• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question TWRP 3.5.1 not recognising USB-OTG

Search This thread

picitup

Jan 9, 2011
Deal
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Hi All

I'm having some fun with TWRP and OTG. I've unlocked my bootloader and installed TWRP 3.5.1 and try as I might, it won't recognise an SD card in my USB-C to SD card adapter.

If I go to Mount/Mount USB storage it says "USB storage mounted" but there's only 1 button at the bottom which is Unmount

If I go to Select Storage, there are 2 options, Internal and USB-OTG (0 MB). It's not possible to select the OTG option.

If I go to Wipe/Advanced Wipe/USB-OTG/Repair or Change file system is says:

Present: No
Size: 0MB
Free: 0MB

Removable: Yes
Used: 0MB
Backup Size: 0MB

The I go to Wipe and get the error:

/system/bin/fsck.fat -y process ended with ERROR: 2
Unable to repair USB-OTG.
Unable to locate storage device

I've tried various SD cards. If I plug the same USB-C -> SD card adaptor ito a USBC-> USBA adpator, all cards work fine on my PC with Windows. I can format them and copy files to them. I've tried formatting as FAT32 and exfat but nothing works. I've also tried a USB stick (fat32) I had knocking around which works on my PC but not in the phone with
TWRP.

Any pointers would be much appreciated. I've spent hours on this. I can's start my phone into MIUI as I've already wiped the partitions. I've got the EU rom and want to flash it so need OTG to work to install ROM.

HELP!!!!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:

apd

Dec 8, 2006
London
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Hi All

I'm having some fun with TWRP and OTG. I've unlocked my bootloader and installed TWRP 3.5.1 and try as I might, it won't recognise an SD card in my USB-C to SD card adapter.

If I go to Mount/Mount USB storage it says "USB storage mounted" but there's only 1 button at the bottom which is Unmount

If I go to Select Storage, there are 2 options, Internal and USB-OTG (0 MB). It's not possible to select the OTG option.

If I go to Wipe/Advanced Wipe/USB-OTG/Repair or Change file system is says:

Present: No
Size: 0MB
Free: 0MB

Removable: Yes
Used: 0MB
Backup Size: 0MB

The I go to Wipe and get the error:

/system/bin/fsck.fat -y process ended with ERROR: 2
Unable to repair USB-OTG.
Unable to locate storage device

I've tried various SD cards. If I plug the same USB-C -> SD card adaptor ito a USBC-> USBA adpator, all cards work fine on my PC with Windows. I can format them and copy files to them. I've tried formatting as FAT32 and exfat but nothing works. I've also tried a USB stick (fat32) I had knocking around which works on my PC but not in the phone with
TWRP.

Any pointers would be much appreciated. I've spent hours on this. I can's start my phone into MIUI as I've already wiped the partitions. I've got the EU rom and want to flash it so need OTG to work to install ROM.

HELP!!!!

Cheers

Stevel
I had a similar problem. My solution was to connect the phone to a PC and transfer the ROM zip file to the internal storage using adb push and then to flash it using TWRP.

RoughNeck1971

Feb 26, 2013
Hamburg
Unfortunately that is the case here. USB-OTG doesn't work. You have to connect PC/Laptop and say "mount USB". Then you have access from PC/Laptop to your storage. We need an updated version that OTG is supported.

picitup

Jan 9, 2011
Deal
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Hi thanks for your reply. It's a bit of a bugger that OTA didn't work as I dutifully backed up to it after installing TWRP as this is your 'get out of jail free' card.

I did something similar to you, but I couldn't get adb push to work for me. It would spend 10 minutes diddling about before it complained the file system was read-only.

Next up after plenty of formatting and factory resetting in TWRP, I got the phone back up off it's knees and managed to enable USB debugging. I could then see the phone in Windows explorer, created a directory /rom and copied the ROM in there.

Next up was to install the zip directly from TWRP and it's worked like a dream! Whew! lots of hours messing about, but now I have EU ROM 21.6.9 beta.

Brill :)
Cheers

Steve