Code:
(bootloader) is-logical:boot_a: not found
Sending 'boot_a' (33792 KB)                        OKAY [  1.172s]
Writing 'boot_a'                                   FAILED (Status read failed (Too many links))
And how did you patch vbmeta?
I'm just curious since this patched boot isn't the latest and I wonder how to make this work with the latest boot.img from September patch update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks to the efforts of yuri-2016 and and my humble contribution, the TWRP 3.3.1 was made from scratch and a new method of Root was tested.
    Accept this gift from the bottom of your heart! :highfive:

Instructions
    USB debugging must be enabled on the phone and the bootloader must be unlocked!
    1. Download attached archive TWRP_Root_Moto_One_Vision.zip and extract files from it in the following order::
    - TWRP-3.3.1_Installer_Motorola_One_Vision.zip, Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip, Magisk Installer, MagiskManager copy to External SDcard in your phone.
    2. Load phone in fastboot mode, then connect it to PC, then start an executive file .bat. At the end of flashing the phone will reboot into bootloader-mode and then TWRP again.
    3. In the Recovery at the very beginning we put a checkmark in the checkbox to avoid this request in future, and give permission to modify the system for writing.
    4. Go to the Wipe page and run the Format Data for decryption. Enter "yes" for the request. Exit to the Main Menu and reboot to Bootloader.
    5. Attention! You mus BOOT into Recovery mode (DO NOT INSTALL it !), through the command:
    Code:
    6. Flash an archive TWRP-3.3.1_Installer_Motorola_One_Vision.zip which will make TWRP permanent.
    NOTE: If you want to keep the stock Recovery , do not install this archive, but in order to boot into TWRP you will need to run the command from Step 5 every time.
    7. Configure TWRP via “Settings”-page (time, time zone, language, etc.) as you want.
    8. Go to “Install” page and flash the Magisk Installer , and flash Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip
    9. Reboot in System. Phone will reboot several times, don`t worry. Perform initial settings again.
    10. Install MagiskManager.apk, because the application installed in the system generates an error and does not start.

Now your device has a custom recovery TWRP and Root rights! :good: :victory:

01/10/2019 New instruction have been made
    Fixed: Removed the "Enable MTP" button.

Note: Who will reinstall the new TWRP build over the old one, follow these steps:
    1. Download new TWRP_Root_Moto_One_Vision.zip
    2. Load into Recovery mode via the command:
    Code:
    3. Install TWRP-3.3.1_Installer_Motorola_One_Vision.zip
    4. Flash Magisk installer, Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip.
    5. Reboot in the Recovery again.
    6. Try to adjust the brightness, connect USB-OTG, check the absence of the "Enable MTP" button.

Old instructions
    Friends! I got the Root for this device.
    I'm not saying it's the only way to get a Root. I suggest something I used on my own device.
    You are responsible for everything you do with your device!

Getting Root was performed on firmware XT1970-3_KANE_RETEU_DS_9.0_PSA29.160-30

Attention! The process of receiving the Root will delete all your data from the device.
    1. The bootloader must be unlocked on the device beforehand.
    2. Extract files from the archive https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xgTVlIXOFWq59I1-D9bnRlj1heJycT_I :
    - vbmeta.img, vbmeta_patch.img and boot_patch.img to the adb folder;
    - MagiskManager-v7.3.4.apk to a convenient folder for you. It will then need to be copied either to the phone memory or to the SD Card.
    3. Load the device into fastboot mode and connect it to your PC.
    4. Flash vbmeta.img with the command:
    Code:
    5. Flash boot_patch.img with the command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot_a boot_patch.img
    6. Flash vbmeta_patch.img command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta_patch.img
    7. Load the device into the system by pressing the Start button. Phone will reboot in Recovery where there will be a warning that it is necessary to execute Factory reset. It is necessary to give your consent.
    The phone will reboot several times again, don't worry.
    8. Perform the initial setup. Install MagiskManager-v7.3.4.apk.
    9. Launch the MagiskManager application. He will offer to update the application, click the Yes button. The phone will reboot.
    Your device now has Root permissions and access to the system!
    :) I'm continuing with my friend to create TWRP
    I have rewritten the manual, replaced the files, made the manual easier and more accessible.
    Here is the KANE_Primary_Flash script for linux users: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mwlyoyua8wzs8h2/KANE_Primary_Flash.sh/file

Just put it in the firmware directory and run the following commands:

Code:
    chmod 755 KANE_Primary_Flash.sh
    .//KANE_Primary_Flash.sh/file

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

There's no use to reflash the full firmware. Just the vbmeta.img. Well for me flashing the full firmware with the vbmeta.img didn't worked so I had to flash the vbmeta file again. But tho you need to make sure you're using the same version android build as the one in the zip file :) @lia3367

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Steps that worked for me:

1: Go to settings -> About phone
    2: Check if your build number is PSA29.160-50 (Scroll down until you find your Build number
    3: Press the Build number multiple time until you see the message "You are now a developer"
    4: Go back to settings -> Developer options
    5: Check allow OEM unlocking
    6: Reboot to fastboot mode
    7: Get your bootloader's unlock code following the instructions here: https://motorola-global-portal.cust.../unlock-your-device-a?utm_source=ausdroid.net
    8: In terminal run
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock [the code you got in your email]
    9: Reboot your phone and follow the setup
    10: Download attached archive TWRP_Root_Moto_One_Vision.zip and extract files from it in the following order::
    11: Reboot to bootloader and flash the vbmeta.img with
    Code:
    12: Boot into twrp with
    Code:
     fastboot boot ~/adb/TWRP-3.3.1_Motorola_One_Vision.img
    # if your phone hangs at the TWRP splash screen reboot to bootlaoder and do
    Code:
    fastboot -w
    then boot into twrp again
    13: Follow the steps 7.8.9.10 from this post