• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

TWRP 3.5.2-11 for Sunfish[Testing]

Search This thread
So if i just want to flash this twrp temporary, i ll just have to put 'fastboot boot twrp.img' right?

Does that also let me install Magisk onto my GSI rom or can i also install the A/B GSI using this twrp?

If you want to flash a temporary yes every time you want to reboot to twrp you have to 'fastboot boot' the image. You should just be able to copy the kernel image over to device storage and use magisk to patch the image and flash is manually in fastboot.

Edit add: is there any possible way to flash some kind of other image other than the warning that comes up regarding the unlocked bootloader every time you reboot the device?

Did you also try the TWRP backup function and even more importantly the restore function in "temporary" boot mode?
I have not had a chance to explore further. I work too much LOL. Now that you mention it, I have a device that does exactly what it's supposed to and I haven't really had to use TWRP too much. For the most part I can flash in Magisk, whereas the others I can flash in Franco Kernel Manager. Having a fully working fastboot is the icing on the cake though.

d33dvb

Sep 30, 2007
I tried booting the twrp image using fastboot boot twrp.img and it stalled at "booting...." Im using eng.stk kernel with lzma support and lineage 18.1

Am I doing something wrong?

# fastboot boot Downloads/sunfish_twrp11-test2.img
Sending 'boot.img' (65536 KB) OKAY [ 2.211s]
Booting

Never boots, just hangs here

Last edited:

niubboxp

Dec 9, 2015
Pls help a noob here
To install the twrp i must unlock the bootloader before is it right?
After unlocking there is any step by step guide?

Zaxx32

Mar 23, 2019
Morgantown
Moto G5 Plus
Moto G7
Dunno if it's changed much...you'll prolly have to do some homework tho...not super 'noob friendly' but ask Qs in the Q & A section and search helps too...:geek:

Last edited:

d33dvb

Sep 30, 2007
I was able to flash it yes, however could not access any data on the device due to encryption password I could not get by. I assume wiping would fix this but did not test.

d33dvb

Sep 30, 2007
Installation steps I took that ultimately ended up wiping data for no reason and still twrp did not stick on reboot.

Reboot to fastboot mode.

fastboot flash boot_a sunfish_twrp11-test2.img
fastboot flash boot_b sunfish_twrp11-test2.img

Use volume buttons and select Recovery mode and tap power button.

WARNING YOU WILL LOSE YOUR DATA. MAKE A BACKUP FIRST
Tap wipe, Format Data

reboot recovery

adb push sunfish_twrp11-test2.img /sdcard

Install, then Install Image, choose /sdcard/sunfish_twrp11-test2.img
Install recovery ramdisk and swipe to flash

adb push lineage-18.1-20210617-nightly-sunfish-signed.zip /sdcard

adb push blu_spark_r105-pxl4a_f65bf4cba.zip /sdcard

Install and reboot, works, but back at lineage recovery on next boot, so Im at a loss. YMMV

Reactions: mangokm40

mangokm40

Jan 13, 2019
Installation steps I took that ultimately ended up wiping data for no reason and still twrp did not stick on reboot.

Reboot to fastboot mode.

Tap wipe, Format Data

reboot recovery

Install and reboot, works, but back at lineage recovery on next boot, so Im at a loss. YMMV
Interesting...
You flashed TWRP first, and custom kernel (blu_spark) at the end.

Nikamura's instructions here seem to indicate kernel installed first.

Reboot to fastboot mode.

Tap wipe, Format Data

reboot recovery

You need to write TWRP to Ramdisk if you want it to boot into twrp after you reboot until we get recovery.zip

I built TWRP for android11 test3 build with June firmware.
There is link at OP.

I tested it with android11 FW(RQ3A.210605.005 Jun 2021).

Was just about to tell you that safety net fails within a few minutes on test2. As soon as you flash your final safety net patch you get a few minutes where everything works as you expect it. Then within a few minutes safety net is completely lost. Have not tried test3 yet due to the frustration from test2.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This worked with stock firmware. TWRP sticks and loads no issues but can not backup data.

I:addFile '/data/bootchart' including root: 1
    ==> tar_append_file(TAR=0x0xb4000070569aee30 (""), realname="/data/bootchart", savename="[NULL]")
    tar_append_file(): setting header block...
    tar_append_file(): setting header path...
    ==> set selinux context: u:eek:bject_r:bootchart_data_file:s0
    failed to lookup fscrypt tar policy for '/data/bootchart' - 'c4682ab2000000000000000000000000'
    I:Error adding file '/data/bootchart' to '/data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/13231JEC204307/1970-04-29--01-33-18_RQ3A210705001/data.f2fs.win000'
    Error creating backup.
    I:ERROR tarList for thread ID 0
    Error creating backup.
    I:InfoManager saving '/data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/13231JEC204307/1970-04-29--01-33-18_RQ3A210705001/data.info'
    createTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255
    Backup Failed. Cleaning Backup Folder.
    This error pertains to the parallel apps or multi user ID. If you are not sure if you have parallel apps running on your phone, you can do a quick check by going into your Root browser and look in these locations.

/storage/emulated
    /data/system/
    data/system_ce/
    data/system_de/
    data/misc/
    data/misc_ce/
    data/misc_de/
    data/user/
    data/user_ce/
    data/user_de/

If you see any folder named 999 then you have parallel apps enabled on your device. TWRP in it's current form will not allow you to create a backup or restore a backup with parallel apps enabled.
    I'm pretty sure but not positive that on these

I'm pretty sure but not positive that recovery uses boot.img and so does magisk, so by flashing magisk patched boot, you are then overwriting the twrp boot flashed previously.
    After installing twrp, to install magisk, don't patch the boot image. Instead change the magisk apk to a .zip by simply changing it from Magisk-v23.0.apk to Magisk-v23.0.zip and flash it in twrp.
    Sir,
    If we turn off "update LineageOS recovery" in the Updater screen, do you think we can keep
    TWRP & kernel after OTA update?
    Do not auto update because twrp will be overwritten by LOS recovery and so will the kernel. I download the update on lineageos.org website and save to my internal storage along with the twrp.img, magisk.zip, and kernel.zip. I reboot to recovery. Install lineage update zip. Then install kernel then install twrp per directions noted on previous post. The gapps survive so no need to reboot to recovery and reflash those. Just flash the magisk.zip to get root back. Boot to system. It will finish updating and you will have permanent twrp and rooted if you flashed the magisk.zip.
    Didn't realize it was that sensitive to OTAs....damn :unsure:
    Kernel listed on OP doesn't work with July update for permanent TWRP. What I did to get it to work with July update was the following.
    Put the ElementalX-P4a-1.15 kernel I uploaded here on the internal storage of my phone. I rebooted to bootloader. fastboot boot boot.img That's the twrp.img file. When I got to twrp temporarily. I clicked on install, and installed the ElementalX-P4a-1.15.zip on my internal storage. I then booted back into system to make sure everything was ok then rebooted to bootloader. Again I temporarily booted twrp by fastboot boot boot.img When I got into twrp,I followed the same steps to install twrp permanently. Go to Install, Touch Install Image, Install recovery ramdisk, selected the twrp image, Swipe to confirm flash, Reboot to system. Twrp will be installed permanently. Whether you were rooted or not before you did these steps, you will not be rooted after this but all you have to do is reboot back to recovery and install the magisk.zip file. Do not flash the patched magisk.img in the bootloader or twrp will be gone. I have tested this on stock and on Lineage OS custom rom. Others may work but I didn't test those so if anyone has, can report back.
    Are you using a PC for the fastboot commands, or are you using your phone for all? TWRP Test3, EX kernel, and magisk, are the 3 files needed, right? (On July stock). Do you lose any data?
    You will not lose data and the only fastboot command I use on PC is fastboot boot boot.img to temporarily boot twrp. After this, PC is not needed and once twrp is installed permanently, PC should not be needed. Just understand that if your on stock, you will more than likely not be able to OTA because it will probably fail because twrp is installed. I'm on LOS custom where it will update because its a custom rom. If you update on a custom though, after you install rom, you need to flash kernel and install twrp again before you reboot phone, otherwise twrp will be overwritten by whatever custom rom's recovery is.
    [RECOVERY] TWRP 3.4.0-0 - TeamWin Recovery Project

Introduction:

Team Win Recovery Project or TWRP for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It's a fully touch driven user interface , no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Key Features:

Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
    XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout true theming!
    Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
    Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
    Ability to choose to compress backups now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times)
    Onscreen keyboard
    Easy selection of internal/external storage

In addition to the above new features, TWRP features a scripting engine that allows an app to send commands to the recovery for the recovery to perform during startup. We call this scripting engine OpenRecoveryScript. This engine will be put to use immediately in the GooManager app. GooManager will be able to install recoveries automatically for most supported devices. The app will also let you choose to install multiple zips from within Android, wipe, and run a backup.

We are looking for other talented developers, themers, and device maintainers if they are interested in helping with a free, open source project.

Source Code:

sunfish Device Config: https://github.com/tnakamur/android_device_google_sunfish

DOWNLOAD:
    Hello, this is a test build for sunfish users.

It has decryption working, touch, adb and backup and restore seems to work. Super partition volumes can be mounted, and the super partition can be backed up.

Android11 FW
    test3
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xhyIrLohcVY3xKHCeBoFAUzCmfBupibk/view?usp=sharing
    I built it with June firmware.
    I tested it with June firmware.
    It needs custom kernel with LZMA ramdisk support.
    I built my custom kernel, and link is below.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e8xFI5SuR8ty5X6R8WXVqrKLDOxprJcF/view?usp=sharing
    Maybe, some other custom kernel works fine.

test2
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t0VOZK2XlyxvC8a_o9XWI7ETy6XMS6bT/view?usp=sharing
    I fix repack ramdisk problem.
    It works 'Install Recovery Ramdisk'.
    It needs custom kernel with LZMA ramdisk support.
    I built my custom kernel, and link is below.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e8xFI5SuR8ty5X6R8WXVqrKLDOxprJcF/view?usp=sharing
    Maybe, some other custom kernel works fine.

test1
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EJhdSTbstkjVqx3YaowC-glWD6kJCN9Q/view?usp=sharing
    It's tested FW version RQ1A.RQ1A.210205.004(Feb FW).
    I don't test any other FW version.
    It doesn't work 'Install Recovery Ramdisk'. It's only for fastboot mode.
    I'm working fixing it and build TWRP with June FW.

Andriod10 FW https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PZaU9PpYmdcAHlyi0zhNwEGnBsAHDW_E/view?usp=sharing
    It's tested both FW version QD4A.200805.001 and QD4A.200805.003.
    And my custom kernel is OK too.

What to backup
    * super
    * data
    * boot

What to restore
    * super
    * data
    * boot

Repacking TWRP into Boot partition
    To repack TWRP into the boot partition to override stock recovery when rebooting to recovery, perform the following steps
    1. adb push <latest_twrp_boot.img> /sdcard/
    2. reboot to bootloader and fastboot latest boot.img of TWRP
    3. Go to Install
    4. Touch Install Image
    5. Select your TWRP boot.img from /sdcard
    6. Install recovery ramdisk
    7. Swipe to confirm flash
    8. Reboot to recovery and android to verify installation
    9. Reinstall magisk, if you want

Credit and Thanks
    @bigbiff - his big work for TWRP
    @HolyAngel - I refer his kernel commit
    @wrongway213 - I refer his kernel commit, too

If you like my work, donations are always welcome.
    Don't forget to hit thanks and rate the thread nicely, it's free:)
    I built TWRP for android11.
    There is link at OP.

I tested it with android11 FW(RQ1A.210205.004 Feb 2021).
    It doesn't work 'Install Recovery Ramdisk'.
    I'm working fixing it and build with June FW.
    Use TWRP temporary
    ①Test TWRP, 'fastboot boot twrp.img'

If you use TWRP permanently(install recovery ramdisk), you use custom kernel
    that supports TWRP(LZMA ramdisk).
    I use my custom kernel(TKernel), some other kernels maybe OK.
    My custom kernel download link is OP.

①Test my custom kernel, 'fastboot boot boot.img'
    ②If you don't find any problem, flash custom kernel, 'fastboot flash boot boot.img'
    ③adb push <twrp.img> /sdcard/
    ④reboot to bootloader and fastboot latest boot.img of TWRP
    ⑤Go to Install
    ⑥Touch Install Image
    ⑦Select your TWRP boot.img from /sdcard
    ⑧Install recovery ramdisk
    ⑨Swipe to confirm flash
    ⑩Reboot to recovery and android to verify installation
    ⑪Reinstall magisk, if you want
    I built TWRP for android11 test3 build with June firmware.
    There is link at OP.

I tested it with android11 FW(RQ3A.210605.005 Jun 2021).
    I have been busy for the past few months, so I couldn't build TWRP.
    I built TWRP version 3.5.2 and will try to build TWRP for android 11.