• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[TWRP][3.4.0-14][instantnoodle]Unofficial TWRP for OnePlus 8/8 Pro Unified(Stable)

Search This thread

kitcostantino

Mar 21, 2011
Mayberry
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8
Man, XDA has gotten even more hostile over the years. 😂

Here's my old man two cents:
I picked up a OP9 and had TWRP within a couple of weeks. I subsequently needed dual sim, so I picked up a 8 Pro. Reading through the TWRP thread, I was baffled at first that the 9 had TWRP on OOS 11 and the 8 Pro did not. In bits and pieces and across multiple posts here and in other threads gathered the issue is primarily the encryption scheme/partition scheme used on the 8 pro vs the 9.

When dude said "it's a shame..." he wasn't 💩 on the dev, but just conveying for such great hardware to not have recovery is disappointing. That being said, of course, as it has been said multiple times, anyone who feels compelled can develop TWRP themselves, but it's a daunting task for those who already know how to do such, so how fruitful could it be for someone new to compiling TWRP?

The whole [why doesn't he go back to Android 10] argument is a moot point. I actually did that and found I preferred OOS 11 without TWRP on the 8pro simply bc of all of the issues OOS10 had including TWRP and what did/didn't work fully as it does on the OP9. Even rolling back is not a solution IMHO.

The reality is at this point, it's a waiting game. Before I bothered to read too deep, like a fool, I messaged @Nebrassy to ask if they had plans to add OP8pro to their supported devices. I had sent similar messages to @mauronofrio back when I first got the OP6t and they well well received. @mauronofrio has been an amazing asset to many of us these last few years. I am grateful and thankful for all of his efforts and wish him the best in all he does in life. I also fully respect his decision to move on from this.

Had I bothered to read through all of the threads, I would have known, as @osmosis has stated multiple times, that @bigbiff and @Lossyx have been and are continually working on TWRP for the 8 pro. So mea culpa for not reading thoroughly in the first place.

However, every time someone lands here and posts a question, etc it's not time to grab pitchforks and torches. It's not like the 1st post or any other thread conveys the current status clearly.

Even now, it's not like the group (idr which platform it was on/don't know what platform it is currently on) where recovery for the 8 pro for OOS 11 and beyond is actively being worked on is evident or stated clearly.

Perhaps a small post or a link in the 1st post stating current OOS11 status or how/where to get involved/donate/etc would go a long way.

Perhaps OnePlus could make it worlds easier by unifying the encryption scheme used across recent devices in a future update.

I say old man bc I have had devices like the Droid Turbo where we had to wait over a year for a BL unlock and even longer for TWRP and devices like the Droid Bionic where proper TWRP was never a thing. Mind you, we were grateful when we got Safestrap. As simple end-users we should be grateful and appreciative of whatever we get.

With android, the reality is Devs do not reap huge benefits spending their time, energy, and often money making things for the community/greater good. As end users, we are owed a huge pile of jack squat. So being hostile, even to each other, is completely, utterly counter-productive.

The thread and the situation with the 8 pro on OOS 11+ is not obvious to the casual observer without considerable reading and thread bouncing. Ive been kicking around here a minute or two, and it took me quite a while.

So before we unleash smart-alec responses drowning in sarcasm, maybe we should consider a new thread that is evident with links for testers to get involved, help, donate etc. After all, if you're not willing to test or donate, you have missed the point of this place.

Just my old man .02.

Last edited:

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
I wanna test custom roms and be able to just flash back with nandroid backup

So, I know zero about development or recovery but would it be a option / possibility to make a TWRP for OP8/Pro that can do this one thing? I
Even if you wanted to install a semi working recovery, it still needs to be able to decrypt.for backups AFAIK, not sure that's working.

As for back ups.. swift back up for me has been superb.

Also Evo X has everything you could need from OOS and is probably the best custom ROM for the 8 pro / 8 / 8T.

No it's not a Nand but it's the best there is at the moment.

Reactions: kitcostantino

Imprezzion

Dec 12, 2011
Gorredijk
OnePlus 8 Pro
Even if you wanted to install a semi working recovery, it still needs to be able to decrypt.for backups AFAIK, not sure that's working.

As for back ups.. swift back up for me has been superb.

Also Evo X has everything you could need from OOS and is probably the best custom ROM for the 8 pro / 8 / 8T.

No it's not a Nand but it's the best there is at the moment.

I have been running EvoX for the past month and a half. It's basically perfect. Swift backup is also my go to but it still takes more time then just being like, nah this ain't it, go to TWRP, flash stock backup, continue where u left off. Lol.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
I have been running EvoX for the past month and a half. It's basically perfect. Swift backup is also my go to but it still takes more time then just being like, nah this ain't it, go to TWRP, flash stock backup, continue where u left off. Lol.
Totally agree, just trying to help the chap, if he hadn't already done it..

I'm running evo myself.

Best of both worlds, I did go back to OOS when I had a problem and immediately regretted it.

Evo is second to none for me.

PS: whatever happened to clockwork mod?

Reactions: kitcostantino

anonxlg

Sep 3, 2011
New oneplus 8 owner here, I'm reading up as much info as I can, but I'm confused about a few things regarding:

NOT WORKING:
- ANDROID 11 support
- Backup Restore
- System and vendor image flash

Since I'm on the latest oos, does that mean I can't install twrp? How does lineage 18.1 work if android 11 doesn't work on it? Backup/restore doesn't work, so no making fully system backups? How can you flash custom roms if you can't flash system/vendor?

I already unlocked my bootloader. I'm trying to figure out what's my next steps if I want to try out a custom rom. Ideally, I'd like to make a nand backup of vanilla oos before proceeding, but it doesn't sound like that's possible.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
New oneplus 8 owner here, I'm reading up as much info as I can, but I'm confused about a few things regarding:

Since I'm on the latest oos, does that mean I can't install twrp? How does lineage 18.1 work if android 11 doesn't work on it? Backup/restore doesn't work, so no making fully system backups? How can you flash custom roms if you can't flash system/vendor?

I already unlocked my bootloader. I'm trying to figure out what's my next steps if I want to try out a custom rom. Ideally, I'd like to make a nand backup of vanilla oos before proceeding, but it doesn't sound like that's possible.
Go to Evo X then check my post which is #76

You'll find it in the 8/8pro unified development section.

I've detailed everything

aviator.OO7

Oct 4, 2015
Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
*/

Features:
- TWRP boots;
- Fastboot boot is working;
- Decryption is working.
- Vibration is working.
- System, Vendor and Product partitions mount is working but you can't modify them.
- You can flash magisk and others kernels.
- You can flash ROMs.
- Format Data works.

NOT WORKING:
- ANDROID 11 support
- Backup Restore
- Fastbootd
- System and vendor image flash

Install guide (Reccomended):
Acutally seems oneplus (or directly android 10) re-introduced the recovery partition so you should only flash it in recovery partition or you can try to boot it from fastboot. For now only boot it.
To flash:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery_a twrpname.img
fastboot flash recovery_b twrpname.img

To boot:
Code:
fastboot boot twrpname.img

Tips:
If you have some problems with backup, like 255 error or something similar please check this guide: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6/how-to/255-error-twrp-backup-restore-999-t3801632
For the Bacups use always "system_image" and "vendor_image" instead of "system" and "vendor".

Download:
TWRP 3.4.0-14 by mauronofrio

TWRP 3.4.0-2 Test by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.4.0-1 Test by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.4.0-0 Test by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-10 Test by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-10 Test Installer by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-8 Test by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-7 Test by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-4 Test by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-4 Test Installer by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-2 Test by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-1 Test by mauronofrio
TWRP 3.3.1-0 Test by mauronofrio

Reccomended ADB and Fastboot binaries:

Adb and Fastboot Installer

Source code:
https://github.com/mauronofrio/android_bootable_recovery
https://github.com/mauronofrio/android_device_oneplus_instantnoodle_TWRP
Kernel source: precompiled stock one

My Telegram TWRP Support Group:
https://t.me/twrp_Mauronofrio

Donations:

Credits:
I want to say a big thanks to the tester @Fentadroid

Created 2020-05-18
can i dump persist.img and boot.img using this method on T mobile oneplus 8 android 11?

How about the camera? How does the support compare to stock firmware?

jamescable

Feb 3, 2011
Louisville
Nexus 7 (2013)
OnePlus 7 Pro
Could you please confirm where you found this info and post a link.
Thanks
Screenshot_2021-09-26-15-31-14.png
Screenshot_2021-09-26-15-31-58.png
Screenshot_2021-09-26-15-31-06.png

Reactions: GIKE

Top Liked Posts