[TWRP][3.7.0-13][instantnoodle]TWRP for OnePlus 8/8Pro ][OFFICIAL][BETA 3]

Search This thread

Raiz

Forum Moderator / XDA Welcome Team
Staff member
The new "3.6.0-11-b1" version did not work for me (but I think I'm misusing it). I booted it via fastboot while running the first Alpha or AOSPA 12 (Sapphire) to flash some sweet addons and NikGApps. But it's been a long time since I flashed a device, and I had to get myself up-to-date about how A/B partitions work, fastbootd, etc... And the new way of flashing ROMs: fastboot.

So back to my issue: I first flashed TWRP with fasboot (in both slots), then rebooted to recovery. But TWRP couldn't read storage, Cache/Dalvik, etc...
It displayed "(0MB)" next to "storage", the /sdcard folder was empty (when it didn't while running the ROM), and whenever I want to wipe a partition it says "failed to mount [partition]".

I think the problem comes from the fact that TWRP doesn't support the Android 12 encryption scheme, does it ? (because my device is encrypted, and idk how to uncrypt, then re-encrypt (if that's even a thing) the device after flashing the Gapps etc.)

If so, I'm left with one big question, how could I possibly flash stuff to this ROM, or any other Android 12 ROM without the assistance of TWRP. I'm sure there are some ways, but I'm not aware of them as far as I searched.

The new "3.6.0-11-b1" version did not work for me (but I think I'm misusing it). I booted it via fastboot while running the first Alpha or AOSPA 12 (Sapphire) to flash some sweet addons and NikGApps. But it's been a long time since I flashed a device, and I had to get myself up-to-date about how A/B partitions work, fastbootd, etc... And the new way of flashing ROMs: fastboot.

So back to my issue: I first flashed TWRP with fasboot (in both slots), then rebooted to recovery. But TWRP couldn't read storage, Cache/Dalvik, etc...
It displayed "(0MB)" next to "storage", the /sdcard folder was empty (when it didn't while running the ROM), and whenever I want to wipe a partition it says "failed to mount [partition]".

I think the problem comes from the fact that TWRP doesn't support the Android 12 encryption scheme, does it ? (because my device is encrypted, and idk how to uncrypt, then re-encrypt (if that's even a thing) the device after flashing the Gapps etc.)

If so, I'm left with one big question, how could I possibly flash stuff to this ROM, or any other Android 12 ROM without the assistance of TWRP. I'm sure there are some ways, but I'm not aware of them as far as I searched.
Right now there IS no true a12 for 8/8pro. All a12 ROMs are still using OOS 11 as a base, using A11 blobs, etc.

Have you tried the all in one tool? Just curious

Raiz

Staff member
Right now there IS no true a12 for 8/8pro. All a12 ROMs are still using OOS 11 as a base, using A11 blobs, etc.
So is there a chance I get TWRP working for AOSPA 12? Is this version of TWRP supporting AOSPA 12 since it's based on OOS 11 ? I tried some workaround that used to solve this problem back then (aka format the data partition) but it did not work out, so I'm kinda stuck

What all in one tool are you talking about? I didn't even know there was one
Can it help in flashing stuff ? that would be awesome!
Just put in All in one tool for Android in your search bar and, check it out. I have used it before for flashing on the oneplus 6t and, 7. I have not tried it yet on the 8. But, it is designed to work on the 8 too

Reactions: mobile_sensei
8/Pro now has official builds thanks to maintainer @infected_ but didn't have the website updates for it committed in time, for any wondering what's up with that.

.img: https://build.twrp.me/twrp-3.6.0_11-0-instantnoodle.img
.zip: https://build.twrp.me/twrp-installer-3.6.0_11-0-instantnoodle.zip
@Raiz
You need to use these.
fastboot flash recovery_a twrp-3.6.0_11-0-instantnoodle.img
fastboot flash recovery_b twrp-3.6.0_11-0-instantnoodle.img
The .zip is an installer you can flash after flashing any ROMs that overwrite twrp with another recovery so you don't lose twrp.

Reactions: osm0sis

Raiz

Staff member
Hi, I'm back with some news!
I tried it, but it did the same thing: mounting issue and 0MB Internal Storage
@Raiz
You need to use these.
fastboot flash recovery_a twrp-3.6.0_11-0-instantnoodle.img
fastboot flash recovery_b twrp-3.6.0_11-0-instantnoodle.img
The .zip is an installer you can flash after flashing any ROMs that overwrite twrp with another recovery so you don't lose twrp.
I did this too (that's what I did in the first attempt) but again, the same results.
I went digging and found this guide elsewhere, and it did work (with some exceptions)
Setting a password or a PIN didn't do much, same for decryption (because the partions couldn't be mounted to begin with).
But the changing file system of the data partition to EXT2 and back to EXT4 did work! (the data was erased, but I got "Internal storage (101331MB)" (My OP8 is 128Gb so that make sense).
Rebooting to system after that would make you bootloop or boot back to TWRP
So I tried to format the data, then booted to system.
It booted, so I transferred the zips to my internal storage and went back to TWRP.
When in TWRP again, the memory was (0MB)

So that's enough trouble for me today... If you have any solutions please share them. But for now, and since this seems to only happen with AOSPA, I deem this an AOSPA bug. (i'm sure it has smt to do with A12 encryption process or smt along those lines

One last question: is it possible to flash the NikGApps package through Magisk?
AOSPA has already the Google services so I might be better off flashing only add-ons...

Thanks everybody for you help up until now ;)

I did this too (that's what I did in the first attempt) but again, the same results.
I went digging and found this guide elsewhere, and it did work (with some exceptions)
Setting a password or a PIN didn't do much, same for decryption (because the partions couldn't be mounted to begin with).
But the changing file system of the data partition to EXT2 and back to EXT4 did work! (the data was erased, but I got "Internal storage (101331MB)" (My OP8 is 128Gb so that make sense).
It booted, so I transferred the zips to my internal storage and went back to TWRP.

So that's enough trouble for me today... If you have any solutions please share them. But for now, and since this seems to only happen with AOSPA, I deem this an AOSPA bug.

AOSPA has already the Google services so I might be better off flashing only add-ons...
@osm0sis , any input on this? He seems to be the only one
@Raiz , I believe the data partition is supposed to stay f2fs

rodken

Jan 11, 2010

So that's enough trouble for me today... If you have any solutions please share them. But for now, and since this seems to only happen with AOSPA, I deem this an AOSPA bug. (i'm sure it has smt to do with A12 encryption process or smt along those lines

There is something clearly 'unscrupulous' with your data partition.

Try changing file system to ext2, then reboot the recovery, then do the change back to ext4.

Or

Remove the pattern lock and enable PIN Lock/ Password lock.
Once done, power off your device.
Boot your device into the TWRP Recovery Mode
Enter a new PIN/ Password when prompted.
TWRP Recovery should start decrypting system files of the device now.
Wait for the process to get completed and try accessing your storage.

Last edited:

Raiz

Staff member
There is something clearly 'unscrupulous' with your data partition.

Try changing file system to ext2, then reboot the recovery, then do the change back to ext4.

Or

Remove the pattern lock and enable PIN Lock/ Password lock.
Once done, power off your device.
Boot your device into the TWRP Recovery Mode
Enter a new PIN/ Password when prompted.
TWRP Recovery should start decrypting system files of the device now.
Wait for the process to get completed and try accessing your storage.
Well maybe, in fact the first time I flashed AOSPA, I did a mistake. The installation was going great, but when the device was rebooting to fastbootd, I clicked on the powerbutton and it stopped the process. I ended up in crash dump mode, but got out of it and ended up in bootloader mode. From there I just did the flashing process all over againt ("fastboot update ...") and it worked.

Reactions: rodken

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
@osm0sis , any input on this? He seems to be the only one
@Raiz , I believe the data partition is supposed to stay f2fs
No idea. I've heard of that issue a couple times but that's about it. Does it work for everyone else? Might be something screwed up on the device and a fastboot format or an MSM would fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raiz

Raiz

Staff member
No idea. I've heard of that issue a couple times but that's about it. Does it work for everyone else? Might be something screwed up on the device and a fastboot format or an MSM would fix it.
I think I'll go with fastboot format, as I'm not able to install the required QD_loader drivers to my windows PC so that MSM tools recognises my phone in EDL mode.
1- Is this what you're referring to (the "fastboot format:ext4 [partition]" command)? Could you detail the whole fastboot format process please? (so I don't get it wrong and brick my phone again lol)
2- And if so, what partition should I format?
3- Should I erase it before formatting (with "fastboot erase [partition]")?
4- And to what file system should I format my partition to? (EXT4 or F2FS, I don't know the regular format of the partitions. If you could check your partition's format on your working OP8 and tell me it would be amazing, unless you know already what format is required for each partitions)

In order for you to have the whole story summed up, here's what I did:
1- Unlocking bootloader [success]
2- Entering the command : "fastboot update [the-aospa.zip]", the flashing begins
boot
dtbo
odm
product
recovery
super_empty
system_ext
system
vbmeta_system
vbmeta
vendor
There was nothing else in the zip, except a text file named "android-info.txt" with "board=kona" written in it.
3- At some point during the flashing process, the phone reboots to fastbootd, but I interput the reboot and instead of booting fastbootd, it just turns off and my terminal returns an error message
4- I try to reboot, it shows the boot logo but end up in crash dump mode
5- I go to sleep (stressed the hell out)
6- I manage to reboot the phone to bootloader mode (with the buttons, no commands)
7- Entering the command : "fastboot update [the-aospa.zip]"
8- I do NOT touch anything
9- AOSPA boots
10- What I believe is AOSPA's recovery mode asks me to format userdata,

I formatted userdata with TWRP I believe (by doing what I described earlier the EXT2 back to EXT4 trick mentioned above).
But appart from that, it's all I've done.

And thanks for your reply!

mordantly

Apr 16, 2016
You have to format /data then reboot to twrp to restore. Obviously backup only contains apps and contacts. Pictures and downloads or ota zips will be lost!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its not possible for 12r! I couldn't install twrp and now it says "The current image boot/recovery have been destroyed and can not boot". Now i really need to get out of this loop and wouldnt root anymore
    Again, wrong place to ask! OP 8 series has MSM and is easy to restore ... no idea what to do with your 12R besides take it to your service center. You REALLY need to ask in your own device forum, where users know what do.
    TWRP for OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro
    h1641Xl - Imgur (1).jpg

TWRP is an open source, community project. TWRP development is done by a large support community with many people who are willing to answer questions and help people with their devices either through our IRC channel or on forums like xda-developers, and zulip-chat.

A custom recovery is used for installing custom software on your device. This custom software can include smaller modifications like rooting your device or even replacing the firmware of the device with a completely custom "ROM".

Team Win strives to provide a quality product. However, it is your decision to install our software on your device. Team Win takes no responsibility for any damage that may occur from installing or using TWRP.

Code:
    #include

/*
    * Yea, though I walk through the valleys of c++ and java, of the shadow of death on these forums,
    * I will fear no evil and i will develop and code restless: for thou art with me and my keyboard;
    * thy rod and thy staff they comfort me, and my mouse..
    */

A13 support is still a WIP, but most things are working, A13 is all new, keep that in mind.

WORKING:
    Decryption
    ADB Sideload
    Format Data
    Flashing zips (kernels and ROM's)
    Backup/Restore
    MTP is working
    adb is working
    OTG
    more...

NOT WORKING
    tell me

Download

Beta 3

Flashable zips:

https://devuploads.com/h6omb3dsxg5n -> twrp_op8_ext4-3.7.0-b3.zip - 34.8 MB
    https://devuploads.com/d6j8gpbyfbzf -> twrp_op8_erofs-3.7.0-b3.zip - 34.8 MB

Flashable imgs

https://devuploads.com/gxv3t5onoapm -> twrp_op8_ext4-3.7.0-b3.img - 100.0 MB
    https://devuploads.com/vg662syh8j7j -> twrp_op8_erofs-3.7.0-b3.img - 100.0 MB

(Please disable any adblockers downloading from my links)

Instructions

Windows

Install oneplus usb driver, after disabling driver signature enforcement

Download and install platform tools, unzip and add the folder to Windows path,

"Settings > Advanced System Settings > Environment Variables > New"

Example -> http:///imgur.com/a/x8XOofQ

open command prompt, or powershell, and:

fastboot flash recovery_a twrpname.img
    fastboot flash recovery_b twrpname.img

Linux

Download and add to path (.bashrc) platform-tools:

export PATH=$HOME"/platform-tools:$PATH"

dont forget udev rules if you're using ubuntu based distro:

https://github.com/M0Rf30/android-udev-rules

open a terminal and:

fastboot flash recovery_a twrpname.img
    fastboot flash recovery_b twrpname.img

that's all.

Telegram Group:

Feel free to join!

Source Code:

https://github.com/infectedmushi/android_bootable_recovery
    https://github.com/bigbiff/android_device_oneplus_instantnoodle
    https://github.com/TeamWin/android_bootable_recovery
    https://github.com/systemad/android_device_oneplus_instantnoodle

Credits:
    @bigbiff
    @Lossyx
    @Captain_Throwback for original tree
    @mauronofrio for original tree
    TWRP team
    uploaded beta 3. it's possible now to backup persist partition also.

twrp-op8-3.6.0_11-infected-b3.img
    twrp-op8-3.6.0_11-infected-b3.zip

* 0c94cd7 - fstab: it's now possible to backup persist partition.
    * b99d112 - module load: Try loading prior modules first
    * 5ab53dc - libresetprop: use the latest header
    * 60927bc - kernel_module_loader: Set a prop after completing
    * 3a95d18 - fscrypt v1: support legacy ioctl
    * 540c802 - build: add option to create recovery installer zip
    * 7284ace - vndk: remove exclusion in recovery
    * aa2f760 - update_engine: handle payload that contain xbl_lp5 partitions
    * f1db62e - libresetprop: update to magisk HEAD
    * b65b045 - soong: Add TARGET_LEGACY_HW_DISK_ENCRYPTION conditional

regards.
    uploaded beta 6.

changelog:

* Add custom kernel for recovery
    * crypto: only set crypto state and type if not already set
    * crypto: only show FBE error if device is encrypted
    * digest: fix checking of digest on restore
    * fs_mgr: allow deleting merged snapshots
    * merges: allow user to perform snapshot merges in advanced menu
    * mtp: don't create storage device after format data
    * recovery: Allow kernel to read and write unlabeled files
    * repacker: add root overwrite warning

regards.
    uploaded beta 8.

* sdcard: only bind mount sdcard after successful preparation of data
    * Add TW_QCOM_ATS_OFFSET flag to manually set time/date offset
    * System_Property_Get: Allow specifying multiple prop file paths
    * update RECOVERY_INSTALLER_PATH to proper path
    * fastbootd: Check for and run startup script if script exists
    * Adding TARGET_OTA_ASSERT_DEVICE flag for custom device asserts
    * theme: move TW_THEME_VERSION to variables.h
    * theme: clean up TW_THEME_VERSION shell command
    * prebuilt: update magiskboot to v24.1 stable

regards.
    back to business guys. feels good to be ok, in good health and back to XDA..

i'll compile a new build even today.

let's keep rolling again!!

regards.