• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[TWRP][3.4.0-14][instantnoodle]Unofficial TWRP for OnePlus 8/8 Pro Unified(Stable)

Search This thread

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
Wonder who 'll be the first to try it....I really hope it'd work. The fact that we have a (nearly a fully working) TWRP is amazing, credit to all those involved. Are you gonna give it a shot @dladz ? I remember you from the Huawei P20 Pro days....always sound advice from you :)
Haha cheers man . I'm sitting here with Evo X installed.. haven't needed twrp but definitely nice to be able to flash on the fly. If I was flashing then yea I'd jump on it straight away..

Won't be tonight I'm afraid..

U good??

Long time mate.

Reactions: Lycidias

gsser

Dec 22, 2012
Eskisehir
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 8 Pro
Using data of a x rom on a y rom will end up in

Most likely, Soft Brick-bootloop.
Small chance of booting but there will be lots of issues due to compatibility.

It is not recommended to try. If someone else says so, ignore them as they have no idea what they are saying. This is like the basic principal of rooting/flashing roms. Do NOT mix datas of two different roms.

Last edited:

jamescable

Feb 3, 2011
Louisville
Nexus 7 (2013)
OnePlus 7 Pro
Using data of a x rom on a y rom will end up in

Most likely, Brick-bootloop.
Small chance of booting but there will be lots of issues due to compatibility.

It is not recommended to try. If someone else says so, ignore them as they have no idea what they are saying. This is like the basic principal of rooting/flashing roms. Do NOT mix datas of two different roms.
Soft bootloop. A brick is hard to do on most phones these days. As long as you can get into fastboot and/or edl, your phone isn't bricked. What would happen in a situation like this is you would just need to format internal storage and it will boot. Anytime you go from OOS to custom or custom to OOS, YOU MUST format data

Reactions: dladz

gsser

Dec 22, 2012
Eskisehir
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 8 Pro
Soft bootloop. A brick is hard to do on most phones these days. As long as you can get into fastboot and/or edl, your phone isn't bricked. What would happen in a situation like this is you would just need to format internal storage and it will boot. Anytime you go from OOS to custom or custom to OOS, YOU MUST format data
Soft brick soft bootloop same thing.

Brick divides into two. Hard brick and soft brick. Been that way since 2010.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
Great thing now though, storage is left alone... which is what we wanted all along...so a swift back up can simply be restored..for me that's all that I required...was tired of nuking the phone every time..was a ballache

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
Soft brick soft bootloop same thing.

Brick divides into two. Hard brick and soft brick. Been that way since 2010.
Ive bricked a Sony, to me a brick is when it's literally as useful as an actual brick .

The Sony wouldn't even turn on, truly broken.. no power nothing.

To me if it's recoverable then it's not bricked..

But that's me

gsser

Dec 22, 2012
Eskisehir
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 8 Pro
Ive bricked a Sony, to me a brick is when it's literally as useful as an actual brick .

The Sony wouldn't even turn on, truly broken.. no power nothing.

To me if it's recoverable then it's not bricked..

But that's me
Well you can call it whatever you want... Its just an old habit of me using that term and not bootloop. Back then people used simple terms such as soft brick or hard brick hell even if you google it now, it still comes like that.

Its just that it gets annoying when someone tries to hit up with facts but misses completely haha.

Btw sony phones are literally a pain. I had 2 xperia phones. Both hard bricked .____.

Speaking of bootloop, never seen anyone saying "hard" bootloop if there is even "soft" bootloop. Bootloop is just bootloop.

Anyways enough OT.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
Well you can call it whatever you want... Its just an old habit of me using that term and not bootloop. Back then people used simple terms such as soft brick or hard brick hell even if you google it now, it still comes like that.

Its just that it gets annoying when someone tries to hit up with facts but misses completely haha.

Btw sony phones are literally a pain. I had 2 xperia phones. Both hard bricked .____.

Speaking of bootloop, never seen anyone saying "hard" bootloop if there is even "soft" bootloop. Bootloop is just bootloop.

Anyways enough OT.
I've been using Android since day one on the G1

To me and many others if you say bricked then it's broken.

Each to their own just know that people will assume that it's bust if you say it..

kitcostantino

Mar 21, 2011
Mayberry
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8
Not looking like it's gonna be simple, but I did figure out after I wiped in TWRP restoring is not so simple. At first, I couldn't figure it out. By trial and error I figured out I'm gonna have to restore Super first, then go from there.
Hoping I don't actually have to MSM, but the jury is still out.

Jury is back in. I farkled something proper.
Sentenced to 2 hours of MSM and manually replacing files. Lol. Can't recover. Wish I had reset/wiped in software vs recovery. May have ended different for today. Someone has to be the first monkey shot into space. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20210928_210313.jpg
    IMG_20210928_210313.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20210928_210553.jpg
    IMG_20210928_210553.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20210928_211057.jpg
    IMG_20210928_211057.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:

jamescable

Feb 3, 2011
Louisville
Nexus 7 (2013)
OnePlus 7 Pro
Not looking like it's gonna be simple, but I did figure out after I wiped in TWRP restoring is not so simple. At first, I couldn't figure it out. By trial and error I figured out I'm gonna have to restore Super first, then go from there.
Hoping I don't actually have to MSM, but the jury is still out.

Jury is back in. I farkled something proper.
Sentenced to 2 hours of MSM and manually replacing files. Lol. Can't recover. Wish I had reset/wiped in software vs recovery. May have ended different for today. Someone has to be the first monkey shot into space. Lol.
So msm did not fix it?

kitcostantino

Mar 21, 2011
Mayberry
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8
Booting into MSM was. a bear. Finally got it just meow. Usually it's easier. The 8 pro is my 3rd OnePlus device so I usually just power down and hold vol up and vol down, then plug in, hear the chime and all is good. This time, it kept booting into recovery after I connected to the PC. . Prob bc I borked the system. Live and learn. Lol I got back to 11.0.4.4 just now. Time to rinse, root, and repeat. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20210928_220806.jpg
    IMG_20210928_220806.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 8T
Booting into MSM was. a bear. Finally got it just meow. Usually it's easier. The 8 pro is my 3rd OnePlus device so I usually just power down and hold vol up and vol down, then plug in, hear the chime and all is good. This time, it kept booting into recovery after I connected to the PC. . Prob bc I borked the system. Live and learn. Lol I got back to 11.0.4.4 just now. Time to rinse, root, and repeat. Lol.
FYI, on the 8T running OOS, you have to:
1. Remove the lock screen password before restoring the data partition. And it's recommended to remove the lock screen before backing up data, though I've never done that.
2. Also have to do a factory reset and reboot the phone so that the system will properly setup the data partition.
3. Only then can one restore the data backup successfully on the 8T.
I'm not saying that that's required for the 8, but just pointing out that it can be more complicated than one expects.

On the system side of things I backup only boot, dtbo, and super (which contains system, system_ext, vendor, and product).

kitcostantino

Mar 21, 2011
Mayberry
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8
It will sound horrible to most, but I don't use a lock screen. My phone stays in my pocket. And that's all the security I need. Lol. But I totally get what you mean. If I used a lock screen/pin/etc I would remove it before backing up. ;)

Update: One of the things that is awesome having TWRP is actually just being able to flash the Magisk apk versus patching a boot img. Woot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-09-28-22-54-10.png
    Screenshot_2021-09-28-22-54-10.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

jamescable

Feb 3, 2011
Louisville
Nexus 7 (2013)
OnePlus 7 Pro
It will sound horrible to most, but I don't use a lock screen. My phone stays in my pocket. And that's all the security I need. Lol. But I totally get what you mean. If I used a lock screen/pin/etc I would remove it before backing up. ;)

Update: One of the things that is awesome having TWRP is actually just being able to flash the Magisk apk versus patching a boot img. Woot.
You could easily flash the magisk app in adb sideload just like ROMs and gapps

Top Liked Posts